Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

What about a new board for shares/company research?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: What about a new board for shares/company research?

Postby mc2fool » September 4th, 2018, 12:37 pm

Melanie wrote:
melonfool wrote:
Melanie wrote:maybe just "Company analysis" with a subtitle of "Analysing companies' finances and value from their accounts" is fine.

I like this one, it's simple and does not overlap with any pre-conceived hangovers from TMF!

Yes, the simplest terminology is usually the best.

I personally think that adding the word "fundamental" just muddies the description. Whilst I'm fully aware that the term "fundamental analysis", does have some sort of precedent in the investment world i.e. Fundamental Analysis, I think the addition of that extra adjective clouds an already succinct title.

Fundamental Analysis doesn't have just "some sort" of precedent in the investment world. Fundamental Analysis and Technical Analysis are the two main schools of thought for analysing potential investments. https://www.google.com/search?q=fundamental+vs+technical+analysis

Now, I do agree that the phrases themselves convey little to nothing to an outsider or newcomer (esp. "technical" analysis, at least with "fundamental" it's not a huge leap to understand that it's analysing the fundamental state of a company), but that's true in every speciality as all have their own terminology that is used within their context that may not be obvious or understood to those outside of or new to the speciality.

However, far from muddying or clouding, Fundamental Analysis conveys precise meaning within the investment world context.

Suppose someone was new to bikes (or maybe old to bikes but new to them in English, it not being their first language) and came to a biking forum and said they'd like a new board for discussing the various types of Steering Controls. "Umm...you mean Handlebars", "Handlebars? Well, that's not very clear; bars that handle what? Steering control is much more self-explanatory".

What would you name the new board, Steering Controls or Handlebars? :D

I note that TLF already has a Technical Analysis board.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 4th, 2018, 1:24 pm

mc2fool wrote: I do agree that the phrases themselves convey little to nothing to an outsider or newcomer (esp. "technical" analysis, at least with "fundamental" it's not a huge leap to understand that it's analysing the fundamental state of a company), but that's true in every speciality as all have their own terminology that is used within their context that may not be obvious or understood to those outside of or new to the speciality.

However, far from muddying or clouding, Fundamental Analysis conveys precise meaning within the investment world context.

The FA versus TA distinction is fairly well established, I'd agree. But that is not to say that they are mutually exclusive and you perform either one or the other. In my case, for instance, I may well undertake (a form of) FA to determine what to buy, and then use TA to determine when to buy, i.e. the prices that represent my entry and exit points.

It would be good if both of those discussions could be in one place rather than two, leaving the question of whether that is "Share Ideas" or somewhere else?

mc2fool wrote:I note that TLF already has a Technical Analysis board.

If the argument to have a FA board is that there is already a TA board (and I think that has merit) then there is a corresponding argument to not have a Value board, since there is no TLF Growth investing board, and growth and value are a duopoly in much the same way as FA/TA are.

That said, I only invest in growth shares when I think they represent good value :D

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 4th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Yes, the short title is best. The subtitle is also fine, but Fundamental has possibly other connotations.

TJH

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » September 4th, 2018, 7:08 pm

mc2fool wrote:However, far from muddying or clouding, Fundamental Analysis conveys precise meaning within the investment world context.

Ok. I see what you mean. From the wiki I grabbed earlier:

Fundamental analysis, in accounting and finance, is the analysis of a business's financial statements (usually to analyze the business's assets, liabilities, and earnings);

mc2fool wrote:Suppose someone was new to bikes (or maybe old to bikes but new to them in English, it not being their first language) and came to a biking forum and said they'd like a new board for discussing the various types of Steering Controls. "Umm...you mean Handlebars", "Handlebars? Well, that's not very clear; bars that handle what? Steering control is much more self-explanatory".

What would you name the new board, Steering Controls or Handlebars? :D

I note that TLF already has a Technical Analysis board.

Ha! Sorry your analogy makes me laugh. One with technical terminology is pretty loaded, IMHO, what with English generally being the technical lingo of the globe.

To me, I actually prefer "handlebars". Which probably means I prefer "company analysis". But to be honest I'm (fairly) happy with any of

"company analysis"
"fundamental company analysis"
"fundamental analysis" (least so)
"Analysis of company financial statements"

But seriously, me and Mel are new here, so I really think someone else should make the final call. My only must is that the subtitle makes up for the terseness we require from the title.

Matt

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 4th, 2018, 10:47 pm

Lootman wrote:If the argument to have a FA board is that there is already a TA board (and I think that has merit) then there is a corresponding argument to not have a Value board, since there is no TLF Growth investing board, and growth and value are a duopoly in much the same way as FA/TA are.

No, the corresponding argument is to have a Growth board and a Value board. The argument to have neither a Growth board nor a Value board is an argument in the opposite direction!

Gengulphus

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 5th, 2018, 12:03 am

Gengulphus wrote:
Lootman wrote:If the argument to have a FA board is that there is already a TA board (and I think that has merit) then there is a corresponding argument to not have a Value board, since there is no TLF Growth investing board, and growth and value are a duopoly in much the same way as FA/TA are.

No, the corresponding argument is to have a Growth board and a Value board. The argument to have neither a Growth board nor a Value board is an argument in the opposite direction!

More accurately, it is an argument to have either both or neither; not to have one and not the other.

And given the stated TLF preference for fewer boards, the burden of proof is on those wanting to add two new boards, with all the attendant risk of narrower definitions and more squabbles and moderation workload.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » September 5th, 2018, 12:53 am

There is no 'burden of proof', it's an open discussion.

Mel

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 6th, 2018, 12:26 pm

I like keeping this simple - that way I understand them :)

Mel/Matt suggested "Company Analysis" as the name for the requested board, which keeps it simple and quite broad. That makes sense to me. However, given that we already have a "Technical Analysis" board, which is an alternative approach to "Fundamental Analysis", then that begs the question whether we need 1 analysis board, 2 boards, or 3. i.e.

• Company Analysis - which incorporates both Fundamental Analysis and Technical Analysis. Ignoring the history of what we have here, that gives a broad platform for analysing company health or performance in any way users want. I like that.
  • Fundamental [Company] Analysis and Technical Analysis. i.e. have a separate board for each approach. That makes logical sense but discussions about the same company may be split across the 2 boards. But if you call the former simply "Company Analysis", then won't you have the arguments about whether you can post Technical Analysis on the "Company Analysis" board or not. If we have both boards, then doesn't the former have to have the word "Fundamental" in it to avoid this?
  • Have Company Analysis and Fundamental Company Analysis and Technical [Company] Analysis. Where the first one could cover any type of company analysis, but real aficionados of one technique would still have their dedicated boards.

If we could do it, I'd really like to do the first but we'd need to check that the Tech Analysis people who be happy to have their board renamed and scope widened.

C

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 6th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Clariman wrote:I like keeping this simple - that way I understand them :)

Mel/Matt suggested "Company Analysis" as the name for the requested board, which keeps it simple and quite broad. That makes sense to me. However, given that we already have a "Technical Analysis" board, which is an alternative approach to "Fundamental Analysis", then that begs the question whether we need 1 analysis board, 2 boards, or 3. i.e.

• Company Analysis - which incorporates both Fundamental Analysis and Technical Analysis. Ignoring the history of what we have here, that gives a broad platform for analysing company health or performance in any way users want. I like that.
  • Fundamental [Company] Analysis and Technical Analysis. i.e. have a separate board for each approach. That makes logical sense but discussions about the same company may be split across the 2 boards. But if you call the former simply "Company Analysis", then won't you have the arguments about whether you can post Technical Analysis on the "Company Analysis" board or not. If we have both boards, then doesn't the former have to have the word "Fundamental" in it to avoid this?
  • Have Company Analysis and Fundamental Company Analysis and Technical [Company] Analysis. Where the first one could cover any type of company analysis, but real aficionados of one technique would still have their dedicated boards.

If we could do it, I'd really like to do the first but we'd need to check that the Tech Analysis people who be happy to have their board renamed and scope widened.

I do use TA although I am not sure I'd count myself as one of the "Tech Analysis people". However I'd personally be happier with option (1) as well. The benefit of having all discussions in one place outweighs the greater granularity of options (2) and (3). And I think the moderation workload would be lower as well.

What might be useful is if people choose the topic titles carefully, perhaps making clear whether it is a TA or FA approach in the title?

PS: Both FA and TA can be used not just for shares but also for bonds (so the analysis is of an issuer which may or may not be a company) and even on indices, commodities, funds etc. So it should be made clear if this board is only for shares, or not.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » September 6th, 2018, 12:41 pm

I'd be really annoyed if I wanted to do/discuss analysis of a company's accounts/books and people kept popping up on my thread with their tea-leaf reading - so to me they are entirely different things.

You really really don't need TA to look at a company's books.

Maybe:

Practical Company Analysis

and

Analysis Techniques - to incorporate FA and TA?

Mel

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 6th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:

More accurately, it is an argument to have either both or neither; not to have one and not the other.

Nonsense - the argument you described in "If the argument to have a FA board is that there is already a TA board (and I think that has merit)" was an argument to have both boards, so the corresponding argument is to have both boards. Maybe you intended to extend it to an argument for both boards or neither, but if so, that's your failure to be accurate, not mine.

And that's all I'm going to say about that particular bit of nonsense - moving on...

Lootman wrote:And given the stated TLF preference for fewer boards, the burden of proof is on those wanting to add two new boards, with all the attendant risk of narrower definitions and more squabbles and moderation workload.

It's utterly and completely clear, if only from the fact that TLF has 69 different visible boards (and at least one invisible one, namely the Moderators board I've seen mentioned a few times) rather than just one, that "fewer boards" is not TLF's only preference! So any idea that new boards on the basis that that preference should settle the question is an extremely one-dimensional argument.

I'm not entirely certain of what all TLF's other preferences are, but I'm fairly certain they include:

1) To have boards for discussions that a reasonably large number of TLF users want - large enough to keep discussions going. That's one of the big reasons for having the HYP Practical board, for instance - it does have enough users to keep it going. One can debate why it has so many users, but that won't change the plain fact that it does have them.

2) Not to present people with a board structure that requires them to sift their way through vast numbers of threads they consider uninteresting to find the ones they consider interesting. Some such sifting will be required, of course - there's no way a board structure can be made ideal for every user. But too much will be a serious deterrent to using the boards - most users will have a point at which the signal-to-noise ratio has dropped so low that they reckon it's a waste of time even looking. For instance, of the subject matter of the five boards in the Travel Lounge, I only have any real interest in the Cycling board, and even then it's only in actually doing the cycling myself for everyday travel purposes, not in discussing the Tour de France and other cycle races. So the Cycling board is nothing like 100% of interest to me, but there's enough there (when it's actually active!) for me to find it worth my while looking through it. If on the other hand TLF were to stick all five boards together in a Travel Lounge board, there wouldn't be.

3) To discourage argumentative conflicts that have a 'cancerous' tendency to invade and take over other subjects, by saying that they are off-topic on all but some boards. I believe that's why discussions about the merits or otherwise of Brexit will generally get banished to Polite Discussions, for instance, and similarly comments about moderation are required to go to this board or the new Room 101 board, and to-HYP-or-not-to-HYP discussions are required not to go to HYP Practical (and that's the other big reason IMHO why the HYP Practical board exists). Again, one can debate why merits-or-otherwise-of-Brexit discussions, to-HYP-or-not-to-HYP discussions, etc, are so invasive - but the plain fact is that they are.

I'm less certain about one other, but I think it's reasonably consistent with what's been said and done, even though it seems to have been put into practice rather haphazardly:

4) To have a reasonably natural board for just about any investment discussion that has a reasonably defined focus. That condition about having a focus is essential to prevent this preference coming too badly into conflict with the others. For instance, suppose someone wants to discuss Aviva as a company for them to invest in, but wants that discussion to spread out into any and all of:

* any alternative shares or other securities one might invest in instead;
* any method of trying to evaluate companies from their annual reports, investments from how the market is treating them, or other evaluation techniques;
* which types of security (e.g. shares or bonds) to invest in, including stuff about the general nature of the available types;
* investment strategies, including how to choose which strategy to use and for each strategy, how to choose its investments;
* any way of investing in shares (certificates, CREST accounts, nominee accounts, CFDs, spreadbets, etc);
* any method of trying to keep track of important news relating to their investments (and just about all important news relates to investments in some way or other!);
* taxation of their investments (in any country, not just the UK);
* etc, etc, etc.

Basically, the only way to accommodate such a discussion on a single board is to have a single "Investing" board whose subject matter is basically "anything and everything to do with investing" - which does fit in with a "fewer boards" preference, but runs strongly against the other preferences, and I think it's clear from the number of boards that TLF has that that's not the way they've chosen to go!

The way they appear to have gone is basically to say that a thread must have a focus, which matches the board it is on. If its focus clearly doesn't match, it will be moved to somewhere it does; if whether it matches is rather unclear, it will generally be given the benefit of the doubt and left where it is. Users are expected to pay attention to the board that a thread is on and take care not to push the thread away from the focus with their responses; if they feel that they need to respond in such a way, the way they should do so is by posting their response on the appropriate board and putting a crosspost to that in the original thread (yes, that's a bit awkward and a bit more trouble for them - but the price of getting a set of boards that works is some extra awkwardness and work, and nobody should expect to be immune from having some of it land on them).

If the original poster wants to discuss a subject that is too broad to match any board's focus well, they need to start multiple discussions on multiple boards. In the extreme example I've given above, for instance, they would need to start discussions on:

* Share Ideas, to ask for alternative companies they might consider investing in, or for an evaluation of Aviva, in either case without restricting the ideas to particular strategies, etc;
* The FA board being proposed here (if it is created) to ask about techniques for evaluating companies based on their annual reports, etc;
* Technical Analysis to ask about techniques for evaluating investments based on how the market is treating them;
* Investment Strategies to ask about which types of security to invest in and/or the strategies they might use (though a more specific strategies board would be better if it exists and if they know enough about what type of strategy they're interested in);
* Taxes to ask about taxation issues;
* Brokers and Share Dealing to ask about some issues to do with how to hold the investments;
* Various boards in Sectors & General Shares and Managing Your Finances for some specific types of investment;
* Other Investing to ask about the things I haven't covered (unless I've missed something else that might be appropriate!).

Though hopefully someone who is that clueless about what they're after will actually go to How Do I Invest and get some help in narrowing down what aspects of the question they first want to discuss...

In practice, none of the boards preclude their subject matter being mentioned and briefly discussed on others. Nor should they, because it's often relevant (and indeed necessary) for questions that are thoroughly on-topic. So for example, a discussion of Lloyds on Share Ideas that mentions its P/E, P/TBV, gearing, etc, is discussing things that are relevant to Lloyds as a share idea, and it would also be perfectly OK to briefly give their calculation or say that one isn't giving a gearing figure because it's pretty meaningless for banks. None of that will be changed by the creation of a Fundamental Analysis board. And similarly, a post on the Fundamental Analysis board, if it is created, will be perfectly able to mention Lloyds and other companies in examples of how to go about calculating fundamental ratios, decide how significant they are, etc.

Where things go wrong is when the use of off-topic material goes beyond mentions and brief discussions, and deep-dives into more extended discussions that distract from the board's focus. If a discussion of Lloyds as a share idea on Share Ideas gets diverted into an extended "What is P/TBV and what is it good for?" discussion that mentions a lot of other companies as well, or a "What is P/TBV and what is it good for?" discussion on Fundamental Analysis that happens to use Lloyds as an example gets distracted by an "Ah, but you really have to look at all these other aspects of Lloyds as well - its 'culture', how its shares are faring on the market, etc" post into an extended discussion of Lloyds, then in both cases the thread has been 'hijacked' into the other board's territory and things need sorting out, if only because having multiple boards that in practice each cover the entire range of investment discussions without any discernable focus is even worse than having just one "Investing" board.

One other aspect of that is that certain subjects are known 'flashpoints'. For instance, even a brief allusion to what one considers to be the pros and/or cons of Brexit is quite liable to trigger heated reactions from those who take the opposite view, which are likely to trigger equally heated reactions from those who take the same view, etc. Given that sorting such things out becomes more work the more posts there are involved by the time a moderator gets to them, I think stronger countermeasures can be expected to be taken against off-topic material that ventures into such a 'flashpoint' area.

Anyway, how does all of this relate to the proposal to create a fundamental analysis board? Looking at the various preferences I've discussed above:

0) "Fewer boards" argues (somewhat weakly, given the number of boards that exist already) against creating it, or indeed any new board.

1) "To have boards for discussions that a reasonably large number of TLF users want - large enough to keep discussions going". I don't know about this one: Clariman's poll asked for views on whether the site would benefit from such a board or not, not whether people would actually use it, and it's perfectly possible that some might think that the site would benefit from it but they personally would not use it (for instance because it would give a good home for questions and answers about things they already understand and don't really want to intrude on things they are interested in), or that the site wouldn't benefit but they would use it themselves if it were nevertheless created.

2) "Not to present people with a board structure that requires them to sift their way through vast numbers of threads they consider uninteresting to find the ones they consider interesting." argues weakly in favour of creating it: some will not be interested in its subject matter and will welcome having fewer Share Ideas threads to work through.

3) "To discourage argumentative conflicts that have a 'cancerous' tendency to invade and take over other subjects" doesn't say much either for or against having a board for discussion of fundamental analysis as fat as I can see. But it does argue against the alternative of providing that board by changing Technical Analysis's name and extending its subject to include fundamental analysis. How strongly, I don't know: about 10-20 years ago, I'm certain it would have been a strong argument, and I still see rumblings of TA-vs-FA arguments on this and other websites, but I haven't seen much more than the occasional "tea leaves" comment, etc, for quite a while. So I'm certain that that it would risk triggering such renewed arguments, but not whether it would actually do so. (Edit: I see after posting that Mel just illustrated my point about such comments while I was previewing and polishing this post!)

4) "To have a reasonably natural board for just about any investment discussion that has a reasonably defined focus." argues in favour of it, as there is no reasonably natural board for discussions whose focus is one or a few similar fundamental ratios, how to determine them, what they are and aren't useful for, etc, at present.

How does this balance out? I'm uncertain, mainly because I don't know the answer about 1) above. I think that needs a poll directed at getting responses about whether and how people would use it, and that poll needs to be about a reasonably specific proposal, ideally board name (fairly succinct), subtitle (for a reminder/explanation of a bit more detail) and guidance (to make it clear what the board is for and just how it affects other boards - hopefully just providing a better home for some poorly-fitting material IMHO).

And even with the results of such a poll, my view about how it all balances out won't ultimately matter - what will resolve the question is how it, together with any other considerations they have, balance out in stooz's and Clariman's minds, not mine.

Gengulphus

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 6th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Clariman wrote:Mel/Matt suggested "Company Analysis" as the name for the requested board, which keeps it simple and quite broad.

Yes, but they also said it should have a subtitle/description (and, hence, remit) of "Analysing companies' finances and value from their accounts", which is quite specific and has been clear as being what they want right from the start.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 6th, 2018, 1:20 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Clariman wrote:Mel/Matt suggested "Company Analysis" as the name for the requested board, which keeps it simple and quite broad.

Yes, but they also said it should have a subtitle/description (and, hence, remit) of "Analysing companies' finances and value from their accounts", which is quite specific and has been clear as being what they want right from the start.

I sense your frustration.

What I'd find most helpful and woukd help bring this to a conclusion are answers to my questions ref the 3 options I posted above.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 6th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Gengulphus wrote:the argument you described in "If the argument to have a FA board is that there is already a TA board (and I think that has merit)" was an argument to have both boards, so the corresponding argument is to have both boards.

Well, it was my argument so I am the authority on what I meant by it! There is an argument to have both or neither. However I was not advocating removing the TA board since it already exists. That said, Clariman suggested merging it with FA topics and I've already indicated that might work.

Gengulphus wrote:
Lootman wrote:And given the stated TLF preference for fewer boards, the burden of proof is on those wanting to add two new boards, with all the attendant risk of narrower definitions and more squabbles and moderation workload.

It's utterly and completely clear, if only from the fact that TLF has 69 different visible boards (and at least one invisible one, namely the Moderators board I've seen mentioned a few times) rather than just one, that "fewer boards" is not TLF's only preference! So any idea that new boards on the basis that that preference should settle the question is an extremely one-dimensional argument.

It was Clariman who stated that TLF would have far fewer boards than TMF. If you think he is being "one dimensional" then I suggest that you tell him, not me.

Gengulphus wrote:I'm not entirely certain of what all TLF's other preferences are, but I'm fairly certain they include:

2) Not to present people with a board structure that requires them to sift their way through vast numbers of threads they consider uninteresting to find the ones they consider interesting. Some such sifting will be required, of course - there's no way a board structure can be made ideal for every user. But too much will be a serious deterrent to using the boards - most users will have a point at which the signal-to-noise ratio has dropped so low that they reckon it's a waste of time even looking.

We have had this debate before and all I can do is repeat the observation that I am at a loss to understand why you struggle cognitively to ignore topics that do not interest you. And I say that because I find that a trivially easy task. Presumably I use a different method of reading the site than you do, as I am certainly not going to claim that you lack that ability. But it just seems very odd to me that you cannot scan a list of topics and pick out the odd one that interests you. I do that every day with barely any conscious effort.

Having an individual topic invaded by extraneous commentary can be a burden. But a diversity of topics within a board is not a problem at all in my view. (Although a meaningful title certainly helps).

Gengulphus wrote:How does this balance out? I'm uncertain, mainly because I don't know the answer about 1) above. I think that needs a poll directed at getting responses about whether and how people would use it, and that poll needs to be about a reasonably specific proposal, ideally board name (fairly succinct), subtitle (for a reminder/explanation of a bit more detail) and guidance (to make it clear what the board is for and just how it affects other boards - hopefully just providing a better home for some poorly-fitting material IMHO).

And even with the results of such a poll, my view about how it all balances out won't ultimately matter - what will resolve the question is how it, together with any other considerations they have, balance out in stooz's and Clariman's minds, not mine.

Now here I agree. Except that I don't think we need yet another poll on board structures. The over-riding factor has to be the risk and workload for the volunteers who kindly provide this site. And if that means fewer boards with broader remits because experience tells the site sponsors that means less moderation and intervention is needed, then so be it. And if that means Lemons have to develop better sifting skills, then so be that as well. I'd be happy to teach my techniques for that not being a problem.

Moderator Message:
RS: Unnecessary last sentence removed.
Last edited by Lootman on September 6th, 2018, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » September 6th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Lootman wrote:
Clariman wrote:I like keeping this simple - that way I understand them :)

I do use TA although I am not sure I'd count myself as one of the "Tech Analysis people". However I'd personally be happier with option (1) as well. The benefit of having all discussions in one place outweighs the greater granularity of options (2) and (3). And I think the moderation workload would be lower as well.

Why would the moderation workload be lower? If anything, I can see critics of TA (who would never have any cause to go to a separate TA board) finding it irresistible to wade in when they come across analysis they fundamentally (pun intended) disagree with.

Lootman wrote:What might be useful is if people choose the topic titles carefully, perhaps making clear whether it is a TA or FA approach in the title?

Which begs the question, why have them on the same board in the first place?! If you have separate threads (TA and FA) for the analysis of a company, possibly separated by several other subjects, it's hard to see the benefit. Far simpler to post on the appropriate board without having to label your approach. Also easier for the reader to avoid stuff they're not interested in (as I'm sure some people will fail/forget to make it clear in their titles which approach they are using).

Lootman wrote:PS: Both FA and TA can be used not just for shares but also for bonds (so the analysis is of an issuer which may or may not be a company) and even on indices, commodities, funds etc. So it should be made clear if this board is only for shares, or not.

Personally, as TA is quite contentious and not a very prolifically used board here, I'd leave it as it is to get on with discussing its methods for analysing all these things and have a separate board for Company (Fundamental) Analysis, however it is to be named. There are already boards for bonds, commodities etc that would seem appropriate for discussing their "fundamentals". I don't really see how a third, more general, company analysis board could add much.

Just my humble opinion, one of many different ones I'm sure!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 6th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Clariman wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

I sense your frustration.

Err...you sense incorrectly, I'm not at all frustrated, I was just pointing out the error in your (apparent) understanding of the purpose of the board Mel/Matt have requested.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 6th, 2018, 1:32 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
Lootman wrote:PS: Both FA and TA can be used not just for shares but also for bonds (so the analysis is of an issuer which may or may not be a company) and even on indices, commodities, funds etc. So it should be made clear if this board is only for shares, or not.

Personally, as TA is quite contentious and not a very prolifically used board here, I'd leave it as it is to get on with discussing its methods for analysing all these things and have a separate board for Company (Fundamental) Analysis, however it is to be named. There are already boards for bonds, commodities etc that would seem appropriate for discussing their "fundamentals". I don't really see how a third, more general, company analysis board could add much.

I gave an example earlier. Suppose we are discussing Tesco. Various people put forward convincing arguments that it is a good candidate for purchase by using various types of FA.

But then we need to discuss at what price point to buy (and perhaps at what point we would sell). That is where TA can come into the picture, as it highlights support and resistance points.

So the question becomes whether we have to switch boards to have that second part of the discussion, and start a new topic? Or whether the conversation can just flow because both FA and TA can be discussed in the same place?

I think there may be an assumption here that FA and TA are opposites, such that you can only have one and not the other. But they can be complementary, with more value conferred if you use both rather than just one.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 6th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Please, Please,Please...

... will you stop arguing with each other and help focus on the decision that needs to be made. Having gone to considerable lengths to do my best to read and understand what everyone has written on the creation of new boards, I attempted to crystallise the issue (as I see it) into a simple set of questions/suggestions. So can you please comment, briefly if possible, how you see the following options. In particular whether you think my first choice is workable ...

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » September 6th, 2018, 1:44 pm

Clariman wrote:Please, Please,Please...

... will you stop arguing with each other and help focus on the decision that needs to be made. Having gone to considerable lengths to do my best to read and understand what everyone has written on the creation of new boards, I attempted to crystallise the issue (as I see it) into a simple set of questions/suggestions. So can you please comment, briefly if possible, how you see the following options. In particular whether you think my first choice is workable ...

IMHO options 2 and 3 will just create a new HYP Practical vs High Yield Shares and Strategies situation with endless debates about which board to post things on, so I would say it has to be option 1.

Terry.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 6th, 2018, 1:49 pm

My feelings are that a single board called"Company Analysis" would suffice, provided that the subject of a thread would start with TA if it is of the Technical Analysis genre. Then anyone who is not a devotee of point and figure or double bottoms, or whatever is warned to avoid it.

The alternative is a tree structure, with Company analysis at the head of the tree, then individual forums below that, FA, TA, tealeaves, etc, as required.

TJH

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”