Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Forum: Current accounts inc ISAs v Brokers etc

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Forum: Current accounts inc ISAs v Brokers etc

Postby PinkDalek » March 7th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Merely out of idle interest (prompted by a "Which is the best Shares & Stock ISA ..." topic at "Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs"):

SECTORS & GENERAL SHARES includes Brokers and Share Dealing, which doesn't, to me, appear to be a sector or general share.

MANAGING YOUR FINANCES includes Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs.

Thus best broker type questions for S&S ISAs (and any of the other variants) might appear on either forum.

Should, perhaps, Brokers and Share Dealing be moved to MANAGING YOUR FINANCES?

The individual forum names might also benefit from a change, although I haven't yet thought of something more accurate but my first attempt is:

Brokers inc Share Dealing and ISAs

Bank Accounts, Savings & Cash ISAs

That doesn't really solve any perceived problem, especially as ISAs are now effectively intermingled, but I mention the idea for discussion.

Then there are SIPPs, which seem to be discussed in a number of places!

stooz
Site Admin

Re: Forum: Current accounts inc ISAs v Brokers etc

Postby stooz » March 7th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Happy to make changes if that proves to be what everyone wants?

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » March 7th, 2017, 2:26 pm

I thought the same about it's position as it is not really "sectors and general shares". Also 1 less for me to moderate.... :lol:

Raptor.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 7th, 2017, 3:12 pm

There can be interdependencies. When I asked at HSBC about opening an ISA, they told me that I first had to open a sharedealing account. And then in order to open a sharedealing account I had to also open a bank account with them. So instead of the one account I wanted, I got three. And of course they tried to sell me a credit card. If I hadn't stopped him he'd no doubt have tried to sell me insurance. They must be on commission.

More generally I think there is a fairly fundamental division between saving and investment, and between sharedealing account (whether ISA or not) and savings and current accounts. But financial institutions are all about cross-selling these days, and fudging the distinctions between what we may see as different business lines.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 7th, 2017, 3:36 pm

PinkDalek wrote:The individual forum names might also benefit from a change, although I haven't yet thought of something more accurate but my first attempt is:

IMHO it's redundant and possibly even confusing to mention ISAs like that in the board names. Use the "vanilla" names as per TMF:

Brokers & Share Dealing
Current & Savings Accounts

It's implicit and, I'd say, pretty obvious that S&S ISAs fall under the first and cash ISAs under the second, but if you want to be explicit you can include that in the line under the board name that describes what the board is for.

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » March 7th, 2017, 4:24 pm

mc2fool wrote:IMHO it's redundant and possibly even confusing to mention ISAs like that in the board names. Use the "vanilla" names as per TMF:

Brokers & Share Dealing

It's implicit and, I'd say, pretty obvious that S&S ISAs fall under the first and cash ISAs under the second, but if you want to be explicit you can include that in the line under the board name that describes what the board is for.

But TMF also had a separate ISAs board under 'Managing your Finances'. Perhaps there should be a separate one here as well? :)

Adrian

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 7th, 2017, 4:36 pm

AJC5001 wrote:But TMF also had a separate ISAs board under 'Managing your Finances'. Perhaps there should be a separate one here as well? :)

So it did. I never knew that. I followed Brokers & Share Dealing and Current & Savings Accounts and respective ISA matters used to pop up in both, so I never realised there was a board just for them. So what are you suggesting?

Brokers & Share Dealing (but not S&S ISAs for share dealing)
Current & Savings Accounts (but not cash ISAs for savings)
ISAs (inc. S&S ones for share dealing and cash ones for savings)

:shock:

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 7th, 2017, 5:04 pm

mc2fool wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:The individual forum names might also benefit from a change, although I haven't yet thought of something more accurate but my first attempt is:

IMHO it's redundant and possibly even confusing to mention ISAs like that in the board names. Use the "vanilla" names as per TMF:

Brokers & Share Dealing

I'd agree with you (I haven't studied the other replies) and both under Managing your Finances as per my OP?

I deliberately didn't mention what used to happen on TMF, as others tell everyone this isn't there! I'm unsure about a new ISAs board as, although the area has expanded over the last couple of years, existing boards should be able to cater.

Anyway, sure as eggs are eggs, people will ask about ISAs, of whatever type, at "Does anyone know"?

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”