Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Posting images, or links to images, via the Imgur hosting site

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Posting images, or links to images, via the Imgur hosting site

Postby Itsallaguess » April 17th, 2018, 7:06 pm

This is a set of instructions on how to upload pictures to the free Imgur picture-depository website, which will then allow you to post a link to that picture within a Lemon Fool post, or even embed the picture itself in a Lemon Fool post, so long as doing so stays within the Lemon Fool posting rules (more of that later..).

The process is really simple and relatively quick -

1. Go to the Imgur upload page - https://imgur.com/upload

2. Press the 'Browse' button on the above page, and locate the image on your local device that you wish to upload.

3. Once the image has been uploaded, you'll be presented with a page showing your uploaded image, similar to this - https://imgur.com/a/L27V1

4. Right-click on the image, and using the context-menu, select the option that says 'Copy Image Location'. Doing so puts a copy of the actual image URL onto the clipboard of your device.

5. If your browser doesn't show you the option to 'Copy Image Location' when you right-click the image, you will hopefully have the alternative option to 'Open image in new tab', which you can use as an alternative method of gaining access to the actual image-URL that you'll need to copy to your clipboard. Select that option, and then COPY the image-URL from the new tab if you confirm that it opens your required image.

6. Open a new tab in your browser, and clear the URL bar of this new browser-tab.

7. Right-click in the tab URL bar, and select the 'Paste' option. This should paste the image URL copied to your clipboard in Step 4 or Step 5 into the URL bar.

8. Press <RETURN> to go to the pasted image URL page. On this tab you should now see an image of your uploaded picture on it's own. This is an important verification step to ensure that you've got the actual image-URL in your clipboard.

9. In your Lemon Fool post you've now got two options -

9a. Option 1 is to simply paste the URL on your clipboard into a post, and it will be available for someone to select when reading the post, and that will allow them to visit the URL themselves and see the image you've uploaded. With this option you'd simply see this URL as a click-able link as in this example here -

https://i.imgur.com/sILZnNh.png

9b. Option 2 is to embed the actual image into your post, by first pasting the clipboard image-URL into a post, then highlighting the image URL in the post (left-click the mouse and select/highlight the URL text in the posting box), and then selecting the 'Img' option at the top of the Lemon Fool posting box -

In the Lemon Fool posting box, when I paste the image-URL, highlight it and then select the 'Img' button on the bar above the posting-box, I will then see the following text in my posting-box -

The above 'img' tags either side of the image-URL will then embed the actual image into a Lemon Fool post, and in this Option 2 example, the post would then look like this once complete -

10. When posting links in Lemon Fool posts, or embedding actual images into them, using the 'Preview' option at the bottom of the posting-box is a very useful step in making sure that the post will look the way you want it to, before you actually commit to the next 'Submit' step. Using the 'Preview' option, you can verify any URL links in your post before committing it, using the right-click 'Open link in new tab' option, just to check that your posted URL's go to the intended destinations.

Whilst the above process may seem complicated, it's a really simple couple of steps that don't take a lot of time once you've carried out the procedure and get familiar with it.

One thing to be aware of if you're thinking of embedding images into posts is the Lemon Fool rules regarding this.

The Lemon Fool rules clearly state -

All embedded images (including data and graphs) in posts must:-

Include an additional link (URL) to a web page where the original may be viewed in context, or (where the image is hosted on either a domain owned or controlled by the poster, or a hosting site account e.g. Imgur, Picasa, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive) be followed by a statement that the poster owns (or is legally permitted to post) the content of the image. If this is later to be found to be incorrect, appropriate action will be taken by administrators. Images which do not comply with these requirements may be removed without warning.

Lemon Fool rules link here - app.php/rules

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Posting images, or links to images, via the Imgur hosting site

Postby Itsallaguess » April 17th, 2018, 7:09 pm

I've compiled the above instructions to help with anyone who might want to post an image, or a link to an image, that they want to upload to the Imgur website.

On reading them back they do seem to be a little complicated, but I can assure anyone that's not familiar with the process that it's really not, and it's a really quite simple set of steps once they've been worked through once or twice. Certainly I'd not expect anyone to actually need the instructions once they've followed the above process once or twice.

Anyhow, questions regarding this type of process crop up fairly regularly here on Lemon Fool, so I thought it would be handy to capture something that can be linked to next time anyone asks.

With thanks to PinkDalek for sanity-checking the above instructions.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 17th, 2018, 8:22 pm

TLDR -

1. Use this link, then find the URL of the actual uploaded image, rather than the Imgur page of it, and then use that URL in your post- https://imgur.com/upload

2. Use the 'Img' button above the Lemon Fool posting-box to embed your image in a post, rather than post a link to it.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Postby Instep » April 19th, 2018, 8:27 am

Itsallaguess wrote:This is a set of instructions ....

9a. Option 1 is to simply paste the URL on your clipboard into a post, and it will be available for someone to select when reading the post, and that will allow them to visit the URL themselves and see the image you've uploaded. With this option you'd simply see this URL as a click-able link as in this example here -

https://i.imgur.com/sILZnNh.png

9b. Option 2 is to embed the actual image into your post, by first pasting the clipboard image-URL into a post, then highlighting the image URL in the post (left-click the mouse and select/highlight the URL text in the posting box), and then selecting the 'Img' option at the top of the Lemon Fool posting box -

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thanks for this.
I have a problem when viewing images embedded as in para 9b above.
This is because of my parental controls provided by Vodafone broadband.
I have set imgur.com to be allowed through the router, and can see the link in para 9a, but in 9b, I just see an icon for a broken link.
Very odd.
Instep

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » April 19th, 2018, 7:31 pm

I may be particularly dim, but I've never been able to post a hyperlink! If I refer to a newspaper article, obviously it is only logical to provide a link, everybody else knows how to do it, I presume it's simple enough, how do I do it?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 19th, 2018, 8:10 pm

scottnsilky wrote:
I may be particularly dim, but I've never been able to post a hyperlink!

If I refer to a newspaper article, obviously it is only logical to provide a link, everybody else knows how to do it, I presume it's simple enough, how do I do it?

The simplest method is to simply ensure that you've got a tab on your browser showing you what you want to link to in a post, so in your example it might be an article in an online newspaper.

Then, you just need to select that tab, and somewhere near the top of your screen you'll see a URL bar in your browser with the website address of the article that's on your screen at that time.

At that point, you can normally just right-click in the URL address bar and from the context menu, click the 'Select all' option. If you've not got that option, then all you're trying to do at this point is highlight the complete website address in your URL bar, and then perform a COPY of that website URL onto your device clipboard.

You can copy the website URL address a number of ways; another might be to just drag your mouse over the website URL address, so the complete address gets highlighted, and then you could carry out a CTRL C to do the same thing.

At this point, we'll assume the website URL address is on your device clipboard, so all you then need to do it to PASTE that website URL address into a Lemon Fool post here. Right-clicking your mouse will usually present you with a PASTE option, or you could just do a CTRL V to paste the website URL address from your clipboard into the post.

Once it's in a post that you're compiling, you can then highlight it in the Lemon Fool post-window, and then select the 'URL' option button at the top of the Lemon Fool posting box, and that will wrap some URL tags around the website URL text.

If you then compile the rest of your post, and carry out a 'Preview' option before committing it, then you can test out the website URL address that you've posted, just to make sure that people reading your post will head towards the page that you've intended to post about.

Hope this helps. If any of the above isn't clear, then please just ask.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 19th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Instep wrote:
I have a problem when viewing images embedded as in para 9b above.

This is because of my parental controls provided by Vodafone broadband.

I have set imgur.com to be allowed through the router, and can see the link in para 9a, but in 9b, I just see an icon for a broken link.

Have a read of this, as I think changing your DNS settings might be a way around the Vodafone/Imgur issue -

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadba ... -p/2573680

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » April 19th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
scottnsilky wrote:
I may be particularly dim, but I've never been able to post a hyperlink!

If I refer to a newspaper article, obviously it is only logical to provide a link, everybody else knows how to do it, I presume it's simple enough, how do I do it?

The simplest method is to simply ensure that you've got a tab on your browser showing you what you want to link to in a post, so in your example it might be an article in an online newspaper.

Then, you just need to select that tab, and somewhere near the top of your screen you'll see a URL bar in your browser with the website address of the article that's on your screen at that time.

At that point, you can normally just right-click in the URL address bar and from the context menu, click the 'Select all' option. If you've not got that option, then all you're trying to do at this point is highlight the complete website address in your URL bar, and then perform a COPY of that website URL onto your device clipboard.

You can copy the website URL address a number of ways; another might be to just drag your mouse over the website URL address, so the complete address gets highlighted, and then you could carry out a CTRL C to do the same thing.

At this point, we'll assume the website URL address is on your device clipboard, so all you then need to do it to PASTE that website URL address into a Lemon Fool post here. Right-clicking your mouse will usually present you with a PASTE option, or you could just do a CTRL V to paste the website URL address from your clipboard into the post.

Once it's in a post that you're compiling, you can then highlight it in the Lemon Fool post-window, and then select the 'URL' option button at the top of the Lemon Fool posting box, and that will wrap some URL tags around the website URL text.

If you then compile the rest of your post, and carry out a 'Preview' option before committing it, then you can test out the website URL address that you've posted, just to make sure that people reading your post will head towards the page that you've intended to post about.

Hope this helps. If any of the above isn't clear, then please just ask.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thanks for that, itsallaguess, I knew it was simple!
dp

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » April 19th, 2018, 8:43 pm

scottnsilky wrote:Thanks for that, itsallaguess, I knew it was simple!
dp

You can try it out over at Testing 123... viewforum.php?f=28

Here's something short I prepared earlier:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11289

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » April 19th, 2018, 9:29 pm

That's really helpful of you, PD, I'm a bit distracted at the moment, I'll try in the morning, when I have more time.

Ever so grateful for your trouble,

dp

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 4th, 2020, 3:21 pm

One point to note is that if you create an account with imgur, upload an image and post a link to it, that image will apparently be deleted if the imgur account isn't used for 6 months. Anyone who then views the post here at TLF will then only see a broken link.

As far as I know, images uploaded anonymously are not expired by imgur.

So somewhat counter-intuitively, it's probably best not to use an account on imgur.

(which is what the above instructions do, of course)

Scott.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 4th, 2020, 11:08 pm

swill453 wrote:One point to note is that if you create an account with imgur, upload an image and post a link to it, that image will apparently be deleted if the imgur account isn't used for 6 months. Anyone who then views the post here at TLF will then only see a broken link.

As far as I know, images uploaded anonymously are not expired by imgur.

So somewhat counter-intuitively, it's probably best not to use an account on imgur.

(which is what the above instructions do, of course)

Scott.

Yes - I have been uploading on imgur without an account for well over a year and my original photos are still present. However over the past week I have noticed that I am obliged to watch an advertising video for about 20 seconds before I can upload a picture. And, of course, I'm informed that the video will not appear if I open an account.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » January 14th, 2022, 10:16 am

re: posting images:

I have taken to using the excellent imgur.com/upload as a result of seeing it here.
I tried to post an (apparently large) image via imgur.com but got a message "Your images may only be up to 800 pixels high" (when previewing in tlf: it initially uploaded fine to imgur.com). This was easily rectified by me by a bit of cropping and resizing, but thought I'd post here to advise others or advise in case the limit wasn't known about / was not an intentional limit.

(Hope this is the right place to post this, but mods pls feel feel to move to where it should be)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 3rd, 2022, 10:25 am

I use
https://imgbb.com/
no need to sign in and get the right code (bb) for posting here

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » March 18th, 2022, 10:33 am

yorkshirelad1 wrote:re: posting images:

I have taken to using the excellent imgur.com/upload as a result of seeing it here.
I tried to post an (apparently large) image via imgur.com but got a message "Your images may only be up to 800 pixels high" (when previewing in tlf: it initially uploaded fine to imgur.com). This was easily rectified by me by a bit of cropping and resizing, but thought I'd post here to advise others or advise in case the limit wasn't known about / was not an intentional limit.

(Hope this is the right place to post this, but mods pls feel feel to move to where it should be)

As per https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33550&p=484850&hilit=pixels#p486805, the limit has increased from 800 to 1200 pixels
I just got the error message "Your images may only be up to 1200 pixels high". Works for me :-)

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”