Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

A Family Board?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
neversay
Lemon Slice

A Family Board?

Postby neversay » August 30th, 2019, 10:13 am

No doubt Lemon Fool has very experienced parents and relative rookies, but is there any chance of a Family Board to support this sub-community?

Topic areas that I can imagine include the challenges of modern parenting, social media, gadget use, gaming, days out, crisis advice, tips etc. Naturally, it's not there to replace MumsNet but has more of a Lemon Fool flavour on the subject matter.

Since the days of The Fool it has always seemed to be a missing piece. Any takers?

N.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: A Family Board?

Postby Dod101 » August 30th, 2019, 10:35 am

I thought that this was supposed to be replacing The Motley Fool which was primarily an investment site? Surely we do not need yet another Board of extraneous stuff far removed from investment matters, however worthwhile (I am in no position to comment on a Family Board otherwise except to say that for me it would be a turn off)

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 30th, 2019, 11:10 am

Maybe join "Mumsnet" instead? ... :roll:

"The Lemon Fool - Discussion forums for UK shares, Personal Finance and Investment"

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 30th, 2019, 11:34 am

neversay wrote:No doubt Lemon Fool has very experienced parents and relative rookies, but is there any chance of a Family Board to support this sub-community? ...

Some of us do not post anywhere else than the Lemon Fool and to be told to go elsewhere hardly fits the ethos here.

I do not think the overarching banner should preclude such a board. After all, if one were to look at Lemon-Aid viewforum.php?f=1, the naysayers would likely frown at some of those boards. Similarly Travel Lounge viewforum.php?f=36 wouldn't appear, at first glance, to belong here. As for Interests - Culture, Leisure , Food and Nature and Any Other Business words fail me.

I'd support a board such as Family Matters, possibly fitting neatly into Lemon-Aid, alongside Comfort Cafe where more troublesome matters in a Lemon Fool's life get aired.

Those who don't want their lives disturbed by such a place can simply ignore it or consider contributing to Bitter Lemons Grumpy Old Lemons Like You to let off steam. :)

In the meantime, you could always consider setting up a Topic over at Land of Off Topic Posts, where people appear to be far less judgemental and continue, on occasion, to include the "Amuse" of old.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 30th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Moderator Message:
The original aim of this site was to provide a home for the UK TMF community and replace the whole community feel that was a large part of the attraction of that site for many. So a variety of special interest boards were created here in addition to the financial boards. Indeed, the traffic on some of the non finance boards is in excess of many/most of the financial boards, so they are clearly popular.

Having said that, there are some boards here that see very little traffic and there would be little enthusiasm for adding to the list of boards now unless there was a groundswell of support for it from more than a couple of users. Hopefully there will always be a suitable board for any "family" type post, perhaps the DAK board for a straight factual question. Comfort Cafe has also been used in the past for posters with a family issue they were looking for advice with. For more chatty anecdotal stories, Beerpig's Snug is always useful. Budgeting type questions will always find a home at LBYM, while "Health and Wellbeing" could potentially be useful for some family questions.

As for those here who try to dissuade users who do not use the financial/investment boards, please desist. This site welcomes all users who want to participate as long as they abide by the rules and there is no rule that suggests anyone has to post on any particular board, nor any suggestion that those who choose not to participate in the financial boards are any less valued as a user.

John

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » August 30th, 2019, 7:08 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
neversay wrote:No doubt Lemon Fool has very experienced parents and relative rookies, but is there any chance of a Family Board to support this sub-community? ...

Some of us do not post anywhere else than the Lemon Fool and to be told to go elsewhere hardly fits the ethos here.

I do not think the overarching banner should preclude such a board. After all, if one were to look at Lemon-Aid viewforum.php?f=1, the naysayers would likely frown at some of those boards. Similarly Travel Lounge viewforum.php?f=36 wouldn't appear, at first glance, to belong here. As for Interests - Culture, Leisure , Food and Nature and Any Other Business words fail me.

I'd support a board such as Family Matters, possibly fitting neatly into Lemon-Aid, alongside Comfort Cafe where more troublesome matters in a Lemon Fool's life get aired.

Those who don't want their lives disturbed by such a place can simply ignore it or consider contributing to Bitter Lemons Grumpy Old Lemons Like You to let off steam. :)

In the meantime, you could always consider setting up a Topic over at Land of Off Topic Posts, where people appear to be far less judgemental and continue, on occasion, to include the "Amuse" of old.

Thanks for your support @pinkdalek. I have been on TMF since the very beginning and, although not an active contributor, considered LBYM as my spiritual home. While I respect @redsturgeon's judgment, perhaps the LF community and ethos isn't what I thought it was.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 30th, 2019, 7:48 pm

I seem to have been the main one who is anti, but do not let that put you off, neversay. It is certainly not up to me and I can always ignore it if a new Board were created. I thought that redsturgeon was quite positive in his post. We are though, all entitled to our views.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 30th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Grumpy ol git...yep, that's me, guilty.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 30th, 2019, 10:10 pm

I am prepared to say that on certain subjects I am a grumpy old man. (I almost added 'as well' but that may be unfair to monabri)

Dod

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » August 31st, 2019, 9:14 am

I've no problem whatsoever with a family board. However I am not sure what purpose it would serve given that there are equally suitable places for most of the topics that might be raised. We do have to be alert for dead-board-itis, so if we were to open up a new board then it ought to be on the understanding that if it receives insufficient traffic then in due course it would be culled and any content merged back into somewhere.

regards, dspp

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 31st, 2019, 10:42 am

Dod101 wrote:........ (I almost added 'as well' but that may be unfair to monabri)

Dod

Harsh but fair!

;)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 31st, 2019, 6:23 pm

Moderator Message:
From Clariman. I don't have a problem with it in principle either.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » August 31st, 2019, 9:24 pm

Personally I think it is important to keep the focus of the board in the private investment sphere. I am probably not unique in that I read the board by looking at recent posts. I am sitting looking at online fora whilst my 7 year old son (I have 5 children) watches youtube videos about minecraft so I do think family issues are important, but the board should really continue in the way it was set up - creating a Family board probably won't change that. I am rare in that I was banned from Mumsnet a few years ago (it was a complex issue relating to a pregnant Italian woman who was sectioned on a visit to the UK and then forcibly given a section and then had her baby put up for adoption - I was doing her PR in the UK, plus the Lord of the Rings). However, Mumsnet do welcome fathers.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » September 2nd, 2019, 1:18 pm

Understood. It was worth a try!

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » September 4th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”