Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

HYP Practical - Some Changes

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYP Practical - Some Changes

Postby Wizard » June 17th, 2020, 11:35 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Alaric wrote: But I agree that discussions of the attractiveness or avoidance of individual shares that take place on HYP-P could be better elsewhere. There's one at present on the demerits or otherwise of SSE.

Depends what you mean by better - better for who?
Personally, I think the discussion now on HYP-P concerning SSE is just the sort of discussion which should be held on that particularly board. It's about a HYP share and whether it can sustain the dividend - all good HYP relevant stuff.

As I understand it, the idea behind the new guidelines was to make the HYP-P board more exclusively concerned with running a HYP, and to cut out contentious deabte from troll-like interventions, not to close down debate on shares or to emasculate the board.

There's nothing to prevent SSE being discussed on other board - just go ahead and do it!

And another poster commenting about the new rules not working amused me, since it was he who said let's see how it settles down when I was arguing for a change in wording - and that was only last week. Hardly time to settle down.

Arb.

My bold.

Fair enough Arb, but I think they have pretty much settled down as I described. I guess it all happened more quickly than I anticipated, so I guess I was wrong before if I suggested it would need a long time to do so. Shock, horror, somebody on TLF admitting they may have been wrong about something, mark that one down on the calendar ;)

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 17th, 2020, 11:39 am

Alaric wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Personally, I think the discussion now on HYP-P concerning SSE is just the sort of discussion which should be held on that particularly board. It's about a HYP share and whether it can sustain the dividend - all good HYP relevant stuff.

There's an inference that it is supporting the dividend by borrowing. That has become a feature of at least some of the stocks that inhabit the HYP universe, but not one that can be expressed on the HYP-P board.

That's fine though surely.

It's a legitimate conversation, but no reason why it can't take place elsewhere as well. I have made the point several times that some threads on HYP-P aren't the right place, but this one (so far at least) isn't one of them.

It is amusing though when posters are saying things like "I don't understand the accounts", which could well be interpreted as "I hope someone could explain the accounts to me" specifically on a Board of narrow focus amongst a collective who follow a strategy where it is arguably unimportant to understand the accounts. Either be happy pursuing a strategy where that ignorance is unimportant (and don't mention it), or utilise an alternative Board with a broader readership, and potentially learn something (and diminish that ignorance) is how I see it.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 17th, 2020, 12:14 pm

dealtn wrote:
Alaric wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Personally, I think the discussion now on HYP-P concerning SSE is just the sort of discussion which should be held on that particularly board. It's about a HYP share and whether it can sustain the dividend - all good HYP relevant stuff.

There's an inference that it is supporting the dividend by borrowing. That has become a feature of at least some of the stocks that inhabit the HYP universe, but not one that can be expressed on the HYP-P board.

That's fine though surely.

It's a legitimate conversation, but no reason why it can't take place elsewhere as well. I have made the point several times that some threads on HYP-P aren't the right place, but this one (so far at least) isn't one of them.

It is amusing though when posters are saying things like "I don't understand the accounts", which could well be interpreted as "I hope someone could explain the accounts to me" specifically on a Board of narrow focus amongst a collective who follow a strategy where it is arguably unimportant to understand the accounts. Either be happy pursuing a strategy where that ignorance is unimportant (and don't mention it), or utilise an alternative Board with a broader readership, and potentially learn something (and diminish that ignorance) is how I see it.

Ironically, the person who said they did not understand the accounts is neither ignorant nor an HYP investor. But I agree with the general thrust of your point, the chances of getting a detailed discussion of the accounts is reduced by limiting the constituency of those that can comment. Last time I looked the only response to the comment about not understanding the accounts was one that simply replayed comments from the SSE results about the importance of the dividend. Maybe the post was intended to point out the accounts are not relevant if the board is committed to paying the dividend, but there was no explanation so it is unclear to me.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » June 17th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Wizard wrote:However, IMHO, this creates a problem. An HYP investor may want to talk about the financial results of SSE, as is currently taking place, because there are views on the sustainability of that dividend which would be of interest to an HYP investor. But an interest in the sustainability of the SSE dividend is not of interest to only an HYP investor, that discussion is not unique to how an HYP investor manages their investments. When a thread on HYP-P starts to engage in a discussion of the sustainability of SSE's dividend, as far as I can see those who are not HYP investors have only three choices:

If non-HYP investors inhabited other boards more appropriate for their interests there wouldn't be a problem.

They wouldn't even seen the HYP related discussion of it, they'd already be discussing SSE's results in the non-HYP places they inhabit. And those discussions on other boards can even include sustainability of the dividend or otherwise.

There'd be no problem what-so-ever.

Non-HYP posters are (I believe) perfectly welcome to discuss the financial aspects of shares that might happen to be HYP shares, on other boards.

Why, oh, why, oh why are a number of non-HYP posters so obsessed with being able to discuss non-HYP aspects of shares SPECIFICALLY ON the HYP-practical board, when they have already clearly and unambiguously stated they have no interest in running a HYP?

Why, oh, why, oh why?!!!

Here's a 'thought experiment'...

-o- Create a new board for those who want to run their HYPs without interruption from people who are not bought into the HYP camp (Let's call it 'HYP-not-another-bloomin-board'). Those currently posting on and within the HYP-P guidelines can all decamp over to the new board.

-o- Then let the current posters obsessed with wanting to post on HYP-practical post what the heck they want on the existing HYP-practical board

Then let me guess...

All of a sudden those posters currently ranting about wanting to post on HYP-P would then want to infiltrate the new board, and would no longer be happy posting on the existing board they so desperately want to post on at this moment in time.

The essence of the problem isn't the subject - those non-HYP posters can post and discuss what they want on other boards.

So no amount of modification of board guidelines is going to resolve this issue.

The problem is that a handful of non-HYP people are obsessed with discussing their aversion to HYP with the very people who are actually running their HYPs.

Their key concern is not the topic they are discussing; their key concern is who they absolutely insist they want to discuss it with.

And they just don't seem to be able to leave them alone!

And are clearly not going to back off unless and until either those HYP people have publicly abandoned their HYPs and admitted they were wrong all along, or those running the HYPs have just got so fed up with the irritation they just decide to move somewhere else entirely (or like me, just don't bother frequenting the board anything like I used to, and just get on with running my own portfolio entirely myself without using internet discussion boards anything like as much).

Right now, they could quite happily post on HYP-S and be completely within all moderation guidelines. But oh no, they want to post on the board where people are actually trying to get on with running their HYPs.

That's the crux of the problem... a few posters clearly just want to keep harassing those running their HYPs and constantly wear them down, grind them down, until such time they achieve a "win" and people abandon their HYPs.

That's the essence of the problem here.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 17th, 2020, 12:49 pm

onthemove wrote:
Wizard wrote:However, IMHO, this creates a problem. An HYP investor may want to talk about the financial results of SSE, as is currently taking place, because there are views on the sustainability of that dividend which would be of interest to an HYP investor. But an interest in the sustainability of the SSE dividend is not of interest to only an HYP investor, that discussion is not unique to how an HYP investor manages their investments. When a thread on HYP-P starts to engage in a discussion of the sustainability of SSE's dividend, as far as I can see those who are not HYP investors have only three choices:

If non-HYP investors inhabited other boards more appropriate for their interests there wouldn't be a problem.

They wouldn't even seen the HYP related discussion of it, they'd already be discussing SSE's results in the non-HYP places they inhabit. And those discussions on other boards can even include sustainability of the dividend or otherwise.

There'd be no problem what-so-ever.

Non-HYP posters are (I believe) perfectly welcome to discuss the financial aspects of shares that might happen to be HYP shares, on other boards.

Why, oh, why, oh why are a number of non-HYP posters so obsessed with being able to discuss non-HYP aspects of shares SPECIFICALLY ON the HYP-practical board, when they have already clearly and unambiguously stated they have no interest in running a HYP?

Why, oh, why, oh why?!!!

Here's a 'thought experiment'...

-o- Create a new board for those who want to run their HYPs without interruption from people who are not bought into the HYP camp (Let's call it 'HYP-not-another-bloomin-board'). Those currently posting on and within the HYP-P guidelines can all decamp over to the new board.

-o- Then let the current posters obsessed with wanting to post on HYP-practical post what the heck they want on the existing HYP-practical board

Then let me guess...

All of a sudden those posters currently ranting about wanting to post on HYP-P would then want to infiltrate the new board, and would no longer be happy posting on the existing board they so desperately want to post on at this moment in time.

The essence of the problem isn't the subject - those non-HYP posters can post and discuss what they want on other boards.

So no amount of modification of board guidelines is going to resolve this issue.

The problem is that a handful of non-HYP people are obsessed with discussing their aversion to HYP with the very people who are actually running their HYPs.

Their key concern is not the topic they are discussing; their key concern is who they absolutely insist they want to discuss it with.

And they just don't seem to be able to leave them alone!

And are clearly not going to back off unless and until either those HYP people have publicly abandoned their HYPs and admitted they were wrong all along, or those running the HYPs have just got so fed up with the irritation they just decide to move somewhere else entirely (or like me, just don't bother frequenting the board anything like I used to, and just get on with running my own portfolio entirely myself without using internet discussion boards anything like as much).

Right now, they could quite happily post on HYP-S and be completely within all moderation guidelines. But oh no, they want to post on the board where people are actually trying to get on with running their HYPs.

That's the crux of the problem... a few posters clearly just want to keep harassing those running their HYPs and constantly wear them down, grind them down, until such time they achieve a "win" and people abandon their HYPs.

I am not an HYP investor, I follow the guidelines and do not post on HYP-P. I tried HYP and was not happy with the outcome. I have no desire to post on a board about running an HYP. Others run HYPs are happy with the outcome and continue to pursue the approach and therefore to discuss it. But when discussing the merits of a share more generally I personally feel the discussion would be improved by all views about it being able to be expressed in a single discussion, which to comply with the guidelines needs to be somewhere other than HYP-P. I believe others would prefer to have a separate discussion amongst those who follow the same approach they do and for those who do not follow their approach to discuss the share elsewhere. The site seems to be set up to operate by the latter model, other than where some who are not HYP investors chose to post on HYP-P because they either interpret the guidance differently to me or have decided not to follow it. I think that is sub optimal but it is just the way it is.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 17th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Alaric wrote:

I really do not understand the point here. Why not? Discussing whether a share can support its dividend, or how it does so: which guideline does that offend?

Arb.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » June 17th, 2020, 1:01 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I really do not understand the point here. Why not? Discussing whether a share can support its dividend, or how it does so: which guideline does that offend?

It's part of the selection process to sort shares by dividend yield. That's likely to throw up shares where the dividend isn't supported. Saying so is being critical of the selection process and thus of HYP in general, particularly where dividend yield is treated as the primary driver for selection.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 17th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Alaric wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I really do not understand the point here. Why not? Discussing whether a share can support its dividend, or how it does so: which guideline does that offend?

It's part of the selection process to sort shares by dividend yield. That's likely to throw up shares where the dividend isn't supported. Saying so is being critical of the selection process and thus of HYP in general, particularly where dividend yield is treated as the primary driver for selection.

I am not an HYP investor but even I can see how wrong that is. Looking at yield is one factor, sustainability is another. Expressing the view that a share’s dividend is not sustainable is a comment about the share not about HYP as an approach. You seem intent on picking a fight, but the efforts to do so are becoming spurious.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » June 17th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Wizard wrote:I am not an HYP investor, I follow the guidelines and do not post on HYP-P. I tried HYP and was not happy with the outcome. I have no desire to post on a board about running an HYP.

So to any normal, rational person, there is apparently no problem here

You are not an HYP investor, you do not post on HYP-P and you have no desire to post on HYP-P

And yet for some inexplicable reason you seem to be front and centre in all discussions related to such board, and when you do post on other boards, you certainly make no hiding the fact that you clearly have some sort of bee in your bonnet about not posting on HYP-P.

Wizard wrote: I tried HYP and was not happy with the outcome.

Just for clarification to others...

When you said you tried HYP, my encounter with you on HYP-P was that you were reluctant to buy when the market was low. Others at the time were following the mechanical HYP strategy and still following the HYP 'rules' and topping up as normal, but you expressed that you weren't confident about buying, so didn't top up your HYP while prices were low.

Fair enough - you are absolutely entitled to invest how you wish.

But let's be clear, you weren't following the strict HYP at that point. You weren't getting the pound cost averaging benefit of buying low in a crisis.

Further more, when you then evaluated your portfolio …
viewtopic.php?p=306796#p306796

You only compared it against bonds and preference shares.

Fair enough - if that's how you want to evaluate it, I won't try to change you mind. But others might be interested to understand.

You acknowledge you were buying prefs back all the way in the banking crisis when they were being discussed on TMF, so it would be unreasonable to believe that you don't understand what they are.

But equally, it seems unfathomable that someone would seemingly run an experimental HYP (not withstanding they don't mechanically stick to the top up rules during market stress)..

...and then evaluate it during the worst economic downturn in a very long time, and then only evaluate it againt bonds and prefs.

When you understand what prefs and bonds are - which you clearly do - it's unfathomable why'd you'd run an HYP experiment and then only evaluate it against bonds and prefs, and during the worst downturn in a long time.

You already know up front that bonds and prefs rank higher in the priority order in the event of companies hitting problems.

So during times of market stress it would be completely unexpected for ordinary shares to outperform bonds or prefs.

So I hope you'll excuse me if I take with a large pinch of salt, your claim that you ran a HYP and on the basis of it's performance during the worst downturn in a long time, evaluated only against bonds and prefs - which shouldn't have come as any surprise in the circumstances - you then decided it wasn't for you.

There was absolutely no need to run an experiment to prove what should have been obvious to you from before you even started - that ordinary shares of any kind - not just HYP - will do worse than bonds or prefs in a significant economic downturn

Not that you really followed the HYP properly - you chose to avoid buying HYP shares cheap at times of market downturn. With HYP it's often said the time to buy is now. But you didn't. So you weren't really running an HYP.

Obviously, you can manage your portfolio and money as you choose, and I have no desire to change your mind in any way shape or form.

I just point out the above information to help any others understand the background behind your statement that for you an HYP didn't work out.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » June 17th, 2020, 1:38 pm

onthemove wrote:Not that you really followed the HYP properly - you chose to avoid buying HYP shares cheap at times of market downturn. With HYP it's often said the time to buy is now. But you didn't. So you weren't really running an HYP.

Isn't that getting a bit religious? HYP didn't appear to work because the true path wasn't followed.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » June 17th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Alaric wrote:
onthemove wrote:Not that you really followed the HYP properly - you chose to avoid buying HYP shares cheap at times of market downturn. With HYP it's often said the time to buy is now. But you didn't. So you weren't really running an HYP.

Isn't that getting a bit religious? HYP didn't appear to work because the true path wasn't followed.

I've previously stated that I don't like football, that it isn't for me.

Incase you were wondering, it's because I tried it, and didn't find the bat and ball too appealing, nor did I like the bowler bowling the ball towards me.

So I hope you'll understand why I don't like football.

I tried it, but it just wasn't for me.

Sure, some people might say, but I wasn't playing the right game!... pah! isn't that getting a bit religious!

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » June 17th, 2020, 1:47 pm

onthemove wrote:

But also some PYAD HYPers want to evangelise the PYAD HYP on the practical board and have objected to making it a gated board because it would take away their opportunity to do so.

There is no other reason to object to making the practical board a gated board and do away with all this pointless nonsense for good.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 17th, 2020, 1:50 pm

onthemove wrote:
Wizard wrote:I am not an HYP investor, I follow the guidelines and do not post on HYP-P. I tried HYP and was not happy with the outcome. I have no desire to post on a board about running an HYP.

So to any normal, rational person, there is apparently no problem here

You are not an HYP investor, you do not post on HYP-P and you have no desire to post on HYP-P

And yet for some inexplicable reason you seem to be front and centre in all discussions related to such board, and when you do post on other boards, you certainly make no hiding the fact that you clearly have some sort of bee in your bonnet about not posting on HYP-P.

Wizard wrote: I tried HYP and was not happy with the outcome.

Just for clarification to others...

When you said you tried HYP, my encounter with you on HYP-P was that you were reluctant to buy when the market was low. Others at the time were following the mechanical HYP strategy and still following the HYP 'rules' and topping up as normal, but you expressed that you weren't confident about buying, so didn't top up your HYP while prices were low.

Fair enough - you are absolutely entitled to invest how you wish.

But let's be clear, you weren't following the strict HYP at that point. You weren't getting the pound cost averaging benefit of buying low in a crisis.

Further more, when you then evaluated your portfolio …
viewtopic.php?p=306796#p306796

You only compared it against bonds and preference shares.

Fair enough - if that's how you want to evaluate it, I won't try to change you mind. But others might be interested to understand.

You acknowledge you were buying prefs back all the way in the banking crisis when they were being discussed on TMF, so it would be unreasonable to believe that you don't understand what they are.

But equally, it seems unfathomable that someone would seemingly run an experimental HYP (not withstanding they don't mechanically stick to the top up rules during market stress)..

...and then evaluate it during the worst economic downturn in a very long time, and then only evaluate it againt bonds and prefs.

When you understand what prefs and bonds are - which you clearly do - it's unfathomable why'd you'd run an HYP experiment and then only evaluate it against bonds and prefs, and during the worst downturn in a long time.

You already know up front that bonds and prefs rank higher in the priority order in the event of companies hitting problems.

So during times of market stress it would be completely unexpected for ordinary shares to outperform bonds or prefs.

So I hope you'll excuse me if I take with a large pinch of salt, your claim that you ran a HYP and on the basis of it's performance during the worst downturn in a long time, evaluated only against bonds and prefs - which shouldn't have come as any surprise in the circumstances - you then decided it wasn't for you.

There was absolutely no need to run an experiment to prove what should have been obvious to you from before you even started - that ordinary shares of any kind - not just HYP - will do worse than bonds or prefs in a significant economic downturn

Not that you really followed the HYP properly - you chose to avoid buying HYP shares cheap at times of market downturn. With HYP it's often said the time to buy is now. But you didn't. So you weren't really running an HYP.

Obviously, you can manage your portfolio and money as you choose, and I have no desire to change your mind in any way shape or form.

I just point out the above information to help any others understand the background behind your statement that for you an HYP didn't work out.

There is no point arguing this all over again. I clearly deeply offended you in the past, I am sorry for that. I am moving on.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » June 17th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Wizard wrote: I am moving on.

If only....

(I mean, you say you've decided against an HYP... fair enough, your choice!... but then why the need to involve yourself at all in discussions about a board dedicated to HYP investors! Why not move on! You've made your decision, other's have made theirs. Each inhabit their separate boards! Everyone happy)
Last edited by onthemove on June 17th, 2020, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 17th, 2020, 1:52 pm

Wizard wrote:
* I have just read the guidelines again, a few times. It is clear that the guidelines do not preclude the discussion of a share in a wider context than I would perceive to be the practical management of an HYP. However, IMHO, this creates a problem. An HYP investor may want to talk about the financial results of SSE, as is currently taking place, because there are views on the sustainability of that dividend which would be of interest to an HYP investor. But an interest in the sustainability of the SSE dividend is not of interest to only an HYP investor, that discussion is not unique to how an HYP investor manages their investments. When a thread on HYP-P starts to engage in a discussion of the sustainability of SSE's dividend, as far as I can see those who are not HYP investors have only three choices: withhold any contribution they may have; quote the thread in HYP-P in a new thread somewhere else, such as HYS&S; or, ignore the fact the guidelines say they should not post on HYP-P and post there anyway.

I sometimes get the feeling that you are over-thinking the situation and maybe making problems where they exist only in theory. Or at the least, if they do exist in practice, they aren't by any means insuperable.

As regards the case specified, I would say - so what? Anyone interested in a discussion of SSE and easily start one on another board, and he/she woudl be free to cut and past or cross reference if needed. In my view, it really isn't a problem except if you make it one.
This stems from the rule about not posting unless one is a HYP investor, which I seem to remember was a rule you did not mind in an earlier discussion - the one where I pointed out the disadvantage of such a rule and you suggested I should accept it and let it "bed in".

Arb.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 17th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Stonge wrote:
onthemove wrote:

But also some PYAD HYPers want to evangelise the PYAD HYP on the practical board and have objected to making it a gated board because it would take away their opportunity to do so.

There is no other reason to object to making the practical board a gated board and do away with all this pointless nonsense for good.

At least we are having these rambling arguments confined to here now, instead of on HYP-P! That seems like an improvement to me - the arguments are being "coralled" on to here.
BTW, for what it's worth, I'd object strongly to HYP-P being "gated" - it's a sure way to choke of any new posters when the need is to attract them. It may not choke them off entirely, of course, but it would reduce the intake to be sure. And actually, it is simply not necessary now with the rule change. The agitation which was once there has ceased, at least for the moment. Most people writing on HYP-P - you may or may not have noticed - are far from strictly Pyadic HYPers. In fact, I'm not sure I know any which are absolutely strict! Except, perhaps the experimental HYP1 which is running as a "dummy".

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 17th, 2020, 2:03 pm

onthemove wrote:

If only....

(I mean, you say you've decided against an HYP... fair enough, your choice!... but then why the need to involve yourself at all in discussions about a board dedicated to HYP investors! Why not move on! You've made your decision, other's have made theirs. Each inhabit their separate boards! Everyone happy)

Yes, what you've pointed out seems a complete mystery to me also. In the wider world one might call this "poking your nose into someone else's business" and would certainly be frowned upon.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 17th, 2020, 2:15 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Wizard wrote:
* I have just read the guidelines again, a few times. It is clear that the guidelines do not preclude the discussion of a share in a wider context than I would perceive to be the practical management of an HYP. However, IMHO, this creates a problem. An HYP investor may want to talk about the financial results of SSE, as is currently taking place, because there are views on the sustainability of that dividend which would be of interest to an HYP investor. But an interest in the sustainability of the SSE dividend is not of interest to only an HYP investor, that discussion is not unique to how an HYP investor manages their investments. When a thread on HYP-P starts to engage in a discussion of the sustainability of SSE's dividend, as far as I can see those who are not HYP investors have only three choices: withhold any contribution they may have; quote the thread in HYP-P in a new thread somewhere else, such as HYS&S; or, ignore the fact the guidelines say they should not post on HYP-P and post there anyway.

I sometimes get the feeling that you are over-thinking the situation and maybe making problems where they exist only in theory. Or at the least, if they do exist in practice, they aren't by any means insuperable.

As regards the case specified, I would say - so what? Anyone interested in a discussion of SSE and easily start one on another board, and he/she woudl be free to cut and past or cross reference if needed. In my view, it really isn't a problem except if you make it one.
This stems from the rule about not posting unless one is a HYP investor, which I seem to remember was a rule you did not mind in an earlier discussion - the one where I pointed out the disadvantage of such a rule and you suggested I should accept it and let it "bed in".

Arb.

Arb.

Indeed, that is the case. But I guess it is because we come from a different place within different preferences for the way things operate. You were concerned that sentence would "hollow out" HYP-P which you thought would be negative, so you wanted that sentence changed. I thought that sentence would mean more discussion on boards other than HYP-P. While we described it differently we both thought the outcome would be fewer posts on HYP-P, you thought that was a bad thing, I thought it was a good thing. What has actually happened is that the sentence in question has actually had only a limited impact as some who are not HYP investors seem to be happy to ignore it. What you feared is not really coming to pass, that means what I hoped for is not either. I think that is in part because I expected moderators to uphold that rule and those who are well known not to be HYP investors would be stopped from posting on HYP-P, but that has not happened as far as I can see. As the new guidelines are not being enforced there is not really anything to "bed in".

Maybe I am over thinking things, but as you may recall I had already said I would no longer post on HYP-P as I found the way the board operates unfathomable. Maybe that is just me, maybe I have a blind spot around this for some reason. But as I said earlier today, ultimately IMHO the new guidelines would appear to have changed very little, other than that a small (and probably over time dwindling) number of non HYP investors won't post on HYP-P. It will remain the case that most discussion of shares with (or which may have had in the past) a decent yield will be on HYP-P. As I own some of these shares I have an interest in them so will read some threads on HYP-P, but I am unlikely to comment.

In the end we wanted different things. It seems you got what you wanted and I did not, such is life.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 17th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
onthemove wrote:

If only....

Yes, what you've pointed out seems a complete mystery to me also. In the wider world one might call this "poking your nose into someone else's business" and would certainly be frowned upon.

Or alternatively "trying to make the world a better place", typically applauded. Which one of those somebody thinks it is will of course be conditioned by their own views. :lol:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 17th, 2020, 6:54 pm

Wizard wrote:
In the end we wanted different things. It seems you got what you wanted and I did not, such is life.

I'm not sure about that, except that for the moment there does seem less controversy on the board, so that can't be a bad thing. And if the HYP-curious make relevant comments, I'm happy with that too even if they don't own HYPs. On the other hand, you might in time find you get what you wanted - more posts on HYSS.
Hopefully we will find both boards achieve an increase in posting, and positive posting at that, - then we will truly both be winners.

Arb.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”