Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Posts deleted without comment

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Posts deleted without comment

Postby dealtn » January 29th, 2021, 12:16 pm

XFool wrote:
dealtn wrote:
XFool wrote:Many potentially interesting discussions simply cannot be had on TLF, because of this highly artificial categorisation of 'political'.
Since I am not a party to this very TLF definition of what is and what is not 'political' I never feel confident any post of mine on any topic will ever satisfy TLF Rules of posting. Perhaps one should simply stick to posting about something like gardening?

XFool

Or maybe ... ?

The Lemon Fool

Shares, Investment and Personal Finance Discussion Forums

The clue is in the site's tagline.

OK. Then delete ALL BOARDS that are not strictly: Shares, Investment and Personal Finance Discussion Forums

I guess that's an option, but it's not my site, or preference.

Here is the right place to propose, or discuss, such though.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 29th, 2021, 12:18 pm

XFool wrote:
dealtn wrote:
XFool wrote:
Many potentially interesting discussions simply cannot be had on TLF, because of this highly artificial categorisation of 'political'.

Since I am not a party to this very TLF definition of what is and what is not 'political' I never feel confident any post of mine on any topic will ever satisfy TLF Rules of posting. Perhaps one should simply stick to posting about something like gardening?

Or maybe ... ?

The Lemon Fool

OK. Then delete ALL BOARDS that are not strictly: Shares, Investment and Personal Finance Discussion Forums

But that would spoil those more general boards for the 99.99% of posters who are able to enjoy the use of them in a community-minded way, within both the letter and the spirit of the current guidelines....

Far easier to just stringently deal with the 0.001% of the posters who, for some reason, find it regularly difficult to do that, wouldn't you agree?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 29th, 2021, 12:22 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote: I also feel more than miffed when a post is removed and I am not informed. But I've managed to convince myself that the moderators time is worth more to them than my feelings about a bulletin board post.

I completely understand John's point. I too have had a post removed without explanation. And I too felt very negatively about it. But, after I calmed myself down I managed to accept it was kinder for me and the moderator to move on and leave the subject behind. Life's too short.

AiY

I quite agree with all you wrote. Just a further thought to throw into the pot: Moderators have feelings too!
If I am hurt, I have to remember that they may also be hurt by having some moany old poster picking holes in their efforts - efforts which are for the good of all of us.
I apologise if I have been one of those who occasionally forget we are asking volunteers to do this to enable everyone else to have a well run board.

Arb.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 29th, 2021, 12:25 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote: I also feel more than miffed when a post is removed and I am not informed. But I've managed to convince myself that the moderators time is worth more to them than my feelings about a bulletin board post.

I completely understand John's point. I too have had a post removed without explanation. And I too felt very negatively about it. But, after I calmed myself down I managed to accept it was kinder for me and the moderator to move on and leave the subject behind. Life's too short.

AiY

I quite agree with all you wrote. Just a further thought to throw into the pot: Moderators have feelings too!
If I am hurt, I have to remember that they may also be hurt by having some moany old poster picking holes in their efforts - efforts which are for the good of all of us.
I apologise if I have been one of those who occasionally forget we are asking volunteers to do this to enable everyone else to have a well run board.

Arb.

They do yes. And I too offer my apologies for my transgressions.

AiY

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » January 29th, 2021, 12:28 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Far easier to just stringently deal with the 0.001% of the posters who, for some reason, find it regularly difficult to do that, wouldn't you agree?

No, I wouldn't. Just how do you go about dealing with approximately 1/42nd of a poster? ;-)

Gengulphus

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » January 29th, 2021, 12:37 pm

SteMiS wrote:I don't see that it's that hard of time consuming to send a message (including a copy of the post) saying that the post has been deleted for reason X with the proviso that the moderators are not obliged to enter into a dialogue about the deletion. That would at least allow the poster to amend and repost without having to re-do all the work.

SteMis,

In almost all cases (and certainly whenever an ordinary moderator like me deletes a post), the text is easily recoverable.

Send a mod a message, and we can provide you with the text.

MDW1954

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 29th, 2021, 12:49 pm

dealtn wrote:
XFool wrote:
dealtn wrote:Or maybe ... ?

The Lemon Fool

Then what was the point of your post?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 29th, 2021, 12:51 pm

XFool wrote:
dealtn wrote:
XFool wrote:OK. Then delete ALL BOARDS that are not strictly: Shares, Investment and Personal Finance Discussion Forums

To point out, on this site in particular, that if you were to be restricted in making "non-political" posts, the refuge of gardening as a topic, shouldn't be the first, or only, port of call.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 29th, 2021, 12:58 pm

dealtn wrote:
XFool wrote:
dealtn wrote:I guess that's an option, but it's not my site, or preference.

To point out, on this site in particular, that if you were to be restricted in making "non-political" posts, the refuge of gardening as a topic, shouldn't be the first, or only, port of call.

Once again, we are returned to the problem of what is the definition of a "political post" on TLF. Perhaps that should be "whose definition"...

Unless there is one, agreed, fully understood definition of what this is on TLF - common between all moderators and also members - is it is going to forever remain impossible to know for sure what is a "non political-post".

At least, that is how I see it.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » January 29th, 2021, 1:15 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
SteMiS wrote:I don't see that it's that hard of time consuming to send a message (including a copy of the post) saying that the post has been deleted for reason X with the proviso that the moderators are not obliged to enter into a dialogue about the deletion. That would at least allow the poster to amend and repost without having to re-do all the work.

SteMis,

In almost all cases (and certainly whenever an ordinary moderator like me deletes a post), the text is easily recoverable.

MDW1954

But if there has been no notification how do you know who to PM?

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » January 29th, 2021, 1:36 pm

swill453 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Once programmed in, it would be no effort whatever from Team Mod if the forum software was to notify a poster of a deletion, just as used to happen on TMF.

I think if that was (relatively) easy, it would have been done a long time ago, given that it's been talked/complained about for years.

Scott.

A quick Google took me to the Extension Requests area of the phpBB forum (the software this board uses). It looks as if this has been asked for in the past, but not (AFAIK) developed)

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 29th, 2021, 1:59 pm

Wizard wrote:But if there has been no notification how do you know who to PM?
This is a good point. It makes it all the more important, if the poster hasn't already been warned, to leave some clue as to who deleted/edited the post. C.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » January 29th, 2021, 2:03 pm

Wizard wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:In almost all cases (and certainly whenever an ordinary moderator like me deletes a post), the text is easily recoverable.

MDW1954 only said "a mod", so presumably any of the mods would do. That also fits in with something I've been told in the past in a PM, that when moderators view a thread, they can see the deleted posts (I wasn't told how they see them - a couple of possibilities that strike me are that they appear against e.g. a red background to indicate that they've been deleted, or that they appear as a "Deleted post - click to open" button, but there are probably quite a few other possibilities). That presumably only applies to soft-deleted posts - hard-deleted ones are presumably the exceptions that led MDW1954 to say "almost all cases".

You probably do need to be able to tell the moderator reasonably accurately where the deleted post was.

Gengulphus

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 29th, 2021, 3:31 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
Wizard wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:In almost all cases (and certainly whenever an ordinary moderator like me deletes a post), the text is easily recoverable.

MDW1954 only said "a mod", so presumably any of the mods would do.

Not all moderators can do that, only those who are allocated to that particular board. I cannot moderate this board, for example but, on the ones which I do moderate, I can see that posts have been deleted and also read them.

TJH

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 29th, 2021, 3:48 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Not all moderators can do that, only those who are allocated to that particular board. I cannot moderate this board, for example but, on the ones which I do moderate, I can see that posts have been deleted and also read them.

Is there a (public) list somewhere, where we can see who moderates what?

(If not, can I suggest there should be one?)

Scott.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 29th, 2021, 3:52 pm

A good job that Thomas Mann isn't still around, as he wouldn't get very far if he applied to join TLF. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Mann

Paul Thomas Mann (UK: /ˈmæn/ MAN, US: /ˈmɑːn/ MAHN; German: [ˈpaʊ̯l ˈtoːmas ˈman]; 6 June 1875 – 12 August 1955) was a German novelist, short story writer, social critic, philanthropist, essayist, and the 1929 Nobel Prize in Literature laureate. His highly symbolic and ironic epic novels and novellas are noted for their insight into the psychology of the artist and the intellectual.

"Everything is politics" - Thomas Mann

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » January 29th, 2021, 4:07 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:
Wizard wrote:But if there has been no notification how do you know who to PM?

MDW1954 only said "a mod", so presumably any of the mods would do.

Not all moderators can do that, only those who are allocated to that particular board. I cannot moderate this board, for example but, on the ones which I do moderate, I can see that posts have been deleted and also read them.

Thanks. So basically you need to identify a moderator for the board the post was on, which you can do as long as you can find a reasonably recent "Moderator Message" on that board in which the moderator has identified themselves. Not necessarily easy, but it should usually be a lot easier than identifying the specific moderator who deleted a particular post.

Gengulphus

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 29th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:MDW1954 only said "a mod", so presumably any of the mods would do.

Thanks. So basically you need to identify a moderator for the board the post was on, which you can do as long as you can find a reasonably recent "Moderator Message" on that board in which the moderator has identified themselves. Not necessarily easy, but it should usually be a lot easier than identifying the specific moderator who deleted a particular post.

Gengulphus

I think there's two exceptional points to draw down on here

The first is could we put this on the quiz board - "Identify the Mod"

The second is if we had someone who could work with probability theory or the like we could know what the odds are of finding a mods comments in a post on a particular board.

AiY
All the above just tongue in cheek :) (My bad :lol: )

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 29th, 2021, 4:30 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:MDW1954 only said "a mod", so presumably any of the mods would do.

Thanks. So basically you need to identify a moderator for the board the post was on...
Any moderator will do. We just pass these on to one/all of the applicable moderators. I make it sound like this often happens, it doesn't. In my case about three times since the site opened. C.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 29th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Gengulphus wrote:One particular area where that feedback would be useful is to do with the site rule "Robust debate is allowed, but it must remain polite and respectful at all times. Stick to the facts and argue the points discussed, rather than criticise the poster." People's opinions can differ markedly on whether a post is commenting ad hominem / personally / critically, I think mainly because some interpret comments as doing that only if they clearly attack the poster, while others also do so if they're only being dismissive about the poster's arguments on the basis of who posted them. E.g. a comment along "Well, you would say that, wouldn't you - you're successful and well off." lines wouldn't strike the former group as breaking the rule - calling someone successful and well off isn't criticising them! Or at least, it isn't if you only pay attention to the very commonly-used meaning of 'criticise' as meaning 'comment adversely on' and if you don't notice or disregard the implication of being blind to concerns that matter to less successful and not so well off people - and the latter group don't do at least one of those things, possibly paying attention to the alternative meaning of 'criticise' as 'comment analytically on', so e.g. a film critic criticises a film regardless of whether their review ends up slating the film or being a glowing review.

That's not intended to ask for a resolution of such differences of interpretation here, but just to say that they do exist (***) and there's very little in the way of effective feedback from moderators to help users learn what the moderators' standards are on such matters. There is often feedback in the form of a post disappearing or being edited with the addition of a moderator message saying that an edit has been done and why - but it's hardly effective feedback because (a) it may never be noticed by the users who posted the offending comments, who are probably mainly (or even exclusively) reading new posts in the thread, not re-reading old ones; (b) even if it is noticed, the poster may not remember want the offending comments were in enough detail to see how they offended and thus learn what not to do again.
(***) As a recent piece of evidence that such differences of interpretation exist among TLF users, see the exchange in the first section of

viewtopic.php?p=379952#p379952.

There is one way of knowing where that line is drawn, even if you are not informed every time your post is removed and so you do not realise. If when you post something that is in the grey area between obviously ad hominem and obviously not, then you can make a point of looking back at that post a few hours later, and/or a day or two later, and see if it is still there. One case would prove nothing, and of course different Mods may assess the same thing differently. But over a long period of time one should be able to form a reasonable judgement about what is allowed and what is not.

That assumes you know which posts of yours are in that grey area, but I believe that most of us know when we are taking some risk versus no risk. And pushing a line is a good way of learning where that line is, if you are not otherwise clear. Ask any two year old.

Of course a post may just remain because nobody reported it, but even then one might reasonably assume that if nobody disliked it enough to report it, then it cannot be that bad. Whilst if nobody read it then ultimately it doesn't matter either way.

Also, if someone else accuses you of making an as hominem post, as in the example you cited, then one can always choose to simply explain why in fact it is not ad hominem, rather than submitting the matter for arbitration.

Your example of "well, you would say that, wouldn't you?" is a good example of the grey area. On the face of it, it is dismissing someone's comment on the basis of who is making it rather than on the basis of its content. But then if someone has an ulterior motive for saying something, it can be useful to have that pointed out to enable context.

For example, on an investment board, If I assert that share XYZ is a great investment that Lemons should buy, and you recall that I have revealed in the past that I own it and have pumped it regularly, then you can reasonably accuse me of "talking my book" rather than providing an objective analysis. I think such a "personal" criticism should stand. After all, I would say that, wouldn't I? :D

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”