Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

PM stuck in outbox

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
BobbyD
Lemon Half

PM stuck in outbox

Postby BobbyD » August 16th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Sent a PM, it's been sat in my outbox for sometime, so I resent it. Got a message saying it had been successfully sent, but now I have two copies sat in my outbox, and no new additions to my sent messages.

RececaDron
2 Lemon pips

Re: PM stuck in outbox

Postby RececaDron » August 16th, 2018, 4:31 pm

PM stuck in outbox

Assumed you were referring to Theresa May...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 16th, 2018, 4:46 pm

I think they sit there until opened by recipient (???)

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » August 16th, 2018, 5:06 pm

Correct. It doesn't work like email, there's no server to queue them up. Messages sit in your outbox until the recipient reads them, then get shifted to "sent". It could take forever if the recipient doesn't open it. Sending it twice won't help.

Gryff

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 16th, 2018, 5:12 pm

gryffron wrote:Correct. It doesn't work like email, there's no server to queue them up. Messages sit in your outbox until the recipient reads them, then get shifted to "sent". It could take forever if the recipient doesn't open it. Sending it twice won't help.

Yes, someone had been picking a fight with me and, when the topic was closed down, he sent me a PM, presumably wanting to continue the squabble.

So I didn't open it, figuring that he would know that since it would stick in his outbox. Petty, perhaps, but I didn't want to give him the satisfaction.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 16th, 2018, 5:50 pm

gryffron wrote:Correct. It doesn't work like email, there's no server to queue them up. Messages sit in your outbox until the recipient reads them, then get shifted to "sent". It could take forever if the recipient doesn't open it. Sending it twice won't help.

What can help is simply deleting it from the Outbox. The recipient will then never receive it, but that clearly doesn't matter if it's the second copy of a message sent in the mistaken hope that it will get through when the first isn't doing so.

It can also help when the reason for sending the PM in the first place has vanished - e.g. if it was giving details of a planned meeting that has now happened, or in the one case where I've done it, when in the early days of TLF I sent someone a PM containing a link to a board I knew they would be very interested in. It didn't get read, but they did eventually turn up on the board, and quite some time after that, I realised that the PM was still in my Outbox. They'd presumably found the board, but probably just hadn't noticed the PM facility, or possibly don't use such facilities on principle (*). But whatever the reason, the PM still hadn't been read and was well past its use-by date, so I tidied it up by deleting it.

(*) I have a considerable amount of sympathy with that - I like to be in control of how many places I need to look for PMs myself, not just have them added willy-nilly and without asking me, for the very simple reason that I don't want to spend my whole life scanning around all the places where they might be!

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”