Discussions on Moderation are only permitted on the new Room 101 board viewforum.php?f=91. Any discussion of moderation elsewhere is no longer permitted and will be deleted, including in the Biscuit Bar. However, Room 101 is not to be used for General Moderation Discussions. See below for more information.
The LemonFool could not function without the generous support of its small band of volunteer moderators. Their efforts provide an environment where users can discuss a wide variety of financial and other topics, in a largely polite, spam-free and troll-free environment. The quality of discussion here is high and that is the way we wish to keep it for the benefit of all users.
We accept that we may not get moderation decisions right 100% of the time and that some users get upset if their post have been deleted or edited. For this reason, we have allowed some discussion of moderation on the Biscuit Bar - and Moderators are often prepared to enter into that discussion. However, the level of criticism of moderation as a whole, and of specific moderators, has been out of order. Therefore these revised rules and guidelines come into immediate effect.
Individual moderation decisions
- If you are unhappy with or don’t understand an individual moderation decision, you can request a clarification or explanation from a Moderator by Private Message. Moderators do not have to explain their actions, but we anticipate that they will reply to polite requests, if and when they have time. Impolite messages will be ignored.
- Moderators will NOT enter into debates with you about moderation. You will receive one explanation or clarification.
- If you are unhappy with the answer, take a step back. Do not take the decisions personally and remember that moderators are volunteers who are doing their best to maintain the site for your and everyone else’s benefit. They will not get it right every time. Forgive or forget -and then move on.
- If you are still unhappy, then you have one route and one route only to take it further. You can post your issue on the new “Room 101” board which will be managed by the site’s 3 Administrators – Stooz (co-owner), Clariman (co-owner) and Redsturgeon (Moderator). They will monitor the board and respond appropriately – either on the board or by PM. Again, there is no intention to engage in lengthy debates.
- “Room 101” may also be used when an argument between 2 or more posters is acting as a distraction on a board. The moderators may request that the discussion be moved to Room 101. For those who knew The Motley Fool website, it would be akin to their Civil Discussion Forum.
Discussion on the scope of an individual board
- If you have a sensible question or suggestion about the scope of an individual board, then you can open a discussion about it on the board in question (provided the board-specific rules allow for such discussion*) or you can post about it in the Biscuit Bar.
- Discussing it on the individual board will allow you to discuss it amongst fellow users of that board and is a good way of trying to achieve a consensus. However, if the discussion is becoming a distraction from the board's day to day use, then a Moderator may move the discussion to the Biscuit Bar. If the discussion becomes impolite or off-topic it will be locked by a moderator.
- *for the avoidance of doubt, no scope discussion is permitted on HYP-Practical. That may only be discussed on the Biscuit Bar
General Discussions on Moderation
- If you wish to discuss the nature of Moderation in general (or actions of an individual Moderator), then send a PM to Stooz and Clariman who will take note of what you say. They may discuss it with the other Moderator(s) and will make a decision whether to take any action.
- There is no board for general moderation discussions
- We understand that moderation decisions can upset some people, but it is imperative that any issues are raised politely and by using the routes listed above.
- Room 101 is NOT intended to be used for general moderation discussions. It is for specific moderation decisions which you want to escalate AFTER having first raised privately with the Moderator involved. General moderation discussions in Room 101 will be removed or locked.
- In addition to the above, Moderators and Admin will be taking a more robust approach to users who repeatedly break the site rules.
Thanks for your support and understanding
Clariman & Stooz