Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Why does HYP1's discussion seem to stir a rather emotional response?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Why does HYP1's discussion seem to stir a rather emotional response?

Postby Lootman » November 19th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:whilst some HYP critics seem to repeatedly claim some sort of 'religious fervour' when it comes to HYP income-investors, it's often seemed to me that a mirror needs holding up to some of those frothing at the mouth with their constant stream of criticism.

I agree with you that, like most disputes, it takes both sides to create such a situation.

But again, why only HYP? What is it about it that generates such heat and froth? That was the newbie's original question that I sought to answer.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 19th, 2019, 7:51 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I am replying to ITH's post no 265505 of 4.53 pm today. It has become much too convoluted for me to extract bits from it but in any case all I wanted to say is that I would have thought that it was pretty obvious that when I referred to 'the Master' I was referring to the author of the HYP creed, namely none other than pyad himself.

I was right then. You do see Stephen Bland pyad as your Master. Tell me, do you attend secret meetings with other followers? Do you get together with other followers and chant his name while in a trance? Oh please do tell!

You are the one who seems enthusiastic enough to do that sort of thing. I am not a follower as you must know perfectly well, but this is all getting a bit childish and I have made my point. I will say no more on this subject.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 19th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Lootman wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
whilst some HYP critics seem to repeatedly claim some sort of 'religious fervour' when it comes to HYP income-investors, it's often seemed to me that a mirror needs holding up to some of those frothing at the mouth with their constant stream of criticism.

I agree with you that, like most disputes, it takes both sides to create such a situation.

But again, why only HYP?

What is it about it that generates such heat and froth? That was the newbie's original question that I sought to answer.

Because where regular HYP critics see a single 'religion' that they want to attack, what they fail to understand is that they're zealots too, in their own peculiar way, and having two vociferous parties such as that is always likely to lead to the oh-so regular situations we find here on this thread....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 19th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:What's more interesting though is that some critics seem to think that holding up specific granular examples of HYP-shares 'gone-bad' can be a method of suggesting that HYP's can never be successful, which I hope you might agree would be an equally ridiculous claim to make...

It's the method of selecting shares which involves sorting by current yield that is liable to catch the suspect shares. Screening by "sustainable" dividend is a bit mystic. How do you tell?

For top ups in particular it's just one share being selected, not an entire portfolio, so the safety in numbers that winners may outnumber losers doesn't apply. The top up is a single share. Why select a potential dog?
Moderator Message:
The discussion on selection criteria has moved Back to HYP-P. Please do not continue this topic on this board.
Gryff

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » November 19th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Lootman wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:whilst some HYP critics seem to repeatedly claim some sort of 'religious fervour' when it comes to HYP income-investors, it's often seemed to me that a mirror needs holding up to some of those frothing at the mouth with their constant stream of criticism.

But again, why only HYP? What is it about it that generates such heat and froth? That was the newbie's original question that I sought to answer.

I think it's because there's very little investment discussion here, and most of what there is is HYP.

On other sites you get many such ding-dongs … Growth vs Value, Tesla shorts vs Tesla longs, etc.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 19th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Alaric wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
What's more interesting though is that some critics seem to think that holding up specific granular examples of HYP-shares 'gone-bad' can be a method of suggesting that HYP's can never be successful, which I hope you might agree would be an equally ridiculous claim to make...

It's the method of selecting shares which involves sorting by current yield that is liable to catch the suspect shares.

Screening by "sustainable" dividend is a bit mystic.

How do you tell?

You look for things like 5-year dividend-payout histories, and a good level of dividend cover Alaric, and you look to discard options that don't show good promise on those fronts, and on other fronts like debt-levels and such-like.

But you know this Alaric, and yet persist in holding up the single 'high-yield' metric as being the only thing you can criticise, when you know there are other considerations in addition to that which mean that *just because* a potential investment has a 'high-yield', doesn't *necessarily* mean that we must invest in it....

Again, you have a really quite wilful blind-spot in your criticism Alaric, which considerably lessens the impact of your approach to it...

In your world, every HYP selection is a Carillion, and yet here in the real world, that's patently not the case...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 19th, 2019, 9:56 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
You look for things like 5-year dividend-payout histories, and a good level of dividend cover Alaric, and you look to discard options that don't show good promise on those fronts, and on other fronts like debt-levels and such-like.

Sure, but in the limit those who profess to follow "the High Yield Strategy" would chose on the basis of the highest current yield and do this because the "Strategy" says so.

Itsallaguess wrote:In your world, every HYP selection is a Carillion, and yet here in the real world, that's patently not the case...

But equally in the real world the "HYP Strategy" failed to filter out Carillion, so why isn't every potential HYP selection a potential Carillion, particularly those with a downward price momentum?

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 19th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Alaric wrote:But equally in the real world the "HYP Strategy" failed to filter out Carillion, so why isn't every potential HYP selection a potential Carillion, particularly those with a downward price momentum?
It is. But that is why diversification is such a key element, so that on these occasions it doesn't resemble a farm bet. C.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 20th, 2019, 9:42 am

Moderator Message:
Whilst the original thread title was a fair question for this board. Discussion seems to have moved to:
A) Relative merits of HYP, which belongs on HYP-General.
B) Selections for HYP, which belong on HYP-Practical. EDIT: Several comments on selection criteria have been moved Back to HYP-P
C) Attacks on others, specifically forbidden by TLF rules.

I'll leave this thread open for a while. Just in case anyone has anything to say on the original subject. But any more off topic comments or personal attacks and it will be locked.

Gryff

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 20th, 2019, 10:28 am

csearle wrote:
Alaric wrote:But equally in the real world the "HYP Strategy" failed to filter out Carillion, so why isn't every potential HYP selection a potential Carillion, particularly those with a downward price momentum?

It is. But that is why diversification is such a key element, so that on these occasions it doesn't resemble a farm bet. C.

Depends what you mean by diversification. UK HY shares are about 3% of global equity market cap, and probably less than 1% of the global investible market if you include bonds.

But as gryyron said, I'm still waiting for an alternative answer to the original question other than the one I offered.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 20th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Alaric wrote:Its adherents fail to consider the risks and vociferously attack anyone pointing them out.

And opponents of HYP strategies often vociferously attack HYP strategies on HYP Practical, the board dedicated to running them in practice, not on High Yield Shares & Strategies where discussions about whether HYP strategies (and other high-yield strategies) are a good idea or not are supposed to happen. I realise that the opponents might feel that HYP strategies are being advocated on HYP Practical, and that it's unfair to deny opponents the opportunity to present their opposing advocacy - but actually neither advocacy for nor advocacy against HYP strategies is about running HYP strategies in practice, so they're both off-topic on HYP Practical. The way to deal with advocacy for HYP strategies on HYP Practical is to report it for being off-topic, asking for it to be moved to High Yield Shares & Strategies where it can be replied to free of HYP Practical's restrictions, or alternatively reply on High Yield Shares & Strategies (*). But be careful to distinguish between advocacy and simple reporting of facts about how a HYP has done in practice. For example, a report that HYP1 has produced seriously good performance over the last 19 years and that this is highly satisfactory for its owner is reporting facts, not advocacy, but saying something like "I think every investor should use a HYP strategy - just look at how HYP1 has performed over 19 years" is advocacy just as much as "I think investors should avoid HYP strategies like the plague - just look at how unbalanced and risky HYP1 has become over the last 19 years".

Also, opponents often attack not just the HYP strategies but also their adherents, describing them as zealots, dogmatic, etc - which at least IMHO is a breach of at least the spirit of TLF's rules that "To make this a valued and successful discussion forum, LemonFool asks all users to be respectful, understanding and helpful to other posters" and "Robust debate is allowed, but it must remain polite and respectful at all times. Stick to the facts and argue the points discussed, rather than criticise the poster."

And somewhat lower-key, but still lacking respect IMHO, they pretend to knowledge about the adherents that they quite simply cannot possibly know. For example, they pretend to know that the adherents haven't considered the risks of the HYP strategy: all they actually know is that either the adherents have failed to consider the risks or the adherents have considered them, assessed how big they are and decided that they are small enough to be acceptable.

As for the question asked in the subject, my answer is basically that although I do assess the risks I am taking, I do NOT want to be assessing those risks all the time: I have plenty of other things I want to do with my life! The board split on TMF back in the spring/early summer of 2008 was designed to give people a refuge from the habit that had developed on the original HYP board since the autumn of 2007 of diverting almost every discussion into an "are HYP strategies good or bad?" debate. The original HYP board became High Yield Shares & Strategies to avoid interrupting any such debates that were in progress at the time, and HYP Practical was created with a topic that explicitly excluded such debates (**). In principle, that meant that I and others like me could choose when I wanted to re-assess HYP strategies and their risks and when I didn't by choosing whether to read both boards or just HYP Practical. In practice, that worked quite well for a few months, but then the anti-HYP advocacy and anti-HYPer disrespect from opponents started creeping back into HYP Practical, and unfortunately was too often met with pro-HYP advocacy or simple indifference, both of which the opponents seem to have taken as encouraging them to take it further. Every now and then, they take it a bit further than that and things blow up, often with people on both sides becoming a bit emotional about it. Then moderators crack down on the anti-HYP advocacy and anti-HYPer disrespect, and the problem looks to be sufficiently well resolved, so they relax things again - and the anti-HYP advocacy and anti-HYPer disrespect start creeping back again - and so the loop continues...

Frankly, the only way I see of breaking out of that loop is for the moderators to become a lot tougher with persistent offenders - both those who needle HYPers by posting anti-HYP advocacy and anti-HYPer disrespect on HYP Practical and those who reply with pro-HYP advocacy and anti-HYP-opponent disrespect there. Things like escalating up to a month-long ban from the board, with a warning that if the offender doesn't learn their lesson permanently and instead allows themselves to creep back into the offending type of posting after 'serving their time', next time the ban will be for life - and doing exactly that if the warning is ignored.

Note I'm not saying that the moderators should do that, nor indeed that they shouldn't - just that if they don't, I see little hope of the loop being broken out of. I.e. for the admins and moderators, it's a question of whether that sort of rather draconian cure is better or worse than the disease of letting the loop continue, with its resulting drain on moderator time...

(*) This is a bit more work, but not much - and it does make a contribution to TLF in the form of saving the moderators unnecessary work. To do it, prepare a reply as usual, then rather than submitting it, copy it, shift to High Yield Shares & Strategies, press "Post New", paste the copy into the input box, choose and enter an appropriate title for the new thread (the original thread's title is often not very appropriate!) and submit. Or to be a bit more helpful to other users, add "From <link to original thread>:" at the top of the new post before submitting to make it easier to find what you're replying to, and post a brief reply on HYP Practical saying just "I have replied on <link to new post>." so that people know you have replied and can easily find your reply if they want to.

(**) To be precise, IIRC the exact TMF board names were "High Yield - Share Strategies" and "High Yield - HYP Practical", but I don't think that makes any real difference!

Gengulphus

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 20th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
Also, opponents often attack not just the HYP strategies

HYP Strategies is a self defined term. Anyone who had never read TMF, TLF or any of the Bland articles might assume that "Practical" just implied a discussion of individual stocks or instruments which fitted into a broad concept of making a respectable payout. Instead any discussion of Preference Shares, Investment Trusts, ETFs, foreign shares etc. is flamed as being off topic. It's liable to elicit a counter reaction.

By way of example, here's a recent thread which I'm marginally surprised hasn't been reported as being off topic, as similar suggestions have been in the past.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20441&start=40

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 20th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Lootman wrote:
Hypster wrote:I think the passion that comes through in the discussion is also connected to the board in which the discussion is taking place.

If I recall correctly, the HYP-P board back in TMF spun off as a separate space so that those who accepted and believed in the methodology could discuss its practical application rather than the merits (or otherwise) of the strategy, just as a users of a “United Supporters” group would want to discuss their team without people posting in that space that they would be better off supporting City, or watching cricket instead.

Yes but that still doesn't address why HYP is the ONLY investment strategy discused here that claims it needs such special protection and immunity from criticism? It begs the question in the title.

HYP strategies don't get general immunity from criticism - they can be criticised as much as posters like on High Yield Shares & Strategies or Investment Strategies. They get one discussion area out of a number where they can discussed without interruption from some types of criticism, but not others - e.g. observing the growth of imbalances in HYP1 and the risks they produce, followed by suggesting tweaks to the details of its strategy to counteract it, is a form of constructive criticism that is perfectly acceptable on HYP Practical, but use-a-different-strategy criticism is not (but is acceptable on High Yield Shares & Strategies or Investment Strategies). Just as Hypster's hypothetical “United Supporters” group would be one discussion area out of a number where United could be discussed without interruptions from some types of criticism, but not others - e.g. observing that a particular player is not pulling their weight, followed by suggesting tweaks to the team would be a perfectly acceptable form of constructive criticism, while suggesting supporting City instead would not, but both would still be OK on "Sports Bar (all sports)".

As for why HYP is the only investment strategy that gets that quite limited form of immunity from criticism, I believe it's because historically it's the only investment strategy that was both popular on TMF and subjected to a sustained and intense barrage of destructive criticism by its opponents that getting a sustained discussion of anything about it other than that criticism became very difficult. That happened back in 2007-2008 and led to the HYP Practical board's creation. And while I'd like to think that the passage of time has made the split no longer necessary, unfortunately I can't because it's quite easy to see that HYP opponents are still visiting the HYP Practical board and slipping destructive criticism of HYP strategies and HYPers into their posts.

By the way, one other point that could get confused with whether HYP strategies get immunity from criticism is whether HYPers get immunity from criticism. That has a completely different answer - not that they get a limited form of immunity from criticism on HYP Practical only, but that they get full immunity from criticism of everything but the points they make, on the entire site - just like every other user. That immunity is in the TLF rules: "Robust debate is allowed, but it must remain polite and respectful at all times. Stick to the facts and argue the points discussed, rather than criticise the poster."

Anyway, if any other investment strategy becomes popular and is subjected to a similarly sustained and intense barrage of destructive criticism in the future, I suspect it will end up being treated similarly. For various reasons, I doubt that will happen, but until and unless it does, HYP Practical being the only such board is only evidence of HYP strategies being the only ones that have historically needed that treatment, not of any especially favourable treatment being given to HYP strategies that would be denied to other types of strategy.

Gengulphus

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 20th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
Alaric wrote:Its adherents fail to consider the risks and vociferously attack anyone pointing them out.

And opponents of HYP strategies often vociferously attack HYP strategies on HYP Practical, the board dedicated to running them in practice, not on High Yield Shares & Strategies where discussions about whether HYP strategies (and other high-yield strategies) are a good idea or not are supposed to happen.

That is a problem that would never happen if the HYP subject was handled the same way as every other investment topic here, and only had one board. Then that board would allow both practical discussions and critical discussions. You would be free to contribute to or ignore either. This is a fake problem because HYP'ers apparently wanted special snowflake status as the only class of Fool/Lemon that has immunity from seeing criticism.

Having two boards for HYP was a critical error based on a dubious premise. But if you're going to do that, accept the consequences. Don't whine about them.

Gengulphus wrote:Also, opponents often attack not just the HYP strategies but also their adherents, describing them as zealots, dogmatic, etc - which at least IMHO is a breach of at least the spirit of TLF's rules that "To make this a valued and successful discussion forum, LemonFool asks all users to be respectful, understanding and helpful to other posters" and "Robust debate is allowed, but it must remain polite and respectful at all times. Stick to the facts and argue the points discussed, rather than criticise the poster."

The simplest way to avoid being called a dogmatic zealot, I have always found, is to stop being a dogmatic zealot.

I am all for civility but that must derive from a level playing field, and not from creating "safe spaces" where a precious class of people demand special treatment i.e. immunity from criticism.

Gengulphus wrote:Frankly, the only way I see of breaking out of that loop is for the moderators to become a lot tougher with persistent offenders - both those who needle HYPers by posting anti-HYP advocacy and anti-HYPer disrespect on HYP Practical and those who reply with pro-HYP advocacy and anti-HYP-opponent disrespect there. Things like escalating up to a month-long ban from the board, with a warning that if the offender doesn't learn their lesson permanently and instead allows themselves to creep back into the offending type of posting after 'serving their time', next time the ban will be for life - and doing exactly that if the warning is ignored.

Wrong, demanding ever stricter moderation will simply polarise the constituency here and cause resentment. You cannot micro-manage a community in that way. A big advantage that TLF has over TMF is that the moderation here is less anal-retentive (*). It would be an entirely retrograde move to adopt TMF-style dictatorial moderation. And since TLF lacks the commercial driver that TMF had, it is not warranted.

It is not as if TMF-like moderation ultimately ensured the survival of the TMF boards. Ultimately, they imploded and the high cost base of moderation was a factor - the staff who moderated TMF are no longer there. You cannot expect invasive levels of moderation from volunteers in the same way. Nor is it in the spirit of this community. It's a horrible idea.

(*) Rather amusingly, I once had a post removed from TMF because I used the term "anal-retentive" (correctly). Apparently the Mod in question did not realise it was a scientific term and thought I was being rude. You can't make this stuff up.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 20th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Lootman wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:
SalvorHardin wrote:[Anyway some of us preferred being heretics and wandered off to the oil and gas board, ...

Yes but aren't you coming up with a solution? You went off to another board to discuss what you wanted to discuss.

Those who aren't proponents of the High Yield Portfolios (HYP) - Practical (Practical discussions about equity High-Yield Portfolios (HYP) for income) strategy seem unable to resist posting there (and here). This isn't the first topic on the subject in the Biscuit Bar, nor shall it be the last.

The topic arose because a new Lemon (has been here about 5 weeks) asked about the emotions surrounding some HYP discussions. It is unlikely that someone that new would be aware of the history in the same way as you are. Gengulphus could not answer him ...

Wrong, and your making it appear so by quoting out of context has been corrected.

Gengulphus

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 20th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Gengulphus wrote:As for why HYP is the only investment strategy that gets that quite limited form of immunity from criticism, I believe it's because historically it's the only investment strategy that was both popular on TMF and subjected to a sustained and intense barrage of destructive criticism by its opponents that getting a sustained discussion of anything about it other than that criticism became very difficult. That happened back in 2007-2008 and led to the HYP Practical board's creation. And while I'd like to think that the passage of time has made the split no longer necessary, unfortunately I can't because it's quite easy to see that HYP opponents are still visiting the HYP Practical board and slipping destructive criticism of HYP strategies and HYPers into their posts.

There is the problem right there. You blame a "sustained and intense barrage of destructive criticism" without ever asking why that should happen? You just assume HYP'ers are 100% innocent and that everything is the fault of those who dare to proffer some criticism.

The first step towards solving this situation is for everyone to share in the responsibility for it. That may include those who offer non-constructive crticism but it also includes those who rise to man the barricades every time the cannons roar (you know who they are).

Any commentator who starts out from a position that everything is the fault of the other side is already revealing their inherent bias. The problem goes deeper than that.

That said, I'm glad you realise that the board split isn't desirable and hasn't worked. That has long been my position.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 20th, 2019, 7:11 pm

For me it can be frustrating with more than one board where single companies can be talked about, but I get the history of "why", just disappointed how often things descend when we can all learn a little from each other.

Part of the problem, at least for me is the "practical" heading. You will often get a new thread after a company update or set of results, such as the recent BT ones. The initial post, on HYP-P, would be along the lines of "...results out...dividend up X%....paid on...." etc. which I guess is fine as its factual, and the practical bit for a HYPer, as far as I can see is "thanks for the news, it's relevant to me as I will get a dividend of £Y on..." etc.

It doesn't take long before someone says something along the lines of "...do we think the dividend is sustainable?". Now in HYP-P land is the answer from a "practical" perspective something like "it doesn't matter, if you are invested already it's non-tinker"? Or is that too restrictive, because others are thinking "I have cash and looking for a top-up, do I want to invest here if the dividend might be cut in the future?".

Someone else, possibly a non-HYPer might reasonably answer the question, "look at the latest cash flows" to genuinely try and help, and answer the question. Soon, someone will be saying "the elephant in the room is the pension liability".

In a normal course of conversation this is all interesting and can be helpful to all investors across multiple strategies, but clearly we are now off the "practical". But who is going to start a new topic, which might get ignored, or at a minimum restrict the flow of the debate? I guess not many would, nor would moderators be expected to interfere, unless it was reported, or clearly "got nasty".

The point is it is natural for topics and conversations to stray in this way, but also for those who disagree to resort to arguments such as "...wrong board..." or "...you don't follow the HYP strategy..." as an easy way of "winning". We are all losers as a result I think.

Not that I have easy answers, but the structure of boards and in practice inflexibility of debating (perhaps not with all I should add), isn't helpful in many cases.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 21st, 2019, 9:48 am

Moderator Message:
Enough. I have had to delete too many personal remarks. This topic is closed. Please keep any further thoughts on this subject to yourselves

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”