Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Private messages

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Private messages

Postby Bouleversee » September 12th, 2018, 11:29 am

Is there any way of signing up for alerts that a private message has been received? If one doesn't visit the site frequently or doesn't look at the p.m. box at the top of the page, it's easy to miss them and a sender cannot know whether a message has been missed or simply not read out of choice.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Private messages

Postby kiloran » September 12th, 2018, 11:36 am

User Control Panel
Board Preferences
Edit Notification Options
Someone sends you a Private Message

--kiloran

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 12th, 2018, 11:59 am

Thanks, Kiloran. Have now done that. However, unless everyone does, there's no guarantee that our PMs will be seen.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 12th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Thanks, Kiloran. Have now done that. However, unless everyone does, there's no guarantee that our PMs will be seen.

There's no guarantee that they would be seen even if everyone were to do that! And at least in my case, I receive quite a lot more notifications than private messages - only about 1 private message per week since TLF started, while I'd guess that notifications might be running at around 5 per day. If I had to stay away from TLF for a couple of months, I would probably reckon that life was too short and simply mark all the hundred or two notifications as read without actually reading them, but the handful or two of private messages wouldn't get such cavalier treatment!

In short, the "[1]" after "Private messages" near the top right of TLF's pages does a better job of telling me about private messages than a notification would. Not saying that the same would be true for others - people's browsing habits vary, as does what attracts their attention - but as far as I am concerned, notifications for private messages would imply be extra clutter in my list of notifications...

Gengulphus

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 12th, 2018, 4:23 pm

I find it easier to keep an eye on the TLF tab in my Firefox browser (Windows 10).....

If I get a notification or a private-message, as well as the [0] next to the relevant notification / private-message section to the left of my user-name changing to a [1], at the top-right of the TLF web-page itself, the Firefox tab header-name will also change from -

The Lemon Fool

to

(1) The Lemon Fool

that's been the most visible marker for me personally, but as no-one's mentioned the browser tab-name changing yet, I thought I'd see if this is the case for other browsers and operating systems too?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 12th, 2018, 4:28 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:Thanks, Kiloran. Have now done that. However, unless everyone does, there's no guarantee that our PMs will be seen.

There's no guarantee that they would be seen even if everyone were to do that! And at least in my case, I receive quite a lot more notifications than private messages - only about 1 private message per week since TLF started, while I'd guess that notifications might be running at around 5 per day. If I had to stay away from TLF for a couple of months, I would probably reckon that life was too short and simply mark all the hundred or two notifications as read without actually reading them, but the handful or two of private messages wouldn't get such cavalier treatment!

In short, the "[1]" after "Private messages" near the top right of TLF's pages does a better job of telling me about private messages than a notification would. Not saying that the same would be true for others - people's browsing habits vary, as does what attracts their attention - but as far as I am concerned, notifications for private messages would imply be extra clutter in my list of notifications...

Gengulphus

I don't quite follow that as the email I had from TLF today indicated that there was a private message, not just any old notification, which was very helpful as I wasn't browsing the site.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » September 12th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I find it easier to keep an eye on the TLF tab in my Firefox browser (Windows 10).....

If I get a notification or a private-message, as well as the [0] next to the relevant notification / private-message section to the left of my user-name changing to a [1], at the top-right of the TLF web-page itself, the Firefox tab header-name will also change from -

The Lemon Fool

to

(1) The Lemon Fool

that's been the most visible marker for me personally, but as no-one's mentioned the browser tab-name changing yet, I thought I'd see if this is the case for other browsers and operating systems too?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

The (1) notification in the tab name works in Edge (Windows 10 obvs!) as well.

What I find most useful, and this works in Edge (but not Firefox) is that, when you backspace to the thread list from a thread you've been reading, the list will have auto-updated. In Firefox, you have to manually refresh the tab to see what's changed since you left the list.

HTH,

Watis

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 12th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:

I don't quite follow that as the email I had from TLF today indicated that there was a private message, not just any old notification, which was very helpful as I wasn't browsing the site.

The difference is that I have not got TLF set to send me any emails (*) - I just have a "Lemon Fool" item on my Favourites bar, that I click when I want to browse TLF (and don't when I don't). Basically, emails interrupt other activities of mine more than I want TLF to...

(*) Apart from the "Your topics/posts are approved or disapproved by a moderator" ones, which AFAIAA TLF simply doesn't use - I've certainly never received either a notification or an email of that type. And they're only still enabled because I tend not to disable things unless I'm pretty certain that I don't want them and would want to see such an email before I decided that...

Gengulphus

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 12th, 2018, 8:15 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I find it easier to keep an eye on the TLF tab in my Firefox browser (Windows 10).....

The Lemon Fool

to

(1) The Lemon Fool

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Is that what the numbers mean. You learn something every day.

TJH

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”