Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,johnhemming,Anonymous,Rhyd6,dredd0, for Donating to support the site

New posts

Pull up a chair, have a biscuit - discuss the site and general questions about the LemonFool
mc2fool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1837
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:24 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 496 times

New posts

#182839

Postby mc2fool » November 25th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Some folks have said that Quick links - New posts shows them topics containing posts made since they last logged in, and, indeed, that's what the phpBB documentation says it should do, but it doesn't work like that for me and I suspect there must be other factors involved.

Firstly, I don't log in and out regularly, I stay logged in (with "Remember me") until the site forces me to log in again, once every few weeks, and New posts certainly doesn't list weeks worth of posts, not even days worth.

Secondly, I use both the UCP Manage subscriptions list, to check on activity in my boards of particular interest, and I also use New posts to see if anything of potential interest has come up elsewhere, and I often notice new posts in my subscribed boards in the UCP list that don't show up under New posts.

Indeed, the New posts list is sometimes very short, esp. it seems in the early hours, and I'm wondering if there's also a timeout for it.....

PinkDalek
Lemon Half
Posts: 5299
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 1324 times
Been thanked: 1496 times

Re: New posts

#182845

Postby PinkDalek » November 25th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Prompted by your post, I looked at search.php?search_id=newposts and see 14 new posts. The oldest being one showing 25 Nov 2018 14:49. Whereas I have 15 unread Notifications, all dated for today and 10 of those being from before 14:49.

These posts may or may not throw some light on the issue:

https://www.phpbb.com/search/?q=new+posts

Btw UCP?

Another quirk is that having edited my reply, Notifications suggest I started this Topic thus:

Notifications

New topic by PinkDalek:
"New posts"
Forum: Biscuit Bar

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1837
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:24 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 496 times

Re: New posts

#182849

Postby mc2fool » November 25th, 2018, 5:51 pm

PinkDalek wrote:These posts may or may not throw some light on the issue:

https://www.phpbb.com/search/?q=new+posts

I'd actually read some of those and found that most had the same confusion I have. :)

Btw UCP?

User Control Panel.

Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 6950
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 1132 times

Re: New posts

#182871

Postby Lootman » November 25th, 2018, 7:24 pm

mc2fool wrote:Some folks have said that Quick links - New posts shows them topics containing posts made since they last logged in, and, indeed, that's what the phpBB documentation says it should do, but it doesn't work like that for me and I suspect there must be other factors involved.

The way it works for me is that it shows the new posts since the last time I logged out, not logged in. Which is more useful since I probably read those less new posts on that last session.

It works fine for me, but then I do actually log off!

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1837
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:24 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 496 times

Re: New posts

#182881

Postby mc2fool » November 25th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Lootman wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Some folks have said that Quick links - New posts shows them topics containing posts made since they last logged in, and, indeed, that's what the phpBB documentation says it should do, but it doesn't work like that for me and I suspect there must be other factors involved.

The way it works for me is that it shows the new posts since the last time I logged out, not logged in.

Indeed, I was actually more or less quoting the phpBB documentation, which I'd looked up and says, "View new posts - Returns a list of topics containing posts which have been made since the last time you logged in." https://download.phpbb.com/pub/document ... tation.pdf, s 6.1. A case of knowing what they meant rather than said, methinks!

Lootman wrote:It works fine for me, but then I do actually log off!

And you've verified that? Checked using other listings that it really does show you everything new to you?

Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 6950
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 1132 times

Re: New posts

#182885

Postby Lootman » November 25th, 2018, 8:09 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Lootman wrote:It works fine for me, but then I do actually log off!

And you've verified that? Checked using other listings that it really does show you everything new to you?

Looking at the timestamps of the "new posts" that it does show me indicates to me that it is a fairly complete list. But no, I have not exhaustively checked other listing to determine whether my list is 99% correct or 100% correct. This is the main way I use the site and so if it wasn't working well then I think I would have realised that by now.

In fact I would expect to miss a few posts because there is a time interval between me reading posts and me logging off. If someone posts something in those few seconds, or maybe minutes, then I will miss it because it won't appear in my next "new posts" list.

But, as the saying goes, it is good enough for government work.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half
Posts: 5299
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 1324 times
Been thanked: 1496 times

Re: New posts

#182897

Postby PinkDalek » November 25th, 2018, 8:54 pm

mc2fool wrote:Some folks have said that Quick links - New posts shows them topics containing posts made since they last logged in, and, indeed, that's what the phpBB documentation says it should do, but it doesn't work like that for me and I suspect there must be other factors involved.

Firstly, I don't log in and out regularly, I stay logged in (with "Remember me") until the site forces me to log in again, once every few weeks, and New posts certainly doesn't list weeks worth of posts, not even days worth.

...


Looking at this again, I too never log out. My earliest "New post" now showing is timed at 19:08 (15 in total). That may be when I last looked at TLF. Closing this Tab now at about 20:53. Will look again later and see what is revealed.

Cookies (not a techie) or limited to 14/15?

Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 6950
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 1132 times

Re: New posts

#182899

Postby Lootman » November 25th, 2018, 8:59 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Cookies (not a techie) or limited to 14/15?

Definitely not limited in number. If I don't log in for several days (rare, you are thinking) then there are several pages worth of "new posts".

I always delete all cookies and history at the end of every online session, so cannot comment on the effect of those.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half
Posts: 5299
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 1324 times
Been thanked: 1496 times

Re: New posts

#182922

Postby PinkDalek » November 25th, 2018, 11:22 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Looking at this again, I too never log out. My earliest "New post" now showing is timed at 19:08 (15 in total). That may be when I last looked at TLF. Closing this Tab now at about 20:53. Will look again later and see what is revealed. ...


That post of mine is numbered 182897. The next was 182898 by RedSturgeon, which was posted a few minutes after I closed the tab but may have been created as I was shutting down. When I returned to TLF, a little while back, my earliest unread New post was numbered 182899, as it happens the one by Lootpie up or down this thread (depending on your settings).

I’m unsure what I’ve proved, if anything, especially on a relatively quiet day for the boards.

Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 6950
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 1132 times

Re: New posts

#182924

Postby Lootman » November 25th, 2018, 11:28 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Lootpie

I call your Lootpie and raise you a Mad Dog.

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1837
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:24 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 496 times

Re: New posts

#182957

Postby mc2fool » November 26th, 2018, 9:03 am

Ok, so last night I opened up two tabs on New posts, which listed 26 matches going back to 6:05pm, and then closed the lid on my laptop and went to bed.

This morning I open the lid and reload one of the tabs and it shows 11 matches going back to 5:43am.

So, obviously it's not just topics containing posts made since the last log in/out (we already knew that, or those of us that only log in when forced would see an ever increasing list), but it's still not clear what the other factor is that results in the elimination of matches...

swill453
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3184
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 960 times

Re: New posts

#182960

Postby swill453 » November 26th, 2018, 9:14 am

mc2fool wrote:Ok, so last night I opened up two tabs on New posts, which listed 26 matches going back to 6:05pm, and then closed the lid on my laptop and went to bed.

This morning I open the lid and reload one of the tabs and it shows 11 matches going back to 5:43am.

So, obviously it's not just topics containing posts made since the last log in/out (we already knew that, or those of us that only log in when forced would see an ever increasing list), but it's still not clear what the other factor is that results in the elimination of matches...

I think there's some conflation of posts and topics. Unsurprising, as when you choose "New posts" from the menu you get a list of topics, not posts.

So I have no further knowledge, but it could be that the criteria is based on posts, either by time or number, but since you're presented with a list of topics (presumably containing the relevant posts) it's not easy to see (or count) those posts.

Scott.

tjh290633
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4525
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:20 am
Has thanked: 332 times
Been thanked: 1688 times

Re: New posts

#182961

Postby tjh290633 » November 26th, 2018, 9:23 am

The list of unread posts on my mobile shows the time and date of the earliest unread posting. New posts, on the other hand, sometimes disagrees as it shows a different post, ignoring that unread posting.

I'm happy to carry on with my present approach, which is to look at the Lemon Lounge for new posts, then Investors Round Table, and then unread posts, in case that shows anything of interest.

I don't think that New Posts tells me anything more than Unread Posts or just looking for red circles.

TJH

Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 6950
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 1132 times

Re: New posts

#183031

Postby Lootman » November 26th, 2018, 2:18 pm

swill453 wrote:I think there's some conflation of posts and topics. Unsurprising, as when you choose "New posts" from the menu you get a list of topics, not posts.

So I have no further knowledge, but it could be that the criteria is based on posts, either by time or number, but since you're presented with a list of topics (presumably containing the relevant posts) it's not easy to see (or count) those posts.

Yes, the "new posts" list is a list of topics to which a new post has been made since the last time you logged off. You then open each topic of interest to read that post, bearing in mind that there might be one, several or many new posts.

So my process for using the site is:

1) Log in
2) Read notifications to see if anyone has replied to a post that I made
3) Look at the "new posts" list
4) Read any topic that interests me that is on that list, including brand new topics
5) Then refresh the "new posts" list to see new posts since I logged in
6) Repeat 4 and 5 until I get bored
7) Log out

Works fine and as it should do as far as I know.

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1837
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:24 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 496 times

Re: New posts

#183170

Postby mc2fool » November 27th, 2018, 9:33 am

mc2fool wrote:Ok, so last night I opened up two tabs on New posts, which listed 26 matches going back to 6:05pm, and then closed the lid on my laptop and went to bed.

This morning I open the lid and reload one of the tabs and it shows 11 matches going back to 5:43am.

Yup, it's happened again. Last night New posts listed 34 topics, this morning it lists only 15, going back to just 5:07am.

And on checking my subscriptions list I find there's a couple of new late(r) night posts in one of my forums of interest that I haven't read that don't show up in New posts this morning.

So it looks like, rather than being all topics with new posts since last log out, as advertised, it actually resets sometime in the wee hours, at least if you don't log out overnight, making it unreliable for at least those users (the majority I'd have thought?).

swill453
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3184
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 960 times

Re: New posts

#183172

Postby swill453 » November 27th, 2018, 9:39 am

mc2fool wrote:Yup, it's happened again. Last night New posts listed 34 topics, this morning it lists only 15, going back to just 5:07am.

Which is suspiciously close to midnight Eastern USA time...

Scott.

Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 6950
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 1132 times

Re: New posts

#183243

Postby Lootman » November 27th, 2018, 1:19 pm

mc2fool wrote:So it looks like, rather than being all topics with new posts since last log out, as advertised, it actually resets sometime in the wee hours, at least if you don't log out overnight, making it unreliable for at least those users (the majority I'd have thought?).

Thinking about it more, if I close TLF without logging out then I find a different problem. The "new posts" list still includes all the new posts from my previous session, which is confusing. I have never noticed an overnight refresh such as you describe.

I don't have any subscriptions, if that makes a difference.

Can I ask why you don't log out of TLF (and for that matter other apps and sites as well, presumably)? I always thought it was good housekeeping, and potentially safer, to log out and close any app you are not using. And it only takes one click in the case of TLF.

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1837
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:24 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 496 times

Re: New posts

#183310

Postby mc2fool » November 27th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Lootman wrote:Can I ask why you don't log out of TLF (and for that matter other apps and sites as well, presumably)? I always thought it was good housekeeping, and potentially safer, to log out and close any app you are not using. And it only takes one click in the case of TLF.

Depends on the site. The risks of and from anyone/thing hijacking my TLF a/c are pretty low, IMO.

What do other people get from Quick links - New posts? Right now I'm not seeing anything earlier than a few hours ago ("last post" wise).

PinkDalek
Lemon Half
Posts: 5299
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 1324 times
Been thanked: 1496 times

Re: New posts

#183318

Postby PinkDalek » November 27th, 2018, 5:46 pm

mc2fool wrote:What do other people get from Quick links - New posts? Right now I'm not seeing anything earlier than a few hours ago ("last post" wise).


I see the same on my PC and effectively my mobile, namely:

by Infrasonic View the latest post 27 Nov 2018 10:40 (am).

I had to log back in on my iPad but it refers to precisely the same reply.


This might all end up similar to one of those unanswered DAKs from years back (the one about cars on a motorway with something on top - which eventually was resolved but maybe years later). Unless you drop stooz a PM - he said recently he hardly gets any - and he can tell you he can adjust the settings or possibly explain what is going on (if he knows the answer).

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1837
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:24 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 496 times

Re: New posts

#183323

Postby mc2fool » November 27th, 2018, 5:55 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
mc2fool wrote:What do other people get from Quick links - New posts? Right now I'm not seeing anything earlier than a few hours ago ("last post" wise).

I see the same on my PC and effectively my mobile, namely:

by Infrasonic View the latest post 27 Nov 2018 10:40 (am).

I had to log back in on my iPad but it refers to precisely the same reply.

Hmmm .... we're seeing different ones, for me it's by Gengulphus View the latest post November 27th, 2018, 1:40 pm but clearly (from your earlier post) it's definitely not showing you anything anywhere near the last time you logged out or in...

I thought it might be related to the times of the "Remember me" login keys, but I don't see any obvious connection.


Return to “Biscuit Bar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dealtn, Google Adsense [Bot] and 3 guests