Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Moderation again

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Moderation again

Postby csearle » June 21st, 2018, 11:45 pm

Gengulphus wrote:It does contain a section 9.1 "Forum Logs" section on page 96, which says that they include a Moderator Log which "... records the actions performed by moderators ..." and goes on to mention moving topics and locking them as actions it records.
Yes our moderator log shows the title of and a link to the posts we (and everyone else, mods and users alike) have edited, when it was edited, and the user's IP address but it does not show what the post used to say. So if we want to PM this to the poster then we have to make a copy. I do this now in case the poster wants to know, but I can quite see that this extra work is a bit much for those mods that often seem to be just about to catch an aeroplane! :D (My lifestyle is different!)

Chris

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 21st, 2018, 11:58 pm

melonfool wrote:I'll have a poke around in the mod control panel tomorrow and see if I can see any log. I've never really got to grips with it properly anyway.

If it's not there, it may just be a thing Stooz can turn on or something.

I've taken another look at the bit of the phpBB documentation where I saw the bit about "moderator logs", and have found I read it a bit too hastily. It's on page 110 of the PDF I referred to, in a list describing the mod control panel. It is a list item describing "Moderator logs" as "This is an in-depth list of the five latest actions performed by administrators, moderators or users, as shown on the main page of the MCP." I'd just been looking at the section about the "Moderator Log" in the stuff for administrators (page 96) and must have unwittingly assumed they were referring to the same thing. So I ended up just noticing the "five latest actions" aspect and failing to notice that one was about actions by three of administrators, moderators and users, while the other was only about actions by moderators...

So it might well be that you're familiar with it, but only rarely see a moderator action on it... If so, sorry about the confusion.

Gengulphus

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 22nd, 2018, 4:54 am

Gengulphus wrote:On the matter of moderators possibly ceasing to edit posts and deleting them instead when something has to be removed, I'm strongly against such a change of policy. As far as I'm concerned, editing a post to deal with a problem in one bit of it is a big improvement on the TMF situation where the software simply couldn't do it and the moderators had to either do nothing to it or delete it in its entirety. I would like to see a solution to the issue of the author having no access to the pre-edit text once it happens, and that would make the TLF setup even better than it is, but even as it is, it's IMHO better than a delete-or-do-nothing setup would be. (Any such solution would have to be technical rather than being implemented by often-in-a-hurry moderators, I think. E.g. an extension to the phpBB software that emails or PMs the previous source of a post to its author if someone other than the author him- or herself saves a new version of it might well be possible, provided someone was willing to put in the time and effort to develop it.)

I half agree with that. If a post can be easily amended whilst solving the perceived problem, then that is fine. So for instance if you make a salient post but there is an obscenity in it, and that obscenity is the only reported problem and can easily be removed without changing the sense of everything else you wrote, then fine.

But on the other hand, I think you would probably agree and admit that some people write quite long and complex posts. You are one - brevity is not your style. And if I were a moderator faced with an objection to one of your posts, then there is a limit to how much time I would be willing to devote to reviewing your content with a view to amending it. If your post is prolix or ponderous, and there is clearly a problem with it, then I'd probably just pull the entire post rather than wade through hundreds of words, and risk altering the sense by effectively re-writing it.

Putting it another way, I think your idea works if and when people are pithy and laconic. But for essays and dense prose, it is asking a lot of moderators to wade through it all and precis it in order to remove problems but retain meaning.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 22nd, 2018, 8:41 am

Lootman wrote: prolix or ponderous, [...] pithy and laconic.

A prosaic topic adeptly composed into a pleasurable read -- thank you!

GS

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » June 22nd, 2018, 9:12 am

csearle wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:It does contain a section 9.1 "Forum Logs" section on page 96, which says that they include a Moderator Log which "... records the actions performed by moderators ..." and goes on to mention moving topics and locking them as actions it records.
Yes our moderator log shows the title of and a link to the posts we (and everyone else, mods and users alike) have edited, when it was edited, and the user's IP address but it does not show what the post used to say. So if we want to PM this to the poster then we have to make a copy. I do this now in case the poster wants to know, but I can quite see that this extra work is a bit much for those mods that often seem to be just about to catch an aeroplane! :D (My lifestyle is different!)

Chris

I'd never seen that before, not that I have needed to - so, yes, there is a record that a mod 'edited' but not what they took out/overwrote.

It seems to be mostly whatever-bot deleting spam mind you, s/he's very busy (just mentioning as it was said somewhere that we don't get any spam....obviously the anti-spam-bot works harder than we know and is set about right, we do deal with some manually but nothing compared to what l'il old ASB is up to in there!).

No planes for me, just the Faraday Cage that is Platform 0 at Kings Cross!

Mel

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 22nd, 2018, 9:19 am

Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:On the matter of moderators possibly ceasing to edit posts and deleting them instead when something has to be removed, I'm strongly against such a change of policy. As far as I'm concerned, editing a post to deal with a problem in one bit of it is a big improvement on the TMF situation where the software simply couldn't do it and the moderators had to either do nothing to it or delete it in its entirety. I would like to see a solution to the issue of the author having no access to the pre-edit text once it happens, and that would make the TLF setup even better than it is, but even as it is, it's IMHO better than a delete-or-do-nothing setup would be. (Any such solution would have to be technical rather than being implemented by often-in-a-hurry moderators, I think. E.g. an extension to the phpBB software that emails or PMs the previous source of a post to its author if someone other than the author him- or herself saves a new version of it might well be possible, provided someone was willing to put in the time and effort to develop it.)

I half agree with that. If a post can be easily amended whilst solving the perceived problem, then that is fine. So for instance if you make a salient post but there is an obscenity in it, and that obscenity is the only reported problem and can easily be removed without changing the sense of everything else you wrote, then fine.

But on the other hand, I think you would probably agree and admit that some people write quite long and complex posts. You are one - brevity is not your style. And if I were a moderator faced with an objection to one of your posts, then there is a limit to how much time I would be willing to devote to reviewing your content with a view to amending it. If your post is prolix or ponderous, and there is clearly a problem with it, then I'd probably just pull the entire post rather than wade through hundreds of words, and risk altering the sense by effectively re-writing it.

Putting it another way, I think your idea works if and when people are pithy and laconic. But for essays and dense prose, it is asking a lot of moderators to wade through it all and precis it in order to remove problems but retain meaning.

I completely agree that there's a limit to how much time the moderators should be expected to put into reviewing the content of a post. But I think that's generally easily dealt with a moderator taking a fairly quick look through it for the reported problem to see whether that problem is easily fixed, then editing to remove it if that is easily done, or removing the post if it isn't. If it's difficult to identify whether the reported problem is there or not, that's probably for one of two reasons:

* The reporter hasn't been specific enough to locate the problem. E.g. the report gives as its only explanation "Insults". Moderator looks through the post and nothing in it strikes him or her immediately as an insult. The ideal way of dealing with that would IMHO be to clear the report without doing anything to the post, but PM the reporter to say "Sorry, I've failed to see an insult in the post you reported (<link>). Please check you reported the right post; if you did and you can still see an insult in it, please report it again, this time with a short quote of the insult to help the moderator locate it." (if a report contains that, even a very long post can be quickly searched for it with CTRL-F). That ideal probably isn't very feasible at present without undue moderator effort to generate the PM, requiring a technical fix in the form of an extension to the software to generate a 'skeleton' PM containing the link, the recipient, etc, that the moderator can flesh out. In the absence of such a fix, moderators should do the best they can...

* The problem reported is a complex one, involving interactions between several different parts of the reported post. E.g. someone sees a number of elements of a post as being racist in combination with each other, though not individually, and reports it. The moderator should be able to expect the report to contain details of the elements involved and how they combine to be racist; if it doesn't, act as outlined above. If it does, either they really do combine to be racist, in which case remove the post, or the reporter is adding his or her own inferences to what was actually said and no action is required, beyond possibly PMing the reporter to say "Sorry, but we can only take action against a post for what it actually says."

I suppose that all basically amounts to saying that the moderator only needs to understand the reported problem, not the entirety of the reported post, and so I think it's the ease of comprehension of the report that is most relevant to the difficulty of the job, not that of the post. The ease of comprehension of a report could be poor because of excessive length, excessive complexity or excessive vagueness - and by the way, those aren't actually all that closely connected with each other: for instance, something long can be very simple, and something quite short can be very difficult to understand because understanding it involves a great deal of complexity.

Gengulphus

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » June 22nd, 2018, 9:54 am

I doubt very much that any of us would 'rewrite' a post, the only time we edit is when a small part of a post, or a link or something, can be removed with no detriment to the message.

The length of the post isn't really relevant.

Mel

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » June 22nd, 2018, 10:25 am

Reading these last few post I think we are expecting FAR too much from the board Moderators and they do have other things to do and are doing it for free too. Its really up to the rest of us to perhaps think a bit more about what we post and how we post and not write essays and I am prone to doing that too and we can review it and change it unlike TMF and so my recommendation is just allow the Mods to do whatever they feel is necessary and if we don't like it, tough!

Also I don't think we should expect them to email us and tell us where we have gone wrong. Copy your own posts and then when its removed go and review it and then you can see why. I can now see why the general rule is that THEIR decision is final and even this thread shows why that is..

It may well be the mod box is the best way to inform us all why they have edited or removed and that is it, full stop. And then ONLY on posts that have been reported unless they are posting on the thread themselves and notice something. If they see its the same poster doing the reporting the whole time then maybe he needs to be told to stop it as some can be a PITA...

Just my take on it and again we should be grateful for this FREE site, the board Administrators and ALL the Mods too..

Thank you..

ATB,

Mike

PS

When I used to go to my local paper to put an advert in, they used to say that will be 20 pounds but it will be only 5 pounds if you amend it to say the almost same thing using a quarter of the words...Some telegrams in the old days would have cost you a bomb! ;)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 22nd, 2018, 12:44 pm

beeswax wrote:Reading these last few post I think we are expecting FAR too much from the board Moderators and they do have other things to do and are doing it for free too. Its really up to the rest of us to perhaps think a bit more about what we post and how we post and not write essays and I am prone to doing that too and we can review it and change it unlike TMF and so my recommendation is just allow the Mods to do whatever they feel is necessary and if we don't like it, tough!

No, as things stand it is not up to the rest of us to not write essays, but simply not to read them if we don't want to. Or to report them as "Too long" if we really don't think they're suitable for this site because of their length, though not to keep on doing so if they start getting PMs from the moderators telling them that the site has no objection to long posts. Or to get stooz and Clariman to modify the site rules to say that posts are not allowed to be over a certain length, or its software to apply a more stringent limit to the length of the posts it will accept (there is actually such a limit - it was 50k characters last time I encountered it, which was when the source of some tables in my post needed quite a lot of careful formatting to get them to display well).

Be careful what you ask for, though - a lower limit on post length won't necessarily cause posters to post more briefly, but could instead drive them away. And in my case, if I started regularly encountering it rather than just very occasionally when I try to do something tricky, it definitely would! And in case anyone is thinking of asking me how low a limit would make me leave, no, I won't answer such a question! Quite apart from the fact that I have no interest in helping people lower the limit, let alone assisting those who want to drive me away (there doubtless are some such people among the 3000+ members of the site), I simply don't know: I don't check the length of my posts, I simply know when I encounter the software limit.

Basically, "if we don't like it, tough!" is a bit too simple. When we don't like a rule (or the absence of a rule) here and can't persuade the administrators and moderators to change the rules to something more to our liking, we do have the basic choice of living with the rules as they are or leaving, and that may be an unfortunate matter of having to choose the least tough of two tough options. But equally, before that point is reached, we do have the option of trying to persuade the administrators and moderators to change the rules - with the proviso that persuading shouldn't become nagging: if they call a halt to a thread like this one, that choice of theirs has to be respected.

Gengulphus

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 22nd, 2018, 1:17 pm

Gengulphus wrote:[No, as things stand it is not up to the rest of us to not write essays, but simply not to read them if we don't want to.

In the immortal words, you would say that wouldn't you?

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 22nd, 2018, 1:40 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
beeswax wrote:Reading these last few post I think we are expecting FAR too much from the board Moderators and they do have other things to do and are doing it for free too. Its really up to the rest of us to perhaps think a bit more about what we post and how we post and not write essays and I am prone to doing that too and we can review it and change it unlike TMF and so my recommendation is just allow the Mods to do whatever they feel is necessary and if we don't like it, tough!

No, as things stand it is not up to the rest of us to not write essays, but simply not to read them if we don't want to. Or to report them as "Too long" if we really don't think they're suitable for this site because of their length, though not to keep on doing so if they start getting PMs from the moderators telling them that the site has no objection to long posts. Or to get stooz and Clariman to modify the site rules to say that posts are not allowed to be over a certain length

It's probably off topic to discuss questions of good writing style here. So the prudence of writing long screeds here is either worth its own topic, or not. As you say the main effect of writing long posts is to deter people from reading them ("TLDR", as the kids say). And that might not matter to the author, who may just enjoy writing and derive pleasure from going into a lot of detail. That author may in fact not care if few people read it, or even if nobody reads it. It is the writing itself that is the end.

As such I don't think we need a limit on the length of a post, aside from any software/technical limits imposed from without. I write long screeds myself sometimes, like here :D

I do think there are some guidelines (not rules) about writing style that are helpful for everyone however, for writers, readers and moderators. Breaking longer posts into paragraphs is one - a long post is easier to read if relevantly divided up into discrete segments.

Limiting the amount of re-quoting of other peoples' posts helps with a focus on the part you are responding to.

Not trying to cover every angle to a topic in a single post also helps. An example might be not trying to forestall possible counter arguments, but rather deal with them if and when they arise.

The use of lists, numbered points and bullet points also aids legibility.

I sometimes think it depends on one's education. In the classes I took, a lot of time and effort was spent on precis. One was given a long passage and one had to precis it into a maximum number of words whilst retaining as much meaning as possible. I recall such exercises featuring prominently in the civil service exams I took a million years ago. But for those who perhaps studied science rather than the arts, such skills may not have been emphasised.

In practice I suspect that moderators do as you suggest. If they can easily change a post to make it conform with the rules, then they do. If it is a more complex task then they either reject the report or cull the entire post, based on their best judgement and experience (and probably bearing in mind the parties involved if they are usual suspects).

What would irk me is having my words changed so that meaning is lost, and I think the risk of that increases with complex posts with lots of internal cross-references. I'd rather the post was removed altogether and I'll try and replace it with something better. As things stand that probably means me keeping my own version of the post for easy editing/replacement.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 22nd, 2018, 1:46 pm

In my view it is really simple, moderators are here to uphold the rules of the site as they stand. Those rules are not exhaustive since there will inevitably be situations that have not been thought through yet but anyone who wishes to post here needs to stick to those rules.

Breaking the rules will result in posts being deleted or edited to bring compliance. As a courtesy, miscreants will generally be PM'd or a moderator box added to posts to inform what has happened and why. Continued rule breaking can result in bans (temporary or permanent).

Moderators are volunteers who endeavour to do their best in helping this site run smoothly for everyone's benefit. We all have other stuff going on in our lives so sometimes we do things quickly that may not be optimal but they are done with the best of intentions. Occasionally mistakes happen, we cannot please everyone all of the time but none of this is critical or life changing stuff. If things happen that you don't like occasionally then let us know and we will try to fix it, but then just move on and enjoy using the site, try not to get bogged down fighting Lilliputian battles...it's really not that important.

As for long posts, if they are informative and have a purpose, then great, people can read them or not and perhaps the act of writing them has a benefit to the poster so that's fine. Some people like to get their point across quickly to start a debate, others like to go through every point to ensure it is all covered to their satisfaction before posting, different strokes...

Regarding this thread, if it serves a purpose then why would we not be happy for it to continue. There would only be a point to ending it if it became detrimental to the health of this site and from what I can see there is generally a healthy debate occurring here that everyone is contributing to in order to ensure the continued wellbeing of the Lemon Fool so what's not to like?

John

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 22nd, 2018, 1:51 pm

In response to Lootman's post, as we used to say, 'Why use one word when four will do?'

Dod

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 22nd, 2018, 1:55 pm

Dod101 wrote:In response to Lootman's post, as we used to say, 'Why use one word when four will do?'

You don't think that sort of comment and your previous one here is the type that might be Modded on other TLF boards?

Replying as someone who doesn't write lengthy posts but certainly reads those which take my interest.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 22nd, 2018, 2:06 pm

Lootman wrote:
As you say the main effect of writing long posts is to deter people from reading them ("TLDR", as the kids say). And that might not matter to the author, who may just enjoy writing and derive pleasure from going into a lot of detail. That author may in fact not care if few people read it, or even if nobody reads it. It is the writing itself that is the end.

I think generally, and almost certainly in the vast majority of cases on both TMF and here on TLF that I can remember, I'd suggest that if you don't find some of the longer posts you might find on these types of boards interesting or informative, then you're probably not the intended audience....

It would be a real shame though, if the real intended audience for many of the longer posts we might find on this board start to see less of those interesting and informative posts because people might feel put off from writing them....

It's quite possible to simply scroll or click to the next post without letting these things bother us - especially when we might not have been the intended recipient of such information in the first place...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » June 22nd, 2018, 2:09 pm

Lootman wrote:
I do think there are some guidelines (not rules) about writing style that are helpful for everyone however, for writers, readers and moderators. Breaking longer posts into paragraphs is one - a long post is easier to read if relevantly divided up into discrete segments.

That's just culture. When I first posted on Mumsnet, having mainly posted on TMF, I was told off for my posts being too long. I'm not a poster of great length in terms of the other posters on TMF/here though. I was also told off for relating my own experiences - apparently over there you are allowed to sympathise and make suggestions but not say 'oh, this thing happened to me....' - whereas we do the latter here with no ill effects as far as I have seen.

However, on Mumsnet, profanities are allowed, no word is off-limits and you will feel liberated by the ability to use any words you see fit, as long as nothing illegal, no hate speech, no insults directed at posters.

Like here, posts are generally in good English we decent grammar.

On Netmums however, it's all "aw hun" and "hugs babe" and other such nonsensical offerings. (if anyone "huns" on MN, they get told to go to NM - the two sites are not linked)

Neither of them as far as I can see have 'style guidelines', people just pick it up from reading the threads and from peer pressure.

With regard to longer posts here - my trick is to read the first sentence of every paragraph, if the poster is a decent writer they will have taken the time to put new information into separate paragraphs and you can then determine if you want to read, skim or skip that paragraph. It's how I got through my degree so it works fine (as long as the writer has been sensible in their structure and if they haven't I probably don't want to read their post anyway).

I support long posts overall.

Mel

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 22nd, 2018, 2:14 pm

melonfool wrote:

Mel

Yes we decent grammar :)

RC

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » June 22nd, 2018, 2:15 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
melonfool wrote:

Mel

Yes we decent grammar :)

RC

There's some law about that, isn't there? As soon as you talk about grammar or speeling, your own goes to pot!

*with* decent grammar.

:)

Mel

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 22nd, 2018, 3:09 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Lootman wrote:As you say the main effect of writing long posts is to deter people from reading them ("TLDR", as the kids say). And that might not matter to the author, who may just enjoy writing and derive pleasure from going into a lot of detail. That author may in fact not care if few people read it, or even if nobody reads it. It is the writing itself that is the end.

It's quite possible to simply scroll or click to the next post without letting these things bother us - especially when we might not have been the intended recipient of such information in the first place...

I agree. But the context here was moderators, and they do not have the option that the rest of us have to simply skip or ignore a long, complex post. If that post is reported then they have to take a look at it.

Now if that is not a problem for moderators, and Mel indicated that it isn't for her because she can successfully "skim" a long post, then that's fine. So to put it another way long posts are only a problem if they are for moderators - the only people compelled to read them. The rest of us can either ignore them or put the kettle on and find a comfy armchair :D

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 22nd, 2018, 3:21 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Dod101 wrote:In response to Lootman's post, as we used to say, 'Why use one word when four will do?'

You don't think that sort of comment and your previous one here is the type that might be Modded on other TLF boards?

Are you serious? What if I add a smiley? Are we all supposed to be shrinking violets? I have had a lot worse on other Boards and just ignored them if I do not like them. Short and to the point. That is my motto for posts.

Dod

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”