Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

How crap TLF has become

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
RockRabbit
Lemon Slice

Re: How crap TLF has become

Postby RockRabbit » March 26th, 2024, 3:17 pm

Lootman wrote:My angle on this is not so much the left/right dichotomy but rather why people with no apparent interest in investment would spend a lot of time on an investment site?

Lootman wrote:There does seem to be a correlation between those Lemons who appear to have little or no interest in investment topics and those who post left-wing propaganda.

So, why just mention 'left-wing' propaganda? What about all the 'right-wing' stuff on the LF?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 26th, 2024, 3:49 pm

Titles like the one to this thread make me realise how vulgar we've all become. The word would not have been seen in print when I was a lad, let alone in a headline. However......

TLF may or may not rise to the heights of the old TMF, but it is what we make it. For me, I am very glad indeed that the founders came along and rescued our community when TNF went down. Having no easy source of new blood would always peg us back - that was clear from the beginning.

Ignoring some of the political to and fro for a moment, there is still a great deal of excellent material here, particularly help and technical input, for which I'm grateful. And it's not just financial - of which there is still an abundance. An example - a few months ago some patient individuals talked me through how to replace my failing hard drive with an SSD. It worked, and my PC has a new lease of life entirely because of them.

I am sure many others have benefitted from the kindness of others on TLF and are just as thankful as I am for its continued existence.

Arb.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 26th, 2024, 3:50 pm

Lootman wrote:
SalvorHardin wrote:Indeed. It would be borderline tolerable if they actually posted about investment and personal finance now and again, but they don't.

There does seem to be a correlation between those Lemons who appear to have little or no interest in investment topics and those who post left-wing propaganda. In a sense that is logical but then why would such people ever join TLF anyway? It would be like me joining the Labour Party just so I could try and mock the genuine members and incite them with statements supporting Thatcher.

TLF has many boards that are full of useful and/or interesting posts, these are both financial and non financial in nature and there is not, nor has there ever been, any requirement to post on or read any particular board to be a member of this community.

The proportion of posts to financial vs non financial boards has no bearing whatsoever to the vast majority of users here, which is fortunate for our esteemed Mr Lootman since his last 48 posts have all been to non financial boards.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 26th, 2024, 3:57 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
The proportion of posts to financial vs non financial boards has no bearing whatsoever to the vast majority of users here, which is fortunate for our esteemed Mr Lootman since his last 48 posts have all been to non financial boards.

You make a fair point. When we have a fairly settled investment system of our own, we don't necessarily come here for financial advice, but also for wider interest. We cannot forever keep giving each other advice on the same subject for decades - but there are still bits of financial information which are useful to each of us.
And also ideas which we may not have thought of in other aspects of life and lifestyle.

Arb.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » March 26th, 2024, 4:06 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Titles like the one to this thread make me realise how vulgar we've all become. The word would not have been seen in print when I was a lad, let alone in a headline. However......

TLF may or may not rise to the heights of the old TMF, but it is what we make it. For me, I am very glad indeed that the founders came along and rescued our community when TNF went down. Having no easy source of new blood would always peg us back - that was clear from the beginning.

Ignoring some of the political to and fro for a moment, there is still a great deal of excellent material here, particularly help and technical input, for which I'm grateful. And it's not just financial - of which there is still an abundance. An example - a few months ago some patient individuals talked me through how to replace my failing hard drive with an SSD. It worked, and my PC has a new lease of life entirely because of them.

I am sure many others have benefitted from the kindness of others on TLF and are just as thankful as I am for its continued existence.

Arb.

This title was not initiated by a poster - though was contained within a post.

T7

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 26th, 2024, 4:13 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

You make a fair point. When we have a fairly settled investment system of our own, we don't necessarily come here for financial advice, but also for wider interest. We cannot forever keep giving each other advice on the same subject for decades - but there are still bits of financial information which are useful to each of us.
And also ideas which we may not have thought of in other aspects of life and lifestyle.

Arb.

I use TLF predominantly for the financial and investment posts/aspects. Though I would have to concede that in the absence of the latter, I sometimes "scrat" around amongst the frequent posts just in case there is anything else that might be of interest to me. E.g. Heat pumps. That said, I certainly don't come to TLF for current affairs, news, politics, or discussions/debates on such.

And yes, I am saddened by the reduction in investment posts and discussions, and the increase in debates on current affairs, politics etc., which continues to drive me away from the site.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » March 26th, 2024, 4:17 pm

I think most folk on here just buy a global tracker or suchlike these days. When you can buy the world for a couple of tenths of a percent and then forget about it for a decade or 2, then it seems rude not to.

TLF is educational (there are many offering good advice and assistance on a whole range of things - not just investing) and entertainment. All that equals enrichment. No?

There were complaints on TMF that it had moved away from investing (particularly when they binned Pyad). Almost all the company boards hadn't seen a post in months (years?) & while some of the strategy boards were popular (High Yield Portfolio for example) most were pretty quiet. Sometimes though, boards would errupt in activity. Anyone remember the Berteee/Barish Banking board posts after the GFC/financial crisis? Cutting edge stuff.

I think TLF is by far the most rounded place on the internet. And I see quite a few new names these days, which is most welcome.

Needs more yella and blue though :-)

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » March 26th, 2024, 4:26 pm

richfool wrote:And yes, I am saddened by the reduction in investment posts and discussions, and the increase in debates on current affairs, politics etc., which continues to drive me away from the site.

I think the number of posts about current affairs etc is just a sign of the times. Over the past 10 years, we've had a drawn-out Brexit, Covid, Ukraine, Gaza, Trump, and all the political shennanigans in the UK. I don't think we had so much to discuss 10 years ago, apart from the Scottish independance referendum.
doolally

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » March 26th, 2024, 4:39 pm

doolally wrote:
richfool wrote:And yes, I am saddened by the reduction in investment posts and discussions, and the increase in debates on current affairs, politics etc., which continues to drive me away from the site.

I think the number of posts about current affairs etc is just a sign of the times. Over the past 10 years, we've had a drawn-out Brexit, Covid, Ukraine, Gaza, Trump, and all the political shennanigans in the UK. I don't think we had so much to discuss 10 years ago, apart from the Scottish independance referendum.
doolally

Yeah, prior to 2014 all I really remember was GFC stuff (government takeovers, quantitative easing, banking bonds and so on) because that's what was happening.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 26th, 2024, 4:48 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:My major reason for foeing people is that they never post about investment, troll and shove politics into economics threads just to wind people up. Next up are people who clearly resent other people's investment successes, which you did only too clearly in this thread (link below) where you admitted to trolling:

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42371

Well, it's hardly a surprise that some Lemons can be bitter :D

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » March 26th, 2024, 4:48 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Titles like the one to this thread make me realise how vulgar we've all become. The word would not have been seen in print when I was a lad, let alone in a headline. However.....

The reason that this thread's headline is what it is is because this thread was created by taking one of my posts where this phrase formed part of my post, then using it to create a headline as if I had started the thread.

The post I was replying to was the sort of trolling windup nonsense that we get all too often nowadays on TLF.

Someone more paranoid than me would assume that it was done deliberately in an attempt to discredit me.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 26th, 2024, 4:58 pm

Of course the term CRAP has often arisen in investment matters.

I recall an analyst who issued a circular on Mirror Group shares, in the days of Robert Maxwell, headed his report
Cannot Recommend A Purchase

He was sacked as his firm did work for Maxwell!

Elsewhere I recall analysis of accounts sometimes accused management of using Cleverly Rigged Accounting Ploys.

:D

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » March 26th, 2024, 5:34 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Titles like the one to this thread make me realise how vulgar we've all become. The word would not have been seen in print when I was a lad, let alone in a headline. However.....

The reason that this thread's headline is what it is is because this thread was created by taking one of my posts where this phrase formed part of my post, then using it to create a headline as if I had started the thread.

The post I was replying to was the sort of trolling windup nonsense that we get all too often nowadays on TLF.

Someone more paranoid than me would assume that it was done deliberately in an attempt to discredit me.

Someone less paranoid than you would have seen that this has already been mentioned above.

T7

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 26th, 2024, 5:39 pm

terminal7 wrote:
chas49 wrote:For some strange reason, the full stats which show a user's most used board etc don't appear on your profile. No idea why - but the usual stats don't seem to available on your profile although they are for others.

Hmm - Lootman - always thought could be Chinese AI - further evidence noted recently re eating Peking duck in Peking - surely known as Beijing duck?

I do not know why such stats are hidden for me. I do not recall choosing any such option.

Isn't the dish still called Peking Duck even though the city changed its name? Rather like there is still Ceylon tea, and Burmese restaurants?

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » March 26th, 2024, 6:05 pm

The current affairs and politics are on their own board. I'm not sure why you have to read them.

I'd also like to read more investment posts, especially on lower yielding shares, which don't get much of a mention.

Lootman probably thinks I've an anti-capitalist agenda because I don't post much investment stuff*. But the truth is simpler - I work full time in an unrelated field and don't have the time (nor probably the skills) to research these things. So I continue to read what's here, conscious that I'm leeching from the efforts of others, and I'm grateful to them. I do give out the odd "rec" as thanks!

*And I don't like this government - but who does?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 26th, 2024, 6:13 pm

Well, you don't have to read those parts of TLF you don't like. Probably, like me, you strayed into those areas initially because there was no investment discussion.

However, I would very seriously appeal to you personally not to be "driven away" are you are always one who is worth reading. You would be sorely missed.

Arb.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 26th, 2024, 6:17 pm

MrFoolish wrote:

The current affairs and politics are on their own board. I'm not sure why you have to read them.

I'd also like to read more investment posts, especially on lower yielding shares, which don't get much of a mention.

Lootman probably thinks I've an anti-capitalist agenda because I don't post much investment stuff*. But the truth is simpler - I work full time in an unrelated field and don't have the time (nor probably the skills) to research these things. So I continue to read what's here, conscious that I'm leeching from the efforts of others, and I'm grateful to them. I do give out the odd "rec" as thanks!

MrFoolish, I have posted on the subject of low yielding shares a few times. The topic tends to get drowned out by the HYP interest here. But with recent tax changes I think that LYP investing should become more popular. It helps that it has been low yielding markets like the US that have provided strong capital gains.

I don't think that you have "an anti-capitalist agenda because I don't post much investment stuff". After all, as you say, someone may come here to learn rather than just speak. Amongst those here who do not post a lot about investment topics are stooz and clariman, and I am certainly not going to claim that they are left-wing extremists on that or any other account.

I think richfool is correct and there is more emphasis on politics here of late. I am probably as guilty as anyone there. But I guess the community can decide to be whatever it wants to be. And the CAN board could be canned if that really bothered our noble site sponsors.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 26th, 2024, 6:35 pm

MrFoolish wrote:

Re your sentence above, which I have bolded, - after signing in, I select "Quick Links" - "new posts" and am then faced with a long list of posts from all boards. So it's a case of having to search through all those other non investment posts to find an investment post to view.

I am happy to view and discuss low yielding shares (though preferable IT's) as they often provide better growth prospects than the higher/highest yielding ones. I'll keep a watch out for your posts on the subject. ;)

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » March 26th, 2024, 6:46 pm

richfool wrote:I am happy to view and discuss low yielding shares (though preferable IT's) as they often provide better growth prospects than the higher/highest yielding ones. I'll keep a watch out for your posts on the subject. ;)

I've done well with ICGT Enterprise, which is an IT investing in unlisted companies. It has a good geographical spread and sits at a big discount (for reasons I don't understand). My crystal ball is hazy on the future but you could take a look at it.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 26th, 2024, 8:08 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
richfool wrote:I am happy to view and discuss low yielding shares (though preferable IT's) as they often provide better growth prospects than the higher/highest yielding ones. I'll keep a watch out for your posts on the subject. ;)

I've done well with ICGT Enterprise, which is an IT investing in unlisted companies. It has a good geographical spread and sits at a big discount (for reasons I don't understand). My crystal ball is hazy on the future but you could take a look at it.

To avoid taking this thread off-topic, I've posted a new topic on ICGT, on the Investment Trust board, see: viewtopic.php?p=656062#p656062 ....(though I have to say private equity/unlisted companies are not an area I'm particularly familiar with).

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”