Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Over moderated...Again!

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Re: Over moderated...Again!

Postby MDW1954 » August 23rd, 2018, 6:04 pm

idpickering wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:

With respect Ian, HYPers are simply attempting to discuss the Practicalities of running an HYP. It is the interruptions from non-HYPers which causes most, if not all, board problems.

Ian

Thank you Ian. You are of course correct. Like you, and many others, I just want to get on with my HYPing, it is other naysayers etc that rock what should be a calm recluse for us HYPers. I humbly rec your post.

Ian.

And yet you still think that closing the HYP board down would "serve us all right". And you ask why I'm surprised! I, for one, would very much mourn the demise of the board. Not that anyone is contemplating it, I'm happy to report.

MDW1954

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 23rd, 2018, 7:15 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
And yet you still think that closing the HYP board down would "serve us all right". And you ask why I'm surprised! I, for one, would very much mourn the demise of the board. Not that anyone is contemplating it, I'm happy to report.

MDW1954

Hello MDW1954, with respect sir, that is not what I meant. I was referring to the fact that it would serve the naysayers right, not us all. If I caused you or anyone else any angst then I apologise.

As for The HYP Practical Board, I'm glad that it appears to be safe because if it were to be removed I would be devastated, and that would be me done here at The Lemon Fool.

Ian.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » August 23rd, 2018, 8:00 pm

idpickering wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:

MDW1954

Hello MDW1954, with respect sir, that is not what I meant. I was referring to the fact that it would serve the naysayers right, not us all. If I caused you or anyone else any angst then I apologise.

As for The HYP Practical Board, I'm glad that it appears to be safe because if it were to be removed I would be devastated, and that would be me done here at The Lemon Fool.

Ian.

Ian,

This wasn't about an apology; no need to apologise. I just didn't understand why a HYP stalwart would take such a stance about the closure of a board that (like you) I have followed for many, many years.

To (very loosely) paraphrase Apollo 13, I think it's one of our greatest assets.**

MDW1954

**= I sometimes get confused between the (much read) book, and the (much watched) film. It was in one of them, anyway.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » August 23rd, 2018, 11:14 pm

melonfool wrote:Lastly, I felt it was a bit mean to post on the Legal board and be quite so nasty about lawyers, especially *after* one (or maybe even two, not sure) had posted on the thread with some useful assistance. And when they post there regularly.

Just to make it clear that speaking for myself I have absolutely no problem with people criticising - or even being nasty about - lawyers as a species. In fact it's almost a grand old English tradition, one of the few Shakespeare quotes that most people can come up with is "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers!"

So being part of a generally disliked profession goes with the territory, and the vast majority of lawyers I know find it rather amusing. Indeed, it's almost a badge of honour for some! I think the reason it doesn't bother us is that the clients we meet on an everyday basis actually appreciate what we do for them, so as individuals we always assume that such criticism must be directed at other lawyers, many of whom we detest ourselves!

I know of no lawyer who would feel hurt or upset by a comment about lawyers in general, and while I always try to steer clear of moderation debates simply because I support the mods' thankless efforts I don't think I or any other professional person needs protection from generalised comments like those made by beeswax. I certainly didn't feel that he was aiming any criticism at me specifically, but even if he had been I'd rather he was allowed to do so in order that I can, if I think it worth the effort, defend myself.

I fully appreciate the difficulty of where to draw the line, and it's an unfortunate by-product of putting a lot of intelligent and educated people together that they will all have different - and quite strongly held - views as to where it should be drawn. But I would personally take the view that there should only be intervention where (1) someone feels upset enough to report a post; and (2) that report is considered justified on objective grounds - i.e. not just because the reporter is peculiarly sensitive.

Finally, I should confess that this post is self-serving to some extent, as I `dissed' the entire profession of financial advisers recently (viewtopic.php?p=161127#p161127) so I'm getting my defence in first! ;)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 24th, 2018, 6:07 am

MDW1954 wrote:

Ian,

This wasn't about an apology; no need to apologise. I just didn't understand why a HYP stalwart would take such a stance about the closure of a board that (like you) I have followed for many, many years.

To (very loosely) paraphrase Apollo 13, I think it's one of our greatest assets.**

MDW1954

Thank you for your post MDW1954. Yes, you and I, along with a few others still with us, have been following, and contributing to, the HYP Practical board for what seems like forever, what is it now, twenty years? It's a fine place to be, with many gifted posters, and long may that continue.

All the best.

Ian.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 24th, 2018, 9:55 am

beeswax wrote:I do apologise for using the expression that 'Mods are gnats' that should be brushed away' and it was sort of tongue in cheek and was going to add a smiley actually but the fact is that RedSturgeon jumped straight in with a suspension ...

Didn't you consider the possibility that RedSturgeon was replying in kind?

Gengulphus

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 24th, 2018, 10:03 am

i cannot now post anything containing the slightest whiff of criticism on the hyp practical board .

its clear that its a total no go zone for critical appraisal .

my concern is for the newcomers and inexperienced investors who may be seduced by the cosy rose tinted spectacle view presented to them , of what is just a narrow stock screen , will they understand the risk?

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » August 24th, 2018, 10:07 am

Clitheroekid wrote:So being part of a generally disliked profession goes with the territory, and the vast majority of lawyers I know find it rather amusing. Indeed, it's almost a badge of honour for some! I think the reason it doesn't bother us is that the clients we meet on an everyday basis actually appreciate what we do for them, so as individuals we always assume that such criticism must be directed at other lawyers, many of whom we detest ourselves!

Finally, I should confess that this post is self-serving to some extent, as I `dissed' the entire profession of financial advisers recently (viewtopic.php?p=161127#p161127) so I'm getting my defence in first! ;)

A lawyer, a financial advisor, and an estate agent wander into a bar.............

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 24th, 2018, 10:17 am

jackdaww wrote:i cannot now post anything containing the slightest whiff of criticism on the hyp practical board .

my concern is for the newcomers and inexperienced investors who may be seduced by the cosy rose tinted spectacle view presented to them , of what is just a narrow stock screen , will they understand the risk?

That is correct, the people who follow HYP do not want critical appraisal of their preferred method on that board and the rules also do not allow for it.

Feel free to post it on HYS&S though.

I'm sure you feel you are helping people see the light, but if you could just leave them alone it would be better for everyone - well, mostly me, to be honest.

Let other people worry about newcomers, though your posts did not portray this as your primary concern to be honest. If they post I am sure they will be carefully guided by the board users.

Mel

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 24th, 2018, 11:07 am

melonfool wrote:That is correct, the people who follow HYP do not want critical appraisal of their preferred method on that board and the rules also do not allow for it.

Rather sums it up really. HYP has become a sacred cow, rather than a plausible method amongst others of stock selection for long term buy and hold. Perhaps it always was, given the TMF writer who devised it could be somewhat dogmatic.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 24th, 2018, 11:12 am

Alaric wrote:
melonfool wrote:That is correct, the people who follow HYP do not want critical appraisal of their preferred method on that board and the rules also do not allow for it.

Rather sums it up really. HYP has become a sacred cow, rather than a plausible method amongst others of stock selection for long term buy and hold. Perhaps it always was, given the TMF writer who devised it could be somewhat dogmatic.

And yet it doesn't matter how many times I sum this up and people concur (whether with gladness or horror) - they still go and post there about different things and then complain when their posts get deleted. :?

Mel

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 24th, 2018, 11:36 am

melonfool wrote:
That is correct, the people who follow HYP do not want critical appraisal of their preferred method on that board and the rules also do not allow for it.

I'm sure you feel you are helping people see the light, but if you could just leave them alone it would be better for everyone - well, mostly me, to be honest.

Let other people worry about newcomers, though your posts did not portray this as your primary concern to be honest. If they post I am sure they will be carefully guided by the board users.

Mel

Thank you very much for your post, and efforts, Mel. Hopefully that will settle things down on that board.

Ian.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » August 24th, 2018, 1:48 pm

idpickering wrote:Hopefully that will settle things down on that board.

And hopefully Brexit will be plain sailing! ;)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 24th, 2018, 1:54 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
idpickering wrote:Hopefully that will settle things down on that board.

And hopefully Brexit will be plain sailing! ;)

Ha! Here's hoping Clitheroekid. Like you I feel, I somehow doubt it. ;)

Ian.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » August 24th, 2018, 1:59 pm

idpickering wrote:
melonfool wrote:

Mel

Thank you very much for your post, and efforts, Mel. Hopefully that will settle things down on that board.

Ian.

I think that we all like to recieve "feedback" on HYP (otherwise why post) both positive and negative. We may have missed something that others have picked up on, the "shorting of shares" is one that springs to mind. It is always "nice" to receive postive encouragment, of course, but I have and I believe a few others have had a change of mind after -ve replies. The problem is when a poster "c***s on what you say" but gives no insight why and no logical reason to even post. For instance, posts that say "I do not hold any of them", your point being? Why do you not hold any of them! Another is "your porfolio contains everytihng in IT XXX so why not buy XXX", I am sure that thought has passed a few of us at some point, but we have chosen (right or wrong) to "manage" our own HYP.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I will go back to lurking again.

Raptor.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 24th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Raptor wrote:
The problem is when a poster "c***s on what you say" but gives no insight why and no logical reason to even post.

For instance, posts that say "I do not hold any of them", your point being? Why do you not hold any of them!

To be fair Raptor, I think the same can be true of some perhaps more 'positive-looking' posts too....

If someone pops up with a 'I think that's a great choice - I hold it too' post, what does that type of post really add in terms of 'insight'?

If there's a good reason to hold such a share, then fine, let's hear about it, but does telling someone that 'we own it too', without any further reasons behind that decision, really get anybody any further forward?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » August 24th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Raptor wrote:
The problem is when a poster "c***s on what you say" but gives no insight why and no logical reason to even post.

For instance, posts that say "I do not hold any of them", your point being? Why do you not hold any of them!

To be fair Raptor, I think the same can be true of some perhaps more 'positive-looking' posts too....

If someone pops up with a 'I think that's a great choice - I hold it too' post, what does that type of post really add in terms of 'insight'?

If there's a good reason to hold such a share, then fine, let's hear about it, but does telling someone that 'we own it too', without any further reasons behind that decision, really get anybody any further forward?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Yes, I agree. Should have added that too. I suppose it did not cross my mind at the time as we all like to have positive reinforcement of our choices. :D

I think the example you quote though would better be served with a "rec" if you feel you need to add something?

Raptor.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 24th, 2018, 2:42 pm

melonfool wrote:
jackdaww wrote:i cannot now post anything containing the slightest whiff of criticism on the hyp practical board .

yes , i know i can post there , but will it be read ?

Let other people worry about newcomers, though your posts did not portray this as your primary concern to be honest.

which other people ? not posters obviously . mods ?

NB. it is in fact my main concern , i am not a troll as has been said (pyad)

If they post I am sure they will be carefully guided by the board users.

HYP board users who reject criticism are hardly likely to point out HYP drawbacks themselves ?

Mel

=============================

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: HYP discussion ... Again!

Postby PinkDalek » August 24th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Daring to pop my head over the parapet, again, but shouldn't these HYP discussions be in a separate Topic, again?

Not that I'm disagreeing or agreeing with what is being said but the more recent replies don't appear to have much to do with the OP's post, which was primarily about Legal Issues (Practical), where there is no board specific "Guidance" and therefore would be guided by the general TLF "Rules".

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 24th, 2018, 2:47 pm

jackdaww wrote:yes , i know i can post there , but will it be read ?

I read both fwiiw.

I'm sure the suggestion has been made many a time but one can always cross-post to a post at High Yield Shares & Strategies - general, such that the High Yield Portfolios (HYP) - Practical users can see it exists.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”