Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The demise (or otherwise) of The Polite Discussion Board

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: The demise (or otherwise) of The Polite Discussion Board

Postby Lootman » January 23rd, 2021, 1:51 pm

SteMiS wrote:
Lootman wrote:
SteMiS wrote:The truth is that TLF isn't a major player in the investment discussion board world. I've posted a few times on investment related topics (I'm a full time non retired private investor) but there generally isn't much response (unless you are strict HYP devotee). A list of the top boards would be dominated by non finance discussion.

By my calculation you have posted 67 times to investment boards. Out of 3,106 posts in total. The vast majority of the difference between those two numbers will be your contributions to PD which, on face value, comprise about 98% of your total posts. So readers can certainly understand that you are perhaps more vested in its continuation than most here.

The mistake you are making is assuming that TLF is the only place I post, or even the only place I post on non finance related matters (although interesting that you took the trouble to trawl through my posting history to make some sort of ad hominem 'point' about my motivation). If TLF disappeared, it wouldn't materially affect my life.

I did not trawl through anything. I found those numbers with one click.

And I did not make the "mistake" of thinking that you never posted elsewhere. In fact I did not comment about that at all. I did mention that I do not post elsewhere. I actually assumed that you did post elsewhere. Just an intuition.

Nothing "ad hominem" in my remarks either.

SteMiS wrote:
Lootman wrote:
SteMiS wrote:I am personally identifiable; I've posted stuff about myself and linked to my twitter account (which is in my name but the @ is my TLF user id, same as my TMF). I'm not sure why people get so secretive about it all.

Given that you have heard various arguments from others here about the desirability of anonymity, what do see as the benefit of revealing your true identity? Not that you really have unless a Twitter handle counts (and I did not know about that).

Not criticising; just curious. Do you think it adds credibility?

I actually changed my name on twitter after a discussion about people hiding behind anonymous profiles. I didn't want to be one of those people.

"Those people"? Wow. So anyone who chooses not to reveal their real identity online (i.e. 99% of your fellow Lemons) is "one of those people"?

For the record I would also say to your face everything I say here anonymously. Whether I use my real name or not has nothing to do with that.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 23rd, 2021, 4:04 pm

Lootman wrote:
SteMiS wrote:
Lootman wrote:By my calculation you have posted 67 times to investment boards. Out of 3,106 posts in total. The vast majority of the difference between those two numbers will be your contributions to PD which, on face value, comprise about 98% of your total posts. So readers can certainly understand that you are perhaps more vested in its continuation than most here.

The mistake you are making is assuming that TLF is the only place I post, or even the only place I post on non finance related matters (although interesting that you took the trouble to trawl through my posting history to make some sort of ad hominem 'point' about my motivation). If TLF disappeared, it wouldn't materially affect my life.

I did not trawl through anything. I found those numbers with one click.

And I did not make the "mistake" of thinking that you never posted elsewhere. In fact I did not comment about that at all. I did mention that I do not post elsewhere. I actually assumed that you did post elsewhere. Just an intuition.

Nothing "ad hominem" in my remarks either.

SteMiS wrote:
Lootman wrote:Given that you have heard various arguments from others here about the desirability of anonymity, what do see as the benefit of revealing your true identity? Not that you really have unless a Twitter handle counts (and I did not know about that).

Not criticising; just curious. Do you think it adds credibility?

I actually changed my name on twitter after a discussion about people hiding behind anonymous profiles. I didn't want to be one of those people.

"Those people"? Wow. So anyone who chooses not to reveal their real identity online (i.e. 99% of your fellow Lemons) is "one of those people"?

For the record I would also say to your face everything I say here anonymously. Whether I use my real name or not has nothing to do with that.

...and PD is back.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 23rd, 2021, 4:09 pm

BobbyD wrote:...and PD is back.

You can't keep a PinkDalek down. :D

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 23rd, 2021, 5:15 pm

Lootman wrote:....it meant you had to research the topic ahead of time AND be willing and able to argue for either side of the motion.

Is this what's known as transmoralism ?
As practiced by Johnson B...

V8

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 23rd, 2021, 5:25 pm

88V8 wrote:
Lootman wrote:....it meant you had to research the topic ahead of time AND be willing and able to argue for either side of the motion.

Is this what's known as transmoralism ?

As practiced by Johnson B...

That is not a term or concept I am familiar with. But if I understand you correctly it means not being ideologically wed to any given position, being able to see both sides of an issue, and making decisions on a pragmatic basis.

It would be fun and illuminating if, say, a devout Remainer here was made to argue sincerely and convincingly for Brexit. Or vice versa of course. It can be educational to walk in the shoes of those with whom we disagree.

Fat chance of that here, of course, where political discussions are more like two rival crowds of football supporters chanting at each other.

BellaHubby
Lemon Pip

Postby BellaHubby » January 23rd, 2021, 6:06 pm

Lootman wrote:Fat chance of that here, of course, where political discussions are more like two rival crowds of football supporters chanting at each other.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”