Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Unread status when posts moved

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Unread status when posts moved

Postby mc2fool » April 21st, 2017, 5:10 pm

I thought I'd noticed some quirks with the unread status when posts are moved before, but had always put it down to my memory failing me ("uh...I don't remember seeing that before, must pay more attention!"). However, now I'm pretty sure there's a bug or two...

The case that makes me think so is viewtopic.php?p=47597#p47597 in the Investment Strategies board.

According to the moderator's note in the 3rd reply the thread was originally on the Trading my way to a million board and was moved to the Investment Strategies board.

Now, I don't follow Trading my way to a million, so everything there should be (and is) marked as "unread" for me. I do follow Investment Strategies and on going there just now the above linked-to thread had the red "unread posts" circular icon.

Clicking on it I thought I'd go to the topic post, as I was sure I hadn't seen "AIM Shares - Sources of Information" before, however it took me to the second reply ("Just received my IC..."), and shows the topic post & 1st reply as already read (white page icon) and the 2nd & 3rd replies as unread (red page icon).

This is wrong. It should have taken me to the topic post, and shown the unread (red page icon) on it and all of the replies, as I hadn't seen any of it before. One thing that may be relevant is that prior to this time, the last time I read the Investment Strategies board (and caught up on all then unread posts) was between the times of the 1st and 2rd reply, just before 1pm in fact.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Unread status when posts moved

Postby Slarti » April 22nd, 2017, 4:38 pm

mc2fool wrote:I thought I'd noticed some quirks with the unread status when posts are moved before, but had always put it down to my memory failing me ("uh...I don't remember seeing that before, must pay more attention!"). However, now I'm pretty sure there's a bug or two...

The case that makes me think so is viewtopic.php?p=47597#p47597 in the Investment Strategies board.

According to the moderator's note in the 3rd reply the thread was originally on the Trading my way to a million board and was moved to the Investment Strategies board.

Now, I don't follow Trading my way to a million, so everything there should be (and is) marked as "unread" for me. I do follow Investment Strategies and on going there just now the above linked-to thread had the red "unread posts" circular icon.

Clicking on it I thought I'd go to the topic post, as I was sure I hadn't seen "AIM Shares - Sources of Information" before, however it took me to the second reply ("Just received my IC..."), and shows the topic post & 1st reply as already read (white page icon) and the 2nd & 3rd replies as unread (red page icon).

This is wrong. It should have taken me to the topic post, and shown the unread (red page icon) on it and all of the replies, as I hadn't seen any of it before. One thing that may be relevant is that prior to this time, the last time I read the Investment Strategies board (and caught up on all then unread posts) was between the times of the 1st and 2rd reply, just before 1pm in fact.

Just out of interest, I don't see an icon per message at all. Just one per thread.
Are you viewing in an unthreaded mode?

Slarti

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 22nd, 2017, 4:59 pm

Slarti wrote:Just out of interest, I don't see an icon per message at all. Just one per thread.

Unthreaded mode? Is there such a thing here?

Anyway, the white/red page icon I'm referring to is the one just to the left of "by mc2fool » April 21st, 2017, 5:10 pm", "by Slarti » April 22nd, 2017, 4:38 pm", etc immediately under the title of the post. That's what I get at least....

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 22nd, 2017, 5:21 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Slarti wrote:Just out of interest, I don't see an icon per message at all. Just one per thread.

Unthreaded mode? Is there such a thing here?

Anyway, the white/red page icon I'm referring to is the one just to the left of "by mc2fool » April 21st, 2017, 5:10 pm", "by Slarti » April 22nd, 2017, 4:38 pm", etc immediately under the title of the post. That's what I get at least....

Wow, you are more observant than I. I'd never even realised there were teeny tiny little icon's to the left of the poster's names, let alone that they changed colour :oops:

I wasn't aware of an unthreaded mode,but it is not something I would be interested in, so I haven't looked for it. I was just looking for an explanation of, what seemed to me, to be non-existent icons.

All is clear now, though that doesn't help you with your query.

Slarti

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 5th, 2017, 2:47 pm

Ok, it's just happened again. This time with this post/thread: viewtopic.php?p=57684#p57684

I don't follow the Retirement Investing board but I do follow Pensions - Practical Problems.

The thread was moved from the former to the latter sometime this morning and, even though I've never seen the thread before, the first three posts in the thread are flagged as already read.

The first shown as unread is the one, by petronius » June 4th, 2017, 10:58 am, which is where clicking on the red unread posts icon in the board's directory of threads took me.

I note that the post before that one in the thread (which is marked as already read) is timestamped June 3rd, 2017, 9:00 pm, and that the previous post, chronologically, on the board was this one timestamped June 3rd, 2017, 9:36 pm, which I had already seen (and was, indeed, marked as read).

So....what appears to be happening is that when a thread is moved into a board all of the posts in that thread that are earlier than the latest post on the board that the user has already read are marked as read, even though the user has never seen them before.

It's most definitely a bug! :shock: ;)

HBEN

Postby HBEN » July 5th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Yes I noticed it too.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”