Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Pulled posts

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
eepee
Lemon Slice

Pulled posts

Postby eepee » May 9th, 2020, 3:36 pm

I'm sure I have had a post pulled.

Isn't one normally informed when this happens?

Regards,
ep

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Pulled posts

Postby GoSeigen » May 9th, 2020, 3:46 pm

eepee wrote:I'm sure I have had a post pulled.

Regards,
ep

No, you aren't informed as a rule.

However, are you sure it was actually posted in the first place? If you submit a post on a thread where someone else has replied since you started composing the post, then the board software doesn't submit your post. Instead it produces a screen very subtly different to the submitted post screen asking for further confirmation. Of course if you don't notice and confirm then your post never gets submitted. I'm sure this has happened to me often. Perhaps that's why you can't find yours? Have a look and see if someone else posted around the same time as you on the same thread.

GS

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 9th, 2020, 3:55 pm

eepee wrote:
I'm sure I have had a post pulled.

I think that was me, on the Jokes board, and I do apologise because I only meant to delete an off-topic political-reply that you'd received, and not your original post.

I've now re-instated your post, and left the reply deleted. They won't be getting informed of the deletion because they really should know better by now..

Thanks for letting us know about this error, and giving me a chance to fix it.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » May 10th, 2020, 11:32 am

Thanks for the clarification/repair.

I thought the response was not quite in the spirit of the board.

Having left TLF I thought I might have posted to the wrong board.

So I came back to check and the posts had disappeared! So i was no wiser on whether my original had been to LL or not!

Regards,
ep

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 16th, 2020, 11:41 am

Dod101 wrote:What happened to my post this morning noting that Mark Barnett had gone from Invesco? Has it been deleted or if not can somebody tell me where it is? If it was deleted it wold be good to know why.

This is under the heading "What happened to Goodbye Mark?" on the HYP - Practical Board.

I suppose the original was deleted for mentioning an Investment Trust manager. Arguably it would be more appropriate on the Investment Trusts board, but it isn't there either. The more recent question will likely be deleted as well.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » May 16th, 2020, 11:51 am

If you post something on a board that is clearly inappropriate for it, then it may just disappear.

Especially in HYP-P. Read the instructions for the boards, especially for HYP-P.

regards, dspp

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 16th, 2020, 11:53 am

I must say I think it is only courteous for the mod to advise the author. My pulled post was not exactly important but it was interesting enough for three thanks to be recorded so whoever deleted it I think was wrong.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 16th, 2020, 11:55 am

dspp wrote:If you post something on a board that is clearly inappropriate for it, then it may just disappear.

Especially in HYP-P. Read the instructions for the boards, especially for HYP-P.

regards, dspp

Someone must have been petty enough to have reported it??????? And then some mod responded by deleting it rather than transfer it to the IT Board if that is where it should have been. Amazing.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 16th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Dod101 wrote:
dspp wrote:If you post something on a board that is clearly inappropriate for it, then it may just disappear.

regards, dspp

Someone must have been petty enough to have reported it????

And then some mod responded by deleting it rather than transfer it to the IT Board if that is where it should have been.

Amazing.

Come on Dod - you've been here long enough to know that starting a brand new thread on HYP-Practical related *purely* about an IT manager is just asking for that sort of trouble...

How about taking some personal responibilty in this particular instance?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 16th, 2020, 12:39 pm

I am very happy to 'take personal responsibility' To be quite honest I never thought about the Board and cannot imagine that it is the biggest crime in the world.

More to the point though, mods often move threads or posts if they are on an inappropriate Board and that would have been the better option I think rather than simply deleting it. It also had three thanks which show up at the bottom of the post so at least some thought the news helpful or interesting anyway.

The currently anonymous mod has obviously not felt able to explain his action.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 16th, 2020, 1:28 pm

Dod101 wrote:
I am very happy to 'take personal responsibility'

To be quite honest I never thought about the Board..

Therein lies the problem then..

Again - you're not new here Dod...perhaps you might want to set a better example?

Is it any wonder that there are persistent issues in this area when one of the longest-running and most well-respected of posters 'doesn't think' where he's posting things in relation to the known issues that arise around such topics?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 16th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Perhaps you were the mod who pulled the post. I cannot understand otherwise why you would want to keep this running. It was relatively early this morning. I had just glanced through my paper, spotted the item about Mark Barnett and thought people might be interested since he had been discussed not so long ago. I did not really think where it was being posted. I got it wrong and have now reposted the item on the IT Board.

All I am saying was that the (still anonymous) mod presumably had it reported by a reader and the mod deleted the post despite the fact that by then it had aroused enough interest to have three thanks attached to it. I would have expected the mod who took the action, to have moved it to the 'correct' Board. They do it often enough.

Dod

Moderator Message:
Word removed describing the user who reported the post - the poster was quite rightly being community-minded, and trying to head-off the inevitable off-topic discussions and arguments that such a post was almost guaranteed to generate....Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 16th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Perhaps you were the mod who pulled the post.

I cannot understand otherwise why you would want to keep this running.

Well primarily because the subject seems to have been posted about on a thread regarding a completely different issue Dod, but one that I was involved with, but that aside, it takes two people to discuss something, and I thought you were happy to continue doing so - all I'm doing is replying to your points..

Dod101 wrote:
I did not really think where it was being posted.

I would have expected the mod who took the action, to have moved it to the 'correct' Board. They do it often enough.

Perhaps they've 'done it often enough', that you don't think you need to bother to 'think where you're posting'...

Perhaps it's time you did....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 16th, 2020, 3:05 pm

For goodness' sake! 'Nuff said.

Dod

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » May 16th, 2020, 10:34 pm

I'm sorry but I've been pulling up weeds all day, fixing lights, etc. It is a saturday, so it is the honeydo day.

I deleted that post in the morning. It was sitting in my alerts when I logged on. It had already upset other users It was in the wrong place, and it was from someone who is not a newbie. So, to the bin.

I gave quick explanation and moved on to other diets of weeds

It is discourteous to other users to think that posting random stuff in clearly the wrong place is acceptable.. it is unreasonable to expect mods to explain why for the nth time.

Good night.

Regards, dspp

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » May 23rd, 2020, 7:50 am

dspp wrote:...

Itsallaguess wrote:...

I think there is a logical inconsistency for Mods to ponder. I have been told in the past that the correct procedure to take if you are unhappy with an action taken by a mod is: first, PM the Mod and ask why they took the action they did; second, if you are unhappy with the response raise it on Room101.

But how can one follow that procedure if, as in this case you do not know which Mod took the action? That seems a procedural failing to me.

To be clear I am not commenting on the specifics of this instance, as I agree with the decision. I am just trying to raise the more general point.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 23rd, 2020, 7:57 am

Wizard wrote:
But how can one follow that procedure if, as in this case you do not know which Mod took the action? That seems a procedural failing to me.

To be clear I am not commenting on the specifics of this instance, as I agree with the decision. I am just trying to raise the more general point.

But in the case you're discussing, you do know who took the action...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » May 23rd, 2020, 8:57 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Wizard wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Wizard wrote:

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 23rd, 2020, 9:02 am

Wizard wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Wizard wrote:

Wizard wrote:

I'm honestly at a loss as to the point you are wanting to make here Wizard.

Your first sentence above clearly asks "But how can one follow that procedure if, as in this case you do not know which Mod took the action?"

I have answered that question for you, because we do know who took the action...

If that question wasn't the point of your post, can you please make your point more clearly?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » May 23rd, 2020, 9:11 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Wizard wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

Wizard wrote:

I'm honestly at a loss as to the point you are wanting to make here Wizard.

Your first sentence above clearly asks "But how can one follow that procedure if, as in this case you do not know which Mod took the action?"

I have answered that question for you, because we do know who took the action...

If that question wasn't the point of your post, can you please make your point more clearly?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

That if a mod deletes a thread without telling the OP why, the OP can’t PM to ask why. Which is what we have been told to do in the first instance if we are unhappy with a mod decision.

The identity of the mod was only revealed by raising it here, which is not what is supposed to happen.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”