Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Moderator Appreciation

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Moderator Appreciation

Postby Gengulphus » August 14th, 2018, 10:51 am

Pendrainllwyn wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:Edit: I should add on the actual topic of the thread that I appreciate the efforts of the moderators right now and see no reason to wait for an annual Moderators Appreciation Day!

I completely agree. However, that could also be said for Mothering Sunday which has become quite popular. It also doesn't seem to happen much on TLF. Criticism of Mods seems to far outweigh appreciation and I thought some rebalancing might be beneficial.

I have pretty much the same views (*) on Mothering Sunday and many other annual 'days' that have become popular comparatively recently in this country. For an indication of my reasons why, you might try reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothering_Sunday about the origins of Mothering Sunday and about what it attributes its current popularity to - entirely plausibly IMHO!

(*) Though they do vary according to what the 'day' is about - there are so many of them that someone who supported them all would be hopelessly schizophrenic!

Gengulphus

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » August 15th, 2018, 8:52 pm

An interesting post everyone.

The very nature of this site is one to emulate (and bow down to in some cases) the fantastic community feel of the original TMF.

I often felt more a friend of strangers than a random keyboard warrior there.

The lessons from TMF were - good moderation and fair rules as the purpose and use of each (very) varied topic/room

We have only aimed to emulate. This very Biscuit Bar is here purely to invite, receive and give an open forum to discuss this sites very purpose and methods of use. This thread is one such welcome thread. You are welcome to not venture into the bar. You are welcome to avoid the open discussion of how the site is run, and stay in the highly entertaining and useful other sections of course.

We could remove all option of feedback, or hide it behind closed PM's - but is that really any better?

It's meant to be clear that other areas are for the discussion of the topic in hand and and deviation should be avoided. I have suffered myself in forums where anything goes and rules are more a suggestion. In short, it doesn't work and useful information, discussion and debate are hidden in trashy one liners.

But at the heart of it all is me.

I pay to keep this place (with the support of ads and donations) open and happy and rely heavily on the moderator team for which I cannot praise and thank enough. There is no way possible I could manage alone (nods cap to clariman as well)

If however there is concern about moderating styles, consistency or general complaints you are all more than welcome to PM me.
Which is another interesting fact - no one ever does. Maybe 2 a year.
So are you all just enjoying the openness of the site that tolerates feedback, negative or constructive? If not surely you would have brought it up directly if not?

And my final thought (ooh I feel all Jerry Springer)
The stats (as queried ) are that we have a constant and regular amount of new and repeat visitors, guest or silent users in the most case.
To put it into context, well over a million visits a month and since you can read 20ish posts on one "visit" thats a lot of individual messages being read.

Now I need to go and have a good talk with myself for excessive use of brackets.

Stooz ( not my real name - a pseudonym to hide my real identity that I have done for over 20 years - because i'm shy like that)
Damn - more brackets....

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » October 5th, 2018, 5:27 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Lootman wrote:The one thing that I do see is that the largest number of concurrent users was 199, and that was 10 months ago. Does that constitute "Peak TLF"? I have no idea.

I believe that there is a limit of 200 users at any one time. Some of those will be bots and some will be shown as "Guests".

TJH

Obviously not, as I just noticed that a new record was set on 3 October of 209 users online at 8:08pm - onwards and upwards! :D

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » October 5th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Wow. That's online now, which is a 5 minute window

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”