Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Go easy Mods!

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Go easy Mods!

Postby Halicarnassus » May 2nd, 2017, 9:01 am

Hey Mods
I think you're doing a good job, but I have to ask if there is some degree of expression allowed beyond the banal?

I used the word "muppet' on this post which was moderated away. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=4743&start=20#p50073

Muppet as you know is a informal name for a fool. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/muppet

Are we not allowed to call fools, fools?

So we have illegal immigrants, evading border security, having paid people smugglers, to break our laws, then claim benefits and other handouts...and they are not fools/muppets/idiots/dullards?

Come on. What exactly do I call them in a way that defines their criminal foolishness??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, Mods, go easy. Fair point?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Go easy Mods!

Postby Clariman » May 2nd, 2017, 10:04 am

See Rule 2 here app.php/rules

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » May 2nd, 2017, 11:17 am

Clariman wrote:See Rule 2 here app.php/rules

Thanks Clariman. The only thing I can see that is relevant that I can be accused of from #2 rule is...

Any derogatory remarks regarding any groups, whether majority or minority, will be removed

But I do think we have used it outwith the spirit of the words used.

I really do think that people who violate my country's sovereignty and enter my country illegally of the hope that they can claim superior benefits are indeed fools, or muppets as I termed them.

I think the above rule has been applied out of context.

Common sense surely?

How does one deal with this? How does one label fools? If Muppet means fool, then fool means Muppet. is it wrong to say someone who takes criminal acts a fool?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 2nd, 2017, 11:44 am

As the moderator who deleted the word, I stand by my decision. I think you are intelligent enough to make your point without referring to a whole class of people with a derogatory term such as "muppet".

You were referring to a whole group of people, some of whom may indeed have been foolish, some perhaps criminal who have carefully weighed up the odds and decided in a quite calculated way on their course of action. Others may be just desperate or fearful or just felt they had no other choice, you do not know their individual unfortunate circumstances

To write off such a diverse group of unfortunate people from your own privileged position as "muppets" I think does you no favours and it is this sort of across the board value judgement that the rule is in place to prevent.

You may disagree with it and think it prevents your freedom of speech but that is the rule put in place by the site owners and it is my job to uphold those rules.

John

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » May 2nd, 2017, 3:04 pm

I agree with John.

Mel

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » May 2nd, 2017, 3:08 pm

An explanation was asked for. An explanation has been provided, so I shall lock this topic.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”