Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

New quoting rules

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: New quoting rules

Postby mc2fool » August 16th, 2017, 8:40 pm

stooz wrote:For my two pence - if the link to the article is posted on TLF then a discussion about it, that's all that's needed. If you want the context behind the debate on TLF- click the link and read the article. It does not need duplicating here. It only serves as laziness from clicking a solitary link.

It's entirely the opposite.

Nobody is talking about duplicating entire articles here but quoting small, specific, sections to focus on, to avoid either the difficulties of paraphrasing without loosing meaning or nuances, or the real p.i.t.a. of having to say things like, "I do agree with the 3rd and 4th sentence of the 5th paragraph, but what do folks think of the 2nd & 3rd sentences of the 11th paragraph?"

This post is user generated content copyright of the user mc2fool and reproducing it in part or in whole on any site other than lemonfool.co.uk without the written permission of mc2fool is strictly prohibited. The content may be reproduced on lemonfool.co.uk provided that it is credited to mc2fool and, if reproduced in another thread to this one, a link is provided back to this post.

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » August 16th, 2017, 8:44 pm

Dear me, what a fuss over nothing..

I sometimes will post a link but I don't actually like doing it because I would rather give MY opinion on things rather than what someone else's opinion is. Its very much like religion where people quote religious text as though it based on FACT or what the early church fathers wrote or what St Paul wrote and that is their 'opinion' and entitled to it but I would rather give my own about what I think of God and not what they thought of God!...Did an Angel appear to Muhammad? There is no scientific evidence or review papers of the time and so anyone can make up stuff and most probably did. Angels appeared thousands of years ago and yet not now or in the last 100 years when we started having the means of validating such stuff? A trillion words have been written about religion and most of it is pure BS but the problem is religion has a get out of jail card and cannot be criticised as it should. No links are needed there chaps! Anyway, what IS the point of sharing information that is just someone else's opinion when we each have our own. That can go for shares and other financial stuff and I don't much care about what the Independent writes, or any other news outlet writes. Most of it are fibs and exaggerations anyway and we can pick a headline if we like and then discuss that like we can Brexit. This is NOT a scientific forum or a legal one and people get too uptight about stuff and If the owners want to ban a discussion on cats and dogs, then that is their right and if you don't like that rule, tough, go elsewhere. I hate cats and most dogs as all they do is [expletive deleted] and make a mess and smell...so what! ;)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 16th, 2017, 8:53 pm

beeswax wrote:Dear me, what a fuss over nothing..

I sometimes will post a link but I don't actually like doing it because I would rather give MY opinion on things rather than what someone else's opinion is. Its very much like religion where people quote religious text as though it based on FACT or what the early church fathers wrote or what St Paul wrote and that is their 'opinion' and entitled to it but I would rather give my own about what I think of God and not what they thought of God!...Did an Angel appear to Muhammad? There is no scientific evidence or review papers of the time and so anyone can make up stuff and most probably did. Angels appeared thousands of years ago and yet not now or in the last 100 years when we started having the means of validating such stuff? A trillion words have been written about religion and most of it is pure BS but the problem is religion has a get out of jail card and cannot be criticised as it should. No links are needed there chaps! Anyway, what IS the point of sharing information that is just someone else's opinion when we each have our own. That can go for shares and other financial stuff and I don't much care about what the Independent writes, or any other news outlet writes. Most of it are fibs and exaggerations anyway and we can pick a headline if we like and then discuss that like we can Brexit. This is NOT a scientific forum or a legal one and people get too uptight about stuff and If the owners want to ban a discussion on cats and dogs, then that is their right and if you don't like that rule, tough, go elsewhere. I hate cats and most dogs as all they do is Manure and make a mess and smell...so what! ;)

Yeah, pretty much. I don't use links and cites much myself either, for similar reasons. And I just posted about this elsewhere and now see this might be a better place and so, for what it is worth, this:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=6919&p=74960#p74960

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » August 16th, 2017, 9:01 pm

I sometimes will post a link but I don't actually like doing it because I would rather give MY opinion on things rather than what someone else's opinion is.

Not all links are to opinions, many are to factual information. I would point out that opinions are often better for being informed of the facts, even opinions about Brexit.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 16th, 2017, 9:13 pm

hamzahf wrote:I tend not to read website terms and conditions in all their detail (seriously does anyone?), so made an initial query about the treatment of quotes from the Independent in reply to a post where I first encountered the moderators message. I have taken the point and will not quote from the Independent in the future,

That's the spirit!

I have wandered into other fora at times and 'got it wrong', either been told 'we don't do it like that round here', or been moderated etc. I've gradually learned, or I've decided it's not for me and left.

That's the choice really, isn't it?

I don't disagree that it would be helpful to have a list, but it was news to us that the Indy had that rule. I would suggest if anyone sees a similar rule they let someone know via a report etc.

It's going to be tricky as mods to keep a mental note of sites we have to remove quotes for (though in reality I think we probably only have to make reasonable efforts and then take it off if anyone complains) so it might be an idea to somehow try and create a list I guess.

Mel

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 16th, 2017, 9:45 pm

melonfool wrote:I don't disagree that it would be helpful to have a list, but it was news to us that the Indy had that rule. I would suggest if anyone sees a similar rule they let someone know via a report etc.

I think you'll find that most commercial sites have such a rule. I've already pointed out two earlier in this thread, the FT and the BBC, and Nimrod103 has pointed out the Telegraph too.

This post is user generated content copyright of the user mc2fool and reproducing it in part or in whole on any site other than lemonfool.co.uk without the written permission of mc2fool is strictly prohibited. The content may be reproduced on lemonfool.co.uk provided that it is credited to mc2fool and, if reproduced in another thread to this one, a link is provided back to this post.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 16th, 2017, 11:54 pm

mc2fool wrote:I think you'll find that most commercial sites have such a rule.

How many actually bother to enforce it though against non-commercial use? Being able to quote from copyrighted material for review purposes has long been part of British law and arguably a necessary concession by those demanding intellectual property rights and restrictions in the first place.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 17th, 2017, 7:56 am

Stonge wrote:

I sometimes will post a link but I don't actually like doing it because I would rather give MY opinion on things rather than what someone else's opinion is.

Not all links are to opinions, many are to factual information.

...possibly why some people use links sparingly and others with vigor and enthusiasm...

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » August 17th, 2017, 8:53 am

Bobby D - Yes. Those who post links to factual information, that backs up their statements, deserve far more consideration than those on here who just repeat THEIR limited, and possibly uninformed (how would we know), opinions again and again, ultimately just exposing themselves to suspicions of displaying woeful ignorance and limited horizons.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 17th, 2017, 9:54 am

Moderator Message:
Please keep the discussion here to the new rules rather than individual's posting styles.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 17th, 2017, 10:14 am

Can I ask whether this site has actually received communication from the Independent requiring removal of their content, or is it just gold plating?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 17th, 2017, 10:25 am

Alaric wrote:Can I ask whether this site has actually received communication from the Independent requiring removal of their content, or is it just gold plating?

I was just about to post something very similar, but possibly the other way around. Has anyone from TLF approached any of the hardline copywrite sites to get an opinion from them on their practical attitude to an ordinary person on a non commercial site like TLF quoting say a paragraph or so along with a link?

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 17th, 2017, 10:31 am

melonfool wrote:I got that quote from the Government website, from the Intellectual Property Office - I would assume they would be reputable in the matter?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions- ... ir-dealing

They're reputable, yes.

But I'm afraid the words you quoted ("Has the use of the work impacted negatively on the market for the original work? If the creator or owner has lost potential revenue through the re-use of their work, it is not likely to be fair.") don't appear in that link. What does appear is the following:

"Factors that have been identified by the courts as relevant in determining whether a particular dealing with a work is fair include:

• does using the work affect the market for the original work? If a use of a work acts as a substitute for it, causing the owner to lose revenue, then it is not likely to be fair
"

and the message the bullet point in that conveys is similar enough to your quote that I can believe it's simply been edited at some point - though if the "Last updated" date at the top of the page is to be believed, on or before 18 November 2014. Perhaps you had an old version of the page or the quote lying around and used it? Or have misremembered exactly where you got the quote from?

Somewhat more important, you introduced the quote with "The exceptions to the 'fair use' rule include:" and the quote I've found in your link doesn't say that it's an exception, but rather that it's a factor the courts take into account when deciding whether dealing is fair. Coupled with the fact that the link indicates that it's guidance rather than rules, that puts a somewhat different complexion on your conclusion that "it is likely that is the exception the Independent would seek to rely on". Specifically, it indicates that the Independent might well argue about the fairness of the "fair dealing" involved in any quoting, and therefore that anyone quoting it would be well advised to keep well within the established boundaries of "fair dealing".

melonfool wrote:" the "not likely to be fair" wording is rather too vague to be a legal test."

I don't think TLF is interested in getting into any 'legal test', that's kind of the whole point.

Yes, and as I think the rest of what I wrote made clear, I've got that point: TLF does not want to risk getting into any sort of legal trouble, and I completely understand why not. But that position is basically "we don't want to take any more risk than we can help, and if the copyright owner objects to quoting, that indicates a risk we want to avoid, whether or not their position is legally justified", and it does not depend on any legal arguments.

You chose nevertheless to engage with the legal arguments in the comments I addressed - which is fair enough, but I think it's also fair enough to reply to say that the way you've engaged with the legal arguments is misleading. I don't expect that to change the position TLF has chosen to take, but I do expect it to affect readers' understanding of the legal position they are in.

One other comment on TLF's position: I get the feeling that there is also an element of "we don't want our position to impose any more work on moderators than we can help". But actually, I think it imposes more than it needs to - specifically, the need to check when the question arises whether a site's terms & conditions forbid quoting, which (a) can involve quite a bit of searching - some sites are very coy about their terms & conditions, and (b) as this thread has indicated can involve quite a messy decision rather than a straightforward yes/no answer. In addition, I very much doubt that you're going to get many posters doing that work every time they want to quote something, so I expect the question to arise quite often...

It would IMHO be no more risky and quite a bit less work for moderators to simply have guidelines that stay well within the boundaries of "fair dealing" plus a practice of automatically deleting quotes if and when the copyright owner objects. Those guidelines could be something like:

* you must attribute a quote, with a link if possible (it's not always - e.g. someone might quote from a printed book);
* the quote must be a small part of what it comes from;
* you must comment on the quote;
* the quote must be no more than is needed for your comments;
* you mustn't use well-established unfair quoting tactics such as quoting out of context, editing the quote to change its meaning, or editing the quote without leaving a clear indication that you've done so.

They can all be checked in the quoting post itself or the attribution link (if it exists) - which should both make it easier for moderators to check up on it when the question arises and make it arise less often because posters are more likely to 'self-police'.

Gengulphus

hamzahf
Lemon Slice

Postby hamzahf » August 17th, 2017, 10:35 am

mc2fool wrote:I think you'll find that most commercial sites have such a rule. I've already pointed out two earlier in this thread, the FT and the BBC, and Nimrod103 has pointed out the Telegraph too.

That seems to favour Stooz's view that we are better not to quote from other sites. I don't find that a satisfactory solution. However, I may adopt the practice used by one of the contributors on this site (Avconway) to attach a bibliography at the end of a post. That feels to me more like writing a Wikipedia entry or scientific paper rather than a literary discussion (where one quotes text from a source for analysis). Quoting relevant source material makes for easier reading, and as those familiar with scientific papers know when something is cited one can be rather underwhelmed when obliged to seek at the source material oneself and decide it wasn't exactly worth the effort to support the statement being made in the paper.

BTW I note on the Independent's Syndication Request Form that re-publishing links to their articles does not require prior permission as long as only the headline and URL are being displayed. Cough, that was almost a direct quote but I feel I am doing their work for them so am feeling rather blasé about this issue with respect to their T&Cs!

http://www.independent.co.uk/syndicatio ... ision-form

I am reminded of the pain of filling out copyright forms for every photocopy request submitted to our company library many years ago. Coupled to my comments above about the eventual value of some of those references this brings back a frustrating period of my research career where seeking legal cover proved to be an unnecessary extra burden. I digress, sorry.

Regards
Hamzah

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 17th, 2017, 11:11 am

There seems to be some confusion about whether TLF is or is not a commercial website, with regard to copyright rules from some sources.

I would have thought that it is a commercial website but will admit that I wouldn't know for sure.

Anyone have a definitive call on this?

John

hamzahf
Lemon Slice

Postby hamzahf » August 17th, 2017, 11:21 am

I am not particularly good at reading legal documents. This is a link to the Guardian's Open Licence Terms.

http://syndication.theguardian.com/open-licence-terms/

Up to 100 words for a short quotation excluding any advertising or endorsement use; and

Can I assume that this condition is pertinent to quoting Guardian content on this site rather than the longer word count allowed below

Up to 500 words in a personal blog along with a link back to theguardian.com

Their licence contains some detailed restrictions about retaining links and watermarks that may or may not be pertinent to a short 100 word quotation (I restate that I don't really follow legal documents that use multi-part levels of increasing detail). Does anyone understand that restriction?

Regards
Hamzah

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 17th, 2017, 11:35 am

I cannot believe that this discussion is still going on. Please get it all in perspective. Let me repeat what I wrote earlier in case you missed it (or chose to ignore it).

Moderator Message:
Nothing major has changed at The Lemon Fool with regard to copyright

If a publisher allows selective, short quotations with URL links to the original article then that is fine by TLF. We expect that to remain the default position for most sources and our rules have not changed in that regard.

What we have added to the rules is a comment that says some websites (like the Independent) prohibit any quoting whatsoever. The owners and Mods of TLF do not have the time to research all the potential sources of your quotes, so we expect you to know the Ts & Cs of the sites that you quote from and to act responsibly and to abide by those Ts & Cs. Where we find out that you have not abided by them, we will delete the quotations. That is not carte blanche to do as you please - it is passing the onus to you the poster. Anyone knowingly breaking the Ts & Cs of the source website risks being banned from TLF. The same applies for repeat offenders.

Hopeful that should clear things up and allow everyone to keep their hair on :D

Can I suggest that we all return to posting as normal on interesting topics elsewhere?

Thank you
Clariman

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 17th, 2017, 11:42 am

Clariman wrote:Can I suggest that we all return to posting as normal on interesting topics elsewhere?

The problem is that you are telling us that we aren't allowed to post if the Independent publishes an interesting article, particularly if we disagree with something it says.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 17th, 2017, 11:57 am

Alaric wrote:
Clariman wrote:Can I suggest that we all return to posting as normal on interesting topics elsewhere?

The problem is that you are telling us that we aren't allowed to post if the Independent publishes an interesting article, particularly if we disagree with something it says.

That is not accurate on a number of counts. Firstly, it is the Independent that is prohibiting their material being quoted. We are simply trying to be respectful of that and drawing it to Fools' attention. Secondly, you can still post links to Independent articles and you can argue about their contents. You just need to find a way of doing so that does not break their Ts & Cs.

As I said, I think we all need to keep this in proportion and return to our regular posting activities.

Clariman

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 17th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Clariman wrote:Firstly, it is the Independent that is prohibiting their material being quoted.

Have they actually written to you demanding this, or is this just a case of gold plating a theoretical condition in their T&Cs?

If the Independent are really trying to rewrite the long standing understandings on fair use, I would have expected a wider media circus of protest.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”