Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Do you like the latest upgrade?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).

1. Yes
50%
2. Yes
20%
3. Yes
30%

Total votes: 10

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 12th, 2021, 10:54 pm

Honesty is the best policy

AiY

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Do you like the latest upgrade?

Postby XFool » November 12th, 2021, 11:09 pm

...What is it? Judge Dredd been appointed as Senior Moderator?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 12th, 2021, 11:26 pm

Why can we choose only one option?

--kiloran

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 12th, 2021, 11:39 pm

kiloran wrote:Why can we choose only one option?

--kiloran

Because I work for the firm :)

AiY

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » November 12th, 2021, 11:47 pm

it is as meaningless as a confession at gunpoint if we don't have a choice.

It should be a choice between:
Yes;
No;
What upgrade?

Julian F. G. W.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 12th, 2021, 11:53 pm

jfgw wrote:it is as meaningless as a confession at gunpoint if we don't have a choice.

Yes;
No;
What upgrade?

Julian F. G. W.

Julian

You're one of my favourite posters . genuinely

The poll was a tongue in cheek joke

That's all it was ... a tongue in cheek joke

I'm gone

AiY

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 12th, 2021, 11:55 pm

I voted Yes.

(Probably premature as AFAIK the upgrade hasn't happened yet. C. )

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » November 13th, 2021, 12:05 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
jfgw wrote:it is as meaningless as a confession at gunpoint if we don't have a choice.

Yes;
No;
What upgrade?

Julian F. G. W.

Julian

You're one of my favourite posters . genuinely

The poll was a tongue in cheek joke

That's all it was ... a tongue in cheek joke

I'm gone

AiY

AsleepInYorkshire,

My post obviously came across as being too serious. I put this down to me having had only two beers tonight. Sorry. I need to rectify this.

Julian F. G. W.

Edit: Rectifying the situation with another can of Proper Job.
Last edited by jfgw on November 13th, 2021, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 13th, 2021, 12:07 am

What upgrade?

Dod

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 13th, 2021, 7:45 am

I think it's fantastic and my portfolio is up over 5% since.

Are you doing any more?

It would be nice to see or start at the new posts since last visit. This will prevent me from skipping to the last post in a thread and reading backwards to the previous postI readon the subject. That's because people put "Spoilers" at the top of their posts not also the bottom.

If it's a choice of another 5% or fix spoilers, I can stop going to the films sections

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 13th, 2021, 9:20 am

Gerry557 wrote:
It would be nice to see or start at the new posts since last visit. This will prevent me from skipping to the last post in a thread and reading backwards to the previous postI readon the subject.

Clicking the red round circle to the left of each topic does that for me.

I always start my "session" by selecting unread posts from the quick links menu (three horizontal lines above the word Home), scrolling through the resulting list and clicking the circle for those I'm interested in.

Then afterwards, click mark all read.

I'd be interested to hear how others use the forum.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 13th, 2021, 10:31 am

I read my notifications first
and then it's onto New posts
and if I have time go back to "Home" and look at some sections I have never been to before

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » November 13th, 2021, 10:35 am

staffordian wrote:I'd be interested to hear how others use the forum.

Missing the old TMF boards when LF started, I set things up as described here:

viewtopic.php?p=2257#p2257

To start a session, I click on my browser's LF bookmark, which gives me a refreshed list of my "Favourite Boards". Any with new posts have red circles, click on those and any threads with new posts also have red circles.

It works like a slimmed down, and more manageable, personalised version of what you get if you press the "Home" button. To refresh, I simply click the bookmark. (On my phone, I get the page by clicking "User Control Panel" then "manage subscriptions").

As an aside, I suspect some "quarrels" here have, at least in part, been caused by the different methods employed by users. For instance, I often see people saying they didn't realise which board they were on. That is next to impossible for me as I always access a post by clicking on the board first. So it is easy to see how misunderstandings can arise.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 13th, 2021, 12:25 pm

csearle wrote:I voted Yes.

(Probably premature as AFAIK the upgrade hasn't happened yet. C. )

I'm still making my mind up what to vote.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » November 13th, 2021, 12:29 pm

I voted 2 as it hadn't had any votes but 1 and 3 had 2 votes each.

Julian F. G. W.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 13th, 2021, 3:16 pm

staffordian wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:It would be nice to see or start at the new posts since last visit. This will prevent me from skipping to the last post in a thread and reading backwards to the previous postI readon the subject.

Clicking the red round circle to the left of each topic does that for me.

I always start my "session" by selecting unread posts from the quick links menu (three horizontal lines above the word Home), scrolling through the resulting list and clicking the circle for those I'm interested in.

Then afterwards, click mark all read.

I'd be interested to hear how others use the forum.

Preparatory steps (rarely repeated - basically only initial set-up and occasionally revise when the board structure is changed or my assessment of what I'm likely to be interested in changes)

A) Subscribe to the boards whose threads I'm likely to be interested in, unsubscribe to any whose threads I've decided I'm no longer likely to be interested in. ("Boards" and "threads" are "forums" and "topics" respectively in phpBB-speak, but that's thoroughly confusing when answering a question about how I "use the forum", and when issues about whether posts are "on-topic" or "off-topic" for their board and/or thread are likely to arise!)

B) Set my notification options so that my subscription to a board only results in me being notified about new threads on the board.

C) If I've subscribed to any new boards, look through the existing threads on that board and bookmark any that I want to follow. (This involved very little when I started reading TLF. More now, but one can for instance assume that threads which haven't seen a new post for a few months are highly likely to be 'dead' and not miss much as a result.)

Usual reading/posting procedure

1) Enter the boards at the "Manage bookmarks" part of my User Control Panel.

2a) All threads that I've currently got bookmarked come up in most-recently-posted-to order, with red (rather than blue) circles to their left if they've acquired new posts since I last read them, and I click on those red circles to go to the new posts and read them. If I lose interest in it, I remove it from my bookmarks and generally never see it again.

2b) I get notified about new threads I'm likely to be interested in. Clicking on the notification brings up the thread concerned - if I am interested in it, I bookmark it; otherwise I move on and generally never see it again.

2c) When I start a new thread, I bookmark it.

Steps 2a, 2b and 2c can be done in any order, including only doing some of the threads in one of them, then some in another, then returning to the first, etc, and quite possibly with significant time gaps between them. I may also sometimes become aware of a thread I'm interested in on a board I'm not generally interested in, e.g. because someone links to it from a thread I am reading - if that happens, I bookmark it to put it on my reading list.

Maintenance

I occasionally run through my list of bookmarks, removing 'dead wood' - i.e. removing the bookmarks for threads which both appear to have died (no new posts for a few months) and I have no particular reason to think I'm going to want to refer to again. I do this to reduce the 'needle in a haystack' issue for finding the threads I am likely to want to refer to again to manageable proportions...

Suitability, etc

This method suits me well, but it won't suit everyone. In particular, it won't suit those who want to read the whole site or to guarantee not missing anything that they're interested in - it does rely on my assessment that I'm likely to be interested in threads on HYP Practical and unlikely to be interested in threads on Sports Bar, for instance. As far as I'm concerned, not wasting my time looking through masses of post subjects that don't interest me is more important than getting 100% coverage of ones that do interest me...

It does have the weakness that I've got to remember to bookmark the threads that do interest me. I'm pretty good at that, but very occasionally slip up - a rather embarrassing slip-up if I forget to bookmark a thread I started myself! A related weakness is that if threads are moved from one board to another, a notification is only generated for its original board and not for the board it's moved to - so I can find myself notified about a highly-political thread that's now on Current Affairs & News or not notified at all about a thread that's now on HYP Practical. The former is typically just a matter of moving on and never seeing the thread again; the latter can result in me not seeing a thread I would be interested in for a long time... I am also liable not to notice for a long time if someone revives a long-dead thread. However, all of these are rare enough events that I'm not too bothered about them.

Gengulphus

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » November 13th, 2021, 3:22 pm

I get the feeling that a little bit of fun has gone seriously (too seriously?) off-topic :lol:

doolally

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 13th, 2021, 3:33 pm

doolally wrote:I get the feeling that a little bit of fun has gone seriously (too seriously?) off-topic :lol:

doolally

You don't say? :)

Me? I just read stuff...

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 13th, 2021, 9:48 pm

doolally wrote:I get the feeling that a little bit of fun has gone seriously (too seriously?) off-topic :lol:

Well, it was very clearly meant to, wasn't it? ;-)

Edit: Besides, did it actually have a topic to go off? ;-) That appears to be one of the unanswered questions in the thread...

Gengulphus

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 13th, 2021, 10:45 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Besides, did it actually have a topic to go off? ;-) That appears to be one of the unanswered questions in the thread...
Gengulphus

I believe it was a very fair poll. Three valid options. A very fair question. And one vote each.

AiY
Edit: I've received some information that suggest the voting has been rigged. Most votes being cast after wine o'clock :lol:

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”