Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

What's happening about recs?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: What's happening about recs?

Postby melonfool » March 20th, 2017, 12:07 am

I don't think recs is the reason Stooz is looking at other software, just an add on.

He can do recs here but not in the way people want I think.

The other software is better for a number of other reasons I gather.

Mods have had a chance to play with it but personally I didn't have much of a look at it.

Mel

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » March 20th, 2017, 11:31 am

melonfool wrote:

Mods have had a chance to play with it but personally I didn't have much of a look at it.

Mel

If there is alternative software being evaluated, which is "better for a number of other reasons" and it includes reccing, then I hope a decision is reached sooner, rather than later.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 20th, 2017, 11:35 am

melonfool wrote:I don't think recs is the reason Stooz is looking at other software, just an add on.

He can do recs here but not in the way people want I think.

Do you know why it's considered that the mods are the appropriate users to first know about, play with and (presumably) discuss the use of this other software? I mean rather than any other random users of the site.

Scott.

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Postby Meatyfool » March 20th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Pardon me if I overlooked another post, but no-one has pointed out the following.

I'm not bothered one way or the other by having recs, but what I really want is a Best Of page.

I can live with moving to a new off-the-shelf forum tool if I have to to get the Best Of feature, but if this doesn't happen, then I want to see the Best Of feature here.

How that can be done without setting up Recs is beyond me.

Currently, I have to trawl through all unread posts and have only the Post Title to guess at whether to read or not. The Best Of feature was my TMF opening page because I learnt so much from those posts - especially about things I wouldn't have otherwise dreamt about reading.

Meatyfool..

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 20th, 2017, 3:31 pm

melonfool wrote:
swill453 wrote:Do you know why it's considered that the mods are the appropriate users to first know about, play with and (presumably) discuss the use of this other software? I mean rather than any other random users of the site.

Would you care to read that again and maybe try posting in less aggressive and more polite manner?

I don't see it as aggressive, and apologies if it came across that way.

I would be interested in an answer though. Do mods have more to do with running the site than simply moderating their board(s)?

Scott.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 20th, 2017, 3:42 pm

swill453 wrote:
melonfool wrote:
swill453 wrote:Do you know why it's considered that the mods are the appropriate users to first know about, play with and (presumably) discuss the use of this other software? I mean rather than any other random users of the site.

Would you care to read that again and maybe try posting in less aggressive and more polite manner?

I don't see it as aggressive, and apologies if it came across that way.

I would be interested in an answer though. Do mods have more to do with running the site than simply moderating their board(s)?

Scott.

I think your question can only really be answered by stooz and/or Clariman. They run the site and make all decisions. We moderators are just here to do their bidding.

John

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 20th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Scott.

Allowing all and sundry to test new features would descend into chaos, so it makes sense to use a subset of users. The mods are already a defined subset (and generally very capable) and therefore it's probably easier to communicate with them as a group (looks like the site is set up with 3 groups.... admins, mods, and the rest of us). Adding another group (testers) would be over-complicating things in my view.

--kiloran

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » March 20th, 2017, 6:39 pm

kiloran wrote:

Scott.

Allowing all and sundry to test new features would descend into chaos, so it makes sense to use a subset of users. The mods are already a defined subset (and generally very capable) and therefore it's probably easier to communicate with them as a group (looks like the site is set up with 3 groups.... admins, mods, and the rest of us). Adding another group (testers) would be over-complicating things in my view.

--kiloran

There is also the task of selecting another subset. While testing is an additional burden laid upon those who already give freely of their time to moderate this site, any other option would be an additional burden on Clariman and Stooz who have given (and continue to give) much more time and effort to allow our great community to continue and thrive.

Julian F. G. W.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 20th, 2017, 6:54 pm

Meatyfool wrote:Currently, I have to trawl through all unread posts and have only the Post Title to guess at whether to read or not. The Best Of feature was my TMF opening page because I learnt so much from those posts - especially about things I wouldn't have otherwise dreamt about reading.

Ironically, one aspect of not having recs here, but instead having an "unread posts" facility, is that "I learnt so much from those posts - especially about things I wouldn't have otherwise dreamt about reading."

In other words, whilst the "Best of" list might show me what posts other Fools found to be interesting or comforting, the "Unread Posts" list introduces a randomisation that causes me to see good posts that I would have missed if I had instead relied on the beauty contest list.

And all of that without even getting into the issue of how some Lemons might post differently and "play to the gallery" if there is an instant feedback loop that comes with accolades, ranks and virtual trinkets

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 1st, 2017, 1:47 am

Yes, the 'best of' feature on MFUK was a great portal for information. Some of the best information and learning I derived from the fool boards was via this feature.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 2nd, 2017, 7:44 am

Hi All

I thought I'd answer a few questions that have cropped up - or do my best to answer them. Stooz looks after the technical aspects so I have emailed him to ask a few things.

What is the definitive answer on whether recs and 'best of' board can be implemented on the current software?
I have asked Stooz for a definitive answer. My current understanding is that there is a recs function but it isn't very good. I don't think there is a 'best of' option that can be added here. Personal observation - much to my surprise, I haven't missed either function, even though I used them a lot on TMF.

Why do the Mods get to see trial new board software and not everyone?
Practicality. From time to time Stooz and I use the Mods as a sounding board and this was one example of it. Opening up the discussion to everyone would be overwhelming and impractical. It would probably waste a lot of your time too.

Are we considering switching to other board software?
Stooz is considering this and has done some trials. My personal view is "if this ain't broken - don't fix it", but I haven't even had a proper look at the new board software that Stooz has explored. I will discuss it further with Stooz. Personally, I wouldn't shift to another software environment just to get recs. No decision has been made to move, so assume not for the time-being.

General comment
We are happy for folk to make suggestions and to complain when features are not here, but we would ask you to be realistic. TMF was the author/creator of its own forum software, so had the technical capability and employees to make changes to it if they wanted. We do not. The Lemonfool uses freely available forum software that does have some add-ons, but those add-ons may not do what the community here want them to do and they need researched, investigate and tested. LemonFool does not have any employees. The technical aspects are done 95% by Stooz these days, who has a full time job and a family. LemonFool has done pretty well to create a stable environment that is supporting over 2,500 Fools (AKA Lemons) and had it up and running before TMF's boards were removed.

Thanks to all users for keeping the community alive- and for posting good quality and helpful content. Thanks to the Moderators for keeping an eye out for those who deliberately or inadvertently push the boundaries of the site rules - and for the vast majority of posters who freely adhere to the rules anyway.

Clariman

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 2nd, 2017, 8:04 am

Just noticed that Stooz has already given a comprehensive reply and there has been further discussion here

viewtopic.php?p=39973#p39973

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 4th, 2017, 5:34 am

Thanks for the update.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » April 5th, 2017, 7:03 pm

I have taken Clarimans view that the all new forum whilst nice still isn't perfect and it's a big leap.
So I'm going to soon install the add on which provides a base set of recs functionality.
Possibly as soon as this weekend.
It's not going to be too everyone's liking but i can tweak as we go.

I really wanted to give people the option to hide all visibility but that's been annoyingly difficult. I just need to understand the code better.
Unless anyone is a phpbb Dev that would like to earn some pocket money?

I will keep you informed.. but soon...

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » April 6th, 2017, 12:38 am

stooz wrote:I have taken Clarimans view that the all new forum whilst nice still isn't perfect and it's a big leap.
So I'm going to soon install the add on which provides a base set of recs functionality.
It's not going to be too everyone's liking but i can tweak as we go.

I really wanted to give people the option to hide all visibility but that's been annoyingly difficult. I just need to understand the code better.
Unless anyone is a phpbb Dev that would like to earn some pocket money?

I will keep you informed.. but soon...

Have a rec for that good news ;)

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » April 21st, 2017, 1:40 pm

stooz wrote:I'm going to soon install the add on which provides a base set of recs functionality.

2 weeks ago!
Don't keep us in suspenders any longer!

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » April 25th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Sorry lost the weekends to family commitments. Still very much at the top of the to do list.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”