Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

proposed TR - total returns - strategies board

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: proposed TR - total returns - strategies board

Postby PinkDalek » May 24th, 2020, 9:08 pm

mc2fool wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:One of those boards with most new topics but I’ve no idea of the number of replies there; at least those stats aren’t showing on this machine. :)

Eh? 369 Topics 6936 Posts.

"This machine" was a mobile where I couldn't see the total number of posts. I may have needed to have done something clever but, not to worry, I can now see the total number of posts, as you say, from the PC.

Incidentally, I didn't point it out when someone else said they didn't know of Investment Strategies but they have also posted there.

Maybe it is reverting back to the situation where a number come in via New or Unread posts and don't immediately spot what board they are on or don't actually care.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 24th, 2020, 9:21 pm

Gengulphus wrote:. Doubtless some HYPers don't care about capital, but equally some reckon that focusing on a high level of dividend income from a HYP and reinvesting it is the best way they have to try to achieve good capital growth over the long term.

Any mention of Total Return on the HYP-P board is liable to be deleted without explanation as "off topic". Frustration at that I think is what triggered this proposal.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 24th, 2020, 9:37 pm

PinkDalek wrote:"This machine" was a mobile where I couldn't see the total number of posts.

Aha!
Incidentally, I didn't point it out when someone else said they didn't know of Investment Strategies but they have also posted there.

LOL! See what you mean! There does seem to be a lot of B-S in this thread....
Maybe it is reverting back to the situation where a number come in via New or Unread posts and don't immediately spot what board they are on or don't actually care.

Well then there'd be no point in a specific TR board for them, eh? :D

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 24th, 2020, 9:44 pm

mc2fool wrote:

Well then there'd be no point in a specific TR board for them, eh? :D

It would matter if you want to top post, i.e. initiate a topic, as then you have to decide where to post.

Neither you nor I top post very much and so if we access TLF via "New Posts" then I'd agree that boards hardly matter. But if others are top posting a lot and finding that their posts are being pulled for being OT then I can see their problem. I am just not sure that is really happening other than on HYP-P?

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 25th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Alaric wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:. Doubtless some HYPers don't care about capital, but equally some reckon that focusing on a high level of dividend income from a HYP and reinvesting it is the best way they have to try to achieve good capital growth over the long term.

Any mention of Total Return on the HYP-P board is liable to be deleted without explanation as "off topic". Frustration at that I think is what triggered this proposal.

Well, I've certainly mentioned total return on HYP Practical in the past without that happening to me... Possibly the reason is that at least as far as I remember, my mentions have mainly been factual ones about what total returns particular HYPs or HYP shareholdings have achieved, as opposed to presenting total return as an argument for or against running a HYP strategy. Presenting any arguments either for or against running a HYP strategy was off-topic on the TMF HYP Practical board, though that seems to have become much more muddled on the TLF board... :-(

I think I've also made remarks similar to the above, along the lines of it not mattering to a HYP strategy why a HYPer wants the dividend income, just that they want it, and that among the various reasons that HYPers have for wanting dividend income is a belief that reinvesting them as a good route to a good total return.

Gengulphus

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 25th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Lootman wrote:Neither you nor I top post very much and so if we access TLF via "New Posts" then I'd agree that boards hardly matter. ...

Hardly matter to your own reading of the boards, agreed, but they do matter to reading the boards by various other methods of accessing TLF. So if there is both a substantial group of Lemons who use those other methods, and a substantial group of Lemons who frequently pay no attention to boards when posting, friction is pretty certain to arise between them. That friction could in principle be resolved either by the first group changing their methods of accessing TLF, or by the second group changing their behaviour, specifically by developing a habit of always checking the board they're about to post on before submitting their post, regardless of whether it's a top post or a reply.

Given that the second group is visibly doing something against the existing rules, i.e. posting off-topic posts, and the first group's methods of accessing TLF are both invisible and in accordance with the existing rules, I strongly suspect those hoping that such friction will be resolved by getting the first group to change their methods of accessing TLF are on a hiding to nothing...

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”