Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Login context

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
XFool
The full Lemon

Login context

Postby XFool » February 22nd, 2019, 11:41 am

Just a quick query about this minor(?) annoyance. TLF, like most BB's based on contemporary software, has the 'Login context problem' - as I like to call it.

To browse and read TLF does not require logging in, to post does. In the 'old days' of BBs, this never used to present any difficulty: browse without logging in, see something you wanted to reply to - requires logging in so log in and continue in the original context.

Current BB software always seems to treat any login as a completely separate and standalone process, whatever context you are in when you log in is thrown away and you have to start again from the top. This means either you have to always be logged in, even if you are not planning on needing to do so; or if you browse without logging in and then decide you do need to log in based on your context, logging in throws away that context and you have to find it again from scratch. :evil:

I find this very irritating and more than a little silly (other views are available!). Is there any possibility that on TLF the system could be changed to an 'old style' context saving login process?

TIA

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Re: Login context

Postby robbelg » February 22nd, 2019, 11:53 am

If you tick the "keep me logged in" box (or words to that effect ) you will (almost) never have to login again.

Rob

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 22nd, 2019, 11:57 am

Or:

Keep the current tab open and open the Lemonfool in a new tab and log in there.

Then go back to your original tab and you'll be able to reply.

HTH,

Watis

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 22nd, 2019, 4:00 pm

Watis wrote:Or:

Keep the current tab open and open the Lemonfool in a new tab and log in there.

Then go back to your original tab and you'll be able to reply.

HTH,

Watis

Gad! I never thought of that workaround. Thanks.

Still, does anyone have any notion why this obvious feature has gone missing from contemporary BB software?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm

robbelg wrote:If you tick the "keep me logged in" box (or words to that effect ) you will (almost) never have to login again.

Rob

That won't work (for me) as it depends on keeping a cookie permanently on machine. I clear them out periodically and my browser is set to dump them on exit. I don't mind logging in, I just want to be able to do it directly without disruption.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » February 22nd, 2019, 6:15 pm

Its more secure thaqt way, but I appreciate your input. It needs to check "last page visited" and then try and return you to it, if it's a lemonfool page I guess. Something for the todo list.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 22nd, 2019, 10:30 pm

stooz wrote:Its more secure thaqt way, but I appreciate your input. It needs to check "last page visited" and then try and return you to it, if it's a lemonfool page I guess. Something for the todo list.

Curiously, it seems to be working that way at present! Morphic resonance?

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”