Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: New posts

Postby Gengulphus » November 27th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Lootman wrote:Can I ask why you [mc2fool] don't log out of TLF (and for that matter other apps and sites as well, presumably)? I always thought it was good housekeeping, and potentially safer, to log out and close any app you are not using. And it only takes one click in the case of TLF.

Answering for myself rather than mc2fool, I'd guess the comparison probably depends on one's device(s), browser(s) and browsing habits. But basically, the way I see the comparison is that logging out and logging in again:

* costs a few more clicks to log out (2 in the case of TLF, one to pull down the menu containing the logout link and the other to click it);

* costs a few more clicks and typing my password to log back in;

* eliminates the risk of an attacker being able to fake being the already-logged-in me;

* adds a 'shoulder surfing' risk if I want to start browsing when I'm in a public place.

For me, that's worse overall for sites I sometimes want to start browsing when I'm in a public place (such as TLF) and better for ones I don't (such as broker accounts). So I generally stay logged in to sites like TLF and take care to log out of broker accounts as soon as I've finished what I need to use them for (and not to linger on them for things I don't, so the quality of a broker's research section is of essentially zero interest to me).

Gengulphus

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: New posts

Postby Gengulphus » November 27th, 2018, 6:06 pm

mc2fool wrote:What do other people get from Quick links - New posts? Right now I'm not seeing anything earlier than a few hours ago ("last post" wise).

To add to your data, less than 5 minutes ago, I got a list of 22 threads containing new posts, with times for the last post added to each thread going back to 14:34. Thread start times range back to June 3rd.

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”