Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Moving topics

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Moving topics

Postby CryptoPlankton » May 31st, 2018, 2:12 pm

When a topic is removed from a forum and assigned to another more appropriate one, could mods please consider the possibility of making it standard practice to leave a link on the original forum? I was reminded of this by a poster today asking what had happened to something they had read earlier and I have found myself in a similar position a few times in the past. I also think it's quite likely that topics I have found fairly interesting have disappeared from my view without me noticing! It may not be a problem for some, depending on how they access the site, but I am reliant on the topic popping up again on a forum I subscribe to. When there is a link I am able to find it (or reminded of its existence!) wherever it has gone.

Thanks, CP

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: Moving topics

Postby chas49 » May 31st, 2018, 2:22 pm

I would say that it is the normal practice to leave a "shadow copy" (that's what it's called on this system). Unfortunately the forum software offers this as a tick box option which the moderator has to remember to tick - rather than it being the default.

I think the only option is to hope this topic gives us mods a further reminder to try and remember to do this.

Regrettably, if we forget, I don't think there's a way of undoing it...

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » May 31st, 2018, 3:25 pm

"It was me your honour". As has been said you have to select to leave a shadow and I missed it on this occasion.

The only time I will not leave a "shadow" is if the "thread" is genuinely in the wrong place and no relevance to the "forum" it was posted on.

Raptor.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 31st, 2018, 8:10 pm

chas49 wrote:I would say that it is the normal practice to leave a "shadow copy" (that's what it's called on this system). Unfortunately the forum software offers this as a tick box option which the moderator has to remember to tick - rather than it being the default.

I think the only option is to hope this topic gives us mods a further reminder to try and remember to do this.

Wouldn't it produce the desired result to move it back to the original forum without leaving a "shadow copy" and then repeat the move to the new forum, this time remembering to leave the "shadow copy"? Not strictly "undoing" the original move, and there might be some subtlety bout it that stops it being effective - but it seems worth asking!

Gengulphus

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » May 31st, 2018, 8:47 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
chas49 wrote:I would say that it is the normal practice to leave a "shadow copy" (that's what it's called on this system). Unfortunately the forum software offers this as a tick box option which the moderator has to remember to tick - rather than it being the default.

Wouldn't it produce the desired result to move it back to the original forum without leaving a "shadow copy" and then repeat the move to the new forum, this time remembering to leave the "shadow copy"? Not strictly "undoing" the original move, and there might be some subtlety bout it that stops it being effective - but it seems worth asking!

Gengulphus

That is an option, but you need mod rights on both forums to do that or ask another mod to send it back. We could create a "new" post and link it to the moved and then lock it. Which is what happened in this case.

As l said I just forgot to tick the box in this case.

Raptor

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”