Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Language

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Language

Postby Clariman » December 12th, 2018, 8:55 am

Moderator Message:
By all means continue to discuss language, but there will be no change to the site's policies on this. See my post of 7th December above for our reasoning. Clariman

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 12th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
I still also avoid swearing in front of children, though it seems that it's now commonplace amongst children, far more than it ever was when I was a child, no doubt because they're exposed to it so much more, both at home, at school and in the media.

We were always swearing and trying out new words, often without having the slightest idea what they meant, but they were very much limited to the playground, and of course the consequences of being overheard by an adult were very much more serious - and potentially painful - than today.

I've always hated swearing and support the zero tolerance approach on TLF, though there are a few colleagues at work with whom I enjoy a nice 'fruity' conversation at times, though in a jokey way.

I always remember our eldest as a teenager about to put on a DVD he'd bought, and when I said I might watch it too, he gave me a concerned look and said "You shouldn't watch this, Dad. It has a lot of swearing in it".

Steve

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » December 18th, 2018, 11:18 am

Is there anyone on this site who does not occasionally use the "F" word?

Indeed. Me. I don't swear at all.
Neither did my parents - at least in front of me.
Neither does my wife. And I have never heard my grown-up children swear.
Swearing has always seemed a cop-out when the English language is so rich in other ways to express ..... well to express all the things swearing appears to do.
In passing, I have always wondered how the comedy 'Father Ted' got away with using the Irish feck. DAK?

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » December 18th, 2018, 1:04 pm

stewamax wrote:Swearing has always seemed a cop-out when the English language is so rich in other ways to express ..... well to express all the things swearing appears to do.

It's even richer with profanity.

Why limit your lexicon?

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Postby Meatyfool » December 18th, 2018, 1:12 pm

stewamax wrote:In passing, I have always wondered how the comedy 'Father Ted' got away with using the Irish feck. DAK?

The same reason you see teenagers wearing "fcuk" tee-shirts.

Neither say "f*ck". So no obscenity.

Meatyfool..

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » December 21st, 2018, 9:27 am

We also have to consider our advertisers and Google rank which would both reject us further based on profanity. Both are a retirement of keeping the site running. So we err on the side of moderation.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”