Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

ssl cert errors

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
didds
Lemon Half

ssl cert errors

Postby didds » August 21st, 2023, 8:02 am

there is an issue with the site's ssl cert and it is showing ssl errors when i load the site.

spending on the browser used, it also prevents me from posting (This is done in Firefox, but opera doesnt permit posting )

The cert being used on the site is showing as
Common Name *.sucuri.net

didds

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: ssl cert errors

Postby Urbandreamer » August 21st, 2023, 8:14 am

didds wrote:there is an issue with the site's ssl cert and it is preventing me from posting, as well as showing ssl errors when i load the site.

Common Name *.sucuri.net

didds

Err, how did you post then?

Seriously I both understand the need for and hate the need for ssl certificates.

I played around with a piece of embedded open source software that extracted data from a web API, only to have it fail needing a correct ssl certificate.
I then had to find the current ssl certificate to get it working again.
Then it changed again!
ARGH.

Worse there wasn't really the hardware resources to not use a fixed certificate. Meaning a repeat every time the certificate changed.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 21st, 2023, 8:30 am

I have had the same problem and find it infuriating. Maybe the owners could tell us what is going both with this problem and the outages last week?

merely by opening the site I seem to be opening myself up to all sorts of risks.

Dod

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 21st, 2023, 8:32 am

Urbandreamer wrote:Err, how did you post then?

" (This is done in Firefox, but opera doesnt permit posting )"

i wont bother you with the tedious saga of trying to flag this issue up to admins. Eventually FF allowed me to, and i pasted what Id tried to post earlier as a DM (which Id copied) etc etc etc .

So FF works, Opera doesnt. But the cert is still an issue.

Hope that helps.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 21st, 2023, 8:35 am

Urbandreamer wrote:Worse there wasn't really the hardware resources to not use a fixed certificate. Meaning a repeat every time the certificate changed.

I deal with certs as part of my job (zzzzz).

Certs typically come in one or two (or more even?) year validities... so what you describe does indeed sound very odd if its happening constantly.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 21st, 2023, 8:41 am

Now an interesting post by IAAG re Crest Nicolson seems to have disappeared having been displayed for about five minutes!

Where is the management? The site is to my mind becoming unusable.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 21st, 2023, 8:47 am

Dod101 wrote:
Now an interesting post by IAAG re Crest Nicolson seems to have disappeared having been displayed for about five minutes!

It's still there -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40336#p610134

Dod101 wrote:
Where is the management?

The site is to my mind becoming unusable.

I've always felt very sorry for, and concerned with, the situation Stooz continues to find himself in...

Clariman seems to have lots of lower-level support on a day-to-day basis for the moderation side of things, which is great, but I've always considered the whole site to be hanging from a Stooz-shaped thread when it comes to the technical, back-ground running of the site itself, and I'm surprised that he's not made sure that a more multi-layered support-structure is set up, given that over the long-term, such a wafer-thin technical support-structure is bound to critically fail at some point or other...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Postby Instep » August 21st, 2023, 9:16 am

didds wrote:there is an issue with the site's ssl cert and it is showing ssl errors when i load the site.

spending on the browser used, it also prevents me from posting (This is done in Firefox, but opera doesnt permit posting )

Common Name *.sucuri.net

didds

I'm getting the same message in Chrome but am able to post by clicking on the "Advanced button" and ignoring the Not secure message.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 21st, 2023, 9:18 am

Instep wrote:
I'm getting the same message in Chrome but am able to post by clicking on the "Advanced button" and ignoring the Not secure message.

ditto similar in FF.

opera wasnt/isnt having any of though :-)

maybe that tells us something overall.... ;-)

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 21st, 2023, 9:22 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

It's still there -

Dod101 wrote:
Where is the management?

The site is to my mind becoming unusable.

I've always felt very sorry for, and concerned with, the situation Stooz continues to find himself in...

Clariman seems to have lots of lower-level support on a day-to-day basis for the moderation side of things, which is great, but I've always considered the whole site to be hanging from a Stooz-shaped thread when it comes to the technical, back-ground running of the site itself, and I'm surprised that he's not made sure that a more multi-layered support-structure is set up, given that over the long-term, such a wafer-thin technical support-structure is bound to critically fail at some point or other...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Having been in the exact situation myself and suffered for it, I sympathise with admin. The main issue of spreading the load is that lots of people moan and complain. But nobody ever steps up to the plate. The only alternative to an absence of volunteer help is to pay the host for a maintenance service. But it's probably uneconomic for a low traffic website such as this with a vanishingly small user base. There's no solution except being patient. Moaning and complaining is very unhelpful IMO.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 21st, 2023, 9:51 am

BullDog wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
It's still there -

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Having been in the exact situation myself and suffered for it, I sympathise with admin. The main issue of spreading the load is that lots of people moan and complain. But nobody ever steps up to the plate. The only alternative to an absence of volunteer help is to pay the host for a maintenance service. But it's probably uneconomic for a low traffic website such as this with a vanishingly small user base. There's no solution except being patient. Moaning and complaining is very unhelpful IMO.

As a totally non technical user of PCs, I am sorry but I have no idea what is entailed in running a site like this. Maybe some of those who do understand such things could volunteer to help out and the rest of us could make a modest financial contribution. That would also help sort out those who appreciate the site for what it is and those who are just 'hangars on' We need the hangars on as well; maybe give them a few free posts or something and then ask them to contribute. The (hopefully) modest contribution could pay for the maintenance service and thus allow moans to be a bit more upfront.

Dod

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 21st, 2023, 10:34 am

Admins - I hadnt realsied the "You're back" thread had ,morphed into this ssl cert error as well, at the time of opening this thread, so please freel free to merge this with the other if you feel it approrpiate

didds

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 21st, 2023, 4:17 pm

It would be helpful if the admin/owners were to give us some sort of sitrep on the current situation. It is a real pain to keep having to get round these notices about certs etc.

Dod

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 21st, 2023, 4:36 pm

Dod101 wrote:It would be helpful if the admin/owners were to give us some sort of sitrep on the current situation. It is a real pain to keep having to get round these notices about certs etc.

Dod

I wonder if it has been fixed in the past few minutes? Looks normal to me, though had problems about 30min ago

--kiloran

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 21st, 2023, 4:40 pm

Hi All

Apologies for the security warnings. Stooz had upgraded our SSL certificate and it took a couple of days for those changes to full propagate across the internet. While that was happening, some (most) browsers would have questioned the credentials of LemonFool temporarily.

All back to normal. However there may be forthcoming outages. Stooz needs to upgrade the discussion board software to a current level, so that it remains compatible with our hosting provider's future plans. That isn't 'just a press a button' operation.

Stick with us. Things will improve.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » August 21st, 2023, 5:52 pm

To add, and to answer the question on a single point of failure at times (me)
We pay for a managed product, so that all and any issues are dealt with by the providers.

My only port of call is to sometimes point out the site is not responding, rather than actively monitoring.
The response seems slow at time maybe because we are a small cog in their wheel.

So... part of the issues recently have been a migration to a more secure and monitored solution. The migration itself also not being carried out very well, but hopefully now things will turn a corner.

We are now protected from attacks, outages, overloading and many more evils along with a caching tool that can speed the site up. The site is now actively monitored and I get daily reports and dashboards to monitor site health and thwarted attacks (very few by the way)

We have more plans to make the site and servers even more robust, essentially turning us from a small cog, to a much larger one.

I will be carrying out more announcements to warn of updates even where no outage is expected.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 21st, 2023, 5:57 pm

Clariman wrote:Hi All

Apologies for the security warnings. Stooz had upgraded our SSL certificate and it took a couple of days for those changes to full propagate across the internet. While that was happening, some (most) browsers would have questioned the credentials of LemonFool temporarily.

All back to normal. However there may be forthcoming outages. Stooz needs to upgrade the discussion board software to a current level, so that it remains compatible with our hosting provider's future plans. That isn't 'just a press a button' operation.

Stick with us. Things will improve.

Thanks for the update. When I got the security warning, I just periodically tried and waited (patiently) until it was fixed. I can survive without the site for a few days. :) Keep up the good work :D

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 21st, 2023, 7:02 pm

Clariman wrote:All back to normal.

Not really...

viewtopic.php?p=610251#p610251

viewtopic.php?p=610261#p610261

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 21st, 2023, 8:46 pm

Again from me. Many thanks for the update and for the site in general.

Dod

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 22nd, 2023, 12:26 am

stooz wrote:We are now protected from attacks, outages, overloading and many more evils along with a caching tool that can speed the site up. The site is now actively monitored and I get daily reports and dashboards to monitor site health and thwarted attacks (very few by the way)

Site seems much snappier now.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”