Swearing is actively discouraged. Automatic filtering of some swear words and manual removal of others may be done without discussion. Where users are asked to moderate their language, they are expected to comply.
The new rule has been kept deliberately simple. However, we will preempt some possible questions ...
- This new rule is to make clear what is generally understood and adhered to anyway. It is not being introduced to solve a problem.
- We understand that people have different definitions of what constitutes swearing, so it will be up to individual Admins and Moderators to make judgements based on appropriateness and context. Although we always strive for equitable treatment and consistency, this may occasionally mean that a word is accepted by one moderator but the same word in another post might be deleted by another.
- Admin and Moderator decisions are final. However, you can use existing routes to raise a question about a specific moderator decision by sending a polite PM to the Mod. Thereafter you can raise with Admin by PM or via Room 101.
- Any swearing directed at another individual or group breaks existing rules and will be deleted.
- Replacing key letters with asterisks (*) is better than spelling out the full word, but will not guarantee it will remain unfiltered or unedited.
- It is acceptable to quote a 3rd party who has sworn, if it is relevant to the discussion, providing asterisks are used.
I will leave this topic open for any clarification questions, but will not enter into debates about any specific situations or what constitutes a swear word.
All the best