Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Why does HYP1's discussion seem to stir a rather emotional response?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Why does HYP1's discussion seem to stir a rather emotional response?

Postby dealtn » November 19th, 2019, 11:11 am

Alaric wrote:
dealtn wrote:I'm assuming it's the "rules" required to create such a portfolio that is missing for you, not the fact that such shares exist, and can over time "grow" from a low initial yield return to a substantially higher income?

In fairness, the "rules"" for selecting such Companies are missing for everybody although some of the managers of some of the more concentrated IT portfolios may have discovered a proxy for them.

How do you select Companies such as Unilever, Diageo, Compass? They have to do well in terms of future profits and also have a policy of distributing these profits by way of dividends. That such Companies may be in short supply is indicated by the observation that their share prices increase even faster than their dividends, resulting in dividend yields below the index average. A "Strategy" that sorts by yield and discards below the index average is not going to find them.

Yes, hence my question (to someone else). Rules are difficult to find to create an "ideal" system (in advance), yet people like to have them. I suspect that many who "worship" at the HYP altar are rule followers, and to be fair the system has, at least to date, provided what it claimed to do, a growing (if concentrated) income stream for HYP1, and lots of other successes too (although survivorship bias might be limiting the evidence on the other side of the spectrum - few advocates suffering failure would be on the board pushing the system I would think).

Where I think it gets emotional (as an outsider looking in) is that many seem to proclaim it as the "best" way, rather than one of the successful ways, of running a portfolio.

It has produced a growing, above inflation income return, better than "cash" or "annuity", but so (would) have many other systems, including something as simple as investing in a low cost tracker. Projecting forward to make claims about the system's future income is of course difficult. Will it outperform a tracker, or a portfolio of low yield shares is by necessity an unknown. What will be certain is that some shares selected will be disasters, and the high yield is probably reflective of higher risk of that here, and some will be stars. In ignoring the majority of shares it is possible to invest in, and concentrating on essentially a small number of already large companies, many of whom are high yield only because they are going through a "bad patch", it is certain that many stellar performers will be missed.

Does that mean HYP is a "bad" thing, or merely likely to be sub-optimal? Does it mean a good performer as HYP1 has turned out to be on a total return basis is impossible, or improbable, to achieve again? We don't know, but it does feel that many on the site in general, and on that board in particular, seem to "know" a lot more than it would seem is "knowable" and get very defensive about it.

The irony that amuses me most when I see the board rise in apoplexy is that the system was designed for those who would be happy to be "invest and ignore" types not concerned by the day to day fluctuations in the market, perhaps only occasionally if at all interacting with what was going on in the world of equity investing. Yet, that is the investment board, that appears (by volume of posts) to be where the least tolerant behaviours and abilities to ignore are displayed.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » November 19th, 2019, 11:23 am

Alaric wrote:
IanTHughes wrote: I think that HYP will better deliver my primary aim of creating a portfolio of shares that gives me a high and growing income stream.

Unless you need the income to live off which if reinvesting you don't, that's a pointless exercise.

Please explain why you believe re-investing dividends, which will provide ever more income in the future, is a pointless exercise?

Alaric wrote:Wouldn't a growing portfolio value be a better objective?

If my primary aim was to create "a growing portfolio value" I would of course choose a strategy that I believed would achieve that. It is of course not my primary aim so your belief as to it being "a better objective" is entirely irrelevant to me, although I quite accept it may be relevant to others. I can tell you that I am quite comfortable with the growth in value of my HYP over the past 7+ years. Would it be better with another strategy? Maybe, I don't know. But I would also have to be confident in my ability to use such a strategy, whatever my Primary/Secondary aims were. My initial attempts at pursuing a Value strategy were mediocre at best, which of course is why I turned to HYP in the first place.

Alaric wrote:But to address the question in the title, why does criticism of "the HYP Strategy" meet with a response equivalent to a criticism of religion with quotes from what appear to be treated as the tablets of stone?

Sorry, but only you can explain why you persist in this anti-HYP crusade with such a religious fervour!

Ian

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 19th, 2019, 12:18 pm

IanTHughes wrote:Please explain why you believe re-investing dividends, which will provide ever more income in the future, is a pointless exercise?

After you reinvest, you end up with a fully invested portfolio and it's the value of that which should matter, not whether it was generated by revaluation of the original holdings or reinvestment. I hope it would be accepted that if you invested in a share that gave a 10% dividend which was reinvested but at the cost of a 10% capital loss, you are no better off than if you didn't invest at all and left the money to earn no interest in a bank account.

What's pointless is seeking high yields at the expense of capital, when you don't immediately need the income.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » November 19th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Lootman wrote:Ian, if you will indulge me, what do you consider to be the three biggest defects of HYP?

Assuming that you are talking about the HYP Strategy as laid out 19+ years ago by Stephen Bland (pyad) and:

1) Bearing in mind the intended audience are not "Investing Professionals" or even very experienced in making their own investment decisions and:
2) Assuming anyone taking up HYP understands the need for them to undertake some research and make what are subjective decisions as to what to purchase and:
3) Assuming that said audience understands the risks of Equity investing and particularly that Capital Value and/or the Dividend Income is not guaranteed in any way

I do not see any particular defects with the strategy.

Ian

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » November 19th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Alaric wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:Please explain why you believe re-investing dividends, which will provide ever more income in the future, is a pointless exercise?

After you reinvest, you end up with a fully invested portfolio and it's the value of that which should matter, not whether it was generated by revaluation of the original holdings or reinvestment.

To you maybe, and I can only wish you the very best of luck. For myself I can only repeat: My Primary Aim is to create a high and growing dividend income. I accept your apparent obective is to increase Capital Value, why can you not accept that my objective is different?
Alaric wrote:I hope it would be accepted that if you invested in a share that gave a 10% dividend which was reinvested but at the cost of a 10% capital loss, you are no better off than if you didn't invest at all and left the money to earn no interest in a bank account.

Well of course I understand that but so what? So far my HYP has produced both a growing dividend and a growing capital value! I further believe that, assuming I achieve my aim of a growing Income, the Capital Value should also rise, although not necessarily in complete tandem, an outcome I am perfectly happy to accept.
Alaric wrote:What's pointless is seeking high yields at the expense of capital, when you don't immediately need the income.

Which of course is why I do not use and nor do I advocate such a pointless strategy!

Ian

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 19th, 2019, 2:16 pm

IanTHughes wrote: For myself I can only repeat: My Primary Aim is to create a high and growing dividend income. I accept your apparent obective is to increase Capital Value, why can you not accept that my objective is different?

My view is that objective is a somewhat pointless endeavour unless you need the income for immediate spending and I would have thought that a mainstream view outside the mindset of the HYP-P board. The usual measure of investment success or failure is total return.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 19th, 2019, 2:43 pm

May I suggest pistols at dawn?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 19th, 2019, 2:56 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Perhaps we should have a GTRIP board?

Growing Total Return Investment Portfolio

I'm sure someone can come up with an amusing acronym?

Then we could say 'Get a G(T)RIP. Sorry about the (T).

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 19th, 2019, 3:01 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:Ian, if you will indulge me, what do you consider to be the three biggest defects of HYP?

Assuming that you are talking about the HYP Strategy as laid out 19+ years ago by Stephen Bland (pyad) and:

1) Bearing in mind the intended audience are not "Investing Professionals" or even very experienced in making their own investment decisions and:
2) Assuming anyone taking up HYP understands the need for them to undertake some research and make what are subjective decisions as to what to purchase and:
3) Assuming that said audience understands the risks of Equity investing and particularly that Capital Value and/or the Dividend Income is not guaranteed in any way

Not only is ITH a good illustration of the fervent believer, it would seem that he even has his own Bible judging by his quite expensive quotes apparently from the master himself.

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 19th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Dod101 wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:

Not only is ITH a good illustration of the fervent believer, it would seem that he even has his own Bible judging by his quite expensive quotes apparently from the master himself.

With Pyad and Luniversal rarely posting these days it did leave a hole in the HYP Cheerleader Department, and Ian has nobly stepped into the breach. There are other HYP adherents, of course. But perhaps none with such maniacal fervour and loyalty. I have to admire the commitment to the cause, if not always to objectivity.

But to answer my own question to Ian I would cite HYP's three biggest defects as:

1) Single country risk
2) A bias to the riskier part of the market
3) Either the no-sell rule (if you believe in that) or the lack of advice about when and how to sell if you do not.

There are a couple of components I agree with. I tend to buy in equal weights myself, at least with shares rather than funds. And I like dividends, but just prefer those with an above-average growth rate rather than an above-average yield.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » November 19th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Dod101 wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:

If you truly believe that, you know nothing about me at all.

However, I do apologise, I did not appreciate that I needed your permission before using quotes from your master.

Ian

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » November 19th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Lootman wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:Assuming that you are talking about the HYP Strategy as laid out 19+ years ago by Stephen Bland (pyad) and:

With Pyad and Luniversal rarely posting these days it did leave a hole in the HYP Cheerleader Department, and Ian has nobly stepped into the breach. There are other HYP adherents, of course. But perhaps none with such maniacal fervour and loyalty. I have to admire the commitment to the cause, if not always to objectivity.

Another who knows me not at all.

Lootman wrote:But to answer my own question to Ian I would cite HYP's three biggest defects as:

1) Single country risk
2) A bias to the riskier part of the market

Both of which are risks that are clearly identified as having to be accepted by anyone using the HYP Strategy, so what exactly is your point?

Lootman wrote:3) Either the no-sell rule (if you believe in that) or the lack of advice about when and how to sell if you do not.

There is of course no such "rule". There is a recommendation that, as most of the intended audience are as likely to damage the portfolio results by voluntary trading as improve them, such voluntary trading should be avoided. I think the results shown for HYP1 and indeed my own HYP, do not show that this is a bad recommendation.

Lootman wrote:I like dividends, but just prefer those with an above-average growth rate rather than an above-average yield.

Well each to their own is all I can say.

Ian

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » November 19th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Bouleversee wrote:May I suggest pistols at dawn?

How about cannons loaded with grapeshot? It would make a better job of reducing the amount of hypersensitivity on the Lemon Fool.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 19th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Dod101 wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:

Dod

Ha! Ha! I of course meant expansive quotes. :D

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 19th, 2019, 4:29 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:Assuming that you are talking about the HYP Strategy as laid out 19+ years ago by Stephen Bland (pyad) and:

However, I do apologise, I did not appreciate that I needed your permission before using quotes from your master.

Ian

An apology from Ian is quite something, thank you. But of course I can only know you (and you me) through whatever we post, and you certainly come across as a true believer, quoting the master at each and every opportunity so far as I can see. That is fine though, just as long, IMHO, as you do not influence others too much. A HYPish type approach is all very well but allowing for no deviation is a recipe for at the very least an unbalanced and somewhat dangerous portfolio as we can see from various reports emanating from pyad. You certainly do not need my permission to do anything and I do not know where you got that impression.

Dod

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 19th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Lootman wrote:There are a couple of components I agree with. I tend to buy in equal weights myself, at least with shares rather than funds.

If you were really almost exclusively interested in income, wouldn't it be preferable to buy so as to achieve equal weight by projected annualised income? Not that anyone does it that way, but it reduces the exposure of an income cancellation on any one share.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 19th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Alaric wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
It's a simple, flexible, income-investment strategy. And therein lies it's ultimate appeal....

Its adherents fail to consider the risks and vociferously attack anyone pointing them out.

Alaric,

You said the following in a different thread, and I'd be interested in hearing your reply if that's possible please?

Alaric wrote:
You don't need to look far for assertions that the "HYP Strategy" is all about income, even to the extent of an advocacy of buying cum div in preference to ex div.

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=265275#p265269

Can you please tell me where that advocacy exists?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 19th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Can you please tell me where that advocacy exists

It was by one of the principal advocates. The discussion was over the timing of share purchases when a dividend was imminent. You could buy immediately or wait until after the ex div date. Or perhaps it just didn't matter. Said advocate would buy cum div, to increase the amount of next dividend to be received because dividend income was "the point" of the "HYP Strategy".

Some institutional fund managers would actually do it that way, in other words buy cum div to increase immediate income. Usually they would be gaming the rules they were expected to follow regarding distributions or a marketing imperative to demonstrate a higher level of yield.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 19th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Alaric wrote:
Lootman wrote:There are a couple of components I agree with. I tend to buy in equal weights myself, at least with shares rather than funds.

If you were really almost exclusively interested in income, wouldn't it be preferable to buy so as to achieve equal weight by projected annualised income? Not that anyone does it that way, but it reduces the exposure of an income cancellation on any one share.

I am not "almost exclusively interested in income" as I tend to place the emphasis more on cashflows, however they derive, rather than just income. But if I were then I think your idea makes a certain amount of sense.

One implication would be that you would have larger positions in shares like Diageo and Unilever, because of their relatively lower yield. And that might be a good thing given their growth rates that are superior to the HYP average. Conversely you would under-weight the most egregious yield hogs and dogs.

But I tend to approach the problem from the other side. What annual income do I need? Then I chose the lowest average yield that achieves that believing, as I do, that gives me a wider choice of shares, especially growthier and safer shares. I see HYP more as a solution for someone who doesn't really have enough to retire on but wants to anyway, or has to, and accepts the higher risk.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » November 19th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Dod101 wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Not only is ITH a good illustration of the fervent believer, it would seem that he even has his own Bible judging by his quite expensive quotes apparently from the master himself.

An apology from Ian is quite something, thank you. But of course I can only know you (and you me) through whatever we post, and you certainly come across as a true believer, quoting the master at each and every opportunity so far as I can see.

As I said, you obviously know nothing about me. I do not have any master so you will have to explain who exactly you are referring to and whose master they are, assuming not yours of course, which was my original assumption.

Dod101 wrote:That is fine though, just as long, IMHO, as you do not influence others too much.

I do not seek to influence anybody rather I simply report on what I am doing with my own HYP and those two virtual HYP's that I have decided to monitor. Apart from that I do feel it necessary to point out others who insist on posting misleading statements, using strawmen arguments and downright lying about the HYP strategy or indeed myself. I make no apology for that.

Dod101 wrote:You certainly do not need my permission to do anything and I do not know where you got that impression.

You appeared upset when you erroneously claimed that I was quoting from a "Master". I have no such master so naturally assumed that I had accidentally quoted someone that you look up to with some reverence. Knowing how sensitive some on here can be to such things however accidental they may be, I thought it best to apologise.

Ian
Last edited by IanTHughes on November 19th, 2019, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”