Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Several quotes when replying

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Several quotes when replying

Postby Jonetc15 » November 4th, 2017, 9:06 pm

I often want to write a single reply to several posts but wonder how I can copy and paste more than one extract from several posts so that I deal with several contributors in one reply - if you know what I mean... I.e. how do I copy and paste from one post and answer it and then copy and paste from another post and answer that, and then repeat?

Jon

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Several quotes when replying

Postby Itsallaguess » November 4th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:
I often want to write a single reply to several posts but wonder how I can copy and paste more than one extract from several posts so that I deal with several contributors in one reply - if you know what I mean... I.e. how do I copy and paste from one post and answer it and then copy and paste from another post and answer that, and then repeat?

You can do it quite easily, although you will need to manually manipulate some of the TLF quote fields in your reply to do so.

It might be easier to open the different quotes you're wanting to reply to in different tabs in your browser, so you can flip between them and copy the relevant text from each post, and make sure that you're getting the exact poster-name correctly identified in the quote tags.

Here's an example that I've just fudged, to help show the reply-text in the lower section that you'd need to replicate in a similar way, and also how it would look on the Lemon Fool post itself -

Does that help at all?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 4th, 2017, 9:21 pm

Once you post a reply then you can scroll down and scroll through the whole thread and highlight any text you wish, copy and past and then use the quote button above.

So although there is only one other message on this thread I can sort of demonstrate by taking a few words at a time as if they were from different posts.

Like this
@poster1
I often want to write a single reply to several posts

and this
@poster2
but wonder how I can copy and paste more than one extract from several posts so that I deal with several contributors in one reply

and this
@poster3
if you know what I mean

and this
@poster4
I.e. how do I copy and paste from one post and answer it and then copy and paste from another post and answer that, and then repeat?

EDIT: You can then just add @Poster to show who you are responding to...they won't get a notification though.
John
Last edited by redsturgeon on November 4th, 2017, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 4th, 2017, 9:27 pm

1) Press the quote button on the original post. This adds the entire post to your reply.
2) When typing any reply, go to the old posts which appear in reverse order below where you are typing. You can either:
A) press the quote button in any previous post to include the entire post in your reply
B) select part of the post and press the quote button to include only the selected part of the post
3) you can manually insert quotes by typing the correct control codes, like this, only without the spaces. And paste in whatever they said from another browser window.
[ quote = "MadeUpName" ] message [ / quote ]
MadeUpName wrote:They didn't really say this. I made it up.
Very naughty. Do not do this!

Gryff

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 4th, 2017, 10:29 pm

You might perhaps want to move this to the biscuit bar.

Moderator Message:
Agreed and moved from DAK (Edited by RS)(chas49)

There's a "multiquote" function available (possibly as an add-on) for phpbb. Select all the messages you want to quote before hitting reply, and they'll all appear in your reply. Then do your own editing, such as cutting each quoted message down to the specific passage you want to address.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » November 5th, 2017, 10:31 am

Where was this posted originally? I ask as I seemed to have missed this discussion.

When I move a "topic" I always say "moved from xxxxx" so posters get an idea of why it was moved....

Raptor.

Moderator Message:
It was moved from DAK, message amended above

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » November 9th, 2017, 5:03 pm

I am very embarrassed not to have thanked everyone who so very kindly replied, at considerable length and in detail. No excuse - only a feeble explanation that I have waited to write a reply which showed that I have mastered the art of referring to/quoting from various posts in one reply.

I really appreciate all the time and trouble taken to help not only me but probably many other folk reading this thread. I hope to post a further reply to show that the advice has been absorbed and appreciated.

ATB

Jon

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 9th, 2017, 5:13 pm

My method:

1) Reply to the earliest message first using the quote button. Remove all extraneous text, compose your reply, but do not send it. Instead copy the result.

2) Go to the next message you want to reply to. Again use the quote button but before composing paste the text from (1) at the beginning.

3) Then repeat (1) with the active post. Copy the result.

4) Repeat (2) and (3) until you are finished, then send.

The biggest problem is getting the quotes aligned right if you are removing large amounts of text, which you probably should otherwise your post will be very long and confusing.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”