Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

New for old swap?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Wizard
Lemon Quarter

New for old swap?

Postby Wizard » September 6th, 2018, 1:58 pm

There is a lot of discussion around adding new boards, I wondered if it is also worth considering a cull of the boards that generate few posts. If not deleting them then maybe looking at opportunities to combine boards. Not sure if this will make life easier for admin / mods but it would certainly reduce the length of the (potentially growing) list of boards we need to scroll through.

As an opening gambit how about looking at any board that has generated fewer than 50 topics and / or 500 posts since Lemonfool started?

Terry.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: New for old swap?

Postby tjh290633 » September 6th, 2018, 2:05 pm

As soon as you have done that, you will have a storm of protests that something valuable has been lost. Better to amalgamate boards, in my opinion.

TJH

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 6th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Yes, I think the original TLF boards were set up very quickly, of necessity, and there was perhaps never time for a thorough review. Looking at the least-used boards and opportunities for merging them with others might be useful, as TJH suggests.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 6th, 2018, 2:09 pm

Thanks Terry,

To me it's not merely a question on quantity, which a one-in one-out would sort. It is about whether new boards are, on balance, a good thing and manageable, in the context of what we already have. Although it is true that the more boards we have, the more difficult it is for new users ... even just visually.

So yes there are one or two boards that we might look to close but that can be done as a separate exercise. If they are quiet and don't cause any trouble then they aren't top of my To Do list.

I do like the idea of merging where possible, because that retains content and coverage but simplifies things.

Cheers
C

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » September 6th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Clariman wrote:I do like the idea of merging where possible, because that retains content and coverage but simplifies things. ...

I'd stick with your "If they are quiet and don't cause any trouble then they aren't top of my To Do list" in the first instance. Especially as any merging would presumably muck it up for those who've set up their Notifications specifically on the quieter boards or maybe bookmarked specific posts where, not knowing how the present phpBB® Forum Software actually works, moving may break the link, unless there's a shadow.

I'd support moving those "one or two" to Any Other Business, if really deemed necessary.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 6th, 2018, 5:09 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I'd stick with your "If they are quiet and don't cause any trouble then they aren't top of my To Do list" in the first instance. Especially as any merging would presumably muck it up for those who've set up their Notifications specifically on the quieter boards or maybe bookmarked specific posts where, not knowing how the present phpBB® Forum Software actually works, moving may break the link, unless there's a shadow.

I'd support moving those "one or two" to Any Other Business, if really deemed necessary.

Though I feel there's a small flip side to that: "Games, Puzzles and Riddles" seems to me to be a very natural fit to the "Interests - Culture, Leisure , Food and Nature" group, specifically being a leisure interest. So I'd favour moving it there from "Any Other Business".

But definitely not one for the top of the To Do list!

Gengulphus

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 6th, 2018, 6:21 pm

How would a merger between "Technical Analysis", "Games, Puzzles and Riddles" and the "Meaning of Life" work out?

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » September 7th, 2018, 12:34 pm

TUK020 wrote:How would a merger between "Technical Analysis", "Games, Puzzles and Riddles" and the "Meaning of Life" work out?

:D

I was about to point out this this policy would lead to the TA board being merged somewhere......contrary to what was just decided on the other thread.

:roll:

Mel

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 7th, 2018, 5:04 pm

TUK020 wrote:How would a merger between "Technical Analysis", "Games, Puzzles and Riddles" and the "Meaning of Life" work out?

Interestingly - for the moderators, and in the sense of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_you_l ... ting_times ... ;-)

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”