Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Steffers0,Anonymous,CryptoPlankton,GrahamPlatt,Walkeia, for Donating to support the site

A proposal to relabel the Polite Discussions board

Pull up a chair, have a biscuit - discuss the site and general questions about the LemonFool
XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4350
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 203 times

Re: A proposal to relabel the Polite Discussions board

#259265

Postby XFool » October 21st, 2019, 1:59 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
JoyofBricks8 wrote:I understand why, its bloody hard to run a public webforum while maintaining some free speech.

JoB, whilst it's nice to get the chance to agree with you every once in a while, I didn't actually realise it was that difficult....

To be honest, I've posted from time to time on the "Political and Religious" forum on a US-hosted site "arboristsite.com". Usually about Trump, Climate change or Brexit. It is mainly frequented by the most stupid, vile, racist, homophobic, etc. etc. right wing nutters, and the site does run ads, is free (though it has "sponsors"), and has been going for years (at least 10?), and doesn't seem to be in any risk of being closed down due to "legal issues" due the language used in it's P&R board.

I wonder where on that site you posted them, or perhaps their policy has changed?

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/

Off the Topic Forum
Discuss stuff not related to the tree industry. DO NOT post political threads here. They WILL be deleted.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2552
Joined: March 7th, 2018, 8:14 pm
Has thanked: 1204 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: A proposal to relabel the Polite Discussions board

#259268

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 21st, 2019, 2:02 pm

XFool wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
JoyofBricks8 wrote:I understand why, its bloody hard to run a public webforum while maintaining some free speech.

JoB, whilst it's nice to get the chance to agree with you every once in a while, I didn't actually realise it was that difficult....

To be honest, I've posted from time to time on the "Political and Religious" forum on a US-hosted site "arboristsite.com". Usually about Trump, Climate change or Brexit. It is mainly frequented by the most stupid, vile, racist, homophobic, etc. etc. right wing nutters, and the site does run ads, is free (though it has "sponsors"), and has been going for years (at least 10?), and doesn't seem to be in any risk of being closed down due to "legal issues" due the language used in it's P&R board.

I wonder where on that site you posted them, or perhaps their policy has changed?

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/

Off the Topic Forum
Discuss stuff not related to the tree industry. DO NOT post political threads here. They WILL be deleted.

Oh, it's still going ;) and yes the P&R section is running as I type.

Here's a recent post on the Trump Blog thread.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/ ... st-7037356

You do need a login to see all the forums, however.

Matt

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4350
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 203 times

Re: A proposal to relabel the Polite Discussions board

#259270

Postby XFool » October 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:Oh, it's still going ;) and yes the P&R is running.

Here's a recent post on the Trump Blog thread.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/ ... st-7037356

You do need a login to see all the forums, however.

Matt

"You must be logged in to do that."

So a simple variant on the current TLF policy. ;)

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2552
Joined: March 7th, 2018, 8:14 pm
Has thanked: 1204 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: A proposal to relabel the Polite Discussions board

#259272

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 21st, 2019, 2:12 pm

XFool wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:Oh, it's still going ;) and yes the P&R is running.

Here's a recent post on the Trump Blog thread.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/ ... st-7037356

You do need a login to see all the forums, however.

Matt

"You must be logged in to do that."

So a simple variant on the current TLF policy. ;)

Indeed.

The reason why you saw this statement "DO NOT post political threads here. They WILL be deleted." is that they don't like any political stuff going in the non P&R boards in "Off topic" (that area also includes, cooking, music, hunting and fishing etc) or in the on topic areas i.e. the chainsaws, logging equipment, buy+sale etc. boards.

Matt

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4625
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:06 am
Has thanked: 432 times
Been thanked: 801 times

Re: A proposal to relabel the Polite Discussions board

#259273

Postby redsturgeon » October 21st, 2019, 2:19 pm

It is what it is, the fact that it has been one of the most popular boards here, by quantity of posts, suggests that it fills a need. The whole Brexit situation has expanded and fed that need. If you feel the need to post there then be our guest, if not then that's OK too.

If it is "too tame" for you then I am sure there are many other places on the internet where a wilder discussion can be had, whatever floats your boat.

Hopefully the board will still be here after Brexit is done and dusted (one way or another).

John

JoyofBricks8
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 152
Joined: September 28th, 2019, 3:48 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: A proposal to relabel the Polite Discussions board

#259277

Postby JoyofBricks8 » October 21st, 2019, 3:05 pm

There is always 4chan for those PC topics that are beyond the pale here. Guaranteed wide latitude in free speech there, one can be as polite or impolite as you like. When certain reasonable questions are excluded and impossible to discuss on a mainstream forum, inevitably the discussions will be forced to be held on the radical fringes. The faster the social Marxists exclude and silence people or deplatform, the harder it polarises their oppressed victims.

Of course, if society wants lots more angry excluded radicals, thats how society ends up with lots more angry excluded radicals.

I doubt many would see that as a desirable outcome. However Western society is curbing free speech on a host of sensible questions so bigly. There is sure to be an awful lot of folks getting forced out to such places as /pol/.

Some of the results of this are fascinating: See the moral panic among leftists that was generated when 4chan Anons seeded the hoax that the traditional finger-and-thumb OK signal was a secret racist sign. The PC brigade have ended up taking the bait and falling for it hook-line-and-sinker. the result is they are now trying to ban the OK signal for having connotations it never truly had. Quite sublimely ridiculous. Such tactics ought not to be successful in a sane world. Sadly, the lunatics are definitely running the show now.

Source: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ok-symbol-%F0%9F%91%8C

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4094
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 1476 times
Been thanked: 2586 times

Re: A proposal to relabel the Polite Discussions board

#259282

Postby Itsallaguess » October 21st, 2019, 3:32 pm

Clariman wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
Perhaps I'm just observing a schism here; one view being that "PD" is an exceptionally gentile area for very tame exchanges, so verbose as to hide any difference of opinion in treacle thick verbosity, and the second being that "PD" is a dumping ground either for discussions originating in other boards which have gone awry (so probably are not particularly polite according to some) or ones which somehow not seem to fit anywhere else but the site still wants to host.


It is neither. We want it to do what it says on the tin..

Discussion can be robust in terms of powerful logic and argument, but it should remain polite and respectful.

It may not live up to that but we will not be budged from that aspiration.


Indeed.

It seems to me that the OP is trying to seek a solution to a problem that doesn't exist....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2552
Joined: March 7th, 2018, 8:14 pm
Has thanked: 1204 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: A proposal to relabel the Polite Discussions board

#259308

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 21st, 2019, 5:36 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Clariman wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
Perhaps I'm just observing a schism here; one view being that "PD" is an exceptionally gentile area for very tame exchanges, so verbose as to hide any difference of opinion in treacle thick verbosity, and the second being that "PD" is a dumping ground either for discussions originating in other boards which have gone awry (so probably are not particularly polite according to some) or ones which somehow not seem to fit anywhere else but the site still wants to host.


It is neither. We want it to do what it says on the tin..

Discussion can be robust in terms of powerful logic and argument, but it should remain polite and respectful.

It may not live up to that but we will not be budged from that aspiration.


Indeed.

It seems to me that the OP is trying to seek a solution to a problem that doesn't exist....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

The OP was actually attempting to make a suggestion to improve the descriptiveness of a board's name, to assist newcomers to the site.

(Rather than making totally off-topic thinly veiled criticism aimed at another poster.)

Matt

Lanark
Lemon Slice
Posts: 258
Joined: March 27th, 2017, 11:41 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: A proposal to relabel the Polite Discussions board

#259357

Postby Lanark » October 21st, 2019, 9:09 pm

johnhemming wrote:I navigate the forum by using a link which gives recent postings. That is not selective by topic.
/search.php?search_id=newposts

Thats what I do, it has the advantage/disadvantage of allowing you to completely ignore the complex forum heirarchy.

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4350
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 203 times

Re: A proposal to relabel the Polite Discussions board

#259358

Postby XFool » October 21st, 2019, 9:12 pm

JoyofBricks8 wrote:Some of the results of this are fascinating: See the moral panic among leftists that was generated when 4chan Anons seeded the hoax that the traditional finger-and-thumb OK signal was a secret racist sign. The PC brigade have ended up taking the bait and falling for it hook-line-and-sinker. the result is they are now trying to ban the OK signal for having connotations it never truly had. Quite sublimely ridiculous. Such tactics ought not to be successful in a sane world. Sadly, the lunatics are definitely running the show now.

Sure seems to be that way...

OTOH, in my experience of these things, "the lunatics" usually seem to be crack-pot right wingers, full to the gills with crazy conspiracy theories. ;)
(Not usually on TLF)

csearle
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2042
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 2:24 pm
Has thanked: 1182 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: A proposal to relabel the Polite Discussions board

#259379

Postby csearle » October 21st, 2019, 11:57 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:The OP was actually attempting to make a suggestion to improve the descriptiveness of a board's name, to assist newcomers to the site.

(Rather than making totally off-topic thinly veiled criticism aimed at another poster.)
I am not sure that newcomers to the site will ever find PD now that its so well hidden from them.

That was clearly not criticism of another poster, thinly veiled or otherwise, neither was it off-topic; on the contrary it was exactly on-topic and suggesting that in that poster's opinion no problem existed that needed addressing. I tend to agree,

Chris

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4094
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 1476 times
Been thanked: 2586 times

Re: A proposal to relabel the Polite Discussions board

#259385

Postby Itsallaguess » October 22nd, 2019, 4:29 am

Moderator Message:
With Clariman being clear in his response to the original question, I think this topic has now run it's course, so I'm locking it - Itsallaguess


Return to “Biscuit Bar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests