Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

What about a new board for shares/company research?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Re: What about a new board for shares/company research?

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » September 7th, 2018, 8:35 am

Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:I want the volunteer moderators to have less work to do rather than more, and I think that putting TA and FA together on the same Company Analysis board is likely to generate more work for them rather than less, based on TA-vs-FA slanging matches I've seen in the past (of which the "tea leaves" example I've given and a few have indulged in on this thread is a mere shadow). You clearly think that putting them together on the same board. Fine, we disagree about that, and in making the decision stooz and Clariman may well want to decide which view they go with

I agree that is the basic issue. I just disagree with your conclusion.

I think proliferating boards in general leads to tighter, narrower definitions of those boards, and more restricted scope for each one. That in turn leads to more opportunities for posting on the wrong board, and so more moderation activity.

I offered the two HY boards as an example where a somewhat artificial divide within one topic has led to eternal wars and much moderation. Whilst the "unsplit" boards do not suffer that fate.

Whether merging or splitting boards is better for an individual is another matter, but I am thinking more about the workload of volunteers than that of individuals. And I maintain that individuals can make choices about how they browse the site that greatly reduces any issue with the board structure. My method is almost independent of the board structure, for instance, and very simple to employ.

I am not convinced that including complementary versions of share analysis together in one location would cause any problems. In many cases it may be beneficial in not splitting topics into two.

Lootman,

I have just looked at the first 5 topics in the TA board just now:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=12539
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=465
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=11359
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=11207
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=10028

and none of them seem to bear much resemblance to any of the kind of posts/questions which we had in mind upon phrasing this. Please correct me if you maintain that they actually relevant to the OP, but if not, would you mind awfully taking your very lengthy and distracting conversation with Gengulphus elsewhere?

I apologise in advance if I have got the wrong end of the stick, but except for the goal of just minimising the total number of boards for it's own sake, your apparent (to me at least!) desire of merging my request into the current TA board seems incorrect.

many thanks
Matt

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » September 7th, 2018, 9:28 am

Gengulphus wrote: To summarise my main reasons for that preference order (there is at least one more minor one as well):

* I don't like A at all because it tries to put discussions of two separate approaches together when adherents of the two have a history of frequently getting into unproductive slanging conflicts with each other elsewhere, and I see no reason why it won't also happen here if each gets a reasonable amount of interest.

* C has the same problem as A, but is a bit better because it does give those who want to get away from the IMHO-likely slanging matches a place to escape to.

* No change at all is better than either A or C because it doesn't suffer from their common problem.

* B is better than no change because it offers a sensible place for discussions about fundamental analysis to go that doesn't lumber them with the baggage of being in the context of a particular company or a particular type of strategy.

As a former regular TA board poster, I also would favour B. I get the impression "Share Ideas" is meant to discuss individual shares from a FA point of view but focussing on small-cap shares, continuing the discussion in Paulypilot's Pub at TMF. It seems to me it could be renamed and its remit widened to include FA-based discussion of any shares, small or large, if its readers agreed.

That's all on two assumptions. The first is that there is sufficient interest in using such a board to keep it going - which I'm a bit doubtful about, especially given what a look at the recent posting level in the Technical Analysis board shows.

Unfortunately the TA board was hijacked a while back by an individual who wanted to post minute-by-minute [slightly exaggerating] updates on movements of the FTSE on whichever threads were active at the time. That may have something to do with the lack of intelligent input to the board since then. If a more disciplined approach is followed then contributors may come back.

GS

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 7th, 2018, 9:33 am

Melanie wrote:Lootman, none of them seem to bear much resemblance to any of the kind of posts/questions which we had in mind upon phrasing this. Please correct me if you maintain that they actually relevant to the OP, but if not, would you mind awfully taking your very lengthy and distracting conversation with Gengulphus elsewhere?

I apologise in advance if I have got the wrong end of the stick, but except for the goal of just minimising the total number of boards for it's own sake, your apparent (to me at least!) desire of merging my request into the current TA board seems incorrect.

I agree that TA and FA are quite distinct methods of analysis. That to me is a separate issue to the question of whether they could or should share a board or not. As I mentioned earlier, football is nothing like cricket but both share the Sports board without a problem that I know about.

I do see a benefit to being able to perform more than one kind of analysis of a share on the same board rather than having to split that discussion between two boards.

It was Clariman's suggestion that there just be one board for both, and he asked for feedback on that from those with an interest in TA, so I gave mine. It was not my idea originally and I mentioned it only in response to his specific request. I have never objected to the idea that FA should have a home; only where that home should be.

That said I apologise if you find my contributions to be distracting. It was not my intent.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 7th, 2018, 10:01 am

DECISION
Thanks again everyone. My posting of the 3 options was to focus the issues and the discussion, rather than have broader debates that go around the houses. I am pleased to say that I think it eventually succeeded in doing so. On the basis that we need somewhere to discuss Company Analysis, then I am happy to set up a board for it. If it could co-exist with TA as two sides of the same coin then that would have been my preference, but my reading of the discussion is that they would not sit well together. Some have made the point that they should sit well together and I have a lot of sympathy for that, but the debate suggests that they would not.

Mel/Matt with others have come up with a clear definition for it, so we'll use that as the basis.

Many thanks to Geng too for the offer of assistance to have another poll etc., but I think we have brought the discussion to a point where we can make a decision.

So to be clear, we will go with my Option B - a new board for this. I am out most of today so it may not appear for a day or two.

Thanks again to all
Clariman

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”