Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Re: Edinburgh Fringe 2018 - best jokes

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » August 20th, 2018, 3:48 pm

Moderator Message:
RS: These posts moved from Laughing Lemons

Itsallaguess wrote:The winner of the Edinburgh Fringe 2018 best joke award -

"Working at the Jobcentre has to be a tense job - knowing that if you get fired, you still have to come in the next day." - Adam Rowe

Other notable entries -

"I had a job drilling holes for water - it was well boring" - Leo Kearse

"I took out a loan to pay for an exorcism. If I don't pay it back, I'm going to get repossessed" - Olaf Falafel

"In my last relationship, I hated being treated like a piece of meat. She was a vegan and refused to touch me" - Daniel Audritt

"What do colour-blind people do when they are told to eat their greens?" - Flo and Joan

"I've got a new job collecting all the jumpers left in the park at the weekends, but it's not easy. They keep moving the goalposts" - Darren Walsh

"Trump said he'd build a wall but he hasn't even picked up a brick. He's just another middle-aged man failing on a DIY project" - Justin Moorhouse

"I lost a friend after we had an argument about the Tardis. I thought it was a little thing, but it seemed much bigger once we got into it" - Adele Cliff

"Why are they calling it Brexit and not The Great British Break Off?" - Alex Edelman

"I think love is like central heating. You turn it on before guests arrive and pretend it's like this all the time" - Laura Lexx

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

The standard is obviously high this year as that is a great selection of jokes, thanks.

Is there any reason why recs are not allowed on this board or should I post about this separately on the Biscuit Bar (if it hasn't been before)?

Cheers,

HYD

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 20th, 2018, 5:25 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
The standard is obviously high this year as that is a great selection of jokes, thanks.

Is there any reason why recs are not allowed on this board or should I post about this separately on the Biscuit Bar (if it hasn't been before)?

I think the 'Laughing Lemons' rec issue was a Stooz/Clariman decision, and may have something to do with the implementation of the 'Best Posts' feature under the 'Quick links' drop-down.

I *think* the idea was that they didn't want the list getting bogged down with high-rec jokes, and wanted to keep it more of a 'Best informative posts' type of list, and to be honest I find it difficult to argue with that approach, given the investment-related focus of the website.

Glad you enjoyed the jokes though HYD - I do try to keep an eye out for some of the Fringe 'best-of' lists when they pop up around this time of year.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 20th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:...
With you all the way on this. I too think it should be implemented in such a way that it leaves the Best Of lists unaffected (I used to use the recs on JC heavily).

Another thing is that the Forum rules were a knee-jerk reaction to a nasty poster. They have largely killed this board. Personally I think the rules should have been "No nasty posts" and it left to the discretion of whoever moderates this place to decide the nastiness.

Anyway, as you say, probably more suited to BB.

Regards,
Chris

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

To rec or not to rec . . .

Postby Howyoudoin » August 20th, 2018, 11:14 pm

I'm new to these parts so please indulge me for a moment.

I asked a simple question on Laughing Lemons earlier, "Why am I not allowed to rec a post on here?' viewtopic.php?f=64&t=13248

As you can see, Itsallaguess kindly replied, 'I *think* the idea was that they didn't want the list getting bogged down with high-rec jokes, and wanted to keep it more of a 'Best informative posts' type of list, and to be honest I find it difficult to argue with that approach, given the investment-related focus of the website.'

Fair enough it would seem? But then, if we look above this post, you can see that this is the 'Lemon Lounge', which consists of four sub-boards, being this board Biscuit Bar, Beerpigs Snug, Lemon Socials and finally Laughing Lemons.

The first three of those four boards are 'reccable' with only Laughing Lemons being left out for some strange reason, despite none of these boards being to do with 'UK shares, Personal Finance and Investment' as per the tagline in the header above.

A quick look at other boards would suggest that there are many other examples the same i.e. The Sports Bar, Food, Drink, Music, TV, Theatre and Film are all reccable. None of them are to do with ''UK shares, Personal Finance and Investment'.

So, i'm a bit confused. Is it just jokes that are persona non grata?

HYD

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: To rec or not to rec . . .

Postby Gengulphus » August 20th, 2018, 11:40 pm

I think it's just jokes that are likely to be highly-thanked.

Gengulphus

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 21st, 2018, 9:01 am

Polite Discussions is also an "no rec" area.

John

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » August 21st, 2018, 9:28 am

redsturgeon wrote:Polite Discussions is also an "no rec" area.

John

I totally get that decision! The place is a disaster zone.

Jokes? Not so much.

HYD

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 21st, 2018, 9:33 am

Gengulphus wrote:I think it's just jokes that are likely to be highly-thanked.

Gengulphus

That phrasing made me double-take.

I read it as if it said "it's just jokes that are likely to be highly thanked that can't be, for the rubbish ones it's fine" :)

I have no idea why the decision was made, can't recall any discussion about it. I've asked before and not had an answer. Not that I mind particularly though.

Mel

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”