Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Posting limits for new members

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Posting limits for new members

Postby pochisoldi » May 16th, 2017, 10:19 am

Is there any way to put a limit on the number of posts a new member can make in the first 24hrs/7 days of joining.

I'm talking about blocking the likes of the eegit who spammed the site this morning with webcam info - 391 posts in one day.

I'd suggest setting a highish limit, with an absolute block on further posts, and a one off message to the moderators to have a look at the potential miscreant's account to make the clean up easier.

PochiSoldi

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Posting limits for new members

Postby PinkDalek » May 16th, 2017, 10:30 am

pochisoldi wrote:Is there any way to put a limit on the number of posts a new member can make in the first 24hrs/7 days of joining.

I'm talking about blocking the likes of the eegit who spammed the site this morning with webcam info - 391 posts in one day.

I'd suggest setting a highish limit, with an absolute block on further posts, and a one off message to the moderators to have a look at the potential miscreant's account to make the clean up easier.

PochiSoldi

This has been raised before and I don't know the answer. All I can find, at the moment, is this from stooz a little while back on this board:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2351#p24571

I can enable all first posts to be manually approved. But that's a lot more work than clearing the odd spammer

mc2fool did post this in Feb 2017 as something to consider:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3206&p=30895&hilit=spam#p30964

Rather than a mechanism that involves moderator action, maybe a prove-you-are-human mechanism would be a better idea. E.g. a captcha on the first few post attempts or similar. On a quick google there seems to be quite a few articles, etc, about it (haven't looked into any myself). https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=phpbb+spambot+captcha
Last edited by PinkDalek on May 16th, 2017, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » May 16th, 2017, 11:33 am

I reported one of the spam posts this morning on a topic I started and just as I clicked submit I think I noticed that the check box to receive a confirmation email was checked, but I haven't received it yet (unless it meant an email to the spammer which is unlikely).

The question and correct answer registration method is a standard option with phpBB and I use it on my forum with great effect to stop spambots, but it doesn't stop a human spammer who knows the answer, so it needs to be a question which only those interested in the forum purpose are likely to know.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » May 16th, 2017, 12:23 pm

I am looking for ways to stop them. I have multiple 2rd party checks against known spammers, I have limited urls being posted and I have just updated the questions and answers with new ones.

HBEN

Postby HBEN » May 27th, 2017, 10:03 am

Or you could set the daily limit.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”