Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to richill,monabri,Dod101,Anonymous,Gersemi, for Donating to support the site

Supporting The Lemon Fool - Donations (versus Adverts)

Pull up a chair, have a biscuit - discuss the site and general questions about the LemonFool
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Supporting The Lemon Fool - Donations (versus Adverts)

Postby Clariman » September 23rd, 2018, 8:08 am

The Lemon Fool is, and will remain, free to use. However, there are costs and time involved in running the site. These costs are met by a combination of adverts and donations. You can make donations at any time by clicking on the Donations button at the top or clicking here app.php/donate

If you donate £20 or more, we treat that as a Voluntary Annual Subscription. In return you will no longer see site adverts for a period of 12 months. We introduced this in July 2017, so those of you who subscribed then have had 14 months ad-free. You may have noticed ads reappearing in the last few days. We do hope that you choose to renew your Voluntary Subscription by donating again.

Many thanks to all of you who support The Lemon Fool in this way.

Clariman and Stooz

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Supporting The Lemon Fool - Donations (versus Adverts)

Postby Clariman » September 25th, 2018, 9:17 am

Many thanks to those of you who have donated. One additional benefit that I forgot to mention, is that those who donate £20 or more also get an increased Private Message mailbox capacity of 100 messages - in addition to the removal of Ads.

Thanks

floyd3592

Postby floyd3592 » September 25th, 2018, 11:31 am

Crikey, the combined knowledge of the posters in this community combined with the unbiased information and advice they give makes this £20 an infinitesimal sum compared to the massive potential benefits. Talk about value for money!

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice

Postby Howyoudoin » September 25th, 2018, 4:29 pm

floyd3592 wrote:Crikey, the combined knowledge of the posters in this community combined with the unbiased information and advice they give makes this £20 an infinitesimal sum compared to the massive potential benefits. Talk about value for money!

I thought having multiple accounts/aliases was frowned upon Clariman/Stooze?

:lol:

HYD

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 25th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
floyd3592 wrote:Crikey, the combined knowledge of the posters in this community combined with the unbiased information and advice they give makes this £20 an infinitesimal sum compared to the massive potential benefits. Talk about value for money!

HYD

You have to donate £20,000 before you qualify for the multiple accounts option :) ;)

NehaSharma

Postby NehaSharma » September 26th, 2018, 8:17 am

I am new to this forum and just read this. So I want to ask you is that necessary to donate 20 Euro?

chas49
Lemon Slice

Postby chas49 » September 26th, 2018, 8:52 am

NehaSharma wrote:I am new to this forum and just read this. So I want to ask you is that necessary to donate 20 Euro?

Welcome to the forum. As explained in the first post in this thread, donations are voluntary, but very welcome too! Just in case you want to remove ads, the donation amount to make would be £20 (20GBP)

floyd3592

Postby floyd3592 » September 26th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Clariman wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:

HYD

You have to donate £20,000 before you qualify for the multiple accounts option :) ;)

Ha ha I can confirm have absolutely nowt to do with Clariman.

You did say my cheque was in the post though, didn't ya Clari?!!!

bruncher
Lemon Slice

Postby bruncher » December 13th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Are donations only possible through paypal?

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter

Postby PinkDalek » December 14th, 2018, 3:29 am

bruncher wrote:Are donations only possible through paypal?

The payments would appear to be made via PayPal but you don't need a PayPal account, as you can Donate with a debit or credit card without setting one up.

staffordian
Lemon Slice

Postby staffordian » August 7th, 2019, 9:33 am

Is there a way of checking when donations, and their effect on adverts on the site expire?

I last donated in September 2018 but have just started seeing adverts again, but can't find anywhere on the site to confirm the date ranges for which donations apply.

Thanks

Staffordian

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter

Postby PinkDalek » August 7th, 2019, 9:42 am

Not an answer to your question but the 'new' ads you are seeing appear to be internal only - leading to:

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/ and https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/donate

I would imagine we'll be hearing from Clariman within a couple of months, as to when the next batch of Donations would be welcome. The OP in this Topic being dated 23 September 2018.

staffordian
Lemon Slice

Postby staffordian » August 7th, 2019, 10:34 am

Thanks PD, yes they were internal, but the ad also had a list of five users who had donated to the site, which made me wonder if it was some sort of hint that it was time for another round.

Strangely, the ad has now gone again.

Edit no, it's back again now.

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter

Postby PinkDalek » August 7th, 2019, 10:45 am

staffordian wrote:Thanks PD, yes they were internal, but the ad also had a list of five users who had donated to the site, which made me wonder if it was some sort of hint that it was time for another round.

Yes, I initially thought the same but it also would encourage those who've yet to Donate (and don't engage blockers) to think again. I also wondered if those five have been asked if it is okay to name them.

Strangely, the ad has now gone again...

I can still see them but the internal Ads vary per board.

Some show Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators only.

Others Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators
Thanks to
[redacted] for Donating to support the site

When I say internal, as you know, I mean visible to those who've donated. They are also visible to those who see external ads in addition.

yorkshirelad1
2 Lemon pips

Postby yorkshirelad1 » August 7th, 2019, 11:55 am

Clariman wrote:The Lemon Fool is, and will remain, free to use. However, there are costs and time involved in running the site. These costs are met by a combination of adverts and donations. You can make donations at any time by clicking on the Donations button at the top or clicking here app.php/donate

If you donate £20 or more, we treat that as a Voluntary Annual Subscription. In return you will no longer see site adverts for a period of 12 months. We introduced this in July 2017, so those of you who subscribed then have had 14 months ad-free. You may have noticed ads reappearing in the last few days. We do hope that you choose to renew your Voluntary Subscription by donating again.

Clariman and Stooz

A timely reminder. I've just donated £20.
However, the first attempt (by credit card) said it failed and said "do it again" and the second attempt when through OK. However, I got two e-mails (same reference of 'uid_4803_blah') and different transaction reference. Credit card is showing two pending transactions for 'Paypal *lemonfool'. I don't really mind paying twice, but it would be nice to check

a) is there anywhere on TLF to see how many donations of £20 have been credited against my TLF a/c in reality (maybe it needs to take 24 hours or so to see what's really happening?)
b) is there any way to allocate the two lots of £20 over two years?

TIA

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 7th, 2019, 12:19 pm

yorkshirelad1 wrote:
Clariman wrote:The Lemon Fool is, and will remain, free to use. However, there are costs and time involved in running the site. These costs are met by a combination of adverts and donations. You can make donations at any time by clicking on the Donations button at the top or clicking here app.php/donate

Clariman and Stooz

However, the first attempt (by credit card) said it failed and said "do it again" and the second attempt when through OK. However, I got two e-mails (same reference of 'uid_4803_blah') and different transaction reference. Credit card is showing two pending transactions for 'Paypal *lemonfool'. I don't really mind paying twice, but it would be nice to check

a) is there anywhere on TLF to see how many donations of £20 have been credited against my TLF a/c in reality (maybe it needs to take 24 hours or so to see what's really happening?)

TIA

Many thanks for the donation. I had also received 2 notifications about it. If you can see 2 pending transactions then it may be a Paypal issue and they'll back one out. If they both go through, can you send Stooz and me a PM and we'll sort it out somehow.

Thanks

yorkshirelad1
2 Lemon pips

Postby yorkshirelad1 » August 7th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Clariman wrote:
yorkshirelad1 wrote:

Clariman and Stooz

TIA

Many thanks for the donation. I had also received 2 notifications about it. If you can see 2 pending transactions then it may be a Paypal issue and they'll back one out. If they both go through, can you send Stooz and me a PM and we'll sort it out somehow.

Thanks

OK, thanks, I'll keep an eye on what my credit card does, and advise as appropriate. As you say, paypal may back it out. Sorry for the mess up and thanks for providing the great service and board :-)

maximan
2 Lemon pips

Postby maximan » August 7th, 2019, 5:50 pm

I have also just renewed my voluntary subscription.
At £20 a year that works out at just over 5p a day. (even cheaper in a leap year :D )
If that is not the bargain of the year I'm a dutchman.
Thanks clairman and stooz.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 8th, 2019, 12:20 am

maximan wrote:I have also just renewed my voluntary subscription.
At £20 a year that works out at just over 5p a day. (even cheaper in a leap year :D )
If that is not the bargain of the year I'm a dutchman.
Thanks clairman and stooz.
Thanks. I agree.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice

Postby Howyoudoin » August 8th, 2019, 7:19 pm

No disrespect to Clariman and Stooz, who have done an incredible job on meagre resources, but surely if we pay an annual subscription which includes no adverts, surely that should mean no adverts. It doesn't mean 'ah, but we can target you with our own ads on every screen cos that doesn't count'.

It doesn't bother me when i'm using a laptop or desktop, like now, it's fairly unobtrusive but on my smartphone it's a proper pain in the Pink marshmallows.

HYD

Return to “Biscuit Bar”