Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

What about a new board for shares/company research?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: What about a new board for shares/company research?

Postby PinkDalek » September 6th, 2018, 2:04 pm

tjh290633 wrote:... provided that the subject of a thread would start with TA if it is of the Technical Analysis genre. Then anyone who is not a devotee of point and figure or double bottoms, or whatever is warned to avoid it.

... TA, tealeaves, etc, as required.

My bold and I'm not a TAer but aren't those exactly the type of comments that TLF are trying to avoid? You know, what with the main Board Rules including:

To make this a valued and successful discussion forum, LemonFool asks all users to be respectful, understanding and helpful to other posters

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 6th, 2018, 2:11 pm

The term tealeaves had been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I could equally have used Company Report delving, or some other term.

Anybody who is an avid scrutineer of the bottom of his cup might have been offended had I not mentioned it.

TJH

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 6th, 2018, 2:29 pm

tjh290633 wrote:The term tealeaves had been mentioned earlier in the thread

Interesting that the two Lemons who used the disparaging term "tealeaves" for TA are both advocates of HYP, whose adherents can be quite aggressive about demanding protection from ever having to read such criticism made of it.

PinkDalek is correct. If a subject is considered worthy and serious enough to have its own board on TLF then it is not helpful or constructive to paint it as some kind of black art or voodoo divination. It can actually be pretty useful.

For the record I also support Clariman's first suggestion

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 6th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Thanks all but let's leave Tea-gate for another day ;). Can we focus on the question ref my 3 options (see above)....

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 6th, 2018, 7:02 pm

The purpose of having separate boards is to help guide people to find stuff they are interested in, appreciate, and will contribute constructively.
The purpose of moderation is to help keep topics on track, and avoid threads degenerating into overt mudslinging between people who think the other person's perspective is misguided at best (this wasn't the first description I typed). So the board grouping ought to be as broad as possible without setting up disagreements from the start.

Combining Company Analysis (fundamental) and Technical Analysis into one board will lead to problems. Obvious to anyone who reads the tea-leaves. OK, please excuse the last joke, but the serious note is that the pointed comments are a warning flag.

I would be interested in a board that got into the dissection of one of my HYP choices FCF. However, if folks felt it was OK by the board guidelines to weigh in with Technical Analysis, then I would be tempted to respond with Astrological Analysis, and so on. It would lead me, and probably others, to give up on the board.

So, to answer Clariman's question: I think there needs to be two separate boards: Technical Analysis, and One other (label tba - Company Analysis (Fundamental) or Company Analysis (Accounts)?)

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » September 6th, 2018, 7:36 pm

I agree with TUK.

And for the record I am not an 'advocate of HYP' by any stretch of the imagination, the vast majority of my investments are in ITs.

But I support the existence of the HYP board.

Mel

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » September 6th, 2018, 7:50 pm

I was going to delay my reply until tomorrow but seeing as loads of you have been weighing in, I thought I should write something and I hope it's coherent.

In response to my original post I still maintain that the "solution" is just one additional board. I don't think TA and FA should be fused together, and in fact I don't think the TA board should be disturbed at all.

And I believe that if people want a generic ask about a particular share that they are looking at, then just guessing, the "Share ideas" board looks like a good enough place (already).

So when Clariman wrote this

Clariman wrote:Company Analysis - which incorporates both Fundamental Analysis and Technical Analysis. Ignoring the history of what we have here, that gives a broad platform for analysing company health or performance in any way users want...

then I'd imagine the existing "Share ideas" is already fine for generic analysis of a firm. And if the current debate meanders over to FA or TA, then really who cares, as long as the OP is fine with it's progression.

However the request I made, which I believe many LF posters understand, is different since is for a board where the focal point is use of financial statements, i.e. those in annual reports, and the application, and interpretation of ratios and formulae in determining the attractiveness of the company as an investment, mainly for equity, but by no means ruling out bonds.

I actually maintain that the clearest title is just "Company Analysis". I believe that the word fundamental is an unnecessary decoration. And I think there to be little upset that it is not a complement to "Technical Analysis", since that latter term, seems (from my very brief perusal, a minute ago, bearing in mind that I have never posted there!!) to be as much about entire markets as individual companies.

So I return to an earlier post of mine for what I think makes sense:

The proposed board
Title: "Company analysis"

Subtitle: "Analysing companies' finances and value from their financial statements using ratios and formulae"

The requirement: to give a home for posts/questions/discussions relating to analysis of companies as investment opportunities by using figures extracted from the Financial statements from company period ends and an application of formulae/ratios.

The scope: this can be quite broad, since it can include accounting practices, validity/interpreting of the figures, the value of formulae (e.g. sector/company size specific where are P/E, P/sales, P/NAV appropriate or otherwise). The ratios can be discussed against one, zero, or several companies......against one year...or against each AR of a firm over a period of years, e.g. how capital/equity structure is changing, whether this makes the company more or less desirable. In addition to discussion of profitability (ROCE, ROE), cash flow, indebtedness, also valuation techniques (Price multiples, DCF variants etc.) can be discussed.

From what I've read/understood in a lot of the replies it does look like there is apparent consensus from several here e.g. mc2fool, TUK, TJH, melonfool, and possibly Geng too. Sorry if I've misrepresented anyone, and feel free to shout out. But I think what I've just suggested underneath the banner "The proposed board" is about as close as I think I/we are going to get.

Matt
Last edited by TheMotorcycleBoy on September 6th, 2018, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 6th, 2018, 7:56 pm

Melanie wrote:
The proposed board -

Subtitle: "Analysing companies' finances and value from their financial statements using ratios and formulae"

Sounds good to me - what's not to like?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 6th, 2018, 8:03 pm

Melanie wrote:So I return to an earlier post of mine for what I think makes sense:

The proposed board

Matt

sounds good to me

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 6th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Wizard wrote:IMHO options 2 and 3 will just create a new HYP Practical vs High Yield Shares and Strategies situation with endless debates about which board to post things on, so I would say it has to be option 1.

I totally disagree and think it's completely the opposite. A big part of the source of the HYP-P vs HYSS "which board" situation is that HYP is a type of high yield share strategy, a subset, as evidenced by the fact that HYSS is where the HYP strategy is (should be) discussed (as opposed to the practical implementation of it).

By contrast Fundamental Analysis and Technical Analysis are entirely different methodologies, with about as much in common as cricket and fly fishing, and so there's very little chance of any "which board" debates (other than out of total ignorance).

Indeed, not only are they entirely different methodologies but they come from completely diametrically opposed philosophies, and (even though some people may use both) there are strong opinions from the proponents of each that the other is a, ummm, complete waste of time (to put it diplomatically :D)

Forcing the two communities onto one board is much more likely to lead to slanging matches than having separate boards, as each will constantly have the others views popping up in their face, so to speak. So, aside from anything else, the lowest moderation solution is to have two separate boards.

Clariman wrote:
  • Company Analysis - which incorporates both Fundamental Analysis and Technical Analysis. Ignoring the history of what we have here, that gives a broad platform for analysing company health or performance in any way users want. I like that.
:
I'd really like to do the first but we'd need to check that the Tech Analysis people who be happy to have their board renamed and scope widened.

Have you actually looked at the Technical Analysis board? I just have (for the 1st time). It's not very busy, only 31 topics, but out of those 31 only two are about any company (Tesco & Vodafone). The great majority are about indices, the FTSE, Dow, S&P 500, Nikkei, etc, along with a couple on sectors and commodities.

So your proposal would have their board renamed and scope widened in one way, to include stuff they probably don't want, and severely narrowed in another, to exclude stuff they do, or in other words, totally changed. Yes, you should check with them ;)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 6th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:So any idea that new boards on the basis that that preference should settle the question is an extremely one-dimensional argument.

It was Clariman who stated that TLF would have far fewer boards than TMF. If you think he is being "one dimensional" then I suggest that you tell him, not me.

Since he left 69+ boards, not just one, clearly he didn't think that "fewer boards" should be enough to settle such questions. So no, I don't think Clariman is being "one dimensional". And by the way, I'm telling everybody who is reading this thread, including Clariman, not just you.

Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:I'm not entirely certain of what all TLF's other preferences are, but I'm fairly certain they include:

2) Not to present people with a board structure that requires them to sift their way through vast numbers of threads they consider uninteresting to find the ones they consider interesting. Some such sifting will be required, of course - there's no way a board structure can be made ideal for every user. But too much will be a serious deterrent to using the boards - most users will have a point at which the signal-to-noise ratio has dropped so low that they reckon it's a waste of time even looking.

We have had this debate before and all I can do is repeat the observation that I am at a loss to understand why you struggle cognitively to ignore topics that do not interest you. ...

I think I'll answer that by analogy: if I said that garden owners with lawns can have problems with molehills, and that too many molehills can be a real problem, would you decide that I struggle physically with clearing molehills? If so, you'd be making at least two unwarranted assumptions from what I'd said, namely that I am a gardener with a lawn, and that I am currently encountering too many molehills for me.

Lootman wrote:... And I say that because I find that a trivially easy task. Presumably I use a different method of reading the site than you do, as I am certainly not going to claim that you lack that ability. But it just seems very odd to me that you cannot scan a list of topics and pick out the odd one that interests you. I do that every day with barely any conscious effort.

I can and do have a mostly-trivial-effort way of ignoring stuff that doesn't interest me. Specifically, my method has three components:

A) I subscribe to boards whose threads (*) are reasonably likely to interest me and not to contain lots of material that I find I need to skim over. Both of those are important: for instance, I don't subscribe to the Sports Bar because I'm very unlikely to be interested in threads about sports, and I don't subscribe to Polite Discussions because although I am often interested in the subjects discussed there, I would find myself having to skim huge amounts of what's posted there - and would probably inadvertently miss a fair amount of the ~5% that does really interest me by doing the skimming too casually. So I simply use other sources than TLF to satisfy my interest in Polite Discussions subjects.

Or very occasionally, I decide that I do want to see something that's likely to be on a board I'm not subscribed to, so go in and actively seek it out. That and the occasional decision about whether to be subscribed to a board or not are the only conscious effort required.

B) I have my notification options set to notify me about new threads on the boards I'm subscribed to. When I deal with such a notification (and they're a big majority of the notifications I get sent to me), I click it (needed to mark the notification as read), take a quick look at the thread to decide whether I'm interested, and if not, move on to the next notification. The thread will never come to my attention again, unless someone specifically draws it to my attention. Very little effort, but a bit (and it becomes a bit more if I get more than 10 notifications behind, which is a large part of the reason why I'm not set up to get many notifications), and the cumulative effect of all those bits of effort could become annoying if there were too many of them

If the thread is of interest to me, I bookmark it to put it on my reading list, and I will usually eventually un-bookmark it when I think it's of no further interest to me, or has run its course and of no lasting interest. As a general rule, somewhere between 25% and 75% of the new threads on the boards I am subscribed to are quickly dropped, while the rest are bookmarked and the vast majority of those eventually un-bookmarked. A very few remain bookmarked indefinitely, basically because I know I'm going to want to find them again.

C) If a thread contains material that I'm not interested in, I try to skim it just enough to see that that's what it is and move past it. That's a bit more effort than simply un-bookmarking the thread and never looking at it again, but not too difficult and I'll do it in preference to giving up entirely on the thread by un-bookmarking it as long as I think there's a reasonable hope of getting enough further stuff that is of interest to me to justify the extra effort.

(*) Just to be clear, I personally try to avoid the word "topic" in this sort of discussion because although it is phpBB's term for them, I feel it is potentially confusing when used in discussions about what boards ought to be about - I think talk about a board's subject and its threads is much less likely to be misunderstood than talk about its topic and its topics... I do my best to take others' uses of "topic" as they intend, but I don't guarantee to succeed!

Lootman wrote:Having an individual topic invaded by extraneous commentary can be a burden. But a diversity of topics within a board is not a problem at all in my view. (Although a meaningful title certainly helps).

Exactly - extraneous commentary is the source of the main problems. I can ignore it, but skimming is more extra effort than the other methods of ignoring stuff, and too much of it can become burdensome.

In addition, I have problems with threads 'drifting' from their original subject that are quite independent of whether I am ignoring them. If I'm interested in the original subject of the thread, and others still potentially have things to say about it but start ignoring the thread because skimming for stuff about the original subject has become too burdensome for them, I consider that a problem.

And as another example, suppose that some way into a thread about a specific company on HYP Practical, someone posts about its free cash flow and someone else responds to ask "what is this 'free cash flow' you're talking about? how do you calculate it? what is and isn't it useful for?". How well the dividend is covered by free cash flow is certainly on-topic for the board, being a very plausible indicator of the safety of the dividend, and I don't think that one can reasonably say that explanations of what something on-topic that's been said is about should be off-topic. But some way into a thread about a single company on a board about a fairly narrowly-defined set of strategies is a long way from being the ideal place to get such an explanation: the person asking for such explanations would do better to ask them in a separate thread on HYP Practical to have a better chance of betting clear answers because they're not going to be ignored by those who aren't interested in that particular company, and better still to ask in a separate thread on a board that also isn't going to be ignored by those not interested in HYP strategies. And for both of those, if similar questions are asked later, there's a better chance of people being able to find the previous answers and refer to them.

Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:How does this balance out? I'm uncertain, mainly because I don't know the answer about 1) above. I think that needs a poll directed at getting responses about whether and how people would use it, and that poll needs to be about a reasonably specific proposal, ideally board name (fairly succinct), subtitle (for a reminder/explanation of a bit more detail) and guidance (to make it clear what the board is for and just how it affects other boards - hopefully just providing a better home for some poorly-fitting material IMHO).

And even with the results of such a poll, my view about how it all balances out won't ultimately matter - what will resolve the question is how it, together with any other considerations they have, balance out in stooz's and Clariman's minds, not mine.

Now here I agree. Except that I don't think we need yet another poll on board structures. The over-riding factor has to be the risk and workload for the volunteers who kindly provide this site. And if that means fewer boards with broader remits because experience tells the site sponsors that means less moderation and intervention is needed, then so be it. And if that means Lemons have to develop better sifting skills, then so be that as well. I'd be happy to teach my techniques for that not being a problem.

Again, neither your opinion on that nor mine ultimately count - it's not a question of whether we feel we need the type of poll I'm suggesting, but one of whether stooz and Clariman feel such a poll would be helpful input to the decision. If I were in their position, I would consider a poll about whether people are likely to use the proposed board (and if so how) to be helpful input, so I'm suggesting it - after a bit more work to clarify exactly what is being proposed, since this thread has exposed various interpretations of it.

Finally, an offer: I'm willing to try to help with an effort to produce some reasonably clear guidance for a new board and a poll about how much use it would get, but only if Clariman would find it helpful (a question only he can answer) and if it can be done constructively. That is, I'm willing to attempt it on the basis that we're trying to come up with the best proposal for a new board that we can, and some evidence about whether it would attract enough interest, and that the question of whether we actually have it or not is to be settled afterwards and out of order during it. On the other hand, if it's just going to be bombarded with repetitions and continuations of the arguments in this thread, I'm afraid I'm not willing to spend any more time on them: I've stated my position and my reasons for it in great detail (probably too much for some!) and anything more would just be pointless repetition.

Gengulphus

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 6th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Clariman wrote:What I'd find most helpful and woukd help bring this to a conclusion are answers to my questions ref the 3 options I posted above.

Quoting the options, with a change to the list format to make them easier to refer to:
Clariman wrote:
  1. Company Analysis - which incorporates both Fundamental Analysis and Technical Analysis. Ignoring the history of what we have here, that gives a broad platform for analysing company health or performance in any way users want. I like that.
  2. Fundamental [Company] Analysis and Technical Analysis. i.e. have a separate board for each approach. That makes logical sense but discussions about the same company may be split across the 2 boards. But if you call the former simply "Company Analysis", then won't you have the arguments about whether you can post Technical Analysis on the "Company Analysis" board or not. If we have both boards, then doesn't the former have to have the word "Fundamental" in it to avoid this?
  3. Have Company Analysis and Fundamental Company Analysis and Technical [Company] Analysis. Where the first one could cover any type of company analysis, but real aficionados of one technique would still have their dedicated boards.

my preference order from best to worst is B, (no change), C, A. To summarise my main reasons for that preference order (there is at least one more minor one as well):

* I don't like A at all because it tries to put discussions of two separate approaches together when adherents of the two have a history of frequently getting into unproductive slanging conflicts with each other elsewhere, and I see no reason why it won't also happen here if each gets a reasonable amount of interest.

* C has the same problem as A, but is a bit better because it does give those who want to get away from the IMHO-likely slanging matches a place to escape to.

* No change at all is better than either A or C because it doesn't suffer from their common problem.

* B is better than no change because it offers a sensible place for discussions about fundamental analysis to go that doesn't lumber them with the baggage of being in the context of a particular company or a particular type of strategy.

That's all on two assumptions. The first is that there is sufficient interest in using such a board to keep it going - which I'm a bit doubtful about, especially given what a look at the recent posting level in the Technical Analysis board shows.

The second is that the change doesn't render application of either type of analysis in the context of discussions of particular shares on share boards or of particular strategies on strategy boards off-topic, nor reasonably brief explanations of what is being done. I have little fear of that, given e.g. that I've encountered no problems posting about tax considerations outside the Taxes board when appropriate to a share or strategy and tailored to it, but it is a fear that has been expressed in this thread.

If either of those assumptions is wrong, my preference order changes to (no change), B, C, A.

Gengulphus

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Since he left 69+ boards, not just one, clearly he didn't think that "fewer boards" should be enough to settle such questions. So no, I don't think Clariman is being "one dimensional". And by the way, I'm telling everybody who is reading this thread, including Clariman, not just you.

'My point was not that we only need one board. Only that it was stated TLF policy to have far fewer boards than TMF, with all that that implies.

Gengulphus wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:I'm not entirely certain of what all TLF's other preferences are, but I'm fairly certain they include:

2) Not to present people with a board structure that requires them to sift their way through vast numbers of threads they consider uninteresting to find the ones they consider interesting. Some such sifting will be required, of course - there's no way a board structure can be made ideal for every user. But too much will be a serious deterrent to using the boards - most users will have a point at which the signal-to-noise ratio has dropped so low that they reckon it's a waste of time even looking.

We have had this debate before and all I can do is repeat the observation that I am at a loss to understand why you struggle cognitively to ignore topics that do not interest you. ...

I think I'll answer that by analogy: if I said that garden owners with lawns can have problems with molehills, and that too many molehills can be a real problem, would you decide that I struggle physically with clearing molehills? If so, you'd be making at least two unwarranted assumptions from what I'd said, namely that I am a gardener with a lawn, and that I am currently encountering too many molehills for me.

Lootman wrote:... And I say that because I find that a trivially easy task. Presumably I use a different method of reading the site than you do, as I am certainly not going to claim that you lack that ability. But it just seems very odd to me that you cannot scan a list of topics and pick out the odd one that interests you. I do that every day with barely any conscious effort.

I can and do have a mostly-trivial-effort way of ignoring stuff that doesn't interest me. Specifically, my method has three components . .

I think the fact that it took you hundreds of words to describe your "three components" approach to reading this site indicates to me the source of the problem you have with "sifting". What you do is not "trivial" at all. There are far easier methods.

Gengulphus wrote:
Lootman wrote:Having an individual topic invaded by extraneous commentary can be a burden. But a diversity of topics within a board is not a problem at all in my view. (Although a meaningful title certainly helps).

Exactly - extraneous commentary is the source of the main problems. I can ignore it, but skimming is more extra effort than the other methods of ignoring stuff, and too much of it can become burdensome.

In addition, I have problems with threads 'drifting' from their original subject that are quite independent of whether I am ignoring them. If I'm interested in the original subject of the thread, and others still potentially have things to say about it but start ignoring the thread because skimming for stuff about the original subject has become too burdensome for them, I consider that a problem.

Seems to me you are confusing two entirely different things. A topic going astray can be annoying. A board that contains diverse topics is much less likely to, for all the reasons I outlined earlier.

I think the issue is more fundamental - you appear to have less tolerance for the work of filtering than others here, and I am not convinced that you can reasonably ask the volunteers to undertake more work so that you can do less work.

All differences aside I suspect that anyone who reads our comments on this and related subjects will probably conclude a few things. One would be that you see value in greater granularity of boards and I do not. That you are comfortable with the need for more moderation activity and I am not. That you enjoy dense, verbose debate and I do not. That you enjoy complexity and I prefer simplicity.

And so on. Maybe we should both recuse ourselves.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 6th, 2018, 10:42 pm

mc2fool wrote:By contrast Fundamental Analysis and Technical Analysis are entirely different methodologies, with about as much in common as cricket and fly fishing, and so there's very little chance of any "which board" debates (other than out of total ignorance).

Indeed, not only are they entirely different methodologies but they come from completely diametrically opposed philosophies, and (even though some people may use both) there are strong opinions from the proponents of each that the other is a, ummm, complete waste of time (to put it diplomatically :D)

Forcing the two communities onto one board is much more likely to lead to slanging matches than having separate boards, as each will constantly have the others views popping up in their face, so to speak. So, aside from anything else, the lowest moderation solution is to have two separate boards.

Disagree. There is only one sports board. If you like cricket you may hate football and vice versa. But that is not deemed a good reason to have separate boards for every sport. People can just pick and choose, with no need to fight. Heck, even [expletive deleted] and Spurs fans get on there. Sort of.

You seem to have little faith that people who like FA and TA can get along. Why so? Both methods are helpful and both are forms of analysis. Your view strikes me as very cynical.

The only place where such fights happen is with HYP. And guess what? It has 2 boards supposedly designed to separate the Peoples' Front of Judea from the Judean Peoples' Front. How is that working out?

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » September 6th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Lootman wrote:
CryptoPlankton wrote:Personally, as TA is quite contentious and not a very prolifically used board here, I'd leave it as it is to get on with discussing its methods for analysing all these things and have a separate board for Company (Fundamental) Analysis, however it is to be named. There are already boards for bonds, commodities etc that would seem appropriate for discussing their "fundamentals". I don't really see how a third, more general, company analysis board could add much.

I gave an example earlier...

...I think there may be an assumption here that FA and TA are opposites, such that you can only have one and not the other. But they can be complementary, with more value conferred if you use both rather than just one.

Not sure where you mean by "here", but I think there may be an assumption there that there is an assumption somewhere where there actually isn't one... :)

Anyway, FWIW, I agree that B is the best of the available options, with Matt's proposed board title and subtitle sounding satisfactory for the purpose.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » September 6th, 2018, 11:29 pm

Lootman wrote:The only place where such fights happen is with HYP. And guess what? It has 2 boards supposedly designed to separate the Peoples' Front of Judea from the Judean Peoples' Front. How is that working out?

That's not the reason for the two boards at all. It's simply to allow people who want to follow a strategy to discuss it without people perpetually telling them it's the wrong strategy in the first place. And that discussions of various strategies can be discussed on another board. It's really very simple.

I can't help feeling that some people want more 'diversity' within the boards just so they can be disruptive without any complaint.

Mel

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 7th, 2018, 2:07 am

Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:

I can and do have a mostly-trivial-effort way of ignoring stuff that doesn't interest me. Specifically, my method has three components . .

I think the fact that it took you hundreds of words to describe your "three components" approach to reading this site indicates to me the source of the problem you have with "sifting". What you do is not "trivial" at all. There are far easier methods.

I didn't say that I have a problem with "sifting", and I don't. I said I would have a problem with it if stooz's and Clariman's decisions about which boards there are had been settled just by the type of argument you were making, but they clearly haven't. I think the explanation is that various other considerations I've described have counterbalanced them. If I'm right about those extra considerations having been taken into account then, they will presumably also be taken into account in making the decision about this proposed board and I may be able to help with my views about how they apply to it. If I'm wrong about that, the explanation must lie in something else they're also taking into account, and I'll only be able to help with it if I find out what it is.

I also didn't say that my method is trivial, because it isn't - it took me a number of attempts to find a method that suited me. I said it takes mostly trivial effort, and it does: picking out the threads I'm interested from a list of new-thread notifications is no more difficult than what you described as "scan a list of topics and pick out the odd one that interests you". You indicated that you found that easy, although "an individual topic invaded by extraneous commentary can be a burden" and "a meaningful title certainly helps" - and those are pretty much exactly the reasons I said the effort my method involves is mostly trivial rather than completely trivial.

Lootman wrote:I think the issue is more fundamental - you appear to have less tolerance for the work of filtering than others here, and I am not convinced that you can reasonably ask the volunteers to undertake more work so that you can do less work.

And I haven't asked them to do that. I want the volunteer moderators to have less work to do rather than more, and I think that putting TA and FA together on the same Company Analysis board is likely to generate more work for them rather than less, based on TA-vs-FA slanging matches I've seen in the past (of which the "tea leaves" example I've given and a few have indulged in on this thread is a mere shadow). You clearly think that putting them together on the same board. Fine, we disagree about that, and in making the decision stooz and Clariman may well want to decide which view they go with.

But what isn't so fine is that that makes three instances I've exposed in this post alone of you pretending I've said things that I haven't in order to manufacture 'replies' to them, all of which try to cast me in a negative light. I suppose you imagine it's likely to get you somewhere...

Gengulphus

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » September 7th, 2018, 6:51 am

Ok........

Regards the people who are still posting short and succinct replies, I think there is a broad level of consensus to adding a single additional board satisfying me and Mel's original request, along the lines of what I iterated here:

viewtopic.php?p=164032#p164032
viewtopic.php?p=164741#p164741

I also believe that Geng is somewhat in agreement from what he says here:

Gengulphus wrote:I want the volunteer moderators to have less work to do rather than more, and I think that putting TA and FA together on the same Company Analysis board is likely to generate more work for them rather than less, based on TA-vs-FA slanging matches I've seen in the past

and earlier posts of his:

viewtopic.php?p=160483#p160483
viewtopic.php?p=160532#p160532
viewtopic.php?p=160533#p160533

And he seems relaxed about dropping the "fundamental" part from the "company analysis". Please refute if ness, Geng. (Anyway, we could augment the subtitle slightly if the term "fundamental analysis" seems to be missing).

The main opponent seems to be Lootman, but it can only be down to stooz/clariman to determine the weight of this opposition in their decision.

Matt and Mel
Last edited by TheMotorcycleBoy on September 7th, 2018, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » September 7th, 2018, 6:57 am

Can I make another request please?

In order to keep this discussion on track, and help stooz/clariman come to a decision, can people who wish to continue potentially distracting discussions please take them elsewhere?

thank you,
Matt

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 7th, 2018, 8:14 am

Gengulphus wrote:I want the volunteer moderators to have less work to do rather than more, and I think that putting TA and FA together on the same Company Analysis board is likely to generate more work for them rather than less, based on TA-vs-FA slanging matches I've seen in the past (of which the "tea leaves" example I've given and a few have indulged in on this thread is a mere shadow). You clearly think that putting them together on the same board. Fine, we disagree about that, and in making the decision stooz and Clariman may well want to decide which view they go with

I agree that is the basic issue. I just disagree with your conclusion.

I think proliferating boards in general leads to tighter, narrower definitions of those boards, and more restricted scope for each one. That in turn leads to more opportunities for posting on the wrong board, and so more moderation activity.

I offered the two HY boards as an example where a somewhat artificial divide within one topic has led to eternal wars and much moderation. Whilst the "unsplit" boards do not suffer that fate.

Whether merging or splitting boards is better for an individual is another matter, but I am thinking more about the workload of volunteers than that of individuals. And I maintain that individuals can make choices about how they browse the site that greatly reduces any issue with the board structure. My method is almost independent of the board structure, for instance, and very simple to employ.

I am not convinced that including complementary versions of share analysis together in one location would cause any problems. In many cases it may be beneficial in not splitting topics into two.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”