Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Donations vs Adverts

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
robbelg
Lemon Slice

Re: Donations vs Adverts

Postby robbelg » August 3rd, 2017, 9:24 am

I'm getting adverts !!!

I made my donation almost as soon as they were introduced and they went away but today they're back.

Not a massive problem but.......

Rob

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » August 3rd, 2017, 10:58 am

Now you mention it, so am I, though to be honest, I hadn't noticed them until you mentioned it :)

Staffordian

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 3rd, 2017, 11:55 am

I'm loving the adverts...just now it is for a "twin engined Otter aircraft", yesterday I was intrigued to see that I can buy a little metal spinning top, about one inch high, in a range of metals for between $50 and $150, if "Inception" ever becomes reality then I have bookmarked the site for future reference! I have also been tempted by offers of oscilloscopes, although I have absolutely no use for such an item. :)

John

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 3rd, 2017, 12:06 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I'm loving the adverts...just now it is for a "twin engined Otter aircraft", yesterday I was intrigued to see that I can buy a little metal spinning top, about one inch high, in a range of metals for between $50 and $150, if "Inception" ever becomes reality then I have bookmarked the site for future reference! I have also been tempted by offers of oscilloscopes, although I have absolutely no use for such an item. :)

John

No Topic drift there then, yet! ;)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6392&start=20#p69037

To forestall mention of ad-blockers, again, now we are on page 3.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 3rd, 2017, 12:32 pm

I slap my own wrist!

For Info I have flagged this latest issue up so hopefully stooz will be on it soon.

John

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 3rd, 2017, 1:46 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I'm loving the adverts...just now it is for a "twin engined Otter aircraft", yesterday I was intrigued to see that I can buy a little metal spinning top, about one inch high, in a range of metals for between $50 and $150, if "Inception" ever becomes reality then I have bookmarked the site for future reference! I have also been tempted by offers of oscilloscopes, although I have absolutely no use for such an item. :)

John

John - thanks for highlighting it. More importantly thanks for saying you like the adverts so much.

Note to Stooz - I think the site could be better funded if we had a donation option that increased the number of ads some people see. They might see that as worth paying for! ;)

Clariman

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 3rd, 2017, 1:56 pm

Clariman wrote:

John

John - thanks for highlighting it. More importantly thanks for saying you like the adverts so much.

Note to Stooz - I think the site could be better funded if we had a donation option that increased the number of ads some people see. They might see that as worth paying for! ;)

Clariman

I was jesting with redsturgeon earlier but I'm more than happy if there can be an option to turn adverts back on, although the mobile issue snorvey mentioned is duplicated this end (well it would be, if I could get back in on my mobile as per my separate Topic).

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » August 3rd, 2017, 3:52 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I'm loving the adverts...just now it is for a "twin engined Otter aircraft", yesterday I was intrigued to see that I can buy a little metal spinning top, about one inch high, in a range of metals for between $50 and $150'

Yep, I get some really off the wall stuff too! Someone higher up^ mentioned this ad-content based chat risks being OT, so I created a new topic 'What adverts do you see, if any?' viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6662
... where we compare notes and 'av a laff' :)

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » August 3rd, 2017, 10:31 pm

Sorry everyone. It's still work in progress. I am working on it as we speak and will have them sorted ASAP

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 4th, 2017, 1:01 pm

stooz wrote:
Sorry everyone. It's still work in progress. I am working on it as we speak and will have them sorted ASAP

If there's any issues behind the process Stooz, then why not just ditch the idea of donations being linked to not seeing adverts altogether?

I'm sure most people don't mind them, and for those that do mind, there's the option of using free ad-blockers, so I'm really not sure where any real incentive is to give donations purely to gain an advert-free TLF experience....

I'm absolutely sure you guys would receive just as much in terms of donations if you simply asked for something to cover the running of the site.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » August 4th, 2017, 1:08 pm

I have to have something to do ! :)
Also I can't take money without providing something in return.I would feel guilty.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 4th, 2017, 1:48 pm

stooz wrote:I have to have something to do ! :)
Also I can't take money without providing something in return.I would feel guilty.

You have provided something in return. The expanded PM facility for those who use them.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 4th, 2017, 4:31 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
stooz wrote:I have to have something to do ! :)

You have provided something in return. The expanded PM facility for those who use them.

But stooz has said that he would provide the expanded PM facility and advert-freeness. Some people feel guilty about not providing what they said they would, and he may be one of them. Also, saying that one will do something and then not doing it is a way of losing credibility, and he may not want to do that either.

Speaking for myself, the advert-freeness is something I value, while the expanded PM facility is of no noticeable value to me. As a result, only the advert-freeness contributed to my decision to make a donation - I don't think it was critical to that decision, but it certainly made it clearer. And as far as credibility is concerned, well, a failure to provide advert-freeness would inevitably lose a bit - by no means enough to make me leave, but not nothing.

Gengulphus

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » August 4th, 2017, 4:42 pm

The fix will we going live this weekend - if not tonight.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 4th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Gengulphus wrote: And as far as credibility is concerned, well, a failure to provide advert-freeness would inevitably lose a bit - by no means enough to make me leave, but not nothing.

I certainly hope that the ads would not drive anyone to leave TLF, as they really are not that obtrusive. I mostly do not notice them at all, and in fact have wondered whether that reduces their effectiveness for the advertiser.

Contrast that with a site like Yahoo, where the ads have made it almost unusable. The real culprits are the video ads, which can take seconds to load whilst the user is effectively frozen out. I haven't noticed any video ads on TLF.

I suppose the user experience might vary by device and browser but, from what I see, the impact of ads is trivial. I presume it must add a few milliseconds to the response time, but nothing like the horrors we see elsewhere. If the ad's give useful funding to the site then, personally, I am happy to contribute that way.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 4th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:a failure to provide advert-freeness would inevitably lose a bit - by no means enough to make me leave, but not nothing.

I certainly hope that the ads would not drive anyone to leave TLF, as they really are not that obtrusive. I mostly do not notice them at all, and in fact have wondered whether that reduces their effectiveness for the advertiser.

Contrast that with a site like Yahoo, where the ads have made it almost unusable. The real culprits are the video ads, which can take seconds to load whilst the user is effectively frozen out. I haven't noticed any video ads on TLF.

I suppose the user experience might vary by device and browser but, from what I see, the impact of ads is trivial. I presume it must add a few milliseconds to the response time, but nothing like the horrors we see elsewhere. If the ad's give useful funding to the site then, personally, I am happy to contribute that way.

For me, the main reason that I block all adverts, everywhere is security.
There have been a number of well documented instances of the 3rd party ad flingers dropping malware on users computers, just by them having visited the site with the infected ad.

Slarti

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » August 4th, 2017, 5:50 pm

I hope I speak for the vast majority of LF users when I say that the opportuniy to help contribute towards what stooz and Clariman have achieved was my motivation for donating.

The presence or absence of adverts is neither here nor there as far as I am concerned.

Staffordian

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » August 4th, 2017, 7:16 pm

staffordian wrote:I hope I speak for the vast majority of LF users when I say that the opportuniy to help contribute towards what stooz and Clariman have achieved was my motivation for donating.

Seconded

Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tortoise1000 » August 14th, 2017, 6:49 am

I have never seen any advertisements, but am pleased to know they now won't suddenly spring out on me. Happy to contribute to this excellent site. Please don't get too rich on the proceeds though, stooz and Clariman, we don't want you to retire :-)

T

mosschops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mosschops » October 19th, 2017, 12:59 pm

No problem with adverts in general, but lately I've been getting the "You have a virus, yes really, please download this thing that is totally not a Trojan/bandwidth hogger" sort of adverts when browsing here. Any chance of some quality control as it's like trying to navigate a Moldovan streaming site now.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”