Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Is there cut-off for responding to a thread

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Is there cut-off for responding to a thread

Postby GoSeigen » April 23rd, 2018, 3:47 pm

dspp wrote:GS,

The very simple answer from me is that I don't know. I don't Mod the area you are referring to. Your general point is being discussed amongst us Mods and in due course answer(s) will come out. I'd like to write a longer response but I have to go on a work call right now and then drive 6-hours to a work appointment, and then do it again. We all have similar commitments and it can as a result take many days to get a Mod position to anything out-of-the-norm. What appears to you as being a simple request can have many other aspects to it when we chew it over amongst ourselves. Please bear with us as we do this.

Didn't expect you personally to answer; just posed the question in reply when you dipped your oar in... but some sort of answer from someone would be nice.
By the way I can see that there are two very different ways of looking at the Prefs issue. I am very glad to see you effectively explaining and defending one point of view in as effective (and polite) way as you do as it causes me to think about it. Even if I don't instinctively agree with you. But I am just reading that debate when I have time in an attempt to learn, and I don't have any more time right now.

regards, dspp

Thanks dspp. In posting here I aim to share my good fortune of a wonderful education, broad background speaking multiple languages and working in other countries in both private and public sector, and long market exposure to help other readers understand their own investments better and improve the outcomes they personally can affect. Inevitably you come into situations where people hold strongly to an opposite view and that is where the debate and conflict arises. I hope TLF can continue to manage the nastier aspects of that conflict while also not closing down and stifling the accompanying debate.

[Perhaps the other way is Mark Taber's, where he campaigns politically to try to achieve a better outcome for the whole of a particular class of holders, or at least the retail investors -- paying less attention to the details.]

GS

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » April 25th, 2018, 9:24 pm

dspp wrote:The very simple answer from me is that I don't know.

GS, everyone,

Perhaps easier to do this in the open for everyone to see. We have been having a discussion within the Mods on a few things.

Firstly, we think we collectively got this particular one wrong, even though our motives were understandable if you sit where we sit. There are no hard and fast rules about when polls are or are not allowed, we each exercise our judgement if we think things are getting out of hand. Having reviewed your (you, GS) intended poll between ourselves please go ahead and post it (the poll) and continue with the relevant debate. We will monitor how the discussion then proceeds. Please all of you remain civil at all times, which indeed we can see most of you do, most of the time - thanks.

Secondly, for the avoidance of doubt we apologise for any confusion that we have caused any of you, and we are grateful for the restraint and support you have all shown. We want this to be a good forum for finance & investment matters with debate that is open, tolerant, civil, yet challenging and thought provoking. Please crack on in that vein.

Thirdly, we have reshuffled a few of the Mod allocations. It will take time for the Gods of Stooz & Clariman to do the necessary and in due course the eagle-eyed amongst you will notice some different Mod names in different places. The original Mod > area allocation was done on-the-fly at the start and we decided we could improve & refresh it. I am sure that exercise will be done again at some point in the future as changes can be helpful for everyone, and people's time & interests evolve. It is certainly not something you should take as criticism of any of the Mods if/when it happens.

Fourthly, this is not an invite to escalate things to the Biscuit Bar every time an individual poster feels miffed. Indeed if you are too often miffed then it is probably a good moment to reflect a tad longer before posting. However if you genuinely don't understand then by all means come here, or drop one of us a Private Message (PM).

Fifth, however much we might like to we cannot always guarantee to send you a PM if we Mod one of you. There are all sorts of reasons for this, but please just understand it will not always happen. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. By the way the default on Polite Discussions is that it probably won't happen - a slightly different modus operandi applies there. We will however ordinarily put Mod box statements on posts we have edited - no guarantees again, but ordinarily we will try to do that.

Regards,
dspp, for all the Mods

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 25th, 2018, 10:12 pm

dspp wrote:

GS, everyone,

Perhaps easier to do this in the open for everyone to see. We have been having a discussion within the Mods on a few things.

[...five points]

Thanks dspp for a thoughtfully written post and the PM letting me know. Will read it a few times and then crack on as you say!

Hopefully helps the OP too: I acknowledge my query was piggy-backing on the thread...

GS

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 26th, 2018, 10:53 pm

dspp wrote:

GS, everyone,

Firstly, we think we collectively got this particular one wrong, even though our motives were understandable if you sit where we sit. There are no hard and fast rules about when polls are or are not allowed, we each exercise our judgement if we think things are getting out of hand. Having reviewed your (you, GS) intended poll between ourselves please go ahead and post it (the poll) and continue with the relevant debate. We will monitor how the discussion then proceeds. Please all of you remain civil at all times, which indeed we can see most of you do, most of the time - thanks.

Secondly, for the avoidance of doubt we apologise for any confusion that we have caused any of you, and we are grateful for the restraint and support you have all shown. We want this to be a good forum for finance & investment matters with debate that is open, tolerant, civil, yet challenging and thought provoking. Please crack on in that vein.

Thirdly, we have reshuffled a few of the Mod allocations. It will take time for the Gods of Stooz & Clariman to do the necessary and in due course the eagle-eyed amongst you will notice some different Mod names in different places. The original Mod > area allocation was done on-the-fly at the start and we decided we could improve & refresh it. I am sure that exercise will be done again at some point in the future as changes can be helpful for everyone, and people's time & interests evolve. It is certainly not something you should take as criticism of any of the Mods if/when it happens.

Fourthly, this is not an invite to escalate things to the Biscuit Bar every time an individual poster feels miffed. Indeed if you are too often miffed then it is probably a good moment to reflect a tad longer before posting. However if you genuinely don't understand then by all means come here, or drop one of us a Private Message (PM).

Fifth, however much we might like to we cannot always guarantee to send you a PM if we Mod one of you. There are all sorts of reasons for this, but please just understand it will not always happen. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. By the way the default on Polite Discussions is that it probably won't happen - a slightly different modus operandi applies there. We will however ordinarily put Mod box statements on posts we have edited - no guarantees again, but ordinarily we will try to do that.

Regards,
dspp, for all the Mods

dspp,

Having looked at this a couple of times now, I have the following observations.

First, you cover a lot of great points, some raised on this thread and others which might be a surprise but perhaps have been percolating in the background. Summarising what I read as having been covered: the specific issue of my poll, and related points about the preference share debate; a general policy emphasis welcoming open debate on TLF; shuffling of Mods; use of biscuit bar in discussing moderation; reiterating that notification of moderation decisions will be optional.

I'd like to respond to just a couple of things.
Notification: it really would be good to make notification of mod decisions more the rule than the exception. When one aspires to have polite and civil discussion, notification helps in two important ways: it is itself courteous, and so sets a good example; and it helps the moderated poster understand where he has missed the mark and improve. The latter is important because it is a very well known finding in psychology that humans in general have a poor insight into their own behaviour and need the feedback of others. That feedback is often resented if uninvited -- as when one poster criticises another poster -- but correction by the Mods is different and expected: it is implied in our agreement with TLF when we sign up to the rules. ISTM that only the most insecure of individuals would persistently react negatively to moderation. For my part, I value any feedback, but strongly object to the silent deletions. I hope you all might give this a bit more consideration.

The topic of this thread i.e. thread discipline: I don't think you really addressed this clearly. You gave a broad encouragement of discussion, but does this mean you will actually allow threads to run if active, and freely allow new threads to be started? An example of closing down discussion happened again today when a new thread about Amber Rudd was promptly locked on Beerpig's Snug. This seems at odds with what you said about the "open debate" policy. Why? Because I wonder what is wrong with having two threads running on the same topic? Especially on different boards? Different boards have different participants and different focuses. Snuggers are barflies who want some light-hearted banter. Polite Discussion Fools enjoy taking a serious swing at each other (politely of course). So why should Snuggers be compelled to join the bare-knuckle fighting in Polite Discussions just because they happened to want to chat about Amber Rudd and entirely coincidentally there happened to be a similar discussion going on in the bear pit? Surely people can just be left to get on with it?

That's not to say one should NEVER close duplicate threads. As I have noted several times, if the same post is posted by the same user on two different boards at the same time, then of course that is a duplicate post and is a prime target for locking. But posts made by different people, uncoordinated, on their favourite boards?? Please, let them run (especially when it is Beerpig on his own board!!!)

That was just two points really but covered at length, for which apologies. And thanks again for the items you did post about -- much appreciated.

GS

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » April 26th, 2018, 11:06 pm

I will be quick. Inserts in red. I am working late on another time zone .....

GoSeigen wrote:
dspp wrote:

GS, everyone,

Regards,
dspp, for all the Mods

dspp,

Having looked at this a couple of times now, I have the following observations.

First, you cover a lot of great points, some raised on this thread and others which might be a surprise but perhaps have been percolating in the background. Indeed they have. We watch and think. Summarising what I read as having been covered: the specific issue of my poll, and related points about the preference share debate; a general policy emphasis welcoming open debate on TLF; shuffling of Mods; use of biscuit bar in discussing moderation; reiterating that notification of moderation decisions will be optional.

I'd like to respond to just a couple of things.
Notification: it really would be good to make notification of mod decisions more the rule than the exception. When one aspires to have polite and civil discussion, notification helps in two important ways: it is itself courteous, and so sets a good example; and it helps the moderated poster understand where he has missed the mark and improve. The latter is important because it is a very well known finding in psychology that humans in general have a poor insight into their own behaviour and need the feedback of others. That feedback is often resented if uninvited -- as when one poster criticises another poster -- but correction by the Mods is different and expected: it is implied in our agreement with TLF when we sign up to the rules. ISTM that only the most insecure of individuals would persistently react negatively to moderation. For my part, I value any feedback, but strongly object to the silent deletions. I hope you all might give this a bit more consideration. We understand this. It is practical considerations that mean we cannot guarantee it. Individual Mods do their best in whatever their particular circumstances are.

The topic of this thread i.e. thread discipline: I don't think you really addressed this clearly. You gave a broad encouragement of discussion, but does this mean you will actually allow threads to run if active, and freely allow new threads to be started? An example of closing down discussion happened again today when a new thread about Amber Rudd was promptly locked on Beerpig's Snug. This seems at odds with what you said about the "open debate" policy. Why? Because I wonder what is wrong with having two threads running on the same topic? Especially on different boards? Different boards have different participants and different focuses. Snuggers are barflies who want some light-hearted banter. Polite Discussion Fools enjoy taking a serious swing at each other (politely of course). So why should Snuggers be compelled to join the bare-knuckle fighting in Polite Discussions just because they happened to want to chat about Amber Rudd and entirely coincidentally there happened to be a similar discussion going on in the bear pit? Surely people can just be left to get on with it? I fully get it. We are individual gardeners. Some are faster to prune and weed than others. That is just how it is at an individual level. Similarly not all boards are clones in how we Mod them, due to history & etc. Again that is how it is. Is it perfect, no. Is anywhere ?

That's not to say one should NEVER close duplicate threads. As I have noted several times, if the same post is posted by the same user on two different boards at the same time, then of course that is a duplicate post and is a prime target for locking. But posts made by different people, uncoordinated, on their favourite boards?? Please, let them run (especially when it is Beerpig on his own board!!!) Yes I know. Que sera sera.

That was just two points really but covered at length, for which apologies. And thanks again for the items you did post about -- much appreciated.

GS

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 27th, 2018, 8:08 am

GoSeigen wrote:
The topic of this thread i.e. thread discipline: I don't think you really addressed this clearly. You gave a broad encouragement of discussion, but does this mean you will actually allow threads to run if active, and freely allow new threads to be started? An example of closing down discussion happened again today when a new thread about Amber Rudd was promptly locked on Beerpig's Snug. This seems at odds with what you said about the "open debate" policy. Why? Because I wonder what is wrong with having two threads running on the same topic? Especially on different boards? Different boards have different participants and different focuses. Snuggers are barflies who want some light-hearted banter. Polite Discussion Fools enjoy taking a serious swing at each other (politely of course). So why should Snuggers be compelled to join the bare-knuckle fighting in Polite Discussions just because they happened to want to chat about Amber Rudd and entirely coincidentally there happened to be a similar discussion going on in the bear pit? Surely people can just be left to get on with it?

That's not to say one should NEVER close duplicate threads. As I have noted several times, if the same post is posted by the same user on two different boards at the same time, then of course that is a duplicate post and is a prime target for locking. But posts made by different people, uncoordinated, on their favourite boards?? Please, let them run (especially when it is Beerpig on his own board!!!)

GS

Hi GS,

I closed the Amber Rudd thread on the snug. It was not closed because of the other thread on Polite Discussions. It was closed because the topic did not meet the remit of the Snug as:
"A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion"

I see no clash here with "an open debate policy". This decision was about keeping the appropriate debate to the right boards. Having seen the way the debate was going after one reply, I locked it. If the first response had been "light hearted banter" then I would not have intervened at that point. Sometimes a quick intervention is a good intervention.

As a general note though is it really the end of the world if one thread on a peripheral non-financial board gets shut down in a way that you don't agree with? As moderators we make decisions as we see them, they are not life or death decisions and to be honest most of them are not worth taking more than a few seconds over. We make our decisions based on the rules of the site as set out by stooz and Clariman and agreed by all the users here. We are there to uphold those rules and keep the site running smoothly and on the right side of the law. We do not make our interventions with the intention of upsetting people...but sometimes people get upset, as has been said "que sera sera".

John

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » April 27th, 2018, 8:31 am

The posting of 2 "seperate" threads on the same subject on different boards (for which the subject applies to both boards) can be achieved by posting on one board, then on the other with a link to the first board, then "report" it and ask a mod to lock it. That way it gets seen by people on both boards and all posts on one thread.

However, sometimes it is worth having too seperate threads as the discussions may take there own path. There is no hard and fast rules in TLF though (is there?).

I have done this when posting my HY portfolio review and then posting a link from IT and/or HYP. Different people on different boards and one common "thread".

Raptor.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » April 27th, 2018, 9:23 am

I would just add - The Snug is not 'Beerpig's own board'. The board has no different status to any other, it is merely named after him and replicated what was on TMF. The same 'rules' apply.

Mel

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 28th, 2018, 8:29 am

GS

Firstly, I owe you an apology for not getting involved in the discussion by PM a week or two ago. Sorry. However, I have been involved in the discussions with Mods which led to dspp's post above.

In response to your comment about notifications when posts have been deleted, I agree with what you say. In an ideal world, all mod deletions or edits should come with an explanation, but sometimes it is impractical. The Mods are volunteers who may have full-time jobs, families, illnesses, hectic schedules etc., so there time may be limited. Nevertheless they all do their best and we should appreciate them for what they do, because they receive no reward and little thanks sometimes. TMF was a commercial site that had some paid employees to police and manage the boards. TLF is not a commercial site and we are all volunteers.

Regarding having more specific rules for how the boards operate ... the trouble with such rules is that they either don't work all the time in the real world so hamper the smooth running of the site or they get very complex and lengthy and no-one reads them. We have gone down the route of having some very firm rules about behaviour which have been documented, but are less structured and rigid about how boards operate. Perhaps there is some scope for some firmer rules, but I think things are running pretty well with a little flexibility.

Thanks for your comments
Clariman

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 4th, 2018, 11:30 am

Some comments on this thread:

First, on the thread's subject, there's a disadvantage of responding to an old thread, namely that those who were taking part in it may have dropped it from the list of threads they're paying attention to. Reading TLF is an activity that different people approach in different ways, so we should all bear in mind that there are other people here who read TLF in a significantly different way to the way we think of as the 'normal' way to read TLF. (And I actually suspect that there's enough variation that for everyone, there are more people who read it in a significantly different way than they do themselves than that do so in basically the same way.)

For example, my basic method of reading TLF is:

* I'm subscribed to various boards (or 'forums' in phpBB-speak). I've set my notification options so that the only effect that subscription has is that I'm notified of new threads (or 'topics' in phpBB-speak - which is why I don't use the phpBB terms, especially when talking about moderation: the terminology just becomes too muddled in sentences like "This post isn't about its topic's topic, so it is off-topic" - and that's a mild example!).

* When I see a new thread, I read enough of it to decide whether I'm interested in it. If I am, I 'bookmark' it; if I'm uncertain, I probably do the same on a 'benefit of the doubt' basis. If I'm not, that's probably the last I see of the thread.

* My main reading list is simply the new posts in the threads I've 'bookmarked'. I regularly review the list of those threads with the aim of pruning it down: the main criterion I use is that if a thread has gone a week without being posted to, I drop it from the list unless I have some particular reason to believe I'll want to refer to it again in the future. (Some might ask why I do this pruning - if an old inactive thread stays on the list, what harm is it doing? The answer is that I did for a long time just leave them on the list, but found there were so many of them that the few threads I did particularly want to refer to again became very difficult to find. I.e. the harm that they were doing was that they were massively cluttering up my view of the threads I did want to see.)

* I do deviate from that basic method in at least a couple of situations: if I've given a thread the benefit of the doubt and a bit more reading of it tells me I'm not interested, I may prune it early, and if something draws my attention to a thread on a board I'm not subscribed to, or to new material in a thread that I've previously dropped, and I decide I am interested in it, then I'll 'bookmark' the thread so that I start reading it.

I'm not putting that method forward as the perfect way of reading TLF (it isn't!) nor am I looking for suggested 'improvements' to it. I've seen a number of such suggestions over the ~18 months that TLF has been going, and I'm perfectly happy to accept that they are better for the person suggesting them, but they haven't been for me!

Instead, I'm putting it forward simply as the best method for me that I've found. It's doubtless one that some of you will find is quite similar to your own method and others will find is quite different - which is exactly my point: there are lots of methods and none of them is an ideal 'one size fits all' solution. It does have disadvantages, and one of them is that if new material is posted to an old thread after it's been inactive for a week or more, I may well end up not seeing it. I can live with that disadvantage, and have decided to do so - but if someone is posting new material and wants as wide an audience as they can get for it, they may well find a new thread gets a better audience because I and others with similar TLF reading habits see it.

So I would consider the advantages of starting a new thread, especially when changing the subject significantly and when it becomes more major. As a somewhat extreme example, suppose that GlaxoSmithKline or AstraZeneca had released an RNS announcing that some drug that it has in development for a particular form of cancer had passed some particular stage of its clinical trials, a new thread had been started giving a quote from the RNS and a link to it, but no actual informed discussion of it, and that thread hadn't attracted any replies (which is the usual fate of such threads, I suspect because few Fools have the medical expertise to have any idea about the significance (or lack thereof) of such announcements and those few who do have better places to discuss it!). And then later the same company released an RNS announcing a takeover approach for or by the company... That's definitely a case for a new thread in my view: attaching it as a reply to the earlier thread carries a big risk of people not seeing it because they're not reading that thread (certainly I am unlikely to ever 'bookmark' such a thread in the first place, as I lack the medical expertise to comment on such developments myself, or even to get anything meaningful out of responses by others who do have that expertise, should they happen).

On the other hand, if the same company were to release another RNS announcing some other clinical-trial progress of the same drug (maybe to a further stage, or in a different jurisdiction), that would be a definite case for adding it to the old thread in my view: organising such stuff into a single thread might actually end up giving people at least a general impression of the overall structure of the clinical-trial process. (Not that I think that is something the moderators could sensibly enforce, given their limited availability of time and effort. It requires a user who is willing to put in a sufficient amount of their own time and effort to achieve such results...)

So I think that the more major factors in determining whether to reply in a new thread or the old one are:

* How well what the new material is about aligns with what the old thread was about: the better-aligned, the less smaller the case for using a new thread.

* How major the new material is: the less major, the smaller the case for using a new thread.

* How important you regard it as being to bring the new material to the attention of those who may have dropped the old thread from their reading list: the less important, the smaller the case for using a new thread.

How long the old thread has been inactive seems a comparatively minor consideration to me, but not a non-existent one, because it will have an effect on how many have dropped the old thread from their reading lists.

None of that produces definite rules, and I rather doubt that sensible definite rules about such "use old thread or new?" questions are possible: there are too many grey areas. Basically, posters have to make judgement calls for themselves - I'm just suggesting some factors to consider when making such judgement calls. And I don't really expect the moderators to intervene unless a poster has made what they consider a clearly wrong judgement call. E.g. in the above example of posting about a takeover RNS in an old thread about an obscure progress-in-clinical-trials RNS, I would expect them to intervene by splitting the new takeover-related material out into a new thread; anything much less than that would probably be left as the poster had called it. (And as to the reason why I have that expectation, it's again simply the practical one of availability of moderator time and effort - i.e. I'm not saying that situation is ideal, just that it's what we've got and is going to be hard to improve in practice.)

There are of course additional methods besides just posting to the old thread or starting a new one, such as the ones already mentioned of posting a new thread that just crossposts into the existing thread to draw a significant development in it to people's attention, or posting a new thread and crossposting into it from the old thread, or using a changed subject in the old thread (that last one is unlikely to make any difference to me, as experience says that I'm unlikely to even notice a new subject in a thread I'm reading unless something explicitly draws it to my attention, and of course I won't even get the chance to notice a new subject in a thread I'm not reading). Another I would mention is that if you post a reply to a specific post in an old thread that hasn't been active for a while, and particularly want the author of that post to notice your reply, an "in case you're no longer reading the thread, I'd like to alert you to the fact that I've replied to your post" PM to the author might be appropriate.

Incidentally, I have of course given some strong hints in the above to anyone who wants to post to TLF with a minimal chance of me responding! That's again something I can live with... ;-)

And to finish with:

GoSeigen wrote:Heh, since the abuse was mainly of me, it's ironic that I feel the thread should have been allowed to continue!! Personally, I think the abusers should be dealt with, rather than gagging the individual being abused or closing down the conversation. Conflict is acceptable. Abuse is not.

Sort-of-agreed in principle, but in practice there isn't a clear abuse vs conflict dividing line: different people have different ideas of when it is crossed (and IMHO, I've seen a fair number of cases where the same person even appears to have different ideas about it depending on whether they are possibly being abused or possibly abusing others...).

Also, there aren't just the person who is possibly being abused and the person who is possibly doing the abusing to consider: there are all the other readers of the board, who may find themselves being put off reading the thread by the exchanges even if both the 'abuser' and the 'abused' are perfectly happy to let them stand. In particular, I've certainly seen threads become what I regarded as pretty unpleasant (and completely off-topic) reading despite neither being the target of the comments that made it so nor contributing any of them.

The net result is that those who are more tolerant of what might be termed 'robust' exchanges than TLF's moderation standards permit have to put up with threads being moderated when they would be happy for the thread to be left alone - and equally, those who are less tolerant of such exchanges than TLF's moderation standards require have to put up with them being left alone when they would be happier to see them moderated. And as few will find themselves in precise agreement with TLF's moderation standards, most of us have to put up with something! (Or of course decide that they won't put up with it - and then their only real alternative is to give up on TLF and leave.)

None of that is stuff the moderators can alter. What they can do something about is making TLF's moderation standards as consistent as possible (though with practical limits due to moderation decisions being judgement calls, and to available time/effort limiting the degree to which they can make consensus decisions rather than individual-moderator ones), and making TLF's moderation standards stricter or less strict (though with practical limits due to potentially driving too many users away if they go too far in either direction, and to what the site owners will tolerate).

The net result is that I'm afraid I give very little weight to "but I'd have preferred the thread to continue" comments from the targets of abusive comments. I do regard the moderator technique of dealing with such comments by locking the thread as a decidedly less-than-ideal solution - slightly less so than the TMF equivalent, which was for the moderator to post a "thread-stopper" and then remove any further replies. But both of them IMHO suffer from the major problems of 'punishing' all thread participants, not just those who made the too-'robust' comments and (unless supplemented with further measures) of leaving the existing too-'robust' comments around to be read, thereby giving those who read them a false impression as to what is acceptable on TLF threads. (Yes, there will often be a moderator comment along the lines of "Thread locked because of too much personal abuse" - but readers are basically left to judge what comments were deemed personally abusive by their own standards, so that's especially unhelpful to those readers whose standards differ markedly from TLF's, who are of course the ones who most need to be helped about the issue!)

Having said that it's decidedly less-than-ideal, though, if any significant amount of too-'robust' comments has accumulated, any solution other than just locking the thread will clearly require significantly more moderator time and effort. So while decidedly less-than-ideal, it may well be the only practical option...

Gengulphus

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » May 4th, 2018, 1:13 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Hi GS,

I closed the Amber Rudd thread on the snug. It was not closed because of the other thread on Polite Discussions. It was closed because the topic did not meet the remit of the Snug as:
"A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion"

If the above text in bold had been used the intent would have been very much clearer.... The actual reason given in the locked thread was:

There is a thread running on this very topic on Polite Discussions. Please continue there if you wish to comment further on this.

Given the revised reasoning (OT) I support the actual decision to lock the thread.

As a general note though is it really the end of the world if one thread on a peripheral non-financial board gets shut down in a way that you don't agree with?

I don't think I argued or even implied that -- it was just a timely example of some of the themes on this thread (clear notification of mod decisions for example).

Thanks to all replying posters for their comments, which have been noted, esp. I didn't realise it's not Beerpig's board in any way, just assumed it would be like TMF where personal boards were moderated/controlled to some extent by their "owners". My error.

GS

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 4th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Gengulphus raised the question of how we look at the boards. I won't quote from his post as it is impractical on a mobile phone, but sufficient to say that I work in a totally different way.

Because I moderate the Investors Round Table, I usually look at the list of forums and go to those which are marked in red, showing a new post. Then view the new posts by clicking on those marked with a red circle. Then on to the next marked forum until all have been viewed. If any notifications are still shown, I look at them and then click on "Unread Posts" to scan through the topics listed. I look at any of interest, then click on "mark all read" so that I have a clear run next time.

Chacun a son gout, I suppose.

TJH

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 4th, 2018, 3:11 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Chacun a son gout, I suppose.

Yes. I've changed the way I read, over the months. Nowadays I work purely from the "Notifications" drop-down available on every page. I find it saves clicks and page views, as one is not returning constantly to an index page.

Scott.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 4th, 2018, 3:52 pm

swill453 wrote:

Yes. I've changed the way I read, over the months. Nowadays I work purely from the "Notifications" drop-down available on every page. I find it saves clicks and page views, as one is not returning constantly to an index page.

Scott.

I mainly do that as well. However, I do also glance at search.php?search_id=unreadposts which gives me the option of:

1. Opening each possibly irrelevant post in a new tab. Maybe glancing at the new tab and then closing it.

2. Marking all read. The problem there is you can't mark some read. Having just tried it, annoyingly.

Do you know of a non nuclear alternative?

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 4th, 2018, 4:27 pm

swill453 wrote:

On the other hand, I find that if I try a technique like that, I am constantly scrolling back to the top of the page to get to the "Notifications" drop-down, so using it often doesn't save a click. Also, if I've chased an off-site link someone has posted, it's surprising how seldom I find the "Notifications" drop-down on the page I've ended up on... ;-)

So what I've done instead is make /ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=bookmarks a "favourite" on my browser and give it a slot on the browser's favourites bar. One click from any page takes me to the list of threads I've got bookmarked, with red circles marking the ones that have new posts - and the same list allows me to easily prune threads that have been inactive for too long out of my reading list. Works well for me...

But I'm only saying that in case it helps any reader who isn't happy with the way they're currently reading TLF, not to try to debate which method is better or persuade you (or anyone else) to switch from a method that works for you. As TJH says, chacun a son gout - and FWIW, if I were in charge of moderating an area of TLF (*), I think I would probably use something akin to his technique for that area at least. One of the luxuries of being an ordinary user is feeling completely free to totally ignore whatever parts of the site I wish to!

(*) Which I'm not - something I'm happy about and I suspect all moderators and other users of TLF should be happy about too! :-}

Gengulphus

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 4th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Gengulphus wrote:On the other hand, I find that if I try a technique like that, I am constantly scrolling back to the top of the page to get to the "Notifications" drop-down, so using it often doesn't save a click. Also, if I've chased an off-site link someone has posted, it's surprising how seldom I find the "Notifications" drop-down on the page I've ended up on... ;-)

My mouse has a free-spinning wheel, so it's a mere flick to get to the top. Or the Home key if my hand's anywhere near the keyboard. And any links I always shift-click to open in a new window.

But of course I'm not debating the "best" way either :-)

Scott.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 4th, 2018, 5:32 pm

swill453 wrote:
My mouse has a free-spinning wheel, so it's a mere flick to get to the top. Or the Home key if my hand's anywhere near the keyboard.

Just in case you or anyone else following this thread isn't aware - When you're reading a long thread, each post now has a little grey arrow in the bottom right corner of each separate post-area, which will jump to the top TLF header-bar of a long thread whenever it's clicked on.

It looks like this -

It saves having to use the scroll-wheel on a mouse, or having to tap a HOME key, and is a nice alternative once you're aware that it's there.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 4th, 2018, 5:37 pm

swill453 wrote:My mouse has a free-spinning wheel, so it's a mere flick to get to the top. Or the Home key if my hand's anywhere near the keyboard. ...

So it costs you a flick or a key-press to avoid a click...

swill453 wrote:... And any links I always shift-click to open in a new window.

And I tend not to, as new windows (or new tabs) tend to become screen "clutter" that eventually needs a click anyway to close them.

But certainly I can believe that those methods speed up browsing the boards for you, even though they don't for me - which of a flick / key-press / click / shift-click works best for someone probably depends more on what their established usage patterns are than on anything else, and in particular what they do so often that it's gone into their 'muscle memory'.

Gengulphus

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 4th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:It looks like this -

It saves having to use the scroll-wheel on a mouse, or having to tap a HOME key, and is a nice alternative once you're aware that it's there.

Thanks - must admit that I've never really noticed it before! I'm unlikely to start using it to go to my list of 'bookmarked' threads, as it won't save anything compared to clicking on my favourites bar link, but it may well be simpler when I want to go to somewhere else on the site.

Gengulphus

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » May 4th, 2018, 5:44 pm

The grey arrow doesn't work on phones.

Mel

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”