Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Moderation: post pulled no notification

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Moderation: post pulled no notification

Postby redsturgeon » July 5th, 2018, 4:45 pm

vrdiver wrote:Well, another day, another post deleted without comment or explanation.

In response to
I am myself not sure that Jacob Rees Mogg, who I know reasonably well, wants to stand to be leader of the Conservative Party today. (or in the near future).

I posted something along the lines of:
I always knew he was a smart chap!

which has been deleted. Apologies if it's not the exact phrase used in the post - I think it is, or as near as makes no difference, but as I mention, the original has gone so I can't be 100% sure.

A bit of light humour (or so I thought) that has apparently offended somebody or crossed a discussion line.

Since I can't see the offence, nor why such a post would cross "the line" I'm puzzled why it was deleted.

I'm not really bothered about the deletion itself, more wanting to point out that such seemingly spurious decisions to delete posts without explanation is demotivating as regards joining in any discussions.

VRD

I have looked at the thread that contains the JR-M comment post by John Hemmings and can see no deleted post following it. So I am reasonably sure it was not deleted.

John

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 5th, 2018, 7:09 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I have looked at the thread that contains the JR-M comment post by John Hemmings and can see no deleted post following it. So I am reasonably sure it was not deleted.

John

Thanks for looking into it John. I was fairly certain I'd posted, but if it's not in the log then obviously I didn't: at least I'm only left wondering about my own posting skills instead of over-sensitive moderation :oops:

VRD

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 5th, 2018, 7:11 pm

XFool wrote:May I butt in here?

What is the rule about quoting (presumably elsewhere) from a post on a locked thread?

I actually wanted to respond to the last post, by csearle - who turns out to be the moderator who locked the thread! - on the (assumed) board.

In particular to the last line of that post:

"You should be democratic and stop undermining the outcome by supporting anyone that tries to implement the will of the people."

TIA

It looks like you got your wish.

First time I've seen a locked thread unlocked, to enable a reply, then be locked again.

What happens if csearle wants to respond to what you've posted and so on?

It's all a bit Alice in Wonderland, unless I'm looking at the wrong locked thread.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 5th, 2018, 8:27 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
XFool wrote:May I butt in here?

What is the rule about quoting (presumably elsewhere) from a post on a locked thread?

I actually wanted to respond to the last post, by csearle - who turns out to be the moderator who locked the thread! - on the (assumed) board.

In particular to the last line of that post:

"You should be democratic and stop undermining the outcome by supporting anyone that tries to implement the will of the people."

TIA

It looks like you got your wish.

First time I've seen a locked thread unlocked, to enable a reply, then be locked again.

What happens if csearle wants to respond to what you've posted and so on?

It's all a bit Alice in Wonderland, unless I'm looking at the wrong locked thread.

Although I didn't lock the thread in order to have the last word, I didn't feel very comfortable about it, so allowed XFool to respond. He graciously did it in such a way that I would feel happy in not responding.

Chris

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 5th, 2018, 8:32 pm

That’s a shame, not the permission etc and I spotted the “Thanks Chris” and the fact you’d moved the Mod Box, what with there being 6 question marks in the last post on the re-locked thread. Thus my “and so on”, which wasn’t meant to cover just you.

Which can’t now be answered, on that thread at least. ;)

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » July 5th, 2018, 9:45 pm

vrdiver wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I have looked at the thread that contains the JR-M comment post by John Hemmings and can see no deleted post following it. So I am reasonably sure it was not deleted.

John

Thanks for looking into it John. I was fairly certain I'd posted, but if it's not in the log then obviously I didn't: at least I'm only left wondering about my own posting skills instead of over-sensitive moderation :oops:

VRD

VRD

Sometimes, when you write a post, then click submit, and since you started writing someone else has posted to the thread, then the message sumbission fails and a rather inconspicuous error message appears along these lines: "While you were writing your message someone else posted on this thread. Please review the new messages and resubmit if you still wish to post".

I'm pretty sure I sometimes miss these messages in my haste and then my post is not submitted. Do you think the same might have happned to you on this occasion?

GS

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 5th, 2018, 10:02 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Which can’t now be answered, on that thread at least. ;)
Something tells me there will be plenty of opportunities in the future to discuss these things. That locked thread was a bit of a special case. :D

Cheers,
Chris

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 5th, 2018, 10:47 pm

GoSeigen wrote:Sometimes, when you write a post, then click submit, and since you started writing someone else has posted to the thread, then the message sumbission fails and a rather inconspicuous error message appears along these lines: "While you were writing your message someone else posted on this thread. Please review the new messages and resubmit if you still wish to post".

I'm pretty sure I sometimes miss these messages in my haste and then my post is not submitted. Do you think the same might have happned to you on this occasion?

GS

Quite likely! I've been posting a fair few times today (for me, anyway) whilst also doing stuff away from my PC, so would have hit "submit" and not looked at the screen until I got back, which would usually involve clicking on "new posts" in the Quick Links drop-down, so completely missing any such error message.

When I first started work, I was an IT graduate trainee and put on a support desk for a particular in-house system that I needed to learn about. Ever since then I've trusted computer logs of what happened way more than people's recollections, including my own ;)

VRD

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 10th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Is there a medal for those volunteers who agree to moderate Polite Discussions?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 10th, 2018, 12:33 pm

No but thanks are always appreciated! :)

John

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 10th, 2018, 2:20 pm

scotia wrote:Is there a medal for those volunteers who agree to moderate Polite Discussions?

Yes. VC and Scar.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 10th, 2018, 2:49 pm

XFool wrote:
scotia wrote:Is there a medal for those volunteers who agree to moderate Polite Discussions?

Yes. VC and Scar.

There's a virtual type of VC available, in the form of a Thumbs up. :arrow:

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » July 12th, 2018, 11:11 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
XFool wrote:

Yes. VC and Scar.

There's a virtual type of VC available, in the form of a Thumbs up. :arrow:

But not on the PD board ☺

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”