Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Over moderated...Again!

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Over moderated...Again!

Postby beeswax » August 22nd, 2018, 5:07 pm

One of my posts was just deleted by melonfool because she wondered why I made a post on the legal 'practical' board about someone acting in a 'best interests' capacity for a in my case my MIL which was following on various discussions about LPA's on other threads and the point I was making is there are other alternatives to paying for 'legal' documentation and representation and gave some examples where public bodies did accept a best interests declaration in lieu of a LPA etc. ..

As usual someone added other things such as spouse signing their spouses cheque with their permission not without it and the Moderator wrote this..

melonfool wrote:
Moderator Message:
Just a quick reminder that we do not allow people to suggest, hint at or discuss illegal activity here - such as forging cheques. I would also remind people that giving out your PIN is a breach of the bank terms. I confess I don't really understand the point of the OP, but if people wish to discuss this subject, please do so without making any comments that might lead to people doing things that are illegal. Oh, and please stop dissing lawyers, that is also against the site Rules. Mel

I see my last reply was deleted and yet you were the one that questioned what was the point of my OP and I just wrote the reason? Should I now have to ask permission BEFORE I post anything? And people wonder why some people get hissed off? If this is deleted again I will repost it on the Biscuit bar as object strongly your insinuation that somehow it was off topic when it was definitely not...

In my view this intervention by a Moderator was OTT...and not necessary..IMV of course..

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Re: Over moderated...Again!

Postby jackdaww » August 22nd, 2018, 5:13 pm

you should see the HYP practical board ...

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » August 22nd, 2018, 5:16 pm

I am sure this was very frustrating.

The thing to remember is that the moderation is provided by volunteers.

Whenever I reach for the keyboard to vent my spleen, I try to ask myself whether I feel strongly enough to volunteer for a stint. Works a treat, nearly every time I gently put keyboard down again!

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 22nd, 2018, 5:18 pm

You are massively overreacting.

I did not question why you wrote it, I simply said I did not understand it. That did not mean I need you to explain it to me - I specifically said people could continue to discuss it. There is nothing stopping people, you, anyone joining in the thread on the original topic/premise - what is not OK is for you to question me directly on a board, either about the moderation OR about my comment that I did not understand the thread.

I had not seen the previous threads about LPA, why would you assume I had?

If you have a problem, drop me a PM, drop the admins a PM or post here - you know this. No-one wants threads overrun with people talking about moderation.

(I have PM'd you btw, I'm terribly sorry it took more than about two minutes to do so but I was busy helping my 78 year old mother over WhatsApp to change the settings on her phone, which I considered slightly more important)

Mel

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 22nd, 2018, 5:19 pm

jackdaww wrote:you should see the HYP practical board ...

You should have seen the trolling!

Mel

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 22nd, 2018, 5:20 pm

beeswax wrote:
In my view this intervention by a Moderator was OTT...and not necessary..IMV of course..

For the avoidance of doubt, is that the thread where you go on to say -

"I confess I'm pig headed where authority is concerned and the more they tell me what they want, the more I try and do the opposite"?

Asking for a friend....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » August 22nd, 2018, 5:28 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
beeswax wrote:

"I confess I'm pig headed where authority is concerned and the more they tell me what they want, the more I try and do the opposite"?

Asking for a friend....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

No, Mods are the least of my worries, a dead cinch actually...Like a gnat that you need to keep swatting away!

Anyway what has THAT sentence got to do with my issue with over moderation?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 22nd, 2018, 5:32 pm

beeswax wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
beeswax wrote:

Asking for a friend....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

No, Mods are the least of my worries, a dead cinch actually...Like a gnat that you need to keep swatting away!

Moderator Message:
Your two week ban starts tomorrow Beeswax...try swatting that one away. How's that for over-moderation

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 22nd, 2018, 5:36 pm

Beeswax

You should try not to show your true colours quite so clearly (as in the post to which I’m deliberately not quoting and may have already gone).

I thought your post at Legal Issues of some interest and the answer to the only question was provided early on. There may have been other questions but it was hard to follow. Looked more like a rant to me, similar to those you’ve already written about your relation on Polite Discussions, a number of times.

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » August 22nd, 2018, 5:37 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
beeswax wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

Asking for a friend....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Moderator Message:
Your two week ban starts tomorrow Beeswax...try swatting that one away. How's that for over-moderation

Haha..

See, the usual all the Mods ganging up again?

Tell you what, how about deleting my account PERMANENTLY and save us all the trouble?

Don't you think a Mod asking whether I need a friend is downright insulting and condescending?

I hope you don't delete this thread as its leading on from all the other posters that have decided to leave due to over moderation...

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 22nd, 2018, 5:40 pm

No Moderator asked if you needed a friend. Try reading the post again, slowly.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 22nd, 2018, 5:42 pm

I don't understand why supposedly adult people behave like spoilt children on these boards. If you don't like it here, then don't bother coming. Go spit your dummy elsewhere.

The mods do a difficult job, and I fully support them.

Ian.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 22nd, 2018, 5:50 pm

idpickering wrote:I don't understand why supposedly adult people behave like spoilt children on these boards. If you don't like it here, then don't bother coming. Go spit your dummy elsewhere.

Ian.

======

yes but that doesnt mean they are beyond criticism , some of which i think is quite fair.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 22nd, 2018, 5:52 pm

melonfool wrote:
jackdaww wrote:you should see the HYP practical board ...

You should have seen the trolling!

Mel

=======================

critical appraisal should not be labelled trolling .

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 22nd, 2018, 5:55 pm

What are the chances of HYP being discussed further on this Topic. No-one could have foreseen it.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 22nd, 2018, 5:56 pm

jackdaww wrote:
idpickering wrote:I don't understand why supposedly adult people behave like spoilt children on these boards. If you don't like it here, then don't bother coming. Go spit your dummy elsewhere.

Ian.

======

yes but that doesnt mean they are beyond criticism , some of which i think is quite fair.

Fair enough jack. The bottom line for me is that we're only human, and error prone sometimes.

Ian.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 22nd, 2018, 6:00 pm

As everyone can see - all I did was post a reasonably polite reminder on the Legal Board to prevent a thread moving into territory we prefer to avoid.

I didn't delete anything.

I didn't stop the thread (I specifically said it could continue).

I was acting as the result of a report.

I then deleted two messages making reference to that which were talking about moderation (we like this to be here, if it is necessary, and not to clutter up threads) and replying to something the poster had obviously misread in my message.

Meanwhile I managed to find time to PM the poster, which I do try to do if there are not too many things going on at once.

BW seems to have taken exception mainly to me saying I didn't understand his post but also to the fact I deleted his replies to the mod box on the original thread.

In this instance, since I didn't even actually moderate anything other than remove two posts about moderation, I can't see how that is 'over moderation'.

Moderation you do not agree with is just that - moderation you do not agree with. Polite requests or queries about moderation are totally fine - we get things wrong, we misread things, it happens.

It feels currently as if it is 'have a go at a mod' month. Perhaps some of those who keep popping up to criticise would like to volunteer?

Mel

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 22nd, 2018, 6:32 pm

idpickering wrote:… The mods do a difficult job, and I fully support them. ...

I'm not having a pop, as such, but is this full support applicable to when you don't appear to be supporting their Moderation actions?:

viewtopic.php?p=158121#p158121
viewtopic.php?p=158416#p158416

I'm aware you later effectively retracted your question in the second post, having received some clarification. The one that said Who mods the mods I wonder, if anyone?.

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » August 22nd, 2018, 7:21 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
idpickering wrote:… The mods do a difficult job, and I fully support them. ...

I'm not having a pop, as such, but is this full support applicable to when you don't appear to be supporting their Moderation actions?:

viewtopic.php?p=158121#p158121
viewtopic.php?p=158416#p158416

I'm aware you later effectively retracted your question in the second post, having received some clarification. The one that said Who mods the mods I wonder, if anyone?.

Not sure this is necessary. How about we get on with investment advice?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 22nd, 2018, 7:41 pm

Walrus wrote:Not sure this is necessary.

Yes, you are probably right but I thought it might be an idea for idp to see where he might not have been as supportive as he would like to have been and normally is.

How about we get on with investment advice?

Yes, on the relevant boards, not that anyone should be providing advice per se. This board's sub-header is Pull up a chair, have a biscuit - discuss the site and general questions about the LemonFool and the current Topic appears to be about Moderation, rather than investment.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”