Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Is there notification of deleted posts?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Is there notification of deleted posts?

Postby Wizard » October 29th, 2017, 6:57 pm

If one of our posts is deleted by a mod do we get any notification of it? I think one of my posts has been deleted or I have an IT glitch and I am trying to work out which. I seem to recall on TMF when somethjng was deleted you received a message to explain why, is it the same on TLF or not?

Terry.

P.S. I consider this on topic for this board as the post concerned was on this board, so posting here will be seen by mods for this board.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Re: Is there notification of deleted posts?

Postby Raptor » October 29th, 2017, 7:03 pm

Moderator Message:
Have moved from HYP Practical as not relevant to that board. Raptor.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » October 29th, 2017, 7:03 pm

Wizard wrote:If one of our posts is deleted by a mod do we get any notification of it? I think one of my posts has been deleted or I have an IT glitch and I am trying to work out which. I seem to recall on TMF when somethjng was deleted you received a message to explain why, is it the same on TLF or not?

Terry.

P.S. I consider this on topic for this board as the post concerned was on this board, so posting here will be seen by mods for this board.

No, there is no automatic deletion notice as far as I am aware. Nor do I think it was automatic at TMF, in that some mass deletions on particularly contentious threads did not always result in mass notifications - not that that is relevant here.

Reporting your post will ensure it is brought to the attention of the mods.

Edit: It looks like one has seen your post.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » October 29th, 2017, 7:08 pm

For Clariman's explanation of deletion notices, see viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2847&hilit=deletion+notice#p26781 and later mention of the jangly key log.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » October 29th, 2017, 7:18 pm

As pinkdalek says there is no automatic notification for deleted posts in php that has been set up by the administrators. If you check the sanctions section of the rules you will see that no notification of deletions is a possibility with no reason given, especially if it does break the rules.

There are other reasons for no notification as pinkdalek mentioned. If a moderator removes a reported post and other posts refer to it then it is not practical to inform everyone as php has no means for us to do that automatically.

Moderators have different styles and various forums mean different approaches are needed. Whether they make a note that text has been deleted or just delete the post does depend on content as well.

Hope this helps.

Raptor

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » October 29th, 2017, 8:05 pm

Wizard wrote:If one of our posts is deleted by a mod do we get any notification of it? I think one of my posts has been deleted or I have an IT glitch and I am trying to work out which.
Terry.

Terry,

You don't have an IT glitch. One of your posts on the "Poll" thread was indeed deleted by me, earlier today. The rules relating to discussion of moderation decisions probably prevent me from saying much more than it wasn't judged to be conducive to a civil discussion, and that a complaint had been received.

Anyway, you don't have an IT glitch.

MDW1954

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » October 29th, 2017, 8:29 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
Wizard wrote:If one of our posts is deleted by a mod do we get any notification of it? I think one of my posts has been deleted or I have an IT glitch and I am trying to work out which.
Terry.

Terry,

You don't have an IT glitch. One of your posts on the "Poll" thread was indeed deleted by me, earlier today. The rules relating to discussion of moderation decisions probably prevent me from saying much more than it wasn't judged to be conducive to a civil discussion, and that a complaint had been received.

MDW1954

==============================

so we dont really know why it was deleted , what it said , and very importantly , who reported it !

thats not open and transparent at all .

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » October 29th, 2017, 9:08 pm

jackdaww wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:
Terry.

Terry,

MDW1954

==============================

so we dont really know why it was deleted , what it said , and very importantly , who reported it !

Well I guess if I repeat it word for word then it will be reported again and deleted again. To protect my own reputation (which I think is a reasonable thing to do) it did not involve any swearing, name calling, racism, sexism or similar. It simply questioned whether there had been any point in conducting the poll, given the result and subsequent postings. Hopefully this post will not be deemed delete-worthy.

Terry.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » October 30th, 2017, 8:10 pm

jackdaww wrote:

Moderator Message:
text removed. Not needed comment. Raptor

I try to do PMs but they are manual so I have to remember whose post it was I deleted, remember how to spell their username then go and find them in the user-list to go to their profile and press the PM button. If I delete a few in one thread I just do a message on the thread to say there have been deletions. They may not all be for the same reason though, some might be simply for dangling offences.

We never say who reported them/it. It is a bugbear of mine that posts can only be reported once, something I have asked admin to look at changing as I think it's useful to know if a post is reported more than once. Also, it might be reported for different reasons.

Mel

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 30th, 2017, 8:16 pm

melonfool wrote: I have to remember whose post it was I deleted, remember how to spell their username then go and find them in the user-list to go to their profile and press the PM button.

I obviously do not see what you see but I would have thought that it's better to do it the other way around. In other words, if you see a post that you intend to delete, then:

1) Click on the username associated with that post and send them a message
2) Delete the post

That way you don't have to remember the username and how to spell it etc. And you don't have to remember to PM them after the deletion. You do have to remember to delete the post, of course . . :)

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » October 30th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Lootman wrote:
melonfool wrote: I have to remember whose post it was I deleted, remember how to spell their username then go and find them in the user-list to go to their profile and press the PM button.

I obviously do not see what you see but I would have thought that it's better to do it the other way around. In other words, if you see a post that you intend to delete, then:

1) Click on the username associated with that post and send them a message
2) Delete the post

That way you don't have to remember the username and how to spell it etc. And you don't have to remember to PM them after the deletion. You do have to remember to delete the post, of course . . :)

You know - I have a job.
I work *more than* full time.
And I volunteer to do this too.

The priority a lot of the time is to ensure the post is removed before people start quoting it. Sending a PM is secondary.

Moderator Message:
text removed. Please take care on emotion. Raptor

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » October 30th, 2017, 10:12 pm

Moderator Message:
text removed. Previous posts edited/deleted. Raptor

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 30th, 2017, 10:16 pm

I think there is a lot of goodwill towards the sponsors of this site, mostly because of its origins in the now largely redundant TMF. So you will not hear any criticism from me, nor from most others, about the duo who took a risk and made the effort to get this thing up and running.

That is not to say that the moderation here is impeccable, and I think that most here would like to see that evolve towards a better standard. The comments in this thread are mostly orientated towards that goal, and not intended as challenging the ethos of the site or its sponsors.

Moderator Message:
edited as quoted post text removed. Raptor

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » October 30th, 2017, 10:32 pm

Lootman wrote:Ithink there is a lot of goodwill towards the sponsors of this site, mostly because of its origins in the now largely redundant TMF. So you will not hear any criticism from me, nor from most others, about the duo who took a risk and made the effort to get this thing up and running.

That is not to say that the moderation here is impeccable, and I think that most here would like to see that evolve towards a better standard. The comments in this thread are mostly orientated towards that goal, and not intended as challenging the ethos of the site or its sponsors.

====================

there is certainly good will from me , on the grounds that it BETTER than TMF , fewer posts deleted , more tolerant .

i very much hope today is a one off .

Moderator Message:
edited as previous quote removed. Raptor

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » October 31st, 2017, 10:26 pm

Wizard wrote:Well I guess if I repeat it word for word then it will be reported again and deleted again. To protect my own reputation (which I think is a reasonable thing to do) it did not involve any swearing, name calling, racism, sexism or similar. It simply questioned whether there had been any point in conducting the poll, given the result and subsequent postings.

And to protect my own reputation (which I also think is a reasonable thing to do) it wasn't me who complained! ;)

There may not have been much point in conducting the poll, but 106 people thought it worth voting, and I personally found the results very interesting.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » November 1st, 2017, 7:16 am

Clitheroekid wrote:
Wizard wrote:Well I guess if I repeat it word for word then it will be reported again and deleted again. To protect my own reputation (which I think is a reasonable thing to do) it did not involve any swearing, name calling, racism, sexism or similar. It simply questioned whether there had been any point in conducting the poll, given the result and subsequent postings.

And to protect my own reputation (which I also think is a reasonable thing to do) it wasn't me who complained! ;)

There may not have been much point in conducting the poll, but 106 people thought it worth voting, and I personally found the results very interesting.

I never thought it was, as it was a post on a different poll to the one you started :lol: .

Terry.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”