Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

A knock on the door?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
beeswax
Lemon Quarter

A knock on the door?

Postby beeswax » February 5th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Tony Boxford, 61, accused police of misusing resources when they knocked on his door to have a 'chat' over remarks he made online

He denies saying anything rude or defamatory in his claims that taxpayers' money could be spent on more useful resources.

Tony said: 'I asked them to explain exactly what I'd said to warrant the visit, but they were unable to say.

'They said they didn't really know, and 'we've just been asked to speak to you and advise you to be aware of what you say on social media'.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -post.html

I had thought of posting it on the polite forum but as it could apply to anybody at any time on 'social media' wondered what you think of it? Mods can transfer it if they wish...

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: A knock on the door?

Postby csearle » February 6th, 2018, 10:52 am

What a cheek! Especially as apparently the officers didn't even bother to inform themselves about what the comments were. Very Putinesque, sending the boys around. C.

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » February 6th, 2018, 12:11 pm

I think I'd like to see a slightly more complete account than the DM piece before coming to any judgement!

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 6th, 2018, 2:23 pm

The bloke missed a bit of a trick really.

He could have just said "I write an awful lot on social media, so I wouldn't know what you are on about. Tell you what, why don;t' you go back to the bloke that told you to come and talk to me, find out what it is in particular is the problem, then come back and we'll chat about it then. Give me a phone call before you come over (gives mobile number) and I'll put the kettle on".

then when they call say he is out.

all a bit daft innit?

didds

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 6th, 2018, 6:27 pm

csearle wrote:What a cheek! Especially as apparently the officers didn't even bother to inform themselves about what the comments were. Very Putinesque, sending the boys around. C.

How would a couple of PCs, or even a sergeant and a PC, who were almost certainly already out in their car when they received their instructions, actually inform themselves of what was said?

Blame should be aimed higher up the chain of command.

But I do think it was not a police matter, unless threats were made.

Slarti

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » February 6th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Slarti wrote:Blame should be aimed higher up the chain of command.
I agree, I kind of meant that really, although I appreciate that's not what I said. I think that if they send the boys 'round to enforce a complaint then they should be furnished with all they need to do that.

Regards,
Chris

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 6th, 2018, 6:41 pm

csearle wrote:
Slarti wrote:Blame should be aimed higher up the chain of command.
I agree, I kind of meant that really, although I appreciate that's not what I said. I think that if they send the boys 'round to enforce a complaint then they should be furnished with all they need to do that.

Regards,
Chris

If it was legit police business then they would have been, but as it sounds as if it was old boys network ... :shock:

Slarti

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 6th, 2018, 8:43 pm

"Tony Boxford, 61, said police could've been out catching criminals rather than knocking on his door to have a 'chat' over remarks he made online."

Could better be written as "Tony Boxford, of some age that is entirely irrelevant, said "I just want to be a cliche, so I'm going to say that thing about why aren't they out catching real criminals""

Mel

(agree that I cannot comment on one article in the DM, unless there is some more objective report, as far as I am concerned, this didn't happen)

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » February 6th, 2018, 9:43 pm

Mel,

There is a very good reason for giving a person's age. My real name is quite common, which is why I now insist on using my middle initial as well, but having worked with someone with the same name but different middle initial, met a headmaster with the same name but no middle initial, watched a retirement seminar film with someone the same name on it, then I suggest that giving a person's age is one way of helping to identify an individual.

Another problem is that in some families, firstborn sons (and firstborn daughters) are given the same name as their respective sexual parent. Again age will help to clarify, especially as they could be all living at the same address.

It could be argued that a partial address might be sufficient. See the paragraph above, but even if they are not living together, a partial address could still identify the wrong person.

I do agree that giving the person's age is not conclusive, but it does go a long way towards that.

Regards,

ten0rman

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » February 6th, 2018, 9:55 pm

ten0rman wrote:My real name is quite common...
Who would have thought that the family 0rman would have been so widespread, or that anyone, let alone more than one person, would have been named "Ten"?! (Seven yes, but Ten?)

Flabbergasted of Tunbridge Wells,
;)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » February 7th, 2018, 2:23 am

didds wrote:The bloke missed a bit of a trick really.

He could have just said "I write an awful lot on social media, so I wouldn't know what you are on about. Tell you what, why don;t' you go back to the bloke that told you to come and talk to me, find out what it is in particular is the problem, then come back and we'll chat about it then. Give me a phone call before you come over (gives mobile number) and I'll put the kettle on".

All good so far...

didds wrote:then when they call say he is out.

all a bit daft innit?

But this last bit is daft - a textbook way of making the police think there really is something to investigate!

Gengulphus

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 7th, 2018, 9:28 am

fair point!

didds

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 7th, 2018, 9:30 am

ten0rman wrote:Mel,

There is a very good reason for giving a person's age. My real name is quite common, which is why I now insist on using my middle initial as well, but having worked with someone with the same name but different middle initial, met a headmaster with the same name but no middle initial, watched a retirement seminar film with someone the same name on it, then I suggest that giving a person's age is one way of helping to identify an individual.

Another problem is that in some families, firstborn sons (and firstborn daughters) are given the same name as their respective sexual parent. Again age will help to clarify, especially as they could be all living at the same address.

It could be argued that a partial address might be sufficient. See the paragraph above, but even if they are not living together, a partial address could still identify the wrong person.

I do agree that giving the person's age is not conclusive, but it does go a long way towards that.

Regards,

ten0rman

Eh? Why does the DM have to be so fastidious about identifying someone?

Not least of which, his photograph appeared in the article! And other details, like where he lives and the fact he used to be a councillor.

It's not a court summons, it's a (fabricated) newspaper story. Who cares which person it is about?

Mel

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » February 7th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Mel,

I haven't read the article so I do not know what was or wasn't published. All I was doing was to take your comment at face value, ie that you were querying what his has age got to do with anything, which of course it hasn't. Except that as someone who has had mixups at both the doctor's surgery & dentists's surgery, and been telephoned in the mistaken belief that I was a headteacher - due to two people with the same name, then I can see a very good reason for giving it. That's all it was. I was merely defending the principle, especially as, in general, I find that other people tend to ignore my middle name.

Regards,

ten0rman

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 7th, 2018, 2:54 pm

A good many years ago, myself, my father and my grandfather, all with identical names, lived at the same address. That really would have got the police confused.

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » February 7th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Scotia,

That exactly proves my point.

Thanks,

ten0rman

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 25th, 2018, 9:41 pm

scotia wrote:A good many years ago, myself, my father and my grandfather, all with identical names, lived at the same address. That really would have got the police confused.

That sounds like fun when they get an arrest warrant. Are you interchangeable?

Police do strange things. Like the time they knocked on my door asking to access the garden because they had been told someone's phone had been thrown into it (turned out it hadn't - they called the number and heard it ringing next door). Nice to know they're there to help, though they never found the phone I once reported lost.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 26th, 2018, 12:41 pm

That sounds like fun when they get an arrest warrant.

My father used to complain that myself (a student) and my grandfather (a pensioner) always maintained that all correspondence from the Inland Revenue , addressed with our common names, had nothing to do with us.
Having said that, it brings back memories of an episode of the Vital Spark where the skipper tore up a communication from the Inland Revenue, while saying it obviously had nothing to do with him, because he was out at sea.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”