Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Is it possible to discuss and consider the progress of the Current News & Affairs Board please

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Is it possible to discuss and consider the progress of the Current News & Affairs Board please

Postby swill453 » May 25th, 2021, 5:43 pm

I subscribe to any forums (boards) that I'm interested in. I have a bookmark set to /ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=subscribed which shows all my subscribed forums, with a red icon next to any that have topics (threads) with unread posts in them.

Most of the time, however, I use the Notifications dropdown which will take me directly to unread posts in topics in subscribed forums. The number after Notifications shows me how many topics have unread posts.

This means I can easily ignore (not look at) forums I'm not interested in.

Scott.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Re: Is it possible to discuss and consider the progress of the Current News & Affairs Board please

Postby JohnB » May 25th, 2021, 5:57 pm

I would like to mark threads and whole boards as ignored, so the new posts view was less cluttered. As i never read CAN, hiding that would be a step towards that

And I never want to see Hurricane energy either....

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 25th, 2021, 6:38 pm

Clariman wrote:I just look at the main page that lists all forums and check to see if the icon beside the ones I like shows that there are new posts (red). If there are, I open that board and use the same feature to tell me which topics have new posts. I ignore the ones I'm not interested in but read those that do interest me. What could be easier?

Since you ask... :-)

It would be slightly easier to subscribe to the forums that interest you and not to the ones that don't, and use ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=subscribed as your 'entry point' rather than index.php. That way, you just click on all the red icons, rather than having to pick out the ones next to forums you like from among all the red icons. I.e. basically, doing that gets the phpBB software to do the repetitive picking out of forums you like for you.

Gengulphus

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 25th, 2021, 6:42 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
Clariman wrote:I just look at the main page that lists all forums and check to see if the icon beside the ones I like shows that there are new posts (red). If there are, I open that board and use the same feature to tell me which topics have new posts. I ignore the ones I'm not interested in but read those that do interest me. What could be easier?

Since you ask... :-)

It would be slightly easier to subscribe to the forums that interest you and not to the ones that don't, and use ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=subscribed as your 'entry point' rather than index.php. That way, you just click on all the red icons, rather than having to pick out the ones next to forums you like from among all the red icons. I.e. basically, doing that gets the phpBB software to do the repetitive picking out of forums you like for you.

Yes, that's pretty much what I described above. It can be extended so you can just work through the notifications you (can) get for new posts in subscribed forums.

Scott.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 25th, 2021, 6:47 pm

Gengulphus wrote:That way, you just click on all the red icons, rather than having to pick out the ones next to forums you like from among all the red icons.

And never again need you risk exposing yourself to any opinions that differ from your own?

Welcome to 2021? ;)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 25th, 2021, 6:52 pm

XFool wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:That way, you just click on all the red icons, rather than having to pick out the ones next to forums you like from among all the red icons.

And never again need you risk exposing yourself to any opinions that differ from your own?

Welcome to 2021? ;)

I get the wink, but subscribing to specific forums doesn't prevent you from being presented with topics containing different opinions.

Scott.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 25th, 2021, 7:23 pm

tjh290633 wrote:The rest, like Laughing Lemons, are not of interest, so I do not read posts there.
Bloody hell. You mean all those jokes I tell about Hophead-loving flying aces have gone to waste? Don't know why I bother! ;)

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 25th, 2021, 7:31 pm

For what it's worth I personally find the absolute best way to see what I want and see, and less of what I don't want to see, is to click on Subscribe forum at the very bottom of all those fora in which I'm particularly interested and then use User Control Panel->Overview->Manage Subscriptions as my "opening page".

This list then acts as the list I "clear" by looking at/reading the lot. If I have more time I then use other methods for browsing.

Chris

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 25th, 2021, 7:56 pm

XFool wrote:

Did it escape you that if Clariman follows my suggestion, he will expose himself to exactly the same set of opinions as he currently does following his stated method? He asked what could be easier than that method, and my suggestion is just a (slightly) easier method of achieving the same results.

Also, did it escape you that significant TLF threads generally contain a variety of opinions and so ensure that you do expose yourself to opinions that differ from your own? And that some of us might use other sources of opinions to expose ourselves to besides TLF? And that there are so many subjects in the world on which people hold opinions, and so many opinions about each one of them, that it's totally impossible for anyone to expose themselves to all of those opinions?

XFool wrote:Welcome to 2021? ;)

Smiley noted, but if 2021 is the year of editing quotes down to remove their context and replying as though that context were something else, I don't want it...

Gengulphus

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 25th, 2021, 8:08 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Also, did it escape you that significant TLF threads generally contain a variety of opinions and so ensure that you do expose yourself to opinions that differ from your own?
Exactly. That is the beauty of these types of boards. If some view is expressed that is sufficiently disagreeable then someone will counter it, and so on, thus eventually providing balance. C.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 25th, 2021, 8:23 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
XFool wrote:

Did it escape you that if Clariman follows my suggestion, he will expose himself to exactly the same set of opinions as he currently does following his stated method? He asked what could be easier than that method, and my suggestion is just a (slightly) easier method of achieving the same results.

Also, did it escape you that significant TLF threads generally contain a variety of opinions and so ensure that you do expose yourself to opinions that differ from your own? And that some of us might use other sources of opinions to expose ourselves to besides TLF? And that there are so many subjects in the world on which people hold opinions, and so many opinions about each one of them, that it's totally impossible for anyone to expose themselves to all of those opinions?

XFool wrote:Welcome to 2021? ;)

Smiley noted, but if 2021 is the year of editing quotes down to remove their context and replying as though that context were something else, I don't want it...

Gengulphus, my apologies if my post offended you. It was in no way intended to be personal, or precise in technical details. It was rather more a reflection of my opinion on the general trend of previous posts relating to political differences of opinion on the CN & A board.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 26th, 2021, 3:23 pm

I think the Board works as well as one can expect.
The Mods may have other thoughts.

Many single-topic fora have Boards where members can let off steam. I used to frequent a busy car club forum which eventually removed the Board in question because it caused so much steam and ill feeling.

AV forums https://www.avforums.com/forums/ has infinitely more members, and one would think that politics has little to do with television and hi-fi, but if you scroll to the bottom you will find Brexit, Politics and other stuff.
They seem to manage OK.

There is a direct connection between Finance/Investment and politics, so to that extent having a Board here does make some sense.

As to reading the forum, I go to the Home page and then just look at the Boards that Interest me. Why would I want to wade through pages of random new posts. One sometimes sees the results of that when people make responses that are ultra vires because they take no cognisance of the Board they are posting on.

Anyway, I do agree with whoever said that CaN is in a way a waste of time. I have commented before that no one's mind was ever changed by posts on a bulletin board. Otoh, it is sometimes interesting to read others' views, even when they are wrong ;)

So, one way and another I think it probably works as well as it can.

V8

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » May 27th, 2021, 10:10 am

Itsallaguess wrote:I strongly believe that more should be done, using the site-tools already available to do so, to promote the things that bring us together, and don't give equal prominence to the regular types of non-financial debates that choose to divide us....

The problem with that is that there are still more Problem reports from HYP than CAN. No-one could argue that HYP isn't "core financial". But I would suggest HYP is very divisive, as the number of PPs suggest. And btw, we don't give the CAN "equal prominence", it is listed below all the financial topics, very deliberately.

As a moderator, I find shifting political debates out of the way into the CAN is much more useful, and acceptable to users, than having to delete them. Deleting such posts/threads, or removing them to a board where some could not see their own posts, generated far more resentment from regular financial posters.

Personally, I avoid the HYP board like the plague. If you don't like the CAN, it's easy for you to avoid that.

Gryff

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » May 27th, 2021, 11:52 am

gryffron wrote: If you don't like the CAN, it's easy for you to avoid that.

Gryff

It was even easier before.
Why not bring back the facility to hide it?

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » May 27th, 2021, 12:08 pm

absolutezero wrote:

Because, as I said, people who had posts forcibly shifted to Polite Discussion were upset because they couldn't see them. They even got notifications on Recs and quotes which said "You cannot see this post" when they clicked on them.

I suppose we could have an opt-OUT, rather than an opt-IN. Which would avoid most of my objections. But why just CAN?

Gryff

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 28th, 2021, 10:43 am

gryffron wrote:
absolutezero wrote:

Because, as I said, people who had posts forcibly shifted to Polite Discussion were upset because they couldn't see them. They even got notifications on Recs and quotes which said "You cannot see this post" when they clicked on them.

That is an interpretation (i.e an opinion). From my pov a somewhat simplistic one.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 28th, 2021, 11:27 am

XFool wrote:
gryffron wrote:
absolutezero wrote:It was even easier before.

That is an interpretation (i.e an opinion). From my pov a somewhat simplistic one.

It's a statement of fact, not opinion. As a piece of evidence of someone who was upset for that reason, see viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26886.

It's not the only reason that people have been upset, of course - but gryffron didn't say it was.

Gengulphus

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 28th, 2021, 11:55 am

Gengulphus wrote:
XFool wrote:
gryffron wrote:Because, as I said, people who had posts forcibly shifted to Polite Discussion were upset because they couldn't see them. They even got notifications on Recs and quotes which said "You cannot see this post" when they clicked on them.

It's a statement of fact, not opinion. As a piece of evidence of someone who was upset for that reason, see viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26886.

It's not the only reason that people have been upset, of course - but gryffron didn't say it was.

True. Possibly I wasn't clear enough (as usual?), though I did say "From my pov". i.e. It is likely one reason, that applies to some people. However, I wanted to put forward the idea there are other people who have other reasons, beyond the one mentioned by gryffron.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » June 4th, 2021, 9:13 pm

gryffron wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:I strongly believe that more should be done, using the site-tools already available to do so, to promote the things that bring us together, and don't give equal prominence to the regular types of non-financial debates that choose to divide us....

The problem with that is that there are still more Problem reports from HYP than CAN. No-one could argue that HYP isn't "core financial". But I would suggest HYP is very divisive, as the number of PPs suggest. And btw, we don't give the CAN "equal prominence", it is listed below all the financial topics, very deliberately.

As a moderator, I find shifting political debates out of the way into the CAN is much more useful, and acceptable to users, than having to delete them. Deleting such posts/threads, or removing them to a board where some could not see their own posts, generated far more resentment from regular financial posters.

Personally, I avoid the HYP board like the plague. If you don't like the CAN, it's easy for you to avoid that.

Gryff

These days I am pretty similar, It is so easy to stray into the "wrong" HYP discussion on the HYP boards, often just forgetting which one you are reading/commenting upon. I certainly post less on them albeit this is partly because I have been seduced by ITs rather than single company shares.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”