Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Donations vs Adverts

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Donations vs Adverts

Postby Slarti » July 22nd, 2017, 5:47 pm

shinygoldcar wrote:The adverts I've seen on TLF are ok, but I'd rather not have them than have them. Yes losing the adverts means a loss of revenue for TLF, but I'm personally quite comfortable with that if what TLF loses in ad revenue is more than made up for in donations.

There are other sites where the adverts are very irritating. My local newspaper website is a case in point. Full-screen adverts appear in front of news articles, if not full-screen adverts then banners that take a quarter of the screen and videos stop part-way through to give an advert. And it can slow down my computer. But there is no option to pay for no adverts, if only there was...

uBlock Origin is possibly the best adblocker out there and is available for most (all?) web browsers.
Once you've installed it it keeps itself up to date with the many new sources of ads that appear every week and you just don't have to think about it any more.

Wish there was something like it for the TV

Slarti

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » July 22nd, 2017, 6:00 pm

I do hope that all of you who use adblockers either turn them off for the Lemon or make a donation.

Rob

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » July 22nd, 2017, 6:39 pm

Moderator Message:
This thread is going off topic. If you want to discuss ad-blockers etc please use the appropriate board here viewforum.php?f=39

This thread is about the funding of this site. Stooz and I took the initiative to create this website in order to keep the Fool community together - and to welcome new members. We did so in our own time and at our own expense. As Stooz said, this site will remain free to use and all are welcome, irrespective of whether you donate.

To date, it has been funded by the ads you see. However this type of income is never guaranteed, which means the site's future would not be guaranteed. We have also been paying 3rd parties for some continued development of the forum software. We also wish to upgrade the hosting for everyone's benefit.

So we are giving members the opportunity to play a part in ensuring the continuity of the site that we all use - and giving the opportunity (if you so wish) to say thanks to the site's creators. Rather than simply asking for donations we are endeavouring to give something in return by making it adfree for those who wish to do so.

Cheers
Stooz and Clariman

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 22nd, 2017, 11:54 pm

Clariman wrote:
Moderator Message:
This thread is going off topic. If you want to discuss ad-blockers etc please use the appropriate board here viewforum.php?f=39

This thread is about the funding of this site. Stooz and I took the initiative to create this website in order to keep the Fool community together - and to welcome new members. We did so in our own time and at our own expense. As Stooz said, this site will remain free to use and all are welcome, irrespective of whether you donate.

To date, it has been funded by the ads you see. However this type of income is never guaranteed, which means the site's future would not be guaranteed. We have also been paying 3rd parties for some continued development of the forum software. We also wish to upgrade the hosting for everyone's benefit.

So we are giving members the opportunity to play a part in ensuring the continuity of the site that we all use - and giving the opportunity (if you so wish) to say thanks to the site's creators. Rather than simply asking for donations we are endeavouring to give something in return by making it adfree for those who wish to do so.

Cheers
Stooz and Clariman

Where are those recs when you need them! In their absence I'd just like to say a heartfelt thanks to you both for everything you've done - it really is very much appreciated.

TawnyOwl

Postby TawnyOwl » July 26th, 2017, 12:25 pm

I decided to make a donation to support the site. I thought £20 but £30 it seems is the amount. Still I carried on but my payment was rejected because I hadn't submitted my address and phone number.

I ask the question why do they want this unnecessary information? Nuisance phone calls and unsolicited mail is what I think. Consequently it didn't go through.

Something you should look at perhaps.

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » July 26th, 2017, 12:32 pm

I think you'll find that's down to your method of payment not the site. I paid by Paypal and didn't have to give any details.

I'm pretty sure there was an option to select a payment amount.

Rob

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 26th, 2017, 2:56 pm

robbelg wrote:...I paid by Paypal and didn't have to give any details.

Rob

I too used Paypal, but was unable to change the amount from £30.

I'd had £20 in mind but didn't quibble at the thought of an extra tenner.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 26th, 2017, 4:01 pm

staffordian wrote:
robbelg wrote:...

Rob

The former sterling options included £30 and a number of higher options. It would appear that £30/€30/nothing are now the options:

app.php/donate

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 26th, 2017, 4:33 pm

robbelg wrote:I think you'll find that's down to your method of payment not the site. I paid by Paypal and didn't have to give any details.

Rob

I wanted to use PayPal without logging in to PayPal and there it wanted my address and a valid phone number, so I gave in and logged in and then didn't have to give them more data than they already have.

Slarti

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 26th, 2017, 4:50 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
staffordian wrote:
robbelg wrote:...

Rob

The former sterling options included £30 and a number of higher options. It would appear that £30/€30/nothing are now the options:

app.php/donate

I can see drop down arrows by the amont and the currency, but the only amount option in the list is 30.

I do have a choice of either £30 or €30 though.

Not sure if its relevant, but I'm viewing on an Android tablet using Chrome.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 26th, 2017, 6:25 pm

staffordian wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:
staffordian wrote:

app.php/donate

I can see drop down arrows by the amont and the currency, but the only amount option in the list is 30.

I do have a choice of either £30 or €30 though.

Not sure if its relevant, but I'm viewing on an Android tablet using Chrome.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. There were higher donation amounts available previously. Those higher options are no longer available (unless one wishes to donate more than once within the year). ;)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » July 27th, 2017, 7:40 am

CK - many thanks for your kind comments.

Ref the single option donation, I have raised it with Stooz.

Cheers
C

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » July 27th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Hi All

There is now a range of options, starting at £20. Hopefully that's OK with all. The default is still £30.

Clariman

TawnyOwl

Postby TawnyOwl » July 27th, 2017, 1:19 pm

I should have pointed out that it is Paypal not Lemon Fool that wants your personal details. I don't have or want a Paypal account but they want you to register. I'm not going to.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 27th, 2017, 1:44 pm

TawnyOwl wrote:I should have pointed out that it is Paypal not Lemon Fool that wants your personal details. I don't have or want a Paypal account but they want you to register. I'm not going to.

Your call, obviously, but although you need to complete the credit card information for Paypal to facilitate the payment, you are not forced to set up a Paypal account.

Clariman wrote:
There is now a range of options, starting at £20. Hopefully that's OK with all. The default is still £30.

Those who've made a donation will receive certain Merchant Information by way of confirmatory emails from Paypal.

It might assist if Stooz could tell the board what personal information arrives his end.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 27th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Just for the record, Paypal is illegal/banned in several countries, including the one I'm resident of (for another 11 months 2 weeks - tick-tock...).
I've previously been told off for referring to this place as bonkers; now sadly they get to witness that reasonable description for what it is since I can't contribute.

My understanding of the situation is that in general the ban applies for what are generally regarded as autocratic states. Where the state does not wish to permit a banking structure outside of it's control. In general it's banned in swathes of the Middle-east, plus pretty much all the 'rogue states' elsewhere.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » July 27th, 2017, 4:24 pm

I wasn't aware paypal was banned in the middle east. You learn something new...

For reference I can choose to receive additional data from paypal, but all I get is an email saying I have received funds from an email address and a note as to how much for. I don't log into the reporting of paypal, and have no intention of accessing anything personal should it be there.
I appreciate this isn't ideal for some, but its all ive got for the moment.

I am looking at alternatives to paypal such as https://squareup.com and https://stripe.com/gb

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 27th, 2017, 5:41 pm

stooz wrote:For reference I can choose to receive additional data from paypal, but all I get is an email saying I have received funds from an email address and a note as to how much for.

Are you always able to tie this up to an LF account, (I'm thinking of where someone uses different email addresses for LF and Paypal) or do you rely on the sender advising you of their user name?

I sent a note of my username as I was not sure, and there was no advice that I could see.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » July 27th, 2017, 7:42 pm

I don't need anything, the software tracks all that using encrypted data between LF and PayPal :)

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 27th, 2017, 7:53 pm

stooz wrote:I don't need anything, the software tracks all that using encrypted data between LF and PayPal :)

Searches in vain for the Thanks button :D

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”