Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Moderation again

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Moderation again

Postby dspp » June 19th, 2018, 8:49 pm

melonfool wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:Also, it's not clear that mod no.1 "obviously accidentally left the mod box off" any more than that I was obviously impersonating a mod-- It has happened multiple times to me and, it seems, to others too.

GS

I meant it was obvious once he told me. It was obvious it was a mistake as he had written 'mod' but not used the mod tags to make the box - once he said he had modded that post it became clear what had happened.

This has not happened 'multiple times', surely? ....

I can see how it would be annoying to have your post changed (even with a mod box), especially not to be told and not to know why it was changed. And for us mods it's an annoying thing to have to do actually, especially if you are on a phone, it's fiddly.

Mel

This example was me. I was mod #1. I modded whatever the issue was (I forget) and ran for a plane if I recall correctly. And it has already been dealt with at least once or twice, and now is it three times. Seriously please, we have real lives to live and we would rather not be dealing with these issues at all. Just stick to playing the ball politely and you can't go far wrong.

(I will put my own hands up and accept that I am as guilty as any poster on PD. Except that on there different rules apply and therefore I will go toe-to-toe on the relevant matters so that my point of view does not get trampled on due to my undue acquiescence).

regards, dspp

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » June 19th, 2018, 8:58 pm

Dod101 wrote:Ok Itsallaguess. Maybe 'censorship' is a bit OTT. I will refrain from using that word.

I do not want this to get out of hand, but I cannot persuade the mod concerned to tell me what it was that I said that warranted removal by him of my comment..

Anyway I think I have probably played this out pro tem at least.

Dod

Dod,
If it was me that moderated you then I did so in response to an alert, and will have simply forgotten by now whatever it was. Ordinarily I just get an alert, look at the post, deal with it, put a mod box on it if appropriate, maybe PM if time allows, close out the report, keep on trucking. It is as simple and as quick as that and lives about as long in my goldfish memory. I know you and I corresponded re one mod action I did, but I never got a further response so assumed it did not merit further action. If I am wrong please PM me.
Regards, dspp

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » June 19th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Just a suggestion but is it possible for the moderators to have that title next to their username and that may help calm things down a little when they join a discussion? I know most are known but we do have new people on here too..I didn't know some actually..

I've been caught quite a few times as I tend to use a few choice words here and there and also prone to go into rant mode and accept that I could write better than I do but all in all we really should not bash the Moderators who are doing for it for free and making the discussions and the site a very good place to be actually. Its a thankless task and PD was added as a favour to us and so lets be grateful hey. They do listen and willing to make changes to keep things moving. One huge improvement here over TMF is the ability to amend our text after posting and would like to see that time extended by a few minutes if possible?

Three cheers for all the mods with no exceptions....

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » June 19th, 2018, 10:19 pm

beeswax wrote:Just a suggestion but is it possible for the moderators to have that title next to their username and that may help calm things down a little when they join a discussion? I know most are known but we do have new people on here too..I didn't know some actually..

I don't know if the forum software can be configured to add "Moderator" after a user name, but it may be worth pointing out that moderators' user names are shown in green (admins in red). This doesn't necessarily mean they are mods for the specific board though.

I suspect this may not be well known.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 19th, 2018, 10:33 pm

dspp wrote:Ordinarily I just get an alert, look at the post, deal with it, put a mod box on it if appropriate, maybe PM if time allows, close out the report, keep on trucking.
It would be slightly better to close out the report just before dealing with it so that other moderators don't start working on the same report at the same time (Mel and I have got into each others hair in the past). C. :)

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » June 19th, 2018, 10:37 pm

I definitely do just want to change my actual username to MelonfoolMod, or TLFMelinfiol or anything like it, thanks.

But, yes, the colour of the name does show it.

I'll ask Stooz about the edit time. I'd like a shorter time till you can make the next post, I type fast and spend a lot of time looking at screen waiting for however long to go by.

Mel

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » June 19th, 2018, 10:56 pm

It may be my Browser ie Google Chrome but I have never seen the Mod's name in any green colour or anything else but black?

I thought at one time it was in bold until I realised everyone was in bold...;)

Mel the Mod seems cool! ;)

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » June 19th, 2018, 10:58 pm

melonfool wrote:I definitely do just want to change my actual username to MelonfoolMod, or TLFMelinfiol or anything like it, thanks.

But, yes, the colour of the name does show it.

I'll ask Stooz about the edit time. I'd like a shorter time till you can make the next post, I type fast and spend a lot of time looking at screen waiting for however long to go by.

Mel

I think you meant to type in you 'don't' want to change your user name etc?

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » June 19th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Thanks Beeswax, I'll take "cool".

Users are in blue, mods are green but it does look black.

It has been pointed out to me that while I may type fast I am inaccurate. My previous post should have said I don't want to change my username. :D

Mel

(Mitigation - laptop has died so am only able to use phone)

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » June 19th, 2018, 11:02 pm

beeswax wrote:It may be my Browser ie Google Chrome but I have never seen the Mod's name in any green colour or anything else but black?

Really? The name above the message where it says "Lemon Slice" or "Lemon Quarter"?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 19th, 2018, 11:25 pm

chas49 wrote:
beeswax wrote:It may be my Browser ie Google Chrome but I have never seen the Mod's name in any green colour or anything else but black?

Really? The name above the message where it says "Lemon Slice" or "Lemon Quarter"?

They could easily look bold to anyone who is colour blind, for example.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 19th, 2018, 11:53 pm

That's true in posts but in forum listings admins/moderators usernames are bolded red/green whereas "normal" folk are not bolded. Dunno why it isn't the same for posts.

In regards to mods' names in green (in posts or listings), zoom in massively (like +400%) and look at chas49, melonfool, csearle or dspp (blimey, it's mostly mods in this thread!) and you'll see the names are indeed in a dark green, but you're right that it does look pretty close to black when viewed normally. It's basically a crap choice. However, you'll notice that us non-mods names in posts are pretty clearly in a navy blue, so rather than easily distinguishing mods you can instead more easily distinguish non-mods :D

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » June 20th, 2018, 12:04 am

melonfool wrote:Thanks Beeswax, I'll take "cool".

Users are in blue, mods are green but it does look black.

It has been pointed out to me that while I may type fast I am inaccurate. My previous post should have said I don't want to change my username. :D

Mel

(Mitigation - laptop has died so am only able to use phone)

Thought so.....You may find a good rec for a laptop in the computer forum but I have to say that my Macbook Air is the best laptop I have ever had and it runs cool as no spinning HD and the battery lasts 10 hours before needed to be recharged. Its excellent. I did read that Apple are coming out with a cheaper version soon as these are quite expensive. Apologies if yours just needs charging though. I'm not on commission ;) and just to add managed a 3 year free warranty too with JL..

I type quite slow... :oops:

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 20th, 2018, 12:09 am

dspp wrote:This example was me. I was mod #1. [...] Seriously please, we have real lives to live...

Neither dspp nor Mel needed to personalise this by identifying themselves. I named no names.

GS

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 20th, 2018, 4:23 pm

GoSeigen wrote:Neither dspp nor Mel needed to personalise this by identifying themselves. I named no names.

Indeed you didn't but I thought it refreshing that they both engaged on the issue.

Especially as the unnamed mod, who hasn't yet appeared on this thread has, effectively, been described as "judge jury and executioner but if you are right, censor as well".

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 21st, 2018, 7:51 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:Neither dspp nor Mel needed to personalise this by identifying themselves. I named no names.

Indeed you didn't but I thought it refreshing that they both engaged on the issue.

Especially as the unnamed mod, who hasn't yet appeared on this thread has, effectively, been described as "judge jury and executioner but if you are right, censor as well".

Not certain exactly what mention of a moderator in this thread you're referring to, but dspp identified himself as "mod #1" in the top post on this page. So are you certain there actually is an "unnamed mod, who hasn't yet appeared on this thread"? (And if so, why?)

Gengulphus

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 21st, 2018, 8:32 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

Not certain exactly what mention of a moderator in this thread you're referring to, but dspp identified himself as "mod #1" in the top post on this page. So are you certain there actually is an "unnamed mod, who hasn't yet appeared on this thread"? (And if so, why?)

Gengulphus

Yes, certain.

The OP was making reference to some moderation on another board he frequents, where the words "unwarranted" and "disparaging" were used.

GoSeigen joined the thread later and introduced another aspect, which it turns out involved dspp. His mod #1 involved GoSeigen's issue, not the OP's.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 21st, 2018, 9:08 pm

PinkDalek wrote:The OP was making reference to some moderation on another board he frequents, where the words "unwarranted" and "disparaging" were used.

GoSeigen joined the thread later and introduced another aspect, which it turns out involved dspp. His mod #1 involved GoSeigen's issue, not the OP's.

Correct PD. I am reluctant to say much more. The mod concerned is clearly in no mood to put in an appearance and explain himself. Most Mods from my limited experience are open and helpful. One or two are dictatorial.

Dod

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 21st, 2018, 10:31 pm

Some follow-up on three points in this thread:

* GoSeigen asked "Is there no other way to tell that a mod has edited a post e.g. no history list of edits?". I have done an extensive skim of the phpBB documentation for other posts - it's at https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/, in the PDF linked to by "Download user guide PDF for phpBB 3.2.x". It does contain a section 9.1 "Forum Logs" section on page 96, which says that they include a Moderator Log which "... records the actions performed by moderators ..." and goes on to mention moving topics and locking them as actions it records. It's clear though that this is just a couple of examples, as page 106 mentions deleting a post as another example, so editing a post might be yet another. It should be noted though that it's in the "Administration Guide" chapter of the manual, so presumably only properly accessible by administrators; the "Moderator Guide" section only indicates that moderators can see its last five entries. Also, I wouldn't normally expect a "log" in computer software to record more than brief details - e.g. if log entries are created for moderator edits, I would expect them to say that moderator M edited post P at time T on date D, but not what the detailed edits were (so it wouldn't enable edits to be undone). Complete history records as used by wikis are a much more sophisticated software feature!

* I'd guess the matter of moderator names appearing in a different colour is done using the stuff about "Group Management" starting on page 78 of the same PDF, specifically using the "Group colour" attribute described on page 81. If so, no, there doesn't seem to be any similar thing to change other aspects of how the name is displayed or to change the name itself. But the "Group rank" attribute does look as if it is probably used to produce the "Lemon Slice", "Lemon Quarter", "2 Lemon pips", etc, descriptions of posters that appear below their name in the author description panel to the right of each post, presumably with the aid of an extension that moves users between groups according to their post count. I'd guess it would be possible to extend that to take whether a poster is a moderator into account as well, though it might be difficult to make it really work well when new moderators are appointed or existing ones resign or otherwise leave (as is bound to happen in the fullness of time!).

* On the matter of moderators possibly ceasing to edit posts and deleting them instead when something has to be removed, I'm strongly against such a change of policy. As far as I'm concerned, editing a post to deal with a problem in one bit of it is a big improvement on the TMF situation where the software simply couldn't do it and the moderators had to either do nothing to it or delete it in its entirety. I would like to see a solution to the issue of the author having no access to the pre-edit text once it happens, and that would make the TLF setup even better than it is, but even as it is, it's IMHO better than a delete-or-do-nothing setup would be. (Any such solution would have to be technical rather than being implemented by often-in-a-hurry moderators, I think. E.g. an extension to the phpBB software that emails or PMs the previous source of a post to its author if someone other than the author him- or herself saves a new version of it might well be possible, provided someone was willing to put in the time nd effort to develop it.)

Gengulphus

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » June 21st, 2018, 11:36 pm

I'll have a poke around in the mod control panel tomorrow and see if I can see any log. I've never really got to grips with it properly anyway.

If it's not there, it may just be a thing Stooz can turn on or something.

Mel

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”