Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Re-Ordering Investment Roundtable

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Re-Ordering Investment Roundtable

Postby Gengulphus » August 18th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Melanie wrote:Given what you have contributed above, where would you suggest that the kind of questions I periodically ask should go? That is, Mel and I are looking at a couple of firms, and looking at their financials, KPIs, ratios etc. and one such ratio intrigues us. E.g. "interest cover", ROCE etc. and we'd like to ask a question regarding this, and we may ask the question, in relation to a particular firm or several firms, or no firm in particular. Furthermore, as such a thread/topic matures, other posters may contribute to the thread, by ref. to different firms, the quoted firm etc. etc.

Would you say in "INVESTORS' ROUNDTABLE - Techniques" -> "Technical Analysis" ?

Definitely not! Unfortunately, "technical analysis" has a rather non-obvious technical meaning in the context of investing, which is basically to do with analysing patterns of trading on markets - looking at price fluctuations, volumes of the share (or other investment) traded, etc. Basically, it's analysis of how markets operate, in the hope of getting clues about where they're going to go next, and so is potentially most useful for short-term trading. (I say "potentially" because opinions differ widely about how useful it is!)

So analysing what the companies themselves are like in terms of making earnings, paying dividends, owning valuable assets, etc, although definitely technical in the everyday sense, is not what the Technical Analysis board is about. The general term for it is "fundamental analysis". And before you ask, no, TLF does not have a fundamental analysis board. I seem to recall that TMF did, though named something like "Analysing Company Reports" rather than "Fundamental Analysis", but it didn't make the cut for being carried over to TLF - I'd guess most likely just because no-one expressed an interest in it at the time.

It might well be quite a good addition to the site: Share Ideas is IMHO not the ideal home for the sort of threads you've been posting on it, basically because of the different 'durabilities' of the posts. I.e. I can well imagine your threads about price-to-book ratio, free cash flow, etc, still being of interest to those wanting to learn (or refresh their memories about) how to calculate, use and not use them in 5 or 10 years' time, whereas threads about specific companies such as James Halstead, Walker Greenbank or Indigovision will be well out of date - even if the company does happen to still be of interest, it will be based on different information.

If you do want such a board, I'd suggest you post a new thread about it here on the Biscuit Bar, as I think a new thread stands a better chance of attracting attention than a reply over a week into a point of detail about how the site presents itself! I can't guarantee success, but it does look to me to have a very reasonable chance.

Gengulphus

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 18th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Not TA for what you have described, no. TA is a very specific thing.

I'd go with share ideas myself.

Ultimately it doesn't matter that much really, as long as you avoid HYP which is really the only board that has tight parameters.

Agree 100% re heirachy though I'd never considered it before at all.

Mel

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » August 18th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Definitely not! Unfortunately, "technical analysis" has a rather non-obvious technical meaning in the context of investing, which is basically to do with analysing patterns of trading on markets - looking at price fluctuations, volumes of the share (or other investment) traded, etc. Basically, it's analysis of how markets operate, in the hope of getting clues about where they're going to go next, and so is potentially most useful for short-term trading. (I say "potentially" because opinions differ widely about how useful it is!)

Ha! Indeed, I did wonder. And I certainly appreciate that the type of analysis to which you refer to be quite different.

Gengulphus wrote:So analysing what the companies themselves are like in terms of making earnings, paying dividends, owning valuable assets, etc, although definitely technical in the everyday sense, is not what the Technical Analysis board is about. The general term for it is "fundamental analysis". And before you ask, no, TLF does not have a fundamental analysis board. I seem to recall that TMF did, though named something like "Analysing Company Reports" rather than "Fundamental Analysis", but it didn't make the cut for being carried over to TLF - I'd guess most likely just because no-one expressed an interest in it at the time.

Hmm.. yes.

Gengulphus wrote:If you do want such a board, I'd suggest you post a new thread about it here on the Biscuit Bar, as I think a new thread stands a better chance of attracting attention than a reply over a week into a point of detail about how the site presents itself! I can't guarantee success, but it does look to me to have a very reasonable chance.

Yes, Geng, I think it would be great for the TLF to add a new sub-forum area for discussion of the type of the questions I've been asking of late. Even better if the mods/admins can move some of our earlier threads over there once it's created ;)

Matt

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 18th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Gengulphus wrote:"technical analysis" has a rather non-obvious technical meaning in the context of investing, which is basically to do with analysing patterns of trading on markets - looking at price fluctuations, volumes of the share (or other investment) traded, etc. Basically, it's analysis of how markets operate, in the hope of getting clues about where they're going to go next, and so is potentially most useful for short-term trading. (I say "potentially" because opinions differ widely about how useful it is!)

So analysing what the companies themselves are like in terms of making earnings, paying dividends, owning valuable assets, etc, although definitely technical in the everyday sense, is not what the Technical Analysis board is about. The general term for it is "fundamental analysis". And before you ask, no, TLF does not have a fundamental analysis board. I seem to recall that TMF did, though named something like "Analysing Company Reports" rather than "Fundamental Analysis", but it didn't make the cut for being carried over to TLF - I'd guess most likely just because no-one expressed an interest in it at the time.

I'd agree that technical analysis is more common with short-term trading although I use it as part of a long-term strategy. Mostly to identify entry and exit points, thereby setting levels for limit orders or choosing a strike price for options. Generally the duration of the chart you use will reflect the time horizon of your investment outlook. To me TA is a handy means of seeing what the market as a whole is seeing without knowing anything about the underlying. Sometimes TA shows a trend before the news is out, presumably because of insider activity.

Perhaps there is no need for a "fundamental analysis" board for another reason as well. Other than the TA board, I think tthat fundamental analysis can legitimately be discussed on many of the investment boards and, as such, doesn't need its own place. FA methods are more specific to the underlying security type whereas with TA, less so, it's more of a black art :D

I like your suggested board taxonomy.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 18th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Just to do a crosspost for Matt - he has started a new thread on the subject of a "fundamental analysis" board. I'd suggest that all discussion about it takes place there to avoid it being fragmented, and to make it more easily spottable by those who are more interested in such a board than in the exact order in which the Investors' Roundtable boards are listed!

Gengulphus

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » August 22nd, 2018, 5:34 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Gengulphus

This is a good suggestion.

Two minor tweaks:
- Should we have a Value Shares board?
- Can we separate out Elon Musk from the Macro topics and give him his own board; the Macro board is becoming a bit off-putting, as there is a devoted fan club who think Elon walks on water, but his knob still gets wet 'cos it's swinging so low, and then another bunch who think the opposite

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”