Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

smileys on polite discussions

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

smileys on polite discussions

Postby ursaminortaur » April 7th, 2018, 2:54 pm

A smiley that I added to a comment in polite discussions has been removed.

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=10983&start=20#p130547

I can see nothing in the rules prohibiting the use of emojis and the FAQ says that they are ok but shouldn't be overused.
The "Future of olite debates" thread does raise the issue of not using long strings of smileys like :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but itself has large numbers of posts using smileys in a sensible fashion.

I'm not one who generally uses smileys a lot but thought it was appropriate to put one in for this polite comment.
Smileys aid understanding and the site provides an easy way of adding them when posting.
Hence I find it perplexing that this one has been removed and would request that it be re-instated.

Thanks

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: smileys on polite discussions

Postby redsturgeon » April 7th, 2018, 3:41 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:A smiley that I added to a comment in polite discussions has been removed.

I can see nothing in the rules prohibiting the use of emojis and the FAQ says that they are ok but shouldn't be overused.
The "Future of olite debates" thread does raise the issue of not using long strings of smileys like :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but itself has large numbers of posts using smileys in a sensible fashion.

I'm not one who generally uses smileys a lot but thought it was appropriate to put one in for this polite comment.
Smileys aid understanding and the site provides an easy way of adding them when posting.
Hence I find it perplexing that this one has been removed and would request that it be re-instated.

Thanks

Hi ursaminortaur

Your smiley was added to the line:

"Sorry - you are equating the government's handling of brexit with enlightened rule"

The effect thus became:

"Sorry - you are equating the government's handling of brexit with enlightened rule :lol: "

I'd say that has the effect of suggesting that the poster referred to has made a completely laughable point and is less than polite. If that was your intention then it succeeded and the poster referred to complained about it.

If your intention was something else then you failed and thus demonstrated both the difficulty of trying to communicate nuances across the internet and also why we feel that smileys are generally best avoided on Polite Discussions.

If I notice a possibly inappropriate smiley or two then I usually delete them. If a smiley is used in a completely unambiguous way that cannot upset anyone then I let them go.

I hope you can live with the decision regarding your smiley deletion, after careful consideration, I will not be reinstating it.

John

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » April 7th, 2018, 4:10 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:A smiley that I added to a comment in polite discussions has been removed.

Thanks

Hi ursaminortaur

Your smiley was added to the line:

"Sorry - you are equating the government's handling of brexit with enlightened rule"

The effect thus became:

"Sorry - you are equating the government's handling of brexit with enlightened rule :lol: "

I'd say that has the effect of suggesting that the poster referred to has made a completely laughable point and is less than polite. If that was your intention then it succeeded and the poster referred to complained about it.

If your intention was something else then you failed and thus demonstrated both the difficulty of trying to communicate nuances across the internet and also why we feel that smileys are generally best avoided on Polite Discussions.

If I notice a possibly inappropriate smiley or two then I usually delete them. If a smiley is used in a completely unambiguous way that cannot upset anyone then I let them go.

I hope you can live with the decision regarding your smiley deletion, after careful consideration, I will not be reinstating it.

John

Sorry I think you totally over-reacted. I found his statement incongruous but was NOT laughing at him or being impolite.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 7th, 2018, 5:39 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:
Sorry I think you totally over-reacted. I found his statement incongruous but was NOT laughing at him or being impolite.

As I said in my last post, he clearly thought you were laughing at him, I can understand why he might make that assumption, that is why the smiley had to go.

John

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » April 7th, 2018, 5:55 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:

As I said in my last post, he clearly thought you were laughing at him, I can understand why he might make that assumption, that is why the smiley had to go.

John

From my history of posting on this site you should be aware that I always try to be polite and post based upon facts rather than attacking any person.
I am therefore upset by such aspersions about my character in supposing that I would be laughing at the poster and am exceedingly concerned that you would alter the text of my post on such an assumption. I realise that you need to keep an eye on what is posted on Polite Discussions but consider that you have gone much too far in this instance and hope that in future you will take a more considered approach. Your removal of the smiley in this instance leaves me utterly at sea as to when such smileys might be used since as far as I can see any use in a response, although perfectly in keeping with the rules of this site and for posting on Polite Discussions, could be wrongly construed by a poster and summarily banned by yourself.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 8th, 2018, 7:36 am

ursaminortaur wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:

John

From my history of posting on this site you should be aware that I always try to be polite and post based upon facts rather than attacking any person.
I am therefore upset by such aspersions about my character in supposing that I would be laughing at the poster and am exceedingly concerned that you would alter the text of my post on such an assumption. I realise that you need to keep an eye on what is posted on Polite Discussions but consider that you have gone much too far in this instance and hope that in future you will take a more considered approach. Your removal of the smiley in this instance leaves me utterly at sea as to when such smileys might be used since as far as I can see any use in a response, although perfectly in keeping with the rules of this site and for posting on Polite Discussions, could be wrongly construed by a poster and summarily banned by yourself.

I am surprised that you feel so strongly about one emoticon, clearly if you are worried about this, the easiest way to avoid any problems is by not using laughing smileys.

John

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 8th, 2018, 8:07 am

This is an interesting and rare discussion with a mod. As a totally disinterested party I come down on the side of redsturgeon here and particularly his comment that it is often difficult to pick up nuances across the internet. It is not what the OP did or said that matters, it is the effect that that has on the one being criticised/ commented upon.

Dod

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 8th, 2018, 8:17 am

ap8889 wrote:Emoticons are really useful to help convey good intention, sometimes putting a wink or smile on a comment will enable the reader to see it was a joke or humorous and not to be taken as a slight.

I would hope that they are allowed on Lemon Fool.

Hi ap8889,

Please note that this thread is a discussion only of the use of the laughing smiley :D on the polite discussion board.

In the past we had some posters who seemed to like to respond to posts that they disagreed with with a " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ".

This came across as both lazy and a rude way of trying to devalue a serious argument put forward by other posters, a shorthand for "I think your point is some worthless and laughable that I cannot be bothered to respond to it with reasoned argument".

A row of such emoticons in response to a joke on "Laughing Lemons" or a witty comment in Beerpigs Snug is absolutely fine and not open to misinterpretation.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: in response to someone's serious point on Polite Discussions is likely to inflame situations where posters are already entrenched in deeply held opposing opinions and as such it has been suggested that they are not used.

In the instance above a poster complained about the use of the :lol: and so it was removed.

I think you are correct that the use of :) or ;) can usefully convey good intentions and in the thread mentioned above there is indeed the use of :)
that clearly is intended in this way and is difficult to misconstrue. I think the :lol: is slightly different as explained above, it can easily been misinterpreted, and in this case was removed.

I have to say that this is become one of the more surreal moderation discussions that I can remember, I am somewhat reminded of the Lilliputian preference for the breaking of boiled eggs :D

John

PS When trying to post this message I was prevented with the pop up:

Your message contains too many smilies. The maximum number of smilies allowed is 20

who do I respond to in order to get my :lol: back

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » April 8th, 2018, 12:52 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:

John

:lol:

(HTH...)

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » April 8th, 2018, 2:48 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

(HTH...)

Thanks CryptoPlankton though i'd prefer it back on the post it was removed from.
Of course I could assume you were laughing at me and demand the immediate removal of that smiley from your post but I'm not that paranoid.
More seriously though in response to my question as to when such smileys might be used John's suggestion seems to be that on Polite Discussions the :lol: shouldn't be used at all which I think is over restrictive. I can see that emoji's can by their nature be open to mis-interpretation but we are supposed to be adults and should not jump to unwarranted conclusions.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 5th, 2018, 9:12 am

redsturgeon wrote:PS When trying to post this message I was prevented with the pop up:

Your message contains too many smilies. The maximum number of smilies allowed is 20

who do I respond to in order to get my :lol: back

I don't seem to have any problem with posting more than 20 smileys...

:-)     :-}     :-D     :-)     :-}     :-D     :-)     :-}     :-D
;-)     ;-}     ;-D     ;-)     ;-}     ;-D     ;-)     ;-}     ;-D

Gengulphus

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » May 7th, 2018, 5:37 pm

I really don't see what all the fuss is about!

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 7th, 2018, 5:54 pm

Melanie wrote:I really don't see what all the fuss is about!
It can get quite volatile over there. We are trying to encourage polite discussion. Just reacting to someone's point with :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: is just designed to irritate and doesn't contribute anything to the discussion. So we tend to delete them.

Regards,
Chris

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » May 8th, 2018, 11:13 am

csearle wrote:
Melanie wrote:I really don't see what all the fuss is about!
It can get quite volatile over there. We are trying to encourage polite discussion. Just reacting to someone's point with :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: is just designed to irritate and doesn't contribute anything to the discussion. So we tend to delete them.

Regards,
Chris

Ok. I suppose if it's in a sub-forum called "Polite discussions", then there's an expectation that certain guidelines are followed.

Point taken.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”