Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

"Company Analysis" Board created - some re-ordering of boards

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

"Company Analysis" Board created - some re-ordering of boards

Postby Clariman » September 7th, 2018, 4:55 pm

The "Company Analysis" board has been created. However, it is temporarily in the Lemon Aid Group viewforum.php?f=93 . I will get Stooz to move it as he has permissions to add boards in the Investment Group and I don't. Feel free to start using it. Edit; 18.30 Stooz has now moved it to the right place

Weirdly I can reorder the boards in the Investment Group so have carried out some of the suggestions. It is just a quick fix, so don't get upset if things are not where you want them to be.

Clariman

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Re: "Company Analysis" Board created - some re-ordering of boards

Postby modellingman » September 7th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Clariman wrote:Weirdly I can reorder the boards in the Investment Group so have carried out some of the suggestions. It is just a quick fix, so don't get upset if things are not where you want them to be.

Does that re-ordering extend to moving "Legal Issues (Practical)" from "Lemon-Aid" to "Investor's Roundtable"?

Not upset but it does seem a curious move. Was it intentional?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » September 7th, 2018, 8:37 pm

… and below Other Investing.

I've often thought Legal Issues (Practical) and Taxes should in the same section (Lemon-Aid or Managing Your Finances) but, in any event, some consistency would be good in naming generally:

Legal Issues (Practical) - perhaps change to Legal Issues - Practical

Taxes- perhaps change to Taxes - Practical

They'd both then be more consistent with Pensions - Practical Problems and High Yield Portfolios (HYP) - Practical.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 7th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Legal has been moved in error. It is on its way back to lemon aid.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » September 8th, 2018, 10:19 am

Many thanks to Clariman for getting the board up and running so soon.

And of course thanks to everyone else, who helped in the debate leading to it's formation.

And I'll start posting to it soon!

thanks Matt and Mel

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 8th, 2018, 11:05 am

From memory, it was suggested at some point in the previous thread that some of the current threads on Share Ideas that are primarily about general techniques for analysing companies from their accounts could be moved to the new board. This seems a good idea to me, both to make them more easily findable in future and to help set the tone for the new board - seeing some existing thread titles may well help people see whether something they're thinking of posting should go there or elsewhere. So I've done a quick skim of the first few pages of thread titles on Share Ideas for ones that look particularly suitable for the new board, and spotted the following six (and also done a quick skim of each of those six to check that it doesn't contradict the impression given by its title):

Price to Book value and Next (NXT) shares
Free cash flow, it's applications and how they are calculated
Learning about capital-based debt measurement techniques
Calculation of Capital Employed from published balance sheets
Opinions on using Return on Equity as a company valuation parameter
Interest cover and possibly other questions about company valuation parameters

So I would suggest moving those six threads from Share Ideas to Company Analysis.

Note I'm not claiming to have done a thorough scan of Share Ideas for threads more suitable for Company Analysis - there might well be more. Nor have I looked elsewhere on the site (e.g. Other Investing) for such threads. So others here may well know of more...

Gengulphus

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » September 8th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Gengulphus wrote:So I would suggest moving those six threads from Share Ideas to Company Analysis.

I doubt anyone would disagree but it would probably assist the Mods concerned if those threads were individually reported, with the reason, which I'll do if you haven't already done so or don't have the time.

Here's another couple at Investment Strategies, which might fit the bill (I've only glanced at 2018 Subject headers).

Analysis of Balance Sheets

Balance sheet question - Derivative financial instruments

I've reported those two.

I can't see anything obviously relevant at Other Investing.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 8th, 2018, 12:59 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:So I would suggest moving those six threads from Share Ideas to Company Analysis.

I doubt anyone would disagree but it would probably assist the Mods concerned if those threads were individually reported, with the reason, which I'll do if you haven't already done so or don't have the time.

I thought of doing it that way, but didn't because I felt that it needed a joint decision for all of them, and separate reports might lead to varying decisions being made if the reports happened to be dealt with by different moderators. It was a close call, though, so I'm not criticising your decision - and feel free to report the threads I've identified for moving.

Gengulphus

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 8th, 2018, 1:37 pm

I saw the reports, but decided to leave the removal job to others, as my efforts on a mobile phone have met with mixed success.

They obviously are right to be moved to the new forum.

TJH

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » September 8th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

I thought of doing it that way, but didn't because I felt that it needed a joint decision for all of them, and separate reports might lead to varying decisions being made if the reports happened to be dealt with by different moderators. It was a close call, though, so I'm not criticising your decision - and feel free to report the threads I've identified for moving.

Gengulphus
Done. Thanks for the heads up.
Chris

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » September 8th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Many thanks this time for remembering to move some of the earlier threads that we created into this new board. This is great.

I also agree that this one Analysis of Balance Sheets created by Alaric should be moved.

I checked through our earlier topics we created, and I think that the only remaining one that should be moved is this Balance sheet question - Derivative financial instruments.

thanks again,
M&M

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 9th, 2018, 8:54 am

PinkDalek wrote:… and below Other Investing.

I've often thought Legal Issues (Practical) and Taxes should in the same section (Lemon-Aid or Managing Your Finances) but, in any event, some consistency would be good in naming generally:

They'd both then be more consistent with Pensions - Practical Problems and High Yield Portfolios (HYP) - Practical.

We are having a look at some wider board restructuring and tidying up. I don't understand why adding the word "practical" is an important change to those 2 boards. In fact I don't understand why the Pensions board has the word "practical" or "problems" in its title. Why not just "pensions"?

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » September 9th, 2018, 9:45 am

Clariman wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:… and below Other Investing.

We are having a look at some wider board restructuring and tidying up. I don't understand why adding the word "practical" is an important change to those 2 boards. In fact I don't understand why the Pensions board has the word "practical" or "problems" in its title. Why not just "pensions"?

I always thought the same Clariman. It is one of the forums I follow regularly was a big help when the "new" drawdown rules came into force.

Keep up the good work.

Raptor.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 9th, 2018, 9:47 am

Clariman wrote:We are having a look at some wider board restructuring and tidying up. I don't understand why adding the word "practical" is an important change to those 2 boards. In fact I don't understand why the Pensions board has the word "practical" or "problems" in its title. Why not just "pensions"?

Because whoever created it just carried over the name from TMF, where there was a Pensions – Practical Problems board and a Pensions – Motivation and Policy board without thinking that if there's only one then the suffix is pointless. https://web.archive.org/web/20170717073 ... -a-to-z/#p
Last edited by mc2fool on September 9th, 2018, 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » September 9th, 2018, 9:53 am

I think there is a reluctance to encourage discussion of macro and wider govt policy on those boards as, essentially, that could become a political debate and, as we know, those can be unpleasant and need extra rules which is why we have "Polite Discussions".

Also, trying to avoid theoretical situations as they just go round in circles.

I think something to discourage this is useful, but whether adding 'practical' is the answer, I'm not sure.

Mel

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 9th, 2018, 9:54 am

mc2fool wrote:
Clariman wrote:We are having a look at some wider board restructuring and tidying up. I don't understand why adding the word "practical" is an important change to those 2 boards. In fact I don't understand why the Pensions board has the word "practical" or "problems" in its title. Why not just "pensions"?

Because whoever created it just carried over the name from TMF, where there was a Pensions – Practical Problems board and a Pensions – Motivation and Policy board without thinking that if there's only one then the suffix is pointless. https://web.archive.org/web/20170717073 ... -a-to-z/#p

There were other "matching" pairs of boards on TMF as well, including for taxes and legal matters. So there would be a "Practical" board and then a "Strategies" or "Theory" or "Policies" board as well, for each subject.

At TLF those pairs of boards were effectively merged (except for HYP) and yet only one of the titles was carried over. So I'd support removing the suffices and just having "Legal", "Taxes", "Pensions" and so on.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 9th, 2018, 10:02 am

FredBloggs wrote:I find the new board ordering much better. Thank you.

There may be more changes to come :o

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 9th, 2018, 10:04 am

BTW, if you're looking at board names you might consider renaming what is currently:

Investment and Unit Trusts
Closed-end funds and OEICs

which is a bit of a hotchpotch between name and description. I'd suggest...

Investment Trusts, OEICs and Unit Trusts
Closed and Open ended funds

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 9th, 2018, 10:15 am

mc2fool wrote:BTW, if you're looking at board names you might consider renaming what is currently:

Investment and Unit Trusts
Closed-end funds and OEICs

which is a bit of a hotchpotch between name and description. I'd suggest...

Investment Trusts, OEICs and Unit Trusts
Closed and Open ended funds

The one area to be careful of there is that discussion of some types of funds should be elsewhere. I am referring to index funds and ETFs, which should be discussed on the Passive Investing board. There is also a separate board for REITs.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » September 9th, 2018, 10:19 am

Lootman wrote:So I'd support removing the suffices and just having "Legal", "Taxes", "Pensions" and so on.

Then one would need to amend the sub-titles for Taxes, which presently states Practical Issues.

I know you and I will never agree on what should be on-topic on the "professional" boards but, in my view, many of the topic where individuals are seeking practical advice too often soon get side-tracked into wider aspects of, say, the iniquity of taxation generally and the OP may well lose interest before they've even had the replies they seek.

Other than that, I didn't say the changes were "important" (Clariman's reply). I was merely suggesting some consistency but I agree, mostly, with what melonfool has said.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”